2019 Stash Management - Page 103
Page 103 of 194 FirstFirst ... 35393100101102103104105106113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It seems like a lot of work for rendezvousing, so I don't think I'd want to do it alone. I've thought about it. I think I'm getting too old and lazy now.

I got the undamaged handle openings done on one of the basket covers, and the incorrect ones patched. I hope to get the damaged openings redone tomorrow without any further problems. I just want to get the project done. I also have to add snaps to keep the covers in place and sew in the lining, then add Contact paper to the cardboard bottoms. Once the handles are dealt with, the rest should be simple.

I also got the primer on the salvaged table. I'll take it to Mom's tomorrow to see if it fits where she needs it and if she wants it. Then I will paint it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It would be less fun alone, true. If you know people who are already doing it, you could ask to join their camp. Folks like that usually have loaner gear. Then you could try it, with minimal investment, and not be alone.

Looking forward to seeing the finished baskets.

I got the %$#@! elastic on my shoes. I think my days of hand sewing are nearing an end. I almost cannot thread a needle anymore, and it's not just my eyes.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know anyone who goes to rendezvous. I know I couldn't deal with sleeping on the ground anymore either, and I think people do that. The people I've talked to said they can't use anything in their camps that wasn't available during the fur trade era. I don't think our Aliner qualifies.

Sorry about the needle threading.

I'm looking forward to seeing the basket covers, too. That will mean they're finally done. I'm thinking I should frame the blocks with narrow bias tape, maybe brown or forest green. Here's what I have now. I think framing the blocks would make them stand out.
    2019 Stash Management-20190719_140528_1564057088707.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got the Christmas pattern finished and a start on the cat head. I’ll probably do the small shell next. It’s saved from a book and there’s a larger shell I also like on the back of it. They use a lot of the same colors so I pulled the rest of the thread and fabric for that too. After I get a few of these small ones done I’ll get out the iron, press them and post the pics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    It seems like a lot of work for rendezvousing, so I don't think I'd want to do it alone. I've thought about it. I think I'm getting too old and lazy now.
    SD, I think you are about the least lazy person I know. You are always doing projects.

There are things that look really fun when we see them online or on TV. But I think with age comes the wisdom that not every "fun" thing will be fun for you.

I know I am not into adventurous things and neither is my husband.

I have Friday and Monday off. I might be getting my ID renewed on Monday though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent a frustrating afternoon looking for buckles for this costume. I need 5, HL had two but I did not want to buy them if I could not get them all the same. JA had none in the size I need. I will have to mail order.

I picked up a few remnants, (they are still 50% +25% off) one is a sweet fall/winter print with deer and holly. Might be good for table napkins or a new potholder. They were also clearing out the Warm&Natural quilt batts, 50%+25% off so I got two of those.

Kathy, hope getting your new ID doesn't take long. I've got to renew mine this year, need the new federal compliant ones to travel, and the rates are going up too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Kathy. Wish I could get more done than I do.

Hope you find the buckles you need, CH. I can often find good prices on eBay if I need multiples of something. The deer and holly fabric sounds pretty.

I got the holes for the handles done on the second basket cover, so the ordeal should be over now. I'm still licking my wounds but it could be worse. Next will be sewing on 8 big snaps on each cover, then the linings. I'm debating if I want to work on them by hand. They're big enough to do on the machine, but we're under yet another storm warning again. We're barely on the leading edge but it's been thundering for a while now and my machines are already unplugged. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got a nice comment on my badge lanyard today so I want to make 1 or 2 more. Spent time rummaging around in the button/snap container and the bead box and random broken jewelry from mom. I found a 15" gold necklace that I reworked the findings and doubled the chain to make a 7.5" 2-strand bracelet. Now it will be worn. If I had thought about it I could have strung a couple of beads onto the chain before reattaching the finding. But I'm not going to take it apart again. Maybe I will try that on a silver chain. There are plenty of materials for experimentation.

I also found a small pearl on an un-mated earring that was close enough to fill in for a missing pearl on a pearl & amethyst (probably really just purple glass) pin. I used Elmer's glue and it got smeared around a bit. Hopefully it does dry clear.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got 2 snaps sewed on. Two. Four pieces. Took at least an hour. 28 to go. Ugh. Don't think I'm going to sew any more by hand because why?

We got a lot of distant thunder and about 1.5" of rain, but not the potential 60 mph wind and penny sized hail. We've been lucky dodging the worst so far. Hope it continues.

Today's goal is to finish up the basket covers. Then I need to clear some space on the work table so I can go back to working on the AAR. Also need to paint Mom's little table. Odds and ends of stuff. Supposed to be rainy off and on today, so don't know if we'll get anything done outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today is supposed to be housework day but I woke up too early congested, stuffy headed and headachy. I knew I would feel better sitting up so I’m short on sleep too. I’ll see how the day goes. Probably by afternoon I can tackle the drudgery.

I finished the cat and got about two thirds of the little shell done. I love seashells and have some great patterns for them. There is a set of larger ones made from watercolors with unstitched areas, so the fabric has to be right since it becomes part of the shell. Going through the fabrics the other day I found the one I would like to use but I was looking for smaller patterns. I’ve about decided though that I am going to pull one of those patterns and do that next.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, I love how you just zip through that stitching. Hope your head clears up soon. I got an ugly sore throat yesterday, hoping that the old gargle-with-saltwater trick will do it. Looks a bit better this morning, easier to swallow.

SD, snaps are a PITA. If you are careful, you can use the hand wheel on your machine to tack them down. Zig-zag, no feed dogs. I do buttons that way.

BIL & SIL got in ok last night. Love them, but OMG, the drama. Hoping today will be more relaxed.

Dlr, the jewelry makeover sounds cool. Nice to have something 'new' and sparkly.

I found some buckles on ebay, but have not ordered yet. I want to start on the test garment today. Won't have much time, there is a gardening talk I want to go to at noon, then DH wants everyone to meet up for lunch after.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started some new cording on the lucet. I was using the dishcloth yarn. Since the yarn is less smooth it offers much more resistance. I thought it was harder but not too bad. My initial thought was I will do one pair of shoe soles only then go back to the other yarn.

But after around half an hour my hands are stiff and sore. So I will drop the new cording and switch back to a smoother yarn.

I can't imagine doing this with jute which is even rougher.

I am glad that my first random attempt used smoother yarn.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope everyone feels better soon.

Kathy, there's a learning curve for everything. Sounds like you're picking up valuable knowledge about your cording.

CH, I just use the button setting on my machines, pretty much the same process you suggest.

Drama? Sounds intriguing.

D, you're a speed demon with your crafts. Can't wait to see pics. I like seashells, too.

I'm calling the basket covers done. They're both sewn and the cardboard on one has its Contact paper applied. Since the baskets are identical, I only brought one in to clutter up the place. The other is still in the camper, which is closed. It will only take a couple minutes to apply the Contact paper to the cardboard for that one once I can get it. The handles fold down either to the inside or outside of the baskets, perfect for the space in the camper, so the openings for the handles have to be deep enough for the handles to lay flat either way. Here's the outside all done.
    2019 Stash Management-20190726_121504_1564163380182.jpg
    And the inside. I left long tails on the lining, so those just tuck under the cardboard. The thin nylon is perfect for that.
    2019 Stash Management-20190726_121518_1564163431884.jpg
    Here it is partially packed. Canned stuff stays packed the whole season to save packing time. The other basket has staple foods.
    2019 Stash Management-20190726_121723_1564163571094.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the wool afgan for a friend last night. It's slow going, though. At least it's been cool enough to actually work with the wool yarn. I do have a lapgan WIP that I can switch over to if it does get too warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the basket project, I used up some more of the nylon pieces I had cut for a defunct project. Along with the AAR skirt, I've now used up most of the scrap ripstop, and was able to move the hot air balloon nylon into the pail with the ripstop, which emptied the double shoebox I had that in. Progress, and it feels good to use up the scrappy stuff instead of cutting more off the roll. Some of it, like the bottoms of the basket covers, are very pieced together, but it doesn't matter and helped use up scraps. I'm happy with being able to use up so much stuff I was keeping for "someday". I hate piecing stuff because it's easier to just rip what I need off the roll, so I'm glad I made myself fiddle with piecing things.

I've been having problems with my serger refusing to cut anything. Tried to fix that today and couldn't. Now it won't pull the fabric under the needles either. I tried for 2 hrs and didn't get it fixed, so it's going in. I suspect it's just some kind of adjustment, and since it's overdue for professional maintenance anyway, I'm hoping it won't cost any extra to fix it.

The camper has two long fabric flaps that snap on the inside of the roof sidewalls to cover wiring and other stuff. I brought in the one from the front wall a while ago, thinking of putting a couple pockets on it for Husby's cell phone, charger, and ear buds. But I decided not to. The long panel got buried on my table. Today it turned up, and I happened to have a perfect scrap from the baskets so I did the pockets after all, and had a good scrap of nylon to line it, too. Husby's bed is right by the pockets and he likes to read with his phone, so will need a place to put it away when he wants to go to sleep. It should work nicely, I hope.
    2019 Stash Management-20190726_141118_1564173792570.jpg