2019 Stash Management - Page 105
Page 105 of 143 FirstFirst ... 55595102103104105106107108115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 2132
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pieced a small quilt block, only about 8" square. Undecided what it will become.

I pulled a random box of fabric from the closet, stuff in there I forgot I had. 1 piece perfect width & length for a lanyard so I made it. More scraps of same fabric, it would be good to think of something useful. I already have a skirt from that fabric, maybe it needs a pocket. Or even trim a simple top with same fabric as the skirt--sounds like a plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The quilt block would make a nice size potholder or hot pad for the table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the wool afgan for my friend. It was surprisingly not too uncomfortable this weekend to work on it. Didn't do much, otherwise, over the weekend.

I did find the other Farmer's Market I had heard about for years but never went to before. It was smaller than I had imagined it would be and reminded me more of some of the flea markets I've gone to in the past. But there was more food there than the actual flea markets. Still, I did find a vendor who sells handmade soaps, which I prefer over store bought soaps. And I liked the scents better than the ones I get at my 'home' market, now that my friend no longer makes her soaps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's good to see you're feeling better. Ren.

Husby went shopping again, and took my serger in for $130 in service. I hope it won't be more than that. It's supposed to be done in 3 weeks. I will miss it.

I made new pockets for the camper flap. These actually work. The problem with the first version was the slope of the roof prevented anything from slipping into the pockets because they were too close to the roof. The horizontal pockets work fine. I'm not wild about the placement, but that's what will work the best. I used up two of the scraps from the basket covers and 2 more nylon scraps. Now there are 4 pockets instead of 2 for his ear buds, phone, charger, and watch and Fitbit.
    2019 Stash Management-20190729_122755_1564424750385.jpg

I decided to work on giving up canned beans except for travel. It's hard to buy canned salt-free food locally without special ordering. I can also get a bigger variety here with dry beans. Cooking them in the rice cooker is easy, doesn't require soaking, doesn't take that long, and I don't have to hover over them while they cook. I can see there will be a little bit of a learning curve to get them just right, but it won't take too much practice. I have a whole drawer full of assorted dry beans which are all well past exploration, so at the least, I need to use those up. I found out 3 lbs of beans fit in a ½ gallon jar, so now I'm trying to figure out how to make pantry space for a collection of jars. It's depressing because it's starting to seem like the entire pantry needs a big makeover. Pinterest might give me some ideas. Sounds like a winter project though. Maybe I could just add 4" to the front of some shelves or something. Or move the dwindling liquor collection to the pantry and use that pull-out for the bean jars. Much more thought is required.

Trying to drum up some enthusiasm for working on the AAR, but nah so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, SD. I am feeling better although I still get itchy in the evenings. That and my skin's still on the dry side. Right now, I'm not looking forward to going to the Dr. again, regarding the BP meds. The first set of meds made my feet swell (which has finally gone down again). And the second cause the severe allergic rash. Sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are lots of BP meds. You will find one that works for you.

I finally made cowboy caviar, which is why was cooking beans. It turned out good! I think it might work for travel too. https://pin.it/jwwagz7ceas6yv

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some fabric I ordered from ebay has arrived, as well as the zipper pulls from etsy. Right now it is just sitting on the ironing board. No progress on the costume. Not feeling great today, and among other things I'm feeling way too bloated from all the bbq over the weekend. We were supposed to get a cool front last night, and well, I suppose 89 is cooler than it was a week ago, but it's still hot and muggy.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I traced a top onto tissue paper and cut it out from a small piece of fabric. I'll trim it with the patterned fabric remnants I found last night. I used the Hera marker to mark the lower front neckline. Glad CH explained what it was for. My assistant appears bored with the whole project. Also a pic of the tote bag I mentioned last week.2019 Stash Management-img_0976.jpg2019 Stash Management-cutout-small.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the tote bag.

I’m just cross stitching. I would like to get the shell finished tonight so I can move on to the bluebell fairy, but it may be too much.

The fabric I will use is a 32 count called petals. Onli e it looks like a subtle pastel, but in person it is so pale it’s pretty much just white. Not at all like the image. That happens though buying fabric without seeing it. That’s why with promising colors I always get the smallest cut first. This piece will give me a little less border on the sides than I like. I may have to drop down to a 4” hoop when I’m working near the edge. That’s too small to be comfortable but I can do it if necessary. But first I have to finish the shell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, if I have fabric too small to stitch, I just use a sewing machine to baste a piece of any shirt weight fabric to it so it's big enough to hoop correctly. That works well and the basting pulls out easily when all the stitching is done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is another hot day here as well. I am starting to understand the phrase "lazy days of summer." It is a nice way of saying, I don't feel like doing much because it is too hot. I am so very grateful for good AC at home and at work. But I still have to be out a little bit. And I normally take afternoon walks, which I have not been doing as much of lately. I miss that.

I have made some progress on the shoes. But I find I can only work on it in spurts. It is kind of a psychologically thing. The shoes take lots of trial and error. I find I can only take so much trial and error before I have to go back to something with a good success rate.

On the plus hand, the cork fabric and the extra thin shoe leather are both fairly easy to sew. The cork fabric is really thin. But it seems to have a decent combination of flexibility and stiffness to work well for shoes. I think I would say around what I might get for a medium weight vinyl. I think it looks fairly good. The first one I came up with is a little too boxy. I want something with a little more wiggle room in the toes than standard, but not something that looks too boxy.

I am starting to get mixed feelings on the crochet soles. I was planning on designing it so the crochet showed on the insole. It would be a deliberate design element. But now I am wondering if it looks too casual for work.

I am also rethinking the sole design. I am thinking of trying cutting a layer or three of the soling material (this is material deliberately designed for insoles) and sewing fabric around it. Then it could be sewn to the thin (outer) sole material I have. The insole material is hard to sew through. But I think I could sew material around it without sewing through it. Then I could sew the bottom sole and the top of the shoe through the fabric.

I also have a the base of a pair of flip flops that I might do the same covering treatment to. The base of that is pretty sturdy, unlike the dollar store flip flops that squish down almost as much as a sponge. It may even be worth getting more cheap flip flops to use a the base for soles.

I am also thinking of other things that might be good for the filler layer for the soles. It might work to just uses layers of cloth, but it would be quite a few layers, unless I could find something pretty thick. I am toying with the idea of getting a bunch wool batting and felting it into thick sheets. I read somewhere that felted wool was first created by people who stuffed wool in their boots to keep their feet warm. I feel like a thick wool sole would be good to have for shoes in the winter. Sometimes the bottom of my feet feel cold when I am walking standing on icy or snowy ground.

The sides of these improvised soles would either be covered with cork or with a layer of cord. This would make them look more the sides of shoes.

So in short, the whole time I was working on my shoes prototype, I kept thinking of ways that might make it better. But I still feel like I should finish the one I am doing now. Now that I think about it, this might be what is making me less motivated to finish the work in progress I have.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That’s a good idea, SD. I’m more like to hand baste it though. I could pull out the sewing machine since I’ve been wanting to make a pillow case, but I’m not really in the mood to do that now.

I didn’t finish the shell last night but I’m nearing the top where it sharply narrows to a point. I can probably finish that this morning, and then have to do some sort of border. This afternoon I need to do some housework, but after that I’ll get bluebell ready to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished a puzzle. It is missing pieces. Some of the cheaper brands have quality control issues. But the puzzles I get as gifts tend to be the cheaper kind.

2019 Stash Management-img_20190730_140135592_1564509859164.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, you can buy wool felted insoles already made and shaped. They're used in mukluks and pac boots and other cold weather footwear. We have them in all our muks and mocs. They do smash down after a while and get quite thin. Then I add another layer. I've also used sheepskin to DIY them. I see Amazon has a nice selection of different types of wool insoles. I might have to give some of those a try myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Working on a simple top to match the remnants and existing skirt. I copied an existing top onto tissue paper and used that for the pattern. If this works I'll do another one or 2 tops to match existing skirts.