2019 Stash Management - Page 108
Page 108 of 194 FirstFirst ... 85898105106107108109110111118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the trip, SD. I prefer day trips where I can go out and see/do things within an easy drive of my house. At most, I go places I can reach by train, again, mostly for day trips. Either way, I do take into account how much travel time is required, either by road or train. Then again, I'm an administrative assistant so I make travel plans for people on a regular basis so I always have the thought of travel time stuck in my head. That includes figuring out what the hours are for car rental places so my boss has time to pick up/drop off his rental.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I plan day trips, too. I don't think Husby even realizes that. It's why we we can't ever just grab the keys and walk out the door.

I do like planning long trips. It's half the fun of the trip. Plus good, detailed planning means we always have what we need and usually get to see the things we wanted to. When I plan, I also calculate gas costs at our local price per gallon, plus cost based on .50 and then $1/gallon more, in case of price increases due to price spikes or regional differences. Not that it matters, since we're not going to not come home if gas prices go up, but at least it helps avoid sticker shock.

We like long trips to get us out of our bubble. It gives us a better understanding of other people if we see different climates, cultures, regions, etc. It makes us slightly less ignorant, always a good thing, and opens up our minds, never a waste of time. It's always a good reminder just how dang big this country is, how varied it is, how beautiful it is, and how lucky we are to be Americans. That's the best part of traveling for me.

I had a binder I used just for travel, and itineraries for past trips as well as trips we haven't taken yet. I found the binder, but the itineraries aren't in it. I've been liiking for them for weeks. It's a frustration. I know I wouldn't have thrown them away, and I can't think of any reason I would have taken them out of the binder. Very annoying, because I don't want to have to redo them all.

We're under a severe thunderstorm warning, so no outside work yet.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today’s ambition is to finish the large skirt on bluebell. The wings are much larger on this one than on most but I plan to work around them and do them last since they are all metallic thread, also unusual for her patterns I’ve seen, and I want to avoid crunching it in the hoop as much as possible. I have some of the rectangular plastic frames I can put it in for the beading, at least I think I can, but I don’t really like working on them.

I was looking at the bird pattern again last night I love so much , the one that turned out to be pure confetti. I might get a piece of the fabric with a grid marked on it. I’ve never used it but it might make the pattern possible, if still really a pain. 123 Stitch only has it in evenweave, but I might look around and see if I can find it in aida. I really want to do the pattern. It’s a stylized bright colored toucan, not realistic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like planning trips, too. I don't have to have every detail down, but it makes the vacation so much more enjoyable to have goals and expectations laid out. There's fewer regrets "Oh, we could have seen/done that if we knew about it" and fewer emergencies "Yes, I brought bug spray and sunburn lotion". When we need to stop in the middle of nowhere I have an idea where the good stops are, and can say "In 30 minutes we'll be at the gigantic truck stop with all the amenities". We are taking a long drive at the end of the month so I need to get out my notebook and look at last year's post-travel notes and start list making.

Home today, should be getting DH's car out of the shop later. Not sure what projects I'll work on. The corset needs a rest. I may do some quilt blocks, something I don't have to think too hard about. Or some pouches, now that I have all my supplies.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have every detail down either, but probably 90%. Bug spray, sun lotion, you betcha. It's so much easier to work off a checklist to pack stuff like that than have to drag a trailer through traffic in an unfamiliar area looking for a WM, or paying three times the normal rate at a campground, or doing without because it's simply not available.

We're still looking for the itineraries. No luck, but Husby did find the travel map we've also been looking for. Finally.
    2019 Stash Management-20190805_105833_1565021488740.jpg
    Now I can figure out how to put it up somewhere in the camper. We bought this years ago in Arkansas. It used to live between the screen and the solid plex panel on the door of our Mustang popup (Sally), but wouldn't fit in the Aliner door. It got misplaced since we bought the Aliner.

I also found my camper Crockpot which wasn't missing but I might be looking for it before long. We can't use it camping around here due to bears, but can take it if we camp outside of bear country. The Crock was in a stupid place I wouldn't think to look, so it's nice it turned up now. I really need to clear out the closet in the cabin and make it into a dedicated space for camping gear, and get it all organized.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found the best price for aida with a grid from a seller on Etsy. I could get 14 or 18 count. After dithering about it I went for the 18 count, a decision I may regret but it’s too late now. It’s white so it should be ok.

I’ve finally decided on the next projects after bluebell. I’ll start the bird but that will be done in small increments because it’s a crazy making pattern and my patience will wear thin quickly. I hope it’s worth it. The other that will be far easier is another of the Nora Corbett fairies- poison ivy. There’s no reason only nice plants should have fairies! It has beautiful bright greens that will be a pleasure to work with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the wool afgan. I'm now on skein #3. It was a bit too warm this past weekend to do much on it and I was out of the house for most of the weekend anyway. But the next few evenings look to be cool enough to work with the wool. Although I have been taking a bit of a walk at some point in the evenings as well as at lunch. I think that's partially because it's been nice enough to make me want to get out of the house more. I think once the temps drop more in the fall and winter, I'll probably end up in the house and get more work done on the WIP's.

It's strange to realize that the sheep and fiber festival's happening in a month now. I have enough yarn for my personal project so I don't ~have~ to buy anything. I think I need to get some more drop spindling tips from there, though.

I have found a new coffee shop to go to on Sundays and try and get some writing done. There's a nice feel to the place so that I don't mind staying for hours. (I do make sure to buy teas while I"m there.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, a poison ivy fairy sounds wickedly fun!

Ren, enjoy the new coffee shop. I have tried a few places around town and usually find them too busy for journaling, but there is one cafe that is not bad by mid afternoon when the lunch crowd is gone. But that assumes I remember to take my book with me. I have gone through this latest one very rapidly and had to order 2 new ones last week.

Speaking of trip planning, we are going to Florida this fall. DH has a professional conference and I am tagging along. Five nights at a resort in Orlando, 2 days and a night at Cocoa Beach. I just spent two hours looking at hotel listings. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get to see some rockets.

Working on pouches. Should have two finished before dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH,
    Doesn't his work take care of hotels since it is work related? I have tagged along with my husband on a few work conferences in the past. We went to Las Vegas, San Antonio and Atlanta - all in the summer. I guess hotels are cheaper in hot places during the summer. His current office does not pay him to go to any work conference though.

SD,
    What is the significance of the states that are filled in? Are they states you have been to?

I have never been on a road trip, since my husband and I don't drive. But I do like to research a city before I travel there. Generally we are pretty good with packing, but we can always buy things at our destination if we need to. Although occasionally it has been more hassle than others. Downtown DC has a Rite Aid about every 5 blocks. These are small stores where you can get medicine, personal care products and snacks. In addition many hotels have little shops where you can find these things. It seem strange to me, but some downtowns are lacking in places like this.

I have started another puzzle. Sometimes I just get in the mood to do puzzle instead of crafts. My current puzzle says "made in the US" but does not have a brand name. It is pretty decent quality, better than I would expect for a no brand puzzle. There are lots of unusual shaped pieces. There are interior pieces with flat sides, which seems a bit unfair. It is a challenging puzzle. I am making decent progress on it, but I am on the hard part now. It is a shaped picture of the Statue of Liberty. The interior has some of the New York skyline. It shows the twin towers intact, but I just got the puzzle new last year. The bottom is a waving flag. I have done the flag and most of the buildings. Now it is time for the statue part. That is trickier, because it is pretty monochrome.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I almost got the skirt finished yesterday. The only thing left on it is a small pale blue fill patch and a larger medium blue fill area. It won’t take long to finish that since fill goes fast. The next step will be her arms and head, then moving on to the umbrella flowers. Since I don’t frame them I need to figure out a border of some sort to give the picture some definition.

I looked at the bird floss list last night. 61 colors. Absurd. None overlap with the poison ivy fairy which is good. When I get tired of stitching I can start setting up the projects. Also the tiny flowers aren’t forgotten, but now I’m in the mood to work on pictures. I have a ton of thread pulled out for the flowers, but it’s almost all Anchor. Fortunately these patterns all use DMC. I went with the Anchor for the flowers because I knew the floss would tied up for a long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, good luck on getting your hotels. If journaling, you mean writing in a journal, moleskin journals now have a larger blank ruled journal size that has nearly double the number of pages as their 'classic' journals. I tend to get them from my local Barnes and Noble so I know I"m getting the ruled journals in hard cover. You can probably order them on line but I tend to be overly cautious, thinking I'll click on the wrong item.

I do like the coffee shop. I've been there in the past but usually just for the War of the Worlds re-broadcasts just before Halloween. For the most part, it's generally not too busy on the few Sunday's I've been there so far, although they did have a bit of a rush around noon. And pretty good on the general volume, with the exception of one couple who decided to yell the whole time during their conference call. They could be heard by everyone in the whole shop, including the kids working in the kitchen in the back.

Been getting some work done on the wool afgan but not as much as I'd like. I think I've been getting a bit stir-crazy with the warm weather and longer days. Although I'm glad to be getting more exercise in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, they do reimburse for conference related expenses, so the 5 nights in Orlando are taken care of, but the night in Cocoa Beach we are on our own. I did not know it was a cruise port, apparently a lot of people travel and get a hotel room the night before their cruise leaves. Demand makes rates higher. The hotels on the ocean side cost more, too, even if they are a block or two from the beach. I was looking for one that offered free breakfast, but most of those were not on the beach side, and had low ratings for comfort and cleanliness. In the end I got a decent, not very expensive (for the area) room only a short walk from the water. We are on our own for meals, and I will probably have my usual snacks, but part of the trip is going to be enjoying the fresh local seafood.

DC, 61 colors! Wow! That will be an impressive piece when it is done. I have done some quilt blocks that had 30-40 pieces to them, and it was very challenging, but came out nice in the end. Still, I couldn't see doing 36 of them to make a quilt. Are you going to tackle it one color at a time, or fill in small areas?

Ren, I'll check out the moleskin next time I'm at a B&N. I have seen them, but they are usually smaller than I'd like, and a bit pricey.

Got to finish the pouches I started yesterday, then I promised to help my dance teacher cut and trim the veils for our troupe. Need to round up some tools for that.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, yes, the stickers on our travel map are states we've been to. We still have so many to go to and so much to see. I cut a chunk of plex and put the map on it last night, then cut some thin disks from some brush laying out in the yard. I thought I could make a frame from those but I hate it, so I'm still thinking about it. The map doesn't have any glue on it. It's like a big window cling. I want to add something to help hold the map to the plex, but not sure what. I think washi tape would be nice, but it seems like I have to buy so much it's not worth it. But I have a few other ideas.

I framed the porch extension while Husby repaired the stair stringers. Then we attached the frame to the old section, and I added the 2 new legs needed. Tomorrow we can add the stringers. After that it's just decking and rails. We can reuse most of the decking. I forgot the dogs will use these steps sometimes, so we will also need to buy lumber for risers to close off the back of the steps. Storm doesn't need to break another leg. Buying the 2 or 3 planks we will need seems like cheap insurance to prevent an accident like that from happening again.

I picked a big pile of purple beans and wax beans, so will cook those up with ham, onion, maybe some water chestnuts and rice. Easy and reasonably healthy and makes good leftovers for lunch. I picked maybe a dozen snap peas, but they're just getting started. Sure wish the rest of the garden was doing so well, but at least we have what we're getting. A couple of the tomato plants are starting to produce, too.

The squash in the cage had lots of buds, all male. Not sure what's going on there. But no little baby squashes yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, this is the size I usually get:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hom...=9788883701122

This is the hard cover one which I prefer. There are two versions, the normal classic and a new 'size' with more pages.

Here's another one which is a bit larger:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hom...=9788867323067

They do come in different colored covers but I tend to like the black covers. I have picked up some green covered ones, mostly for my herbalism classes and the like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

61 colors! That is one of the reasons I decided to go for a more free form embroidery instead of cross stitch. I did do cross stitch in the past though. I have only used a handful of colors for each of the small pieces I have done. I am toying with the idea of doing something free form on cross stitch fabric. I don't have any currently, but I might pick some up.

I also like free from because there is more tolerance of mistakes.
    KathyB