2019 Stash Management - Page 109
Page 109 of 194 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109110111112119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD I read somewhere the squash produces male flowers first to get the bees in the habit of visiting. THEN it puts out the female flowers when the bee visitors should be coming regularly. Plants are SOOOO smart.

I pulled 2 previously-made quilt blocks (same fabrics, reverse colors) and some border/backing fabric to make a table runner. I guess that will be my next project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read about the male flowers being first but it seems like the plant should be getting more blossoms by now. All I can do is wait and see what happens.

Meanwhile, peas and beans!
    2019 Stash Management-20190806_193032_1565140557290.jpg

The modified cabin porch so far.
    2019 Stash Management-20190806_193340_1565141206403.jpg
    If it's not raining we hope to get the stair stringers back on tomorrow. That should be the only time consuming part left. The rest should be total cake, not requiring much thought or skill. It's good we're redoing this because the porch is an old structure and it was built with nails and not screws. We're taking the opportunity to beef up the fasteners and tighten up loose joints while we're focused on it. I hope to get it painted this year, too, but probably won't get that far. It needs paint badly. Lengthening the porch allow Husby to safely reach that half of the gh roof in winter, so he can rake the snow off. That's why it jumped to the top of the priority list, because it's a safety issue for him.

The boardwalk rail in progress. We'll probably get some more lumber for it this week. I want to get it finished. I still suck at angles.
    2019 Stash Management-20190806_192934_1565141449549.jpg

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In my experience the male flowers are around for ~2 weeks before you get female ones. It can seem like a slow start. My cucumbers are doing the same thing. They've been flowering for weeks and I'm only just starting to get fruits. My bush beans are sprouting, I hope we get some rain tonight or tomorrow. Otherwise it will dry out too much.

I spent the afternoon helping my dance teacher cut chiffon. 17 yards of it. My back hurts and I am ready for a good stretch at yoga tomorrow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have read that washi tape is not designed to be particularly sturdy. But it is designed to be repositionable, if you want to change where it is. I was looking into it a couple weeks ago. I was thinking of putting washi tape on the sides of thick soled shoes, such as flip flops. Duct tape makes some tape with decorative patterns. I feel like anything you put up with duct tape is going to be up there pretty permanently.

Last night I remembered that back in high school I would doodle patterns on graph paper by coloring in the little squares. I had a class I need to buy graph paper for, but the class only used up around half a package. I had not thought about that for a long time. It occurs to me that the doodles would be something that could be done on cross stitch fabric.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Washi can be sturdy, but it does not stick well. It depends on the quality. Some of it is better than others. I've had some start to come off the envelope before I get to the post office, and some that I needed scissors to cut. (It is supposed to tear by hand). And there is deco tape, which is plastic and definitely needs scissors. Still, most of it sticks about as well as a post-it. I would not recommend it for holding something heavier than a piece of paper to the wall. If you want to experiment Michael's sells rolls in their dollar bins. Or try etsy. You can buy sample lengths for under a dollar, and have it shipped free, of you search a bit.

Busy day, yoga then hair appt. Will be out most of the day. Then rehearsal tonight!
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Iím not sure how I will work the 61 color pattern because the colors are so scattered. Definitely not one by one on the colors. I never do that anyway. The gridded fabric will help with the counting. Iíve seen suggestions on patterns like this to work them one 10x10 block at a time. Iíve never done that either, but Iím thinking with the grid to help with counting in might try completely working a 20x20 or 30x30 block. The picture that came with the pattern is the computer generated version. Iíve also taken a photo of part of a random pattern page.

The other picture with the toucan is the poison ivy fairy.

While I was taking pictures I did a WIP photo of bluebell.

I committed a wicked, unnecessary spendthrift sin yesterday. While I was looking for the grid fabric on eBay and Etsy I led myself into temptation and started just poking around among the Nora Corbett, the fairy designer, patterns. She also does a lot of mermaids. A beautiful one popped up on eBay. There were a few offered but unhappily, itís an out of print pattern and was going for $45 and up. No way. Checked Etsy. Again $45 +. Except for one seller, apparently a fairly new shop in the Philippines. She had several for $20. I still firmly told myself no - for a couple of days. Yesterday I gave in and ordered it. Shipping was $6, but all the others had added shipping too. The design size is about 10x14. Itís keyed for DMC and only has one Kreinik metallic, which I donít have. I can substitute for the Mill Hill beads from my bead stash, so I donít need to buy a lot of fancy stuff for it. Having a suitable and large enough fabric is iffy. Iíll have to see when the pattern comes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-bd833993-7304-49ea-b11d-7a05e4f61da5.jpg

2019 Stash Management-fa4ebf3c-11d8-4873-acde-bf2588ded824.jpg

2019 Stash Management-34b91806-b0f2-4287-85d5-01df3b721438.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Duct tape is not good for anything that will be abraded. The glue loses strength if it's too cold and gets soft and melty if it's too warm, like from body heat. It shifts around so isn't good for stuff meant to move. It's not waterproof. The glue turns to powder after a few years. There are also different types and some are better than others. It's hard to tell till you buy and try. I wouldn't use it for shoe construction in any way.

We got the stringers attached to the new porch section, so all the real work is done now. Reused the old decking on the extension, so just have to buy 4 pieces of decking and two 1x8s to finish up the steps. It will be a fairly cheap makeover. I've been thinking about adding to the porch for a year or so because there wasn't much room to stand outside the door and open it, but never mentioned the idea to Husby. He brought it up due to the gh roof, and that moved it up the list for safety reasons. It wasn't on my to-do list with everything else we need to do, but since I had been thinking about it for someday, I had an idea how to do it and it went well. It will be good to have it done for several reasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find those complex patterns impossible if I don't partially color them. I know you hate that.

I wuv the toucan! He's going to be so pretty!

I have a booklet of fairies, too. You're making me want to work on one of them. But... too many UFOs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the info about duct tape. I will cross that off my list.

The pattern with all the symbols looks pretty challenging. It seems like the pattern could have been done in color to make it easier. Although if it has 12 shades of blue or something like that, color might not be that helpful.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the table runner quilted, just need to sew down binding on the 2 long sides.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually find itís easier to work from black and white patterns. Just my preference. SD - the only time I partially color a pattern is with the beaded ones. I use a yellow highlighter on the bead symbols and mark progress coloring with a regular pencil. When I finish the stitching I erase the pencil and the bead pattern is left.

Last night I cut the stitching short and pulled the thread for the next two, and got the thread holders ready. Much later when I still wasnít sleepy, I went through my UFOs. That probably would have stunned me into unconsciousness if I hadnít culled them some time ago, admitting there were were some I would never go back to. There are two that moved to the front of the UFO line. One is a kit, an elaborate shell wreath. I had started it on the included aida, and quit very soon. Where I started it was a white shell on white background with a ton of quarter stitches. Now that Iíve started using evenweave, it will be much easier.

The other is a big pattern, a raven. It has a solidly stitched background so is a long term project. I vaguely remember what it looks like, but somehow have managed to lose the picture. Thatís one I definitely want to finish. Someday.

Ok. Three. Another is a Christmas pattern, a row of candles. I would like to finish that, but itís for a later someday.

Itís easy to be ambitious when you canít sleep.

Uh oh. School started this week and for the first time I became a homework resource. I can probably manage fourth grade math, but much after that Iíll have to be a homework dropout. I donít think they quite understand that my last math class was over a half century ago. Lol. This was a number sequence where they had to figure out the missing number and then write a word problem for it. This one had two sequences, in relation to each other. The word problem could be a multiplication or division problem. From the others she had already done, the focus was multiplication, so I went that way. She had been looking at just one of the sequences and didnít know what to do with the second. She understood how to correlate both sequences after I pointed out the relationship. Sheís a quick study. I suggested a scenario for the word problem, but whether it will pass muster with the teacher is anyoneís guess. Itís not wrong, but may not be what they were looking for. Itís hard to believe sheís already in fourth grade. And sad to think I started the raven picture about the same time she started school.

I hope Martha is having a great trip. Did she ever say how long she would be gone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - what size needle do you use for size 15 beads?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Beautiful patterns DC.

It's cool, cloudy and windy today. We're on the edge of a storm, but not getting rain. Feeling a bit achy and under the weather, haha. Most of my friends have been complaining of headaches and general malaise this week, and we're feeling the same way. Not sure if it is the air pressure or mid summer humidity, or both.

Working on zip pouches today. Yesterday I made a quick stop at HL for jump rings so I can put the little charms on the zipper pulls. Really I just want to crawl back into bed and sleep. I may nap later. Trying to keep it to simple tasks today so there aren't any major screw ups.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think I've ever worked with #15 beads. The smallest would be #14 for me. My guess is you need a tiny needle but the size of the thread is probably more important. The needle has to pass through the bead with room to spare several times, or you won't be able to weave in the thread ends. Not much help, am I. ☹️ I never could keep needle numbers straight.

I've been stymied on a bunch of little chores today. Can't find the screws I need for the AAR mod. All the drill batteries are dead including 2 I pulled off the chargers, so couldn't put hooks on the bottom of the blind on the cabin door so it doesn't keep getting slammed in the door. No drills, no putting screws into the stair rail on the cabin steps, although I did get barely enough juice to tag in 2 screws so I don't have to start over and get the whole thing lined up again. A bunch of little stuff like that. We need new drill batteries badly. We have about 8 of them we use a lot, sometimes all in the same day. All of them need replacing. Husby found them for $150 per 2 so that's gonna hurt. I think maybe we could get by with only 4 because the big projects should be winding down soon for this year. We've been hard on batteries this year, and some of them were getting bad last year, so we can't complain too much since those should been replaced already. He just replaced two for a smaller drill driver and bought knockoffs instead of DeWalt. So far we're satisfied with them. Maybe he can find some others to fit the bigger drills.

I did get 2 small batches of Jimmy Dean clone sausage patties made, one original, one hot. Both are so-so. I think I need to try a mix of pork and very lean turkey instead of just the turkey, or add bread crumbs or something to retain moisture. I've already accepted healthy sausage is never going to taste like salty, fatty sausage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I seem to have shifted into pokey mode on the cross stitch, and today the joints are, for the moment, about as good as they get, so I need to get some housework done. Sharon has a flag by the garden and itís a great wind sock. The wind is erratic, mostly west, with occasional gusts from the south, so not sure what the weather may do. The housework window may be limited. I suppose I could look at the forecast instead of just guessing.

The grid fabric is due on Monday. It would be great if it came tomorrow, but from the tracking thatís pretty unlikely. Yesterday I had some small scattered bits of metallic thread to put in, so I tried a new needle, a gold plated petite 24. It should have been perfect but was awful. Itís a bigger eye for the metallic, the gold should make it go through the fabric smoothly, and the shorter size will let me use as much as possible of each strand of the expensive metallic. So much for theory. The eye was ok but it squeaked on every pass through the fabric. Iíve never had a needle, gold or not, that did that. It was very annoying. The short needle was awkward though that was probably just because I wasnít used to it. The next time I order from 123 Stitch I may get a package of unplated 24 petites, but not now. Iíll either put up with it or use a regular length needle.