2019 Stash Management - Page 110
Page 110 of 194 FirstFirst ... 1060100107108109110111112113120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2906
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The weather is beautiful and I am feeling much better today. Thinking of going out (vs staying home and getting some sewing done). I could use some new hand sewing needles. Am I the only one who ends up with curved needles and the chrome worn off them after hand sewing?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the wool afgan last night but it was a bit too warm to do much. I was even thinking of switching over to another project for a bit. But the humidity finally moved on so it's really gorgeous out. Pretty sure it will be cool enough tonight to make the wool comfortable to work with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think DIY weather forecasting is often more accurate than the pros.

That's weird about the squeaky needles. I wonder if it's the fabric.

I don't use curved needles much, so I've never worn off the chrome.

We got the stair treads on, so we can get to the front door of the cabin again. I miscut a board for the risers so will have to replace that, but otherwise all that's left is adding a new section of rail. I added a riser on the bottom step that extends far enough to also attach the newel post to the stringers all the way across. I don't know why our contractors didn't do that when they built the steps, but it's done now. No more wobbly rail. Much safer. Can't wait to get this done and it shouldn't take long to finish. We're really going to like having the longer porch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The fabric was just the plain old lugana With the bluebell fairy on. It was definitely the needle.

CH - I’ve bent my share of tapestry needles. Lol.

I was hoping to get the remaining pale blue areas outlined so I could get as much as possible done while there is good light. It was going great until I realized I had connected outlining at the wrong place. That scuttles that plan because I’ll have to waste time cutting it out and redoing it. It’s vexing because I am very impatient to be done with the pale color.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, I don't use curved needles, they start out straight and end up bowed. Anyway, I made a "quick" trip out to pick up some free stuff with a coupon, hit JA for needles and Ikea for frozen salmon. Grabbed a quick lunch while I was driving around, and before I knew it, it was 4pm and I was stuck coming home in Friday rush hour traffic. Oh, and the highway I'd normally use was closed so I had to creep halfway home on surface streets. Just another day in the city.

I picked up a new purse pattern. Same sort of idea as the last, it's a bag with a strap and an inside pocket, but no flap this time, a snap or magnetic closure. It's a little bigger, too, will hold more than a phone. I don't like really big bags.

Sounds like everyone is getting things done today.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes my finer needles end up curved from finger pressure. And the larger ones seem to make my fingers sore if used a long time.
    I finished the book I was undecided about, it did end up being interesting. I also picked up the novel to continue where Home Fires Season 2 DVD left off.
    Saturday I'll finish hand-sewing the table runner binding at dad's house and leave it there where it was intended for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD,

My husband keeps getting turkey bacon. It does not taste bad, but it does not taste anything like regular bacon. We have used matzo meal in meatballs and meatloaf. It turns out nice and moist. We are not using ground turkey though. We get lean ground beef and bison burger. Bison is healthier than ground beef and tastes really good. It is not terribly frugal though.

My mother in law used to use shredded carrots in her meatloaf. It was pretty good. I wonder if cooked mashed vegetables would give a nice consistency. Or maybe some mashed beans.

I finished my liberty puzzle. It turned out taller than my large size puzzle caddy. The folds of the robe were pretty challenging. The flag part was the easiest. I am also including a close up to show some of the flat interior sides. You can see some of the puzzle shapes are weird. Most of the puzzle had normal shaped pieces.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190809_202312340_1565443676370.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190809_202544033_1565443697728.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, yes, some books get off to a very slow start. One of my favorite authors is like that. The first half of the book is back story and set up, nothing really happening, then it moves super fast. Some people love reading all the tiny details, I want action.

It's already pretty warm out so I will stay home until we go out this evening. I got a bunch of zipper bags cut the other day, plenty of sewing to do. Also need to select fabric and punch out a quilt block for this month's swap.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use turkey bacon sometimes, but it is a poor substitute. It's rubbery and way too salty.

I'm rereading Absolute Power by David Baldacci, about a president who causes the murder of someone and how those around him cover it all up.

We got the cabin porch done except the 2 miscut risers we have to replace. We also built and installed the single step we needed at the end of the new boardwalk, except for an L bracket we don't have. Both jobs will only take a few minutes once we get supplies. We love the new cabin porch. Shoulda done that years ago, but it was a low priority. I was happy to be able to use up one of the last big pieces of lattice, which I bought in the late 1980's. Good to be getting to the end of that and getting it out of the garage. Also used a good 4x4 post that had a bird feeder on it. We have a ratty post to replace it, which doesn't need to be as solid just to hold a bird feeder.

Next up will be the gutter system on the front deck, with rain barrel. That won't be any fun. I just hope it goes okay. The work spaces there are very restricted so reaching some areas could be risky. On the plus side, it's only a ten foot run so we can assemble it on the ground and then just put it up in one piece. That will help a lot. Can't wait to get that done. It will be nice to have a rain barrel out there, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finally finished all the regular floss stitches and I’m ready to begin the metallic on the wings. I considered using instead floss and blending filament, but decided to stick with what the pattern has. I’m not at all sure the one spool it listed will be enough for some of the colors. Fortunately the one with the most stitches is the same I used on the posh tea pattern, so I have an extra partial spool of that, but there is an awfully lot of area to cover. After that there is backstitching and the beads. Instead of starting the metallic I may go on and do the border to minimize scrunching the metallic thread in the hoop.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started running a thread to mark the border line but was foiled at the third side. The bits of pattern nearest that edge were wing tips and a tendril curl that I had not done yet. What was finished was too far in. With aida counting the blocks is easy. With this I’m counting tiny holes, 32 per inch, and it isn’t. I was sure to mess it up so I started on the wings.

I have used metallics very little and it was slow going. Then I remembered I had thread conditioner that I never use. It really made a difference. The thread pulls through the fabric more smoothly and quickly and doesn’t fray as much. The only thing that remains aggravating is that it slips out of the needle easily. Happily it threads as easily as it unthreads, but it’s still annoying. I’m using a 24 needle, really too large for the fabric, but the larger eye is easier on the thread and the larger size opens the hole more which keeps it from rubbing as tightly against the fabric and adjoining threads. Little by very little, the skill set improves.

Late last night I checked 123 Stitch to see if they had the thread I’m afraid I’ll run out of in stock, just to see. It is. While there of course I checked out the new weekly sale that always posts late Saturday. There is a Mirabilia pattern, the first mermaid pattern I had ever liked. I saw it a year ago, or two? More? Anyway I’ve drooled over it for a long time. I have always reluctantly passed it by because in addition to a long list of DMC, no problem, it uses 4 variegated silks at $6+ a pop, four or five metallics, and lots of beads. The materials would cost just too much. It was on sale a few weeks ago with a group of mermaid patterns but I finally talked myself down off the ledge and skipped it. Meanwhile I found the out of print pattern on Etsy. But lightning struck twice and it is on sale again with a group of princess patterns. You can wait forever for a pattern to go on sale, and here this one is again. It’s not fair.

This time I looked at the silks that are a deal breaker and three of them I think I can substitute well enough with some Threadworx floss I already have. The fourth one was also used in the bluebell fairy, but I substituted one I had, that was somewhat successful. I scoured all their thread and found one that would probably be better, for a reasonable price. I’m willing to buy the metallics, and have enough bead variety that I can easily substitute for those, so that would drop the materials cost very substantially. I may not be able to resist it this time. I’ll think about it. I will know soon if I need to order more of the metallic for the fairy and I can decide then.

Aren’t I good at rationalizing?
    Last edited by dcompton; 08-11-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let me know if you need any help with the rationalizing, D. I know a lot about that, even though of course I've never actually done it myself. 😁

Husby said we should focus on using up the green treated lumber we just got, before the gutter. He was right, dang it. I thought the gutter was a great procrastination tool for avoiding the angles I had to cut to finish the boardwalk rail. I found other stuff for him to do because he's so good at derailing my train of thought and tackled the dreaded angles, namely the 3 horizontal boards in the middle. I used one of the miscut boards which was barely long enough for me to make a pattern, since it was ruined anyway. Once I had the angles right, it was tedious but fairly easy to cut the 3 rails. *whew* The lattice panel is cast iron. It came from a bench back someone trashed and I salvaged last year. When we start painting stuff, I want to paint it flat black so it looks like wrought iron. It coordinates well with the wooden lattice on our other deck rails. I had no idea when I salvaged it what I'd do with it, but it was such a great design element I couldn't leave it there. I think it adds an interesting detail to an otherwise boring rail.
    2019 Stash Management-20190811_120602_1565545785691.jpg

It's a relief to have that done. Now I don't have to dread those angles anymore. Which, btw, turned out almost perfect this time.

Next I think will be the UFO potting bench. I think we figured out now where to move it to. It's such a beast I don't think we want to move it once it's finished and way heavier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - that looks great!

Light bulb moment. I doubt you remember I mentioned a small cut of 14 Aida (spell check insists that has to be capitalized and I’m going to give in and stop arguing about it) that I wanted to use for a pattern that turned out to have so many quarter stitches it just wasn’t worth it. But I love the fabric. It’s white with confetti speckles that are mostly a light yellow orange. It suddenly occurred to me that it would be a perfect fun background for the toucan. I would need a larger piece, and it’s by Fabric Flair that has a rather exalted estimation of the value of their fabrics. Bottom line - if I get that I can’t have the mermaid, so the mermaid gets booted yet again. The toucan is all whole stitches so it will work fine with Aida. I should be able to get enough done on the wings tonight to know if I need another spool of the metallic, and I’ll place the order tomorrow. Now I’m more eager than ever to get it started.

Our heat index is 109 right now. I pity all who must be outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They've been warning us for 2 days about the heat we're expected to get tomorrow. 100+ they say. It's getting to be that time of year.

Didn't get any sewing done today. I meant to work on a pouch, got up late, had breakfast for lunch, messed around in the garage looking for something...went to dance practice and came home and collapsed. I think the priorities this week are making sure the dress is ready and finishing my veil, there very likely won't be time for anything else right now.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work on the wool afgan over the weekend. I'm about 2/3's done with skein #3. I'm pretty sure I have enough yarn to complete this afgan. I found another skein in my stash when I started working on it. I didn't get as much done on it as I thought I would. I ended up going to the coffee shop to work on writing my story, both Saturday and Sunday. I normally spend several hours on Sunday at the coffee shop but I was surprised I spent as long as I did there on Saturday. So I only got a little done on the afgan. But it was cool this weekend which made working on the afgan comfortable to do.