2019 Stash Management - Page 112
Page 112 of 144 FirstFirst ... 1262102109110111112113114115122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2148
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good work on the platform, SD.

Got some work done on the wool afgan. Finished off skein #3 and started skein #4. It's going to be a stripy afgan. The local Joann's didn't have enough skeins in either of the brown yarn I was planning on using, so I picked up what they had on hand in another brown that's a tone or two different ('natural' brown vs. brown 'heather') to make up the difference. Mostly because I didn't want to make a second trip or do an online order to make up the difference. Makes it look just different enough to be interesting, though. It's been cool enough (although not cold) to be able to work with the wool yarn comfortably. It'll probably work on the lapgan WIP on Saturday while I'm waiting for the phone repairman.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's 60 degrees here right now. The plan was to work on the gutter today, but I hurt my back and ankles yesterday so I don't feel like running up and down a ladder today. I haven't felt this beat up in a long time. The space where we put the new platform is steep and made of loose gravel so it's all weird angles and shifting surfaces, and that took a big toll. Oh, well.

On the plus side, I figured out how to make the rails using the materials we have, except maybe a 10' 2x4. That would save having to buy another 4x4. Still debating on the 2x4. I hate to piece that, because it's structural, not just cosmetic, and one continuous piece would be stronger.

Winter is coming fast here, so we're trying to set priorities now. It seems like we're going to be able to wind down the outside projects, for the most part. We've gotten so much done this summer, mostly working in 4-hr chunks. No big projects, but lots and lots of little things, many that make a huge difference but don't look like much. I'm especially pleased with all the trailer mods, both UFOs and new projects. Very few were planned, or priorities, but amount to making the camper so much nicer.

Still so much to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a bonus at wok, so it is time for a little unfrugal burst.

My embroidery thread order from DMC came to just over $35 with free shipping for over $30. So that was not too much of a splurge.

But I did order some semi-random things on Amazon. I decided to play around a bit with some silk thread. I ordered a package with several packs of cheap silk thread from China. I also decided to get a hank of white silk lace weight yarn. I also got a big pack of food coloring to try playing with dyeing the silk yarn. I may try embroidering with it. I also think the silk yarn might look nice as doll hair. I got some thread conditioner and needle threaders. I got some more cork fabric. I got some vinyl/fake leather variety packages. I got a small packed of weighted pellets of stuffed animals. Putting some in the base of a stuffed animal can help it be less top heavy.

I may play around a little more with cork and/or vinyl for shoes. I have not tested it yet, but I think the vinyl might be thin enough to hand sew but stiff enough to hold its shape.

I got some jigsaw puzzles. I plan to order some off Puzzle Warehouse as well. But there is one brand of puzzles I like for my at work puzzles - Pintoo - because of there smaller size.

Also debating getting some fleece/minky. I am toying with using this as a shoes liners for winter shoes. My current shoes are too snug to have a thick layer for padding. I am also thinking of doing some spats as kind of a coat for my feet. The outer layer would be vinyl to resist snow and freezing rain. The inner layer would be minky or fleece for warmth. Right now I am eyeing things from the online shops Fabric Empire and The Minky Boutique. They seem to have pretty good prices. I have not worked with minky before, but I would like to try. I think they can make good stuffed animals too.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, it sounds like you had some fun shopping!

SD - take it easy today.

It’s finally cooled a bit here. We’re only supposed to get to 92 today. Also we had a little overnight rain with the the chance of a little more off and on through the day. I don’t know that I’ll accomplish much today. I’m really tired after a dumb stunt last night. About 11 I went to the kitchen to get a snack. I have a med I take late and I have to take it with food. My glass was empty so went for a refill there, slipped into auto pilot and filled it with tea instead of water, then drank it, still not paying attention. What I had done didn’t register until I was trying to figure out why I couldn’t get to sleep about 3:30. I need a keeper.

I finished the wings and backstitching last night. I’ll do the border today. I might get the beading done but that may be too much since I’m sure I’ll take time out for a nap. I decided I will defer the poison ivy fairy. I got out a cactus pattern that will be super easy. I’m ready for super easy. Also I never did finish the border on the seashell, so I’ll do that too.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, hope winter doesn't hit you too early. You've hardly had time to enjoy summer. OTOH you guys have done a massive amount of work and deserve a break. I do not have a clue what our winter will be like yet. The pattern shifts in October and until that happens it is only a wild guess. This has been the rainiest year on record for us, and I sure hope it does not become the snowiest.

Kathy, you got a lot of fun stuff to play with. I used to have fleece boot liners back when I lived in New England. It is very cozy, but not waterproof. Minky is wonderful to touch, but it has a nap and is slippery to work with. I saw it is going to be on sale this week at JA. Cork seems to be the hot new thing. I have not played with it.

I have added a bit to my stash recently, too. This was the 2nd pass at the 50%+30% remnant sale last month. The white rolls are light blocking material. I have not had a chance to do anything with them. The blue sequin will be fun for a costume some day.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1093.jpg

This is a cute deer print that I could not pass up. It is a 1 yd remnant. I have some forest and a winter bird print that will look good with it.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1095.jpg

A block that I finished:

Name:  DSCN1094.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  47.2 KB

Yesterday's remnant finds:

2019 Stash Management-dscn1113.jpg

I was surprised to find a fat quarter bundle marked down in clearance.

And I bought this fancy net fabric for a costume someday. I wasn't sure if I should get 1 yd or 2, and it turned out there was 1.8 yd left on the bolt, so that is what I got.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1114.jpg

Not sure what I'll do this afternoon. I'm a little pooped from yoga and it is warming up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-dscn1095.jpg  

Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been having issues with my cell phone the past few days. (Needed to get a new phone.) I found the phone I wanted (similar to my current one) but the provider no longer supports it, saying it's 'too old'. So I had to buy a new one from the website. It looks something like a smart phone which I'm not too thrilled about. I'd rather have a basic flip phone since I only really have a cell phone for calling my Dad and for emergencies. I'm not interested in the small, handheld computers that most people are so fascinated with to the point of social distraction. Not saying they don't have their benefits, such as looking up directions, I just prefer not to be tied to my phone any more than is needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - those are some nice fabrics. I love the red in the first batch. Pretty fat quarters too.

I slept a couple of hours and feel ready to tackle anything. Ok, that’s an exaggeration but cross stitch doesn’t look too daunting. If the power doesn’t go. We’re having thunder and lightning quite close. So where is the rain??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like that quilt block. I dismantled and pressed the fabric from a hurricane candle ruffle that mom had. I liked the fabric and lace but have not use for a ruffly decor thing like that. Should be able to make several quilt blocks from the fabric when I find something to match.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I felt the same way about cell phones and smart phones, Ren, till we got smart phones. We use them now for things we never dreamed of, and not because we're antisocial. A lot of our uses are travel related though, including day trips, so we would get less use from them if we didn't travel as much.

We really have been working a lot this summer. It's been unusually hot and humid here, too, so it hasn't always been easy. We're not summer travelers anyway, so that part hasn't been too much of a sacrifice. But we didn't even put the dock in or assemble the bikes, either. Still, can't complain.

Saw a map on TV today showing where in the US climate change is already having the most impact. We're right in the middle of one of the areas considered already in the beginnings of crisis. Pretty scary.

I got the first half of the IL/MO trip planned. Haven't had much time to think about that. Husby had neglected to schedule time in Chippewa Falls, WI, to stop and buy cannoli and squeaky cheese. The nerve! I immediately corrected that grievous error and also scheduled us an overnight stop at nearby Lake Wissota SP. The birdsong there around dawn each day is incredible. Can't wait to hear that again. I also reminded Husby the Leinie's brewery is there, and they have all the flavors. He forgot. *rolling my eyes* We will need time for beer shopping, too, I hear. Now that the first week is planned, I can start figuring out food. Besides the cannoli.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

MMmnn, squeaky cheese! Our road trip is in 2 weeks and I was just thinking about the places we might need to stop along the way. The little burger joint we discovered is gone, so I will have to check and see what is around now.

I use my smart phone much more than I thought I would. Don't trust it with bank info yet, but I use it to look up a lot of stuff when I am out, maps yes, but also price comparisons and other info. Last week I used it to order a pizza, then drove over and it was ready to pick up. If I am in dance class and we are talking about music I can pull youtube up right in the studio. When we get to the hobby show I will use it constantly to keep in touch with DH and friends so we can coordinate meals and rides. Even before we arrive friends will be texting arrival times and road conditions. And likely there will be an app for the show, with useful info like class schedules and news. I can live without one, but they are sure convenient these days.

I got two more pouches started today, zippers applied. I have 6 made, these will be #s 7&8. I made a list of projects (that I could recall off he top of my head) that I want to get finished. It's longer than I thought. I should be able to get back into sewing mode after our trip. We'll have a couple more weeks of hot weather keeping me indoors.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For a while I joked that when I retired I would drive to California, rent a RV, fill it with purchased wine and drive/camp my way home. I guess that's not going to happen. Fortunately Virginia is making good wines these days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The new phone came in yesterday and I got it set up today. I hate it. It's too big to fit easily in my pocket and I just need it to call my Dad, texts, and in case of emergency calls. I'm thinking of looking at a different provider to see if they have flip phones. Fortunately there are a couple of stores local to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, we're not doing transactions on our phones yet either, but we're getting closer. We recently found out the same security company we have on our computers is on our phones too, under a different name, so that makes us a little more comfortable. We're going to have to get over our worries because when we start travelling again, there will be times we will need to pay for campsites with phones, either when making a reservation or if there's no one to take payment at a campground.

Our main reason for a smart phone was because Husby had just had a heart attack and he wanted one of those heart monitor EKG gizmos. So we rushed off to Best Buy to buy one smart phone to share. On the 2 hr drive it occurred to me if he always had the smart phone and EKG gizmo, I would never learn to use it. So we ended up with 2. That's been a good decision, even though Husby's doc told him he didn't need the EKG thing. We don't want to be the clueless old coots who didn't keep up with new technology to the point we can never catch up.

One of the best uses for my phone for me is the WW app. It even has a scanner so I can just scan a product UPC code and the points are figured automagically. I can track and find recipes and do all kinds of stuff. I would keep my phone just for that app.

I also use the JA app because it's the only place I can get their coupons.

We weren't sure at all we would use our phones but we do all the time. The games are evil time sucks some days, but everything else is helpful, and the cameras are fantastic. Most of the pics I post here are taken with my phone.

We got the rail posts all installed on the can corral, and the end rails done. Once we buy the rail for the back, that will not even have to be cut, just laid on top the rails and screwed down. It will take about 5 minutes. The cans fit, and everything looks so tidy now. We never thought it looked bad before, since the only untidiness was the cans not being in a straight line, but what a difference! Not sure what it cost, but it's worth it. Clearing that space will help a lot to get the trailer in its place.

It's a short day for us but my back still hurts, so I'm done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, that sounds like a good retirement plan!

Ren, I hope you can find a phone you like. It's frustrating when you're stuck with equipment that doesn't work for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished the border on the fairy yesterday and to my great relief it met at all four corners - lol. As I’ve said, counting isn’t as easy on evenweave. I got a start on the beads. It has a lot of silver lined clear size 6 beads, raindrops or dew drops. They are big clunky beads and I was doubtful. When I put a few on I didn’t like them, but decided to carry on after I checked and didn’t have anything comparable in size 8. As I’ve gotten more on it I guess they’re ok. They’re going to make it hard to press though. I’ll try it with a towel under them. Until I got it stretched out on a square frame to put the beads on I hadn’t realized how large it was. No wonder it took so long. I knew the dimensions of course, but was used to seeing it in bits in a 5” hoop.

I was expecting the 123 Stitch order by tomorrow or Saturday, the usual time frame, but hadn’t received a shipment email. I went back to the explored and found out it was expected to ship tomorrow or Saturday. That’s unusual so they must be waiting for something. Or they had a blockbuster weekend. Or they’re short handed. Or who knows why. Fortunately it’s not anything I need immediately.

The rain did show up eventually. It didn’t last long but was a deluge when it came. We got 1.5” in an astonishingly short time.