2019 Stash Management - Page 114
Page 114 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1464104111112113114115116117124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2132
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful cross-stitch, I don't think I would have the patience for a large project any more. Milk crate cushion top is ready when hubby comes home to help me staple. Going to rip the zipper from the cushion I took apart, need to store the leftover cushion stuffing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Photoshop is pretty unfrugal though. I have found free and cheap photo and art apps I play around with sometimes when I feel artsy.

I have been playing with mirror lab - a phone app - recently. Here is one of my pictures.

2019 Stash Management-image3a18093_mirror4_1566049273715.jpg
    Even photos for online stores can be off. I got my DMC thread earlier this week. There was one color I was sure was a dark red or burgandy color. It was actually closer to dark purple than red. It is the top right color.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190817_082846305_1566049058807.jpg

I finished another puzzle.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190816_134407284_1566049152794.jpg
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did not know thread came in big spools like that. Nice pictures.
    I cut out another simple top to match a skirt (silky polyester fabric.) Sewing machine balking so I will finish Sunday. I have the hem ready for hand sewing today. Hubby came home late Friday and I was not able to finish the crate top yet w/ the staple gun. Need more than 2 hands to do that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I staple upholstery on, I put a single staple in the middle of one side, then stretch fabric in the middle of the opposite side and staple once, then middle of one remaining side, then stretch remaining side and staple once. Once it's started like that, it's fairly easy to add the rest of the staples. The main thing is to not pull the fabric till one opposite staple is in so you have something to pull against so you can tighten the fabric on the second and fourth side.

We went out to work on the gutter and discovered we need to connectors I forgot to put on the shopping list. So that project is postponed. We cut the 3 gh panels and got those installed, so we're done with that for this year. We have about half the building replaced now, plus the roof.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Photoshop is pretty unfrugal though. I have found free and cheap photo and art apps I play around with sometimes when I feel artsy.

I have been playing with mirror lab - a phone app - recently. Here is one of my pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3A18093_mirror4_1566049273715.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	49351
    Even photos for online stores can be off. I got my DMC thread earlier this week. There was one color I was sure was a dark red or burgandy color. It was actually closer to dark purple than red. It is the top right color.

Name:	IMG_20190817_082846305_1566049058807.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	49347

I finished another puzzle.

Name:	IMG_20190816_134407284_1566049152794.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	49349
    wow lovely!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Back from holiday have lots of posts to catch up on. didn't get much crafting done. almost finished the scarf ..my yarn projects became a pillow most of the trip. didn't seen any crafts stores but found some yarn in a low cost little dept store. had to get some to say I got yarn on the trip. looks better then pic. 2019 Stash Management-hollandyarn.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    I'm very careful about which computer I use when I'm purchasing things online, particularly if I'm at a place that doesn't have secure wi-fi. So I doubt I will ever purchase anything on my phone, especially since there's a chance I may forget it some place if I can't fit it in my pocket. I'm also worried the new phone will get cracked or I'll do a mis-dial. I can fit the new phone in my purse but I tend to not carry my purse during the weekend. I like the ability to just slip ID's, keys, and phone into my pocket and go. Right now, I want to remove apps, not add them.
    yes I don't like haven't to have my phone with me all the time. prefer my laptop to do things on and saving passwords. don't like places that you have to have an app. if I go to joanns it is across the border so though they say free wifi there it doesn't work so I am not paying $$$ to get a coupon w data roaming charge. at home I have free wifi at lots of places so don't need to pay for big data plan. cell plans aren't cheap here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - it’s good to have you on the forum again. How was your trip?

My cross stitch order finally shipped yesterday. With luck it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday and I will be able to start the toucan. Working on the cactus today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome home, Martha! FYI, if you save JA's coupons to your phone, you don't need to be online to use them at the store. You just open them on the phone and they can be scanned at the register.

I agree with you, CH, everybody has an app these days and that's part of why we decided on smart phones, too. There's getting to be so much stuff we don't have access to without one, like when people who didn't have internet suddenly needed it because every business got a website.

I made an educated guess and basted the roof gusset into the AAR. Next time it's cool and not rainy we can set it up again to see if I guessed well or not. I decided it's probably not as fussy as I thought because I've seen pics of this cabana-style room with the front wall straight up and down, but also tilted back towards the trailer, or tilted away from it. So I've decided not to care whether it's perfect or not. Not all campsites are perfect either, which could affect the tilt of the front wall. I added about a foot to the roof. I hope I don't have to redo it because it damages the fabric every time I sew it. If this is correct, then I can do the permanent seams and finish a couple small things left to do, and that should finally be done. That will be a relief! It will be so nice to have a room again.

Making myself cut and baste the AAR roof makes me feel better about not being able to work on the gutter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    Thanks. I did get some rest over the weekend. Not as much last night but still got some. It's supposed to rain and get cool tonight and into tomorrow so I should be better this week. The main downside has been that, between the heat outside and the AC, my skin's really dry now. Looks like the worst of the rash is gone but it looks like it may take a bit for my skin to recover.

I may do some work on my wool-blend afgan tonight, especially if it does cool down as forecast. That's a soft yarn so it shouldn't bother my skin so much. Although I'll head to bed early.
    we got to holland just in time for the record heat wave that they had ..and they aren't set up for it at all over a 100 degrees..all the sweating etc got dd eczema going really bad. lots of rashes sores etc because she won't care of it properly. still healing 3 weeks later. few more very hot days didn't help too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I am kind of attracted to the big dramatic hats. I have never worn one to a con because I don't want to take along another suitcase just for the hat. I have always wondered if the hat would get in the way if you were doing something like sitting in an audience watching a performance or speaker onstage. You could take the hat off, but if it is one of the really wide brimmed hats, wouldn't it extend over the side of your chair?

Once I am retired, I might get back into playing around with costumes for local conventions. I could wear a big dramatic hat on the bus. Or maybe just take Uber.

A D&D book I was reading made reference someone adding a new square to their commemorative battle quilt after every victory. I am pretty sure is was meant to be funny, but I feel like it would be pretty awesome to make a commemorative battle quilt for a D&D campaign. That is on my list of retirement things to do.

I have actually started doing some of "retirement craft list." For example, I have started embroidery. Maybe I should say restarted since I did cross stitch for a year or two about 20 or 30 years ago. I also dabbled in regular embroidery at around that time. I thought it would be too time intensive for me to do with my current schedule., but I have been able to do a few small pieces.

I might be able to do some small quilting things, like a wall hanging size. But I would probably have to stop embroidery to make time.

And I also have my shoe project. And I still want to do something with my thrift store dolls.

I have picked up some fabric backed cork to play around with for shoes. I have not done anything with it yet. I am hoping it is easy to sew. It has been used to make purses, shoes, wallets, etc. It is basically used as a substitute for things made with thick leather/fake leather.

My husband recently bough a huge variety pack of stiff felt for lining a bunch of organizers. He said I could use the rest for projects. It is kind of cheap looking stuff compared to the wool felt blends I have been using for projects. But there is a sheet of gold and a sheet of silver in there with some potential. It reminds me of some of the gold or silver colored fake leather shoes I have seen. I think the texture and thickness might work for shoes. Shoe tops made of material that is too soft does not quite look right. For example, even softer shoes like moccasins use a somewhat thick leather. The suede/fake suede used for shirts and skirts does not look right.

Even something that looks like fake leather would still look okay for shoes. After all, I have worn plenty of fake leather payless shoes in the past. Regular cloth just does not look right for the top to me. Even cloth shoes use canvas which is a thicker, stiffer fabric.
    have to tell my kids that ...make squares or pictures of the d & d battles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    I will probably finish hemming the top this evening. I used contrast fabric to bind around the neckline, arm holes, and hem. The neck turned out a bit crazy and I may eventually re-do it, I have plenty of contrast scraps left over.
    Watched 2 episodes of "Home Fires". It took hubby about 10 minutes to get the TV/DVD player to work on the main floor. You can see why I never watch TV.
    that is why you probably get lots done lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

love everyone's projects. catching up on everyone posts. dd and I were gone for almost a month.. should have planned a bit better for more frugal options of advance booking but hey that is life. we visited relatives, then the camp and back to relatives and to UK back to holland and flew out. arrived to a record breaking heatwave after no sleep for 24hrs w time change..they are not prepared for real heat there..no real a/c , fans in places, a/c in buses etc. over 100 degrees so yes melted. would have melted here too lol but we have a/c fans etc. so started camp w real lack of sleep. electronics getting broken... baking and lots of other food is so good over there.

was busy esp at camp go go go. was strange being with unknown group kinda you were welcome but not welcome and you have to follow their rules. which was be at everything extra early etc. city hike..give couple of kids the group map to fiqure out so an 8k hike was like 15k in the end. don't know what we were suppose to find. saw the city by walking behind the group no idea what or where we were going ..got points for being at certain places. no idea what but my suggestion of going though the maps first was a no go (cus in my opinion kids need to be taught how first) WW1 site tour great but could have dropped a couple of small places and had a break ..or visited places like vimy ridge just a little longer. because you didn't get to see the whole place. think if it wasn't for mandatory break for driver there wasn't going to be one. like 5am up go go to 9pm dinner bed 11 or later. and since with kids well they always find a way lol to do thing to remind you were a mom. and dd got upset homesick etc I just don't enjoy rushing around like that. but it was arranged by volunteers and all the others seem to think it was all great so maybe just the way they do things. we left the camp a day early. that was the downside but the upside my family was lovely, took us places, couldn't do enough for us, we saw a bunch of new places also. tourist spots, museums, zoo, met family, we kinda died when we got to the UK, a lot like home rain lots of green etc lol on our own for first time in weeks on our schedule. met online penpal which was great. very pretty area, people were lovely. didn't do some things because it was tourist season so the lineups were not worth it to us, couple of hours wait. harry potter studio tour was sold out but she got to kings cross store and pic w trolley. for another time seeing the other sites. something bit me on the foot at the camp bus tour so it has been swollen since but doc didn't see anything wrong. it was a once in a lifetime experience. took lots of pics. dd didn't believe in letting me sleep long though the last few nights either. the flight home was great both of us got our periods night before we left poor dh lol. it woke me up at 4am this morning. ds isn't back from camping w friends yet.

poor dh just had one thing after another while I was gone. even his week off was nuts. 20mins into his week off got a call from home to take his mom in to ER for her blood pressure so he spent half the night in ER over nothing ..just a dementia thing up and down blood pressure nothing you can do. his sister of course won't do it. but at least he told her she was on duty the next couple of days. she is off this month. helping neighbours. got a greenhouse from neighbour too and got it settled w pizza bribes for ds friend. list went on and on ..normally things at least you have your spouse to help out. plus not used to dealing with all the house stuff.

dh just got a call from his sister apparently his mom was asleep in her recliner last night..woke up to someone yelling help thinking it was in her place..so got disoriented fell down by her couch and didn't clue in until the firemen were picking her up. they all have the lifeline button on their wrists in assisted living but the person who was yelling help in her place turns out half way down the hall forgot that fact ..needed help w oxygen mask so that is why she was yelling in the middle of the night and forgot her button. and then mil forgot and yelled the same when she fell. just like kids one copies the other. his mom is fine. she has lots of padding so no one can lift her except certain people.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my uncle I met has shetland ponies so dd got to give them treats. think I may try growing some lettuce in the greenhouse. 2019 Stash Management-ponykiss.jpg2019 Stash Management-greenhouse.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The embroidery thread in balls is pearl cotton. It is a little different than embroidery floss, but you can use it for some of the same things. It does not have six dividable threads like embroidery floss. The thickness is about what you have if you use three of the floss threads together. That is for the size I use which is pearl cotton 8. It comes in thicker and thinner weights. The color selection is pretty large, but it is not as large as the DMC floss selection. So it would not work for most of the cross stitch patterns. I do a free form embroidery, so it works for me.

It uses the same color numbers as the DMC floss, so you could probably combine them. The pearl cotton is slightly shinier than floss but it is a subtle thing. It is hard to tell from the picture but it is not a big as a crochet thread ball. It is around the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly bigger.

There are some brands of crochet thread out there that are thin enough to substitute for embroidery thread. The cost per yard would be cheaper. But I like the compactness of the pearl cotton balls. I can fit over 50 of these in one gallon Ziploc bag.

I like not having to separate the thread or wind it on cards like with embroidery floss.
    KathyB