2019 Stash Management - Page 115
Page 115 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1565105112113114115116117118125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1926
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M - sounds like a pretty wild time all around, both here and abroad, lol. Iím glad you survived the heat wave. It must have been pretty miserable without a/c. Not nice weather for hiking around and sight seeing. Iím glad you got to have such a nice visit with your family.

I have a one color Christmas pattern that I will probably use perle cotton for. It will be a nice break not to have to keep dividing strands. Iíve considered doing that fairly soon. I would like to have enough Christmas patterns to do a whole Christmas bulletin board. Since itís 24x36, thatís a fair amount of territory to cover in cross stitch. Iím probably going to put the fairies on hold and focus on that. I have some beaded kits I really like and lots of great patterns. I know I keep changing my mind about what to do next but that sounds like a practical plan. I also have the large Quaker style pattern with the Christmas carol names, but thatís a huge project and I would rather focus on smaller things that can be finished in a reasonable time to display.

Meanwhile Iím working on the cactus, or cacti since there are five of them. Iíve looked for a good cactus pattern for a long time and never found one I really liked except for a hummingbird/cactus one. I recently found one on Etsy that fit the bill. A friend printed it out for me. Itís a fair size pattern but super easy so itís going quickly. The toucan wonít but Iíve wanted to do that for a long time.

The special fabric I bought for the toucan only comes in 14 count so Iíll be using three strands. I like to use the loop start, but it doesnít work with three strands. I hope the toucan is worth it. Expensive fabric, three strands, complex pattern. I can really pick Ďem, canít I?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the neck & arm binding machine-stitched for the top. Need to do the hand stitching on the inside still. Probably not until Tuesday since I have a dog club meeting Monday night. I did use the staple gun on the crate top by myself - came out OK but would have been better if I had a helper. That project was done for $0 so not really complaining.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been working with the lace weight yarn. It was sold as lace weight yarn, but it is really close in size to pearl cotton 8 thread. It works very well for embroidery. It is smooth, but it is not slippery like some silk thread I have worked with in the past. It is not shiny like some other silk thread.

This was $20 for a 100 gram hank. Pearl cotton is around $2.75 for 10 grams.

I want to play around with hand dyeing. Silk can be hand dyed with food coloring and citric acid. It is safer than other dyes and easier to do in small batches.

This is a picture of a wing for my current embroidered bird.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20190819_085224916_1566220214486.jpg

The main design is crochet thread. This has a small metallic thread wrapped around the main thread. It is a little thicker than what I usually work with. The yellow accent is pearl cotton. The off white around the edges is the silk lace weight yarn.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love all the pictures.

Glad you survived the heat on your trip, Martha. Hope your dh survived all the issues with his family and everything else while you were away.

Got some work done on the wool afgan on Friday but switched over to the lapgan WIP on Saturday and Sunday due to the heat. The next few days are going to be hot and sticky again before dropping to more comfortable weather by the weekend.

I ended switching over to the basic phone service on Verizon. I only want/need to be able to text and call so that's a better plan for me. And if I do decide to get a smart phone, I think I prefer to go with a company that has convenient stores near me. I did notice a smaller sized smart phone offered at the Verizon store but didn't get it this time around. I was too annoyed with the whole situation to be bothered with it. But the small smart phone looked like it would fit in my pocket easily, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - thanks for the info on the lace weight yarn. I had not considered that for embroidery, that I want to get back to when the cross stitch craze runs its course lol.

I planned to do some errands today I’ve been putting off but they’re put off again. I woke with a cough and just feel ick. Not an ounce of energy. I had a pb&j sandwich for breakfast that I don’t much like but keep on hand for times I can’t even be bothered to stick something in the microwave. It’s definitely not an errands day.

Last night I got about half finished with the third cactus, the smallest one. The 123 Stitch order is out for delivery so I’ll have the toucan fabric mid afternoon. I’ll probably finish the small cactus and then dive into it. Finally. I’ve never had an order from them take so long to get here. A whole week! How impatient I am. Usually though it’s not holding up a project I want to start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think a small smart phone would be maddening to use. They're basically tiny computers with touch screens. Trying to touch tiny little spots on a tiny screen could be frustrating. My unsolicited advice is to be sure to try typing and navigating the internet on any phone before you buy. We ended up buying bigger phones than we thought we wanted, after trying them in the store, and haven't regretted it. We were sure we would not use them much, but have ended up using them for so many things we had never thought of.

We set up the AAR, did some work on it, and marked some stuff, so I should be able to get that done now. Can't wait! Then it can be packed up and put away, finally out of my hair. What's left shouldn't take too long.

[cheer4] Yea! Viking Village just called to say my serger is done! I was just sitting here thinking I wanted to do some DfG sewing, something mindless, and also get the top I cut out sewed. Guess we'll be having a short road trip this week, or one of us will. Or maybe another camping trip to GR. Will have to see if JA has a good ad this week. It would be a good opportunity to test drive all the camper mods we've done, before our big trip next month. Including the AAR. Guess I better get that thing done TODAY.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, good point about checking how the typing feels before buying the phone. I'm not ready to buy a iphone but the smaller one did catch my eye. I'm looking for one that fits well in my pocket. One of the other customers made sure the smart phone he was getting had GPS on it. And the sales rep set it up with larger fonts and icons so he could see it better. That's something I would consider so I wouldn't get too frustrated with the smaller size.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Trying this from my phone...

2019 Stash Management-img_20190819_121945817_hdr_1566240646598.jpg

Using the big table at the quilt bee.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice picture, CH. The local living history farm I regularly go to will be having their quilting event at the end of September this year. They alternate that event every other year with their auction fundraiser. They hang a lot of different quilts up in the barn at the visitor center. They also have a quilting frame set up so people can come and help stitch a quilt together. It's a great way to feel what it might have been like to do something like that. Most people aren't as crafty as they could be these days.

The annual Sheep and Fiber Festival is coming up quicker than expected. It's in a little over three weeks. This year, I don't have any need for more yarn although I'm sure I will likely pick something up if something catches my eye.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - pretty quilt.

Itís here! Itís different! Well, somewhat. This is a speckled fabric with multicolor speckles. In the small piece I have, a sort of golden yellow seems to stand out, which is why I though of it for the toucan. On this one the blue specks seem more prominent. It will be fine but it was a bit of a surprise. It may be that the yellows in the pattern will pull out those colors more. At any rate, the bold blocky pattern is what the fabric needs to hold its own with the busy speckles.

I just have a little left on the cactus so I will finish that up and then get the thread set up on the needle/thread organizer. With so many colors that will take a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Take a look at Samsung phones too, Ren. We love ours. Ours are mostly user friendly.

Still a gorgeous quilt, CH. I aspire to be as good as you someday, but probably will never get there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you feel better, D. The orangeish color jumped out at me in your new fabric. I like it.

Ren, we used to tie quilts at my grandma's when I was a kid. They never quilted them, just tied each corner of the blocks. We set up the quilt frame out in the yard, pinned the quilt layers to the frame, and tied it. I don't recall hemming the quilts after tying them. It was my mom, Grandma, and 3 aunties, so trying went fast. Grandma was born in 1888, so she did IRL what you probably see at your living history farm. Grandma's place WAS a living history farm! 😁 Not all the quilts were Grandma's. One of my aunties made and sold quilts, others were for gifts. Before we started with the quilts, we kids would draw water from the outside hand pump into a big tub, and float a watermelon in it to cool, so we could have a treat when work was done. Good memories.

I got the AAR done, I think. It seems like I'm forgetting something, but at least it can be used now. I hope I'm done. I've been thinking about this project for at least 5 yrs and I'm tired of it. I hope I can remember how I folded it so it will fit in the bag. Now we can put all the spare parts away in the cabin, instead them being clutter in the house.

The gusset I added could have maybe been a couple inches narrower, and I wish the whole thing was tighter, but I think it will be okay. Except for the perfect, most likely enhanced pics in ads, I've never seen one of these cabanas that wasn't full of little ripples on the roof. I got it to fit better than expected but not as well as I hoped. I made a lot of compromises to avoid having to drill holes AKA potential leaks in the camper skin, so I'm okay with a less than perfect fit. Trade-off.

Gotta go fold the thing up now, and get it stowed. I'll be doing the happy dance the whole time. 🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow you get so much done spirit! I never knew you can get coloured cross stitch fabric. pretty quilt ch! and like the bird wing! hope you feel better soon d. thanks for the wishes. there is always something around here..don't want to sound down we don't look for things but they find us constantly. but him taking mil to ER as soon as vacay starts is almost a cliche. we didn't tell people he was off on vacay unless we were going away for years for this reason. it is more that didn't have me around to help out while all was going on. and he couldn't use me as an excuse lol

I like bigger smart phones because easier to type same with tablets etc. lol of course dh eyes is why we had to get a new 60" tv he said he couldn't read the online guide... I don't like using my phone as a computer. prefer touch typing. faster for me.

have to say didn't do much at all today except library and breakfast w friend. slept well but need a few more nights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a small start on the toucan last night. It feels odd to be working on 14 count. I haven’t done that for cross stitch in a long time. I use it for blackwork because the stitches show up better. After starting with three strands, I backed off to two. It just felt too tight with three, though that’s what I used to use with 14. The dark colors won’t cover quite as well, but it will be ok. With so many scattered stitches the back is getting thick with two. Three would exaggerate it even more.

M - cross stitch fabric comes in a huge array of colors. I hope this weird speckle looks ok, but I really wanted to try it. The dots are quite regular on this one. There is another with an irregular spatter effect that I have seen in kits that I like much better, but I have never seen it available by itself. There aren’t many patterns I would put on it, but the toucan seems the right sort of thing for it.

SD - congrats on finishing the AAR. You’ve been working on it a long time.

I’m fine today. Who knows what yesterday’s malaise was about. So today has to be an errands day. I’d rather be cross stitching!