2019 Stash Management - Page 116
Page 116 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1666106113114115116117118119126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 1926
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, bet it feels good to have that huge project finished.

M, your vacation sounds like it was quite the whirlwind tour. Hope you can get some rest now and get over that jetlag.

DC, the toucan pattern looks like it will be splendid when it is done on the confetti fabric. I think the malaise has moved in here. Was supposed to be very hot, but it is lingering in the 80's with high humidity and rising air pressure from a nearby storm. Ugh. Woke up with a headache and it won't go away.

Got my christmas quilt pieced. The ladies in the guild want me to finish it and hang it in the October show. We will see. September is already heavily scheduled, I don't know if i can fit in a full day at the quilt shop and a week of hand binding. Anyway, I am going to lay it on the bed and see how it fits, and if/how much border it needs. Then when i know how big it will be I will look for new backing material.

I got one pink cross-in-star sewn yesterday, squared and ironed flat this morning. Started the 2nd yesterday, but ran out of time at the bee, so that is on today's short list. Already cut a stack of charms squares for an exchange I am doing. There are also zip bags waiting to be finished.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, your Grandmother would've been right at home at the living history farm. They cover the 1890-1910 time period.

Thanks for all the suggestions and pointers on the smart phones. Right now, I'm happy with the basic phone I finally got working. (For some reason, the port over to the new service provider ended up being 'pending' until I called yesterday. Probably because I bought the new phone on a Saturday. Go figure.)

Got some work done on the lapgan last night. It's still too hot and humid to work with the wool yarn. The upcoming weekend looks to be cool enough to go back to the wool afgan. Although it's strange to think that September's less than two weeks away. The sheep and fiber festival will be on the first full weekend in September again. I don't have any need for yarn from there but I'm sure I'll probably walk away with something. Although I did notice they're offering some yarn/fiber related classes, I think on Sunday. I don't recall seeing those offered during prior events. Then again, it's cool that they're being offered and were likely requested over the years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is what happens when I skip lunch and try to get one more thing done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190820_132409954_1566325669076.jpg

Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am totally bummed out. I was all psyched up to get this stuff done, was dressed, ready to walk out to the car, remembered a document I have to have that I was sure was in my purse or already in the car. Nope. I could not put my hands on it at all. So I changed back into shorts and tee, called to order a duplicate, made a BIG glass of iced tea, and now I wait for that.

Oh well. At least I can cross stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Home from shopping. Husby's out installing the last rail on the can corral, so that project will be done. While we were in the lumber building picking it up, I spotted what looked like junk wood, like lath but pressure treated. Exactly what I need for spacers behind the new gutter, if I stack 2 of them. Turns out they were shims that come stacked between big bundles of lumber. What I was happy about is they're pressure treated, too. The 2x4 the new gutter will attach to is at an angle, so it needs spacers behind the bottom of the gutter to bring it to level. I asked the guys working there if the shims were for sale and they said I could just take them. Perfect. One guy pointed out some more sticking out of a trash barrel, so I grabbed those too. I should have just enough. How lucky am I? Most of them have broken ends, so it's good I can operate a saw. It's not possible to find that type of treated shims that I know of, so I had bought some Ĺ" square untreated poplar, which we promptly returned. Treated is better in this case.

Got the serger back, so I can make some stuff now, if I ever have time.

Went to a grocery store where we spent $1.40 on 2 lemons and then another $40 on half price closeouts. I was lucky to find big squirt bottles of Hellmanns light mayo for $2.30 each. I love squirt mayo for the convenience when we travel. Also got a qt jar for $2, normally $4 here. We will use that at home. Lots of other bargains.

The bad news today was that DeWalt is switching to a different battery system that uses smaller batteries with longer run time. We can get adapters to use the new batteries. All this is going to be very expensive. For now, we can still buy the old style batteries at $75 each, so will have to decide what the best deal is, old style or just take the plunge and convert everything, or some of each. The bare minimum we can get by with is 4 new batteries. Ouch.

Nothing very interesting today. It was just one of those utility runs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wind up using my smart phone more than I thought I would. At work I use a regular computer. But at home, most of the time I just use my smart phone instead. I like to be able to just go online wherever I am in the condo and use it. I might go on for a few minutes while I am sitting on the couch or on the chair in the bedroom. I do not use it a lot a home. A few minutes here and there. It probably adds up. But I am not sitting down at a computer for several hours straight to play games or work on things.

There is a quirk with the phone app not showing the stickied items. But I get around that by using the menu in the upper left. I can "select participated" in and "active topics." This thread shows up in both of them.

This weekend I started another puzzle and did some stitching on my embroidered felt bird. I am almost finished with the mini puzzles I am doing at work. That at home one is a bit challenging so it could take awhile. There is a chunk of sky with a bunch of solid colored pieces. And bits where the color of the sky varies in very subtle ways.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a nice story about Missouri Star Quilt Co. I was not aware of them before but will check them out. Storming here and the power keeps flickering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

They are not far from here. Well, about a 90 minute drive, maybe 2 hours. One of these days I will get up there. A friend and I have been meaning to go for about 2 years now, but our schedules never match. It would be an all-day trip for us. And it's not like we need the fabric. I should ask if anyone in the guild wants to plan a bus trip.

I finished the pink block, and sewed a star block for the guild as well. Completed two zip pouches. Overall a productive day.

I was moving some fabric around this afternoon, and this happened:

2019 Stash Management-dscn1122.jpg

I saw a "5 fat quarter" quilt pattern that I want to try. There's more than 5 quarters there, so it might get a little larger in the end.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, CH, that town is only 2 hrs from you, and you haven't been there? What's wrong with you? 😁

I like that combo of fabrics. Can't wait to see what you make of it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister's bedroom (in the 1970's) was lime green & yellow - sort of reminds me of that.....
    I finally finished hemming the silky scarf last night. Having a "to do" list helps. I had a spare hour before bed time.
    I pulled out the basket, needlepoint piece and lining fabric and think I have a plan. Posted a pic of those long (years?) ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MY '70s bedroom was lime green, too!

I guess it's errands for us today too. I haven't been in town for almost a month, so need to go see my mom.

Husby and I had another talk about moving, specifically about the type and size of house. It looks like we're leaning towards a ranch or split level, around 2k sf. But who knows? So much can happen so fast to change our situation, sometimes I wonder if there's any point in planning at all. At any rate, the priority needs to be getting this place purged and organized so it's ready to list if or when the time comes. Which could be at any moment, because none of us ever knows when something might happen.

So much to do. All the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I love the fabrics. Donít just sit there - make the quilt!

Kathy - Iíve been thinking of getting out a puzzle but canít pull myself away from the cross stitch. I just donít have your self discipline to work on them off and on. Iím totally compulsive about them. Iíll sit at the table for 14 hours, reluctantly go to bed, and start again before breakfast. I have some long novels in audio that I keep passing over, but I enjoy them more when working puzzles than with cross stitch. Iíll hit a wall with the cross stitch some day and will probably work a couple then.

The only picture with the toucan pattern is the computer generated one. Stitching it up itís turning out much brighter. Itís definitely a colorful beastie. I started with the top center pattern page and Iím almost through with that. The pattern is printed on a huge size grid so thatís not as much as it sounds like. Iíve done the areas where there are actually small blocks of color. Whatís left in this section is the here-a-stitch there-a-stitch part so that will be very slow going. Working on 14 count it looks like Iím making a lot more progress than I really am. Which is encouraging.

My goal today is just to have a quiet no drama day.

I wish I lived two hours from 123 Stitch. It would be a really bad thing financially, but loads of fun. Fortunately not enough fun to make me move to Utah. Lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would recommend against a split level. As you get older, stairs may become more difficult. Older pets sometimes have problems with stairs too. Although there are stair lifts you can get for your home. They are pricey, but if you got a good deal on the home it might be worth while.

We don't have a much ranch style housing in the area where I live. I think it is because the land is pricey. One of the wealthier suburbs here is known for having large houses with small lawns. They build the biggest house they can on the available land.

Sometimes I browse condos and apartments online just to get an idea of what the market is like. It is way too early to get a place though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Definitely second getting a ranch house if you decide to move, SD. My parents really needed to get out of their house for years but didn't until Mom died and Dad got sick. The house was too big for them anyway. They bought it when my next oldest sister and I were still teens and going to high school. I'm sure the people who bought it from us love the space, especially since it has extra off-street parking. Part of that is because the lot was a weird shape (it was on a rounded corner lot) and partially because my sister and I were/would be an extra set of drivers with our own cars. Some of the other original owners in the development mentioned to my parents that they wished they had planned for the extra off-street parking when the houses were being built (we moved into a totally new development).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Growing up my bedroom was always white. My parents couldn't afford a house until I was in high school and the places we rented didn't allow you to paint (or you had to repaint it white when you left). We had white walls in every room. That still seems normal to me now, I'm always off-put by brightly colored walls in other people's homes.

Anyway, maybe that is why I am attracted to bright colored fabrics, as a compensating mechanism.

Didn't get more than 2 hours sleep last night so I am a bit punchy today. Was going to work on my costume, pretty sure the mock-up fits now, but I don't think today is a good day to do that. DC, I am going to make that quilt. I think I can trust myself to run fabric through the cutter without disaster.

I went by JA this morning and got a fistful of new remnants. One is a deep blue that will be a good border on that orange and green quilt.

Use it up, Wear it out,