2019 Stash Management - Page 119
Page 119 of 144 FirstFirst ... 1969109116117118119120121122129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2148
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Toucan so far. I brightened the photo, a little too much, but then them camera flipped it. I’ll probably never figure out how to really use the dang camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-00477c8e-0e4a-49d7-8593-ad5244b45846.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-8921f68b-fb7e-40d2-96a7-f67140977117.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Toucan is coming along nicely. I like the fabric you chose, too.

We got the gutter cut, caulked, and assembled, so that's ready, and did some other prep work. It's supposed to rain so we didn't want to drag out all the tools and stuff to start putting it on the house. I'm hoping it won't take long to get it done later in the week when the weather dries out again.

I made another strap for the dog detangler.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oops wrong button. Here's the dog detangler attached to the A frame on the camper as originally planned.
    2019 Stash Management-20190616_130712_1566765359001.jpg
    Sometimes we will want to be able to anchor them to a picnic table bench, and the strap we had wouldn't be long enough. It's easy to switch straps, and the one not in use folds flat and fits in a pocket in the storage bag with the tie-outs so we will have everything together when we need it. Making the longer strap only took a few minutes and will come in handy.

I also modified Sota's harness to fit our current doggies. It makes me sad just to type that. It was hard working on it. But it's done now. I realized we needed a spare in case the current maniacs break a buckle on one of their harnesses. I don't want to spend anything on a new one we may never use, so it only made sense to use the one I already had. It will go into the K-9 Cube in the camper with the rest of their gear, just in case.

Not much done today. Husby cleaned and caulked a leaky gutter on the garage while I made the new gutter, so we're hoping that eliminates the patch of ice we always get by the corner of the garage where we walk.

The fridge pickles I made from a new recipe yesterday turned out good, but I think I will use dill seed instead of the basil called for the next time. They are a little hot, a little sweet, but have only 1 tbsp of sugar and ½ tsp of salt in a quart, so fairly healthy. Still have to try horseradish pickles this fall, too. So many recipes, so little time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only got 2 place mats from orange felt (not 4 as I thought). Looking for a very easy Halloween or Thanksgiving cross-stitch to make up and sew onto diagonal corners maybe.
    I cut the yellow plaid wool and ran zig-zag stitch 2" from the ends, started unraveling the fringe, slow but easy. Still have 2 yards left so maybe a gift from the other piece? It is "brushed" on one side, sort of fuzzy like flannel, will make a really nice throw.
    Picked up branches in the yard for an hour and tried to get rid of spiders/nests around doors and windows. They are awful this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some bureaucratic hubbub around here this morning. Sharon has stirred up a hornet’s nest - maybe. She came out and drove around a bit yesterday and a huge area is being cleared. She said it looked like around 150 acres. Can’t see it from here. Yet. She called a parish high up who referred her to the two people who issue permits for land use. There are none issued for extensive clearing here. Apparently to clear large areas you have to submit documents, like flood assessments, for approval. Not to mention paying for the permits. They are on their way out here to look into it and get to the bottom of what’s going on. Meanwhile, the woods are gone and all the wildlife has been booted out.

Has it been hot and humid here? One of the banana trees is actually growing bananas. In this area they should just be ornamental. At least I’ve never heard of anyone getting a banana crop here. Lol.

I’ll still be working on the cactus today. I may go on and finish that before I go back to the toucan. Or not.

I am way behind on housework. I just haven’t felt up to it, but it’s reached a point where I have to do it no matter how difficult it is. Today is the living room, tomorrow, probably errands I couldn’t do last week, Wednesday serious kitchen cleaning, Thursday/Friday groceries and the rest of the house. It’s not going to be a fun week. Keep me accountable for it!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's a shame, DC, and unfortunately not all that uncommon to clear land and get permission later. Especially if they know they have to jump through environmental hoops. Now the damage is done of course they'll get permission to build.

Raining hard here. The humidity is higher than the temperature. I've got to craft a postcard and that is the last of my creative work for a while. The costume is not happening, I'm just not feeling motivated enough to spend what little time I have left.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whew! The cutting is ok. More or less. The timber company that has a lot of land in the parish told them that they have no plan to sell or develop the land. They are just harvesting the timber and will probably replant. Twenty year old woods are a lot nicer than sapling plantations but at least we apparently aren’t having a new neighborhood plopped down in our front yard.

Sharon and I talked about the Marsh by my house yesterday. The guy prepping the land for her house is supposed to dig the small pond, but she’s had so much trouble just getting him back out to finish that that we decided not to push for the pond. I’ve been telling her we could plant it like a rain garden that would help support bees she eventually wants to get. If it doesn’t work, it can always be dug out later. There’s a tree there that has apparently adapted well to wet feet and I hate to lose another good size tree left behind when this land was cleared.

The housework is chancey despite my brave words. It’s windy and my bones are screaming about a weather change. I working on clearing the work table, but the floor probably won’t get done. There’s so much dust and grit on it, a bi more won’t be noticeable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like people were busy over the weekend. I'm still tired.

Got some work done on the wool afgan, now that the temps have cooled. It looks like the temps will be nice (no longer overly hot) so I should be able to focus on the wool afgan again for a while. Hopefully long enough so I can finish it before winter sets in. Then I can get back to my wool-blend afgan, which is ~2/3's done. I doubt I'll be able to get the w-b afgan done before winter but that's ok. I can still use it in the spring. The plain wool afgan is going to a friend so I want to get that finished first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like people were busy over the weekend. I'm still tired.

Got some work done on the wool afgan, now that the temps have cooled. It looks like the temps will be nice (no longer overly hot) so I should be able to focus on the wool afgan again for a while. Hopefully long enough so I can finish it before winter sets in. Then I can get back to my wool-blend afgan, which is ~2/3's done. I doubt I'll be able to get the w-b afgan done before winter but that's ok. I can still use it in the spring. The plain wool afgan is going to a friend so I want to get that finished first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dunno about a tree in wet ground. If it's a type with a shallow root pan, it could be a good candidate for falling in a high wind. If it's close enough to fall in any buildings maybe it should go.

Tree harvests are ugly, but they improve dramatically in a few short years. They may displace some plants and animals, but they create new habitat for other types of animals.

I've just been doing little stuff, but it's helping tidy up my sewing stuff. I added 4' pieces of webbing to 6 of our shopping bags. I noticed WM is selling reusable bags with strips on them that slide onto their bag holders, to hold the bags open so they're easier to load. *hanging head in shame for not thinking of this myself* If the new strips work, I'll add them to all our bags. I've always felt kinda bad about using cloth bags because I know they're a pain for baggers to deal with.

I sewed up 6 DfG shields I had in progress and packed those away.

I shuffled some stuff around in the sewing room to make better use of space. I have quite a few small empty spaces in my sewing room, so I'm trying to use those in better ways to help cut clutter.

I put all the machine embroidery stuff away, for now.

I put away some stuff off the work table, too.

I removed a board I had attached under my serger table to keep my foot control from sliding away. It wasn't doing what I need it to do. Not sure what I'll do now. The serger is currently weighting down the travel map frame I glued this morning, but I should get that back on its table by the end of the day.

I found out I've been threading my Tribute machine all wrong since I bought it 6 or 8 yrs ago.

I found a new package of those stretchy hair bands to use on my industrial bobbins, to tame the wild thread ends. Five of my 6 sewing tables are now completely decluttered, and all the clutter actually put away instead of being just stacked or shuffled. The industrial serger still has a big stack of fabric on it I need to deal with yet.

I think the tool battery drama is over now. It's been exactly like that ad where the husband has all kinds of charts and diagrams up on the walls while he tries to figure out what car to buy. The wife comes in, whips out his cell phone, asks what color he wants, and finds the car in two seconds. Husby actually created a spreadsheet. My achin' head! He keeps trying to drag me into the madness. BTDT, and I know better. I think what we're getting is 4 batteries, 4 adapters, and 2 chargers for $538 w/free shipping from HD. Ugh. But I'm sure China is kindly paying the tariff on them at least. Nice of them. Luckily, we're coming up on a use it or lose it deadline for some cashback money, so we only have to spend $38 out of pocket. I guess this is a good lesson in not putting off buying batteries till almost all 9 of them have to be replaced at once. We will most likely have to buy more since we have so many tools that use those batteries. It's not unusual to have 6 or so of them in use on the same project, with the extras rotating on and off the chargers as needed. It will sure be nice to have good batteries again, especially since these new ones are promising extended run time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The “marsh” isn’t boggy all the time. It’s just a little bit of a depression where water collects after heavy rain and drains slowly. Most of the time it’s dry. During a prolonged rainy spell it will stay wet because it can’t fully drain/dry between rains. It is like the rain garden environment that is built to collect rainwater and then dry, not like a wetland, so the tree has had the opportunity to develop a root system. Anyway it’s not right at the house and the tree isn’t tall enough to hit the roof if it did fall. We have such a high water table here, probably a lot of our native trees have to be able to handle water like that.

I’m just glad the flap about potential development is over.

I haven’t accomplished much of anything today but I’m feeling better so maybe I can do more this evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is nice you will have woods again. maybe some pines or something to suck up water would help. if they grow there.
    just been puttering and tidying up. doing laundry the usual. cut up and froze the peaches. watching just add magic on amazon w dd. cute show. ds and friends invaded so snacks of course. not much motivation here. is lovely weather but don't feel like being out. dd and I did make it to fabricland sale. got some last year fabrics for 4.5 to 6 $ a meter/yard so got 5 yds each. bought a pattern too.. wow they have gone up since I last bought one. but of course that was decades ago lol they didn't have one I wanted a full skirt wrap dress. found another that is the same as dresses I bought. Simplicity has them but seems only walmart can sell them. so may have to go across the border for it. 2019 Stash Management-clothdress.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The land around here is pretty marshy as well. I have heard the land DC was built on used to be a swamp. But I have just read that this was a myth. Although they do say that there "marshy areas" and "swampy areas." And there was a neighborhood called Swampoodle. Some sites say the area is classified as a wetland.

We get standing puddles near where I live (near suburbs). There is a frog living in one of the puddles currently. Sometimes mushroom sprout up on lawns and grassy areas.

Basement flooding is a common thing.

I saw three deer this morning in the edge of the mini woods in front of my condo complex. They were only around 15 feet away. This is the closest I have seen them.

We had a nice temperature today. It was only in the high 70s and not raining.

Crafty bits,

I ordered some minky yesterday. I got 1/2 yard of "llama." Not real llama, minky designed to be like llama. I also picked up several of what the called short cuts. These were end of the bolt pieces with less than a yard left. But I think they were all at least 1/3 yard. It was not tiny scrap pieces.

I got another bit of vinyl in yesterday. These are bits that are supposed to look like leather. They have a texture and are in neutral/neutralish colors. They are shiny, but not glittery. Shiny kind of like a polished shoe.

I got some more pearl cotton with metallic accents in it.

I started on another little doll. I have also started on covering the sole of a pair of flip flops to use as a shoe sole. This will make more sense with pictures - maybe. It is a little complicated. Since the soles are hard to sew through, the plan is to sew fabric around them and then sew things to the fabric. I am also thinking of cutting up one of my floor mats to make shoe soles with. I got a set of six and I do not use all of them. They are called puzzle mats and they are meant to fit together and cover a large area.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The cabin next door is up for sale now. They are summer people. Our nearest year round neighbors' place is for sale too. They already moved out. The year round place on the other side has been empty and for sale for years. The only neighbors we have left are the Alaskans who tried to kick our trailers off our own land. They are also seasonals. The real estate market is so slow here.

I got the zippers on the roof of the new screen room, repaired the rips in the screens, and did some other minor repairs. It turns out the walls were wider than they appeared when attached to the old roof, which saved me probably at least 2 days work. I will only have to extend one side of one zipper by 2". Fine by me, since I want a pass-through by one of the zippers anyway.

Once I get that one zipper mod done, then I just have to add 18" skirt panels around the bottom. The screen walls just barely reach the ground with nothing left over. Have to add some loops at the bottom for the tent stakes, too. Another day should get it done or close to it, once I get a chance to work on it again. I think tomorrow we're working on the gutter again. We're getting into fall here so outside work is the priority.

I used wash away stabilizer to repair the torn screens. I love that stuff! I've never washed it out before and it's actually fun to watch it disappear.

Nothing much going on here. I spent all my time on the screen room today. Good to have it this far along.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If the timber company replants, it will be with pine.

I finally got the car registration sorted out. I didn’t lose it, I never got it. Apparently they have updated the license address but not the registration and the original and copy both went to the old apartment address (pulls out hair). So how did I get the license update sticker? I thought they came together. Sigh it’s louisiana, so we can’t expect it to be sensible. Anyway it’s all fixed now but it cost me another 16.50. So it goes. At least I’m legal again and can get the car inspected next month. The good thing is that when I walked in the dmv I was their only customer. Can’t beat that! In Shreveport it would have taken me half a day and probably surliness instead of smiles and apologies for having to charge me. I don’t fault them though. I’d be surly too if I had to work at the Shreveport office and deal with impatient, annoyed, angry, and generally put upon feeling people all day.

I got the next JA flyer today and see they have a 30% off l entire regular priced purchase coupon for Sep 8-9. I am getting low on some dmc colors so before then I want to get my floss collected from all the WIPs and inventory all of it and see what I really need. Some of the large ones call for multiple skeins of colors and between those I will probably need to add a skein or two. I know two of them off hand that both need 2 skeins of a dark blue and I know for sure I don’t have 4 skeins of it. I’m sure there will others like that.

The larger seed bead order is supposed to be here by tomorrow. I will start that one but then no other new patterns until I get some of these UFOs finished. If I got them all out and set up in project bags ready to go, I would have enough variety not to get bored for sure. How many there are is totally embarrassing. If I cave in and do start another it will probably be the mermaid pattern I got from the Philippines. But I’m going to try to focus on finishing up some of the old.

We’ll see how long that lasts!