2019 Stash Management - Page 12
Page 12 of 194 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You should see our summers here. Well worth a few cold days! I just hope we have enough snow cover to keep our underground water lines from freezing.

I read a suggestion a few weeks ago about putting quilt binding in a container on the floor so it feeds nicely as it's being sewed on. I tried it and liked it, but don't have a good spot to set my container. I set it on a trash can, but then I can't use that without moving the container. I've been trying different things and finally found the right container and trash can, but still don't like the container on the trash can all the time, so then I need a space to store it. I want it over the trash all the time. I finally figured out I can build a shallow box to sit on end. The trash will sit in the box with container on top. This will also keep stuff from falling into the trash by accident. When it warms up a little I want to make the box. It won't take very long. Simple project, and it should work better than the lidded trash cans I considered.

I didn't think I had many gowns done, but it's about half, so won't take long to finish. Today's goal is that and getting the bonnets all figured out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gowns are done, finally.
    2019 Stash Management-20190120_105111_1548004683732.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-20190120_105052_1548004761402.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-20190120_105038_1548004839111.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are beautiful. The ones with the blue vests are really cute.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. The vested ones are more blue than greenish. I still need to develop good vest patterns. I think my favorite is the one with the purple heart. I just put the heart on it to cover up a stain on the lace underneath it, but it worked out well. I also like the purple lace one next to it. That and the yellow one were made from full length lace sleeves. There are lots of them I think turned out nice.

I got some of the bonnets ready to sew, but can't seem to get enthused about it today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D our room looks beautiful....

SD those are beautiful....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can identify with looking through books and wanting to fly before I learn to walk. Most of the really cool stuff is advanced.

I have noticed less problems with my hands being stiff and sore. Even though it has been cold and rainy lately. It is 13 this morning. That is really cold for the DC area. I think that stress may contribute more than weather.

This shutdown has actually been pretty good for me so far. I feel a little guilty saying that when so many people are suffering. But having a month off has been wonderful. Once I stopped getting annoyed with all the political news.

We have enough to last two more months, maybe longer. If it last past then I will worry, but not before. It seems unlikely to last that long.

I am going to post pictures of my mushroom embroidery in progress. I will talk more about it in a latter post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190120_114206508_1548076208041.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sharon is going to be out here today, so yesterday I put housework aside (what a sacrifice! Lol) and worked on the scarves. I finished one in progress and made another quick one last night. I haven’t been crocheting at all so I only have four more to give her, but at least there is that.

I’ll probably spend some time at the kitchen house. LG is out if school and some of the troops work at places closed for MLK, so the project is a spring cleaning over there and a Big Bake. Apparently there are cake and brownie mixes and other things bought for holiday sweets that weren’t used. The plan is to bake as much of it as possible today to clear it out. It will be distributed, gifted, and probably some frozen for later. I’ll probably take some yarn and work on scarves. If I just do it in dc, I can maybe get another done for her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy, I don't see how this can go on much longer. TSA sickouts are going up, and some people are encouraging a wildcat strike. If air travel is shut down, this would be over fast. There's also supposed to be a big protest rally Wednesday to support fed employees. And the optics of news reports showing long lines of people waiting hours to get free groceries have to be forcing up the pressure to reopen. Other stuff seems to be happening, too. At any rate, it would be nice if something can happen soon to get past the stalemate. This mess is impacting all of us in one way or another, some to a greater degree of course.

Sounds like a fun day, D.

I'm working on bonnets today and have the first 5 in progress. Not sure if I will have to take time to cut out the pouches first. I try to get the bonnets from scraps to make best use of fabric.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really must get to freezer organization. I said there would probably be surprises and I happened to find one this morning. I pulled out a loaf of bread that I had stuffed in, still in the grocery bag. I took the bread out if the bag, but when I picked the bag up there was still a weight little in it. ??? I reached in and what was in there? A pair of reading glasses that had gone missing. They must have fallen off the kitchen table into the bag before I got all the groceries put away that day. Yeah. I’ve really got to go through that freezer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eleven bonnets done. I hope I can finish tomorrow.

Happy Martin Luther King Day! I hope his words can inspire us all to do better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see the website where I got my angel gown patterns is gone now. Good thing I have hard copies of everything. I liked her information because she said she was a NICU nurse for over 10 years and seemed to know what worked for dressing the babies.

I think my autocorrect has gone rogue. It's certainly misbehaving lately. It's started to remind me of a critique partner I once had, who kept changing my words, not because they were incorrect, but because of, she said, "Personal preference." I take criticism well, but that crossed the line. She didn't last long, needless to say.

I digress. Like usual.

My additional quilt clips arrived and don't fit into the metal box I just moved them into. Not unexpected, but I was hopeful. I split up the sizes and found another box, but it's rusty inside. I thought about sanding and painting, but I think I will hot glue a fabric lining into it, doing my usual sloppy job and burning my fingers to a crisp. Maybe if I work with hot glue enough, I will learn how to do it.

Nah.

UPS actually drove up the hill. The guy said his big brown truck is a 4x4. It would have to be. Glad I don't buy the gas.

It appears there are going to be approximately 9,063,361,905 Dem candidates running in the presidential primary. I will need a spreadsheet or a Kornacki to keep track of them all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like people survived the winter weather. Yesterday was brutally cold, although no where near as bad as the temps in SD's area. It only got down into the single digits Sunday and Monday nights. The temps on Monday were into the mid-teens. Fortunately, we only had rain in my area and it ended and the roads pretty much dried off before the cold really hit.

Finished off skein #8 on the wool afgan over the weekend. I'm almost finished with skein #9. I think I'll just finish off with the partial skein left over from the first wool afgan. I would've probably had it finished by Monday but I held off to work on it on Monday, when it was really cold.

I picked up some yarn for another afgan I promised one of my Dad's aides/nurses where he lives in Indiana. I went out on Saturday to the local Michaels to see what they had since I really needed to see what yarn worked well together. She likes purple and green and I did find some pastel purple and green that looked good together. Fortunately, it was the soft yarn. A bit more expensive but she's helping to take care of my Dad so it's worth it. I did get it started on Saturday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

spirit deer..don't blame you! sounds like if you had excepted her changing words she would have moved on too controlling something else. I mean besides respecting if someone doesn't like swearing or lords name in vain. or in the case of my 14yr old.. eh is not a proper answer lol

haven't done much crafting..hands bugging me. the usual .. did rearrange table and bench downstairs to sew dd blanket which didn't happen yet. playroom too and catch all storage don't go there much lol stressful. but if I want to claim it back. and no one puts things away properly on extra food storage..found hidden on the floor in toys. expired jar of pb nov 18, 9 cans of cat food still good and a box of my kcups 24 pk ..didn't think I drank them that fast but didn't see them so ordered more. also boxes of kleenex that i thought we were out of so bought more. at least stuff that gets used here. found cover for storage area/front of sewing machine..broken..hopeful machine still works ..ds had gotten into it when he decided to learn to sew without me there. broke needles too so hasn't been touched since. dd got a machine from her nana but nana could never figure it out and probably needs servicing first.

did find a new frozen crochet kit half price at value village sale 2.99 for the gift box. plan to send it up north as a donation.
    2019 Stash Management-frozen.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's 21 here but we're in for more cold this weekend. It's snowing but not seriously. Should be good conditions to make the driveway nice and greasy, so I hope UPS won't try to drive up with my shiny new KA meat grinder.

I made a velvet lining for the little tin for the new quilt clips, and it actually turned out nice. Maybe I really can learn to do a decent job with hot glue.

Nah.

2019 Stash Management-20190122_113333_1548178488561.jpg

I went through the box of Hawaii scraps Maui Magic (still miss her &#x1f641 sent me a few years ago, sorted them, pressed the extremely wrinkled ones, and got them in order. I cut a couple dozen 2.5 squares from orphan scraps that didn't go with anything and weren't very big. They will be fun random designs in the 9 patch.

I'm unmotivated on the bonnet project today, but at least I'm getting odds and ends done. I found my tiny iron and added it to the iron drawer, and moved the ironing tools to the empty drawer below the irons, in the work table where they're most likely to be used. Now I have an empty pull out in a wardrobe, so I have to see what makes sense to put in there.

Plow truck is here, lucky for UPS. So glad Husby has decided not to resume shoveling that driveway. Plow truck does in 10 minutes what took him hours of misery by hand, and does more area which is nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, if you're writing and critting romance and you did not ask NOT to be paired with someone writing single title romance, you do not get to object to a few swear words. The critter in question did not object much to the swearing, which was mild and limited. One of my characters often referred to another as 'sugar' and all that got changed to 'sweetheart' for no reason. It was just weird. She really griped when my guy referred to his girlfriend as 'lovey'. She also changed stuff like the phrase 'glare ice' to 'glaze ice' which I had never heard before, and lectured me about using the word 'roil' which she said did not exist. It would have been hilarious if it wasn't so annoying. But finding a good crit partner is difficult, sort of like marrying someone you've never seen before and just hoping for compatibility. By that time I had already co-written and co-edited a how-to book for our writers group chapter, which was worldwide, and had also mentored several new writers through our mentoring program via that same chapter. I had also written one or two drafts of my first novel. The critique partner was a novice and we just were not a good match.

It was interesting working with new writers. The worst are those who won't accept facts, using the excuse they don't have to because they're writing fiction. Um, no. If you open
    your book with a scene where your heroine has just piled up her vintage 1960s VW Beetle by hitting a telephone pole and is standing in front of the car with the hood up staring at the steaming radiator, you're going to look stupid and get called on what's wrong with that picture by readers. The ones who actually want to learn are THE BEST, so it wasn't all bad. There are lots of talented writers out there and I was privileged to mentor some who showed a lot of promise.