2019 Stash Management - Page 120
Page 120 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2070110117118119120121122123130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're now legal again, dc. And that it didn't take all day to get fixed. I actually renewed my registration done online recently. Yay!

Still working on the wool afgan for a friend. It's coming along. About halfway done with skein #4. I think I need to pick up one or two more skeins so I have to go to the local Joann's. Michaels no longer sells that brand of yarn. I don't bother with the local Hobby Lobby's because I didn't really like the selection the one time I went there and it's inconvenient to get to to begin with. I could order it online but I only need a couple skeins and online orders have started to require ordering 3 skeins at a time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have not renewed by ID yet. Maryland is transitioning to "real ID." Which means we need to take a bunch of original documents to the office to get it. We plan to do it sometime in September. We we originally planning to do it in this summer, but it just felt too hot to go anyplace. After that initial bit, we would probably be able to renew online.

SD, I hope it works out with you for the housing. The DC area is still a sellers market, but that could change. There seems to be a trend of wanting to reduce the size of the government workforce. We might also be seeing a trend of starting to move more US government workers away from the DC area. I was just googling the number of government workers in the DC area. It is much lower than I thought. We are listed at just 8.4% of the people in the DC area. I thought it would be much higher than that.

I have one more splurge to make, an order of jigsaw puzzles. Unless I can think of some other thing I want to order. It is actual a bit hard to splurge when you are used to being frugal. At least for me. On of the problems is that I already have more craft supplies than I have time to craft with them. That is good and bad. I am happy I have enough money to buy craft supplies. I am unhappy that I do not have more free time.

Even with money, I still like to browse around the internet for the best deals.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The beads are still shown as due today, but the tracking doesn’t show them out for delivery. So most likely they won’t come until tomorrow. I don’t need them immediately but I just want to see them. Impatience, thy name is Donna! How silly is that. Nevertheless - hrmpf.

I looked at the WIPs again last night. A couple are so old I have lost all interest in them, so will probably just reclaim the remaining fabric and abandon them. It’s time down the drain, but that’s no reason to give them more. I’ll just take my lumps and move on. There are plenty of others.

I may not stitch much today but start working on the thread list. That’s going to take quite a bit of time. Also there is always housework. I haven’t been looking at the weather much but I figured out why the arthritis kicked up so savagely the last couple of days. We had some wild thunderstorms overnight. I usually sleep through anything, but these woke me up three times. Happily they have moved on out and today is better all around. I have a lot of catch up to do though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - I have sadly gotten over my reluctance to splurge. I need to move back in the other direction.

Going through patterns and projects reminded me of a pattern I am wild to do but it is huge, would need a very high count to work, and I doubt I would live long enough to finish it. Unfortunately those are not very compelling set against the “want it!”

https://heavenandearthdesigns.com/in...7fddefbb3ffb97

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're not in a hurry to sell our house, Kathy. If the mine project goes through here, the real estate market will be on fire for a while. Then we won't have any trouble selling. We have a great location even with our hill, in an area where there isn't much buildable land available anymore.

Usually logging companies will replant. They want to be able to harvest that land again some year. At least that's how it works here. This is a big logging area here, as you can imagine, so we have lots of tree plantations around.

I got Husby to cut up a big giant printer box, so that will be decluttered. He's making ovals that go on the base of a cat scratcher. It used to have carpet on it but someone peed on it. We duct tape a double layer of cardboard to the base, and all 3 cats love to scratch it while they scratch themselves on the arched brush on th at toy. Naturally the cardboard doesn't last forever, but now we will have 7 refills made from extra heavy cardboard all ready and no giant box to store.

I cut the pieces of nylon for the zipper extension and the skirting. Then I got sidetracked.

One of our cats, Cody, has decided she needs to pee in the master bathroom, outside the box she forced us to put in there. I've been trying to figure out where to put the huge dog crate we don't have any space for in the house, so we can lock her up at night. There just isn't anywhere for it. But CH posted about the cat condo she used for her cat. I was about to price something like that this morning when I realized we already have something like that.
    2019 Stash Management-20190602_115854_1567020162959.jpg
    As I said earlier, I salvaged this bird cage to grow zucchini so critters wouldn't eat the blossoms. But it's more urgent to keep Cody crated at night, so I cleaned up the cage, added a couple shelves, and made a pad for one of the shelves. It should work out nicely. I'm sure she won't think so, but I'm happy we don't have to buy anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whew! After a major ordeal, I finally got my membership renewed for my writers' org. I wasn't going to, but decided at the last second to keep it, then couldn't get my stupid worthless laptop to work, and then got locked out of my account. Fortunately, they got my SOS e mail and responded right away, so that got straightened out and I'm good for the next year. I hope I get some time to focus on writing over winter. I'd like to do NaNo again in November, but probably won't get that far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD Yes that looks like a cat condo. You could make it quite nice I'm sure. I may not have mentioned but the dog finally has started using his "real" dog bed and the cardboard box + blanket "homemade" bed sometimes. Initially he would not use either. I have another cardboard box the same size so I'm keeping that around.
    I finished the fringe on the yellow wool throw and it's hanging in the closet until needed. I re-stuffed another pillow, 2 more to go. Glad I won't have to store that big bag of poly-fill. Found 2 simple cross-stitch patterns for the orange felt place mats, need to pull floss colors. I can do the cross-stitch at dad's on Saturday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Whew! It took hours but I have the floss project done. I had a big pile I needed to put away in the bobbin boxes and when I temporarily added the floss from current projects to it I had a very big pile. It was good to get it all back in the boxes at once so I could take stock. Now I know pretty much what I will be using for the UFOs that I still want to complete (I ditched two) and made a list of what I need to buy for them, as well as a few colors I am low on that are often used in the patterns I choose. I may or may not get an extra skein of those. So one little corner of the stash is managed. For the moment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am officially, in my estimation, the FV Crazy Cross Stitch Lady. Really crazy. I am going to succumb to the lure of the giant project. I’m setting out my rationalizations. Judge kindly.

I like these bookshelf paintings. I have several as jigsaw puzzles that are hugely fun to work with all the details. I don’t remember if I have this one but think I do. If so I haven’t worked it yet. I know I can happily spend hours with them.

I have done a huge project before so I know what a hassle it is to deal with fabric that size. That won’t be a surprise. That was years ago and I could sit for long hours at a table, something I can’t do now. But I worked it other places, even in the car. I can do this.

As big projects go, what this has to recommend it is full on interesting detail. No big stretches of boring sky or background. Also the bits are small so it will be like lots of little cross stitches, with great variety. That will be motivating.

I love the colors in this one. All the colors. And the seasonal progression of the shelves. The basic pattern has has around 90 colors - I don’t remember how many. I will get the maximum color version - 237. After examining the computer mock of the two, it is much more successful at defining the tiny details. This will earn me next rank of Very Crazy Cross Stitch Lady.

I am experimenting with fabric first. It calls for 25 count that I have never used. After calculating sizes, I could use 22 or even 20 if I had to. I think 18 would be just too massive. I hope I can manage the finer count - and that my eyes hold out - lol. I have a full yard of 22 that I got super cheap on eBay several years ago and have ordered small cuts of 20 and 25 from 123 Stitch. The 25 count is pre-gridded. I will do something small on all three to see how small I can tolerate.

It will be the cheapest cost per hour of entertainment ever. The pattern - I will get the hard copy large size chart - $17 + shipping. In that configuration it has 98 pages. With that many symbols, the larger chart will be easier to read. If I can use the 25 count it will be about $28. If I go with the 20, it will be about $35. Using the 237 color version, there will be little floss to buy because only a few of them indicate more than one skein, and those are colors that mostly I have more than a skein of already. Of course some may be used up on other projects first, but I will still have almost all I need on hand.

This will be super long term. My goal is a six year project, to be finished by the end of 2025. I did the other big one in 5 years. It had a lot less stitching but now I have a lot more time. If it never gets finished, it doesn’t matter. The stitching is fun for its own sake, my philosophy for all my projects. I’m retired and am no longer accountable for productivity. I will do other things along with it. 237 colors on tiny count fabric will be crazy making so I will need easy things to do too.

And finally, I just want to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All that and no picture? It's like a book without the last chapter!

I think your last sentence is the only justification you need. 🙂

Remember this little cabinet?
    I set it up a while back for my quilting stuff.
    2019 Stash Management-20181210_112101_1567094858867.jpg
    In clearing off my work table, I found some quilt templates I wanted to put away in the shallow drawer between the second and third white boxes. Then I remembered I hadn't built the shallow drawer yet. Of course. But since playing with power tools is infinitely more fun than sorting clutter, I decided today was the day. I disassembled, resized, and rebuilt a shallow pullout from old cabinets we trashed a couple years ago, so now that chore is done and my quilt templates have a home. It's nothing fancy but it will do the job. So I used up a spare pullout and created storage where it was needed, for free. I love that cabinet for quilt stuff and it will be even better now.
    2019 Stash Management-20190829_103830_1567095382093.jpg

I also wanted to add the backer to the upper part of the cabinet, but we needed to slide 3 cabinets down ¾". Seriously, things are that tight in my sewing room. It's not as easy as it sounds to move stuff because the oak wardrobe in between the 2 glassed cabinets is on little blocks, and the feet fall off the blocks if we breathe wrong in there. But we got it done, eventually. Now there's room to add a ¼" backer. Probably not today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I posted a link a day or two ago. You must have missed it. Here it is again

https://heavenandearthdesigns.com/in...ducts_id=16929

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow that is an awesome pattern. realized today when dd came back from last time pet sitting this time for friends. forgot I had planned to go over there and look at their colour scheme because I was going to make a blanket for them from caron cakes. asked dd and she was I think they have a white or brown couch...really...so will figure it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, D! That's going to be some project. Gorgeous! Sorry I missed it the first time.

I got most of the zipper extension done on the screen room. What an ordeal. It's been a struggle the whole way. But the worst should be over. The skirts should be easy, and then it's just a couple little things to finish up. It will be nice to have both rooms done. Not sure what my next sewing project is. Maybe the shirt I cut out weeks ago, and some DfG pads that need to be serged.

Still plenty of outside work, too. I figured out how to lengthen the stringers for the cabin ramp, so I hope we can get that done yet this fall. It would clear some more stuff out of the garage.

Next is the gutter though, as soon as the weather clears up. I want that done before all that aluminum gets dinged.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - what a clever idea to make the shallow drawer. that turned out good.
    D - that project would be alittle too big for me but i agree with SD - the fact you want to do it is all
    you need to say. i think the toucan picture is absolutely beautiful. love the colors and fabric. i will
    enjoy watching your progress on the shelves.

i am going to start on another crochet basket soon. i am finishing up a couple scarves now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Early bird - I’m sure it’s too big for me too but one of my greatest talents is the proverbial biting off more than I can chew. I guess I feel like I have to justify it to myself because there are a lot of other, more reasonable, projects on the plate too. One of them is another pattern from this company, but a lot smaller. It’s a raven. I’ll look up the link and post that after while.

I had a ridiculous senior moment on the 123 Stitch order yesterday. When I got the shipping notification today it showed a piece of lugana 32 count. That’s wrong, I thought. It was the 25 count. I went back to the order confirmation, and nope, that’s what I put in the cart. Huh? I try to be so careful when I order fabric, but obviously, not yesterday. It’s not a serious problem because it’s only 9x13 and is a fabric I use often anyway. But I wanted to try the 25. I decided to just go on and buy the 25 for the shelves. It’s what is recommended and surely if I can work with the holes on 32, I can manage 25.

There’s worse. Poking around among patterns I found one I love almost more than the bookshelves, but for different reasons. It’s such a happy picture, a riff on the “When I am an old woman I shall wear purple ...”. This is such a great company. They will customize patterns. This one was available in the much smaller mini size. For $10 they would make it with maximum colors. I think that will help it not to feel like it’s lost so much detail. I don’t know where that will fit in the queue, but that’s one I will actually frame if it ever gets done. I’ll post that link too. I’ll link to the big full size one to show it better, but I’m definitely not doing that one. I know I can’t live long enough to do two giant ones.

I don’t know how long it will take them to prepare the custom pattern, but when it’s ready I will get both. Meanwhile, on with the cactus and toucan.