2019 Stash Management - Page 123
Page 123 of 194 FirstFirst ... 2373113120121122123124125126133173 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’ve decided I like auto correct. A few extra laughs a day can’t be too bad. It’s aggravating if they aren’t caught in time though.

I just spent a chunk of time making a grocery list. I’ll pick that up tomorrow and if I can get myself together early enough get a haircut. By the time I get home the scary 25 count fabric will be here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think almost everyone who does some type of crafting has a few unfinished objects or works in progress. I know I do.

I have been thinking about my own unfinished projects. Some are works in progress I will most likely get back to. Others are more complicated. I don't like giving up on projects. So I wind up putting them aside, telling myself I will get back to them later. I wind up not getting back to them. But I keep them and don't admit that I have given up on the project.

I am thinking now of the whole doll reroot project I started on. I looked at a lot of websites before starting on the project. It looked fun to me. I really thought this would be something I would enjoy doing. I was wrong. So really there is no point in me finishing it. I guess it mostly that I don't like to think of myself as a quitter. Maybe I have read too many "never give up" motivational quotes.

But I need to remind myself that "never give up," "never quit," etc. is not something that was meant to apply to all situations. This is not a matter of quitting because the learning curve is to high. It is more that I just don't really enjoy it. There are other crafts I enjoyed just starting out, even without much skill.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Uh oh. Now it's scary? Can't wait for the next chapter in this story!

I have a love/hate with autocorrect. It's great when it actually corrects, but when it goes off on its own, not so much. And I really hate that it corrects any word that can be either a noun or a name to the name. Like if I type something like hopes it changes to Hope's unless I change it back. Hate that. And it always capitalizes words like Afghan. Ugh.

It's pouring rain out there. A good day to work on trip planning. This month has barely started and it's already flying by.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like people were busy this past weekend. I ended up working on the wool afgan for a friend. Finished skein #4 and now I'm about halfway through skein #5. I picked up two more skeins for it. I think I probably needed just one but I think I'll use up all the skeins anyway. That or use the remainders for a lap blanket. I can pass that along to the same friends, either for their own use or to pass it along to people they know who may like one.

I picked up a skein for a lapgan WIP. I'm not entirely sure if what I had already would be enough. Turns out it wasn't the same color but that's ok. I can still use it since it'll be a donation and make the lapgan look a little more interesting.

My local sheep and fiber festival is this coming weekend and I can't wait. I just hope that the rain will either end with enough time to dry out the ground before the weekend or totally hold off.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, life is too short to spend time on projects you don't enjoy. Especially a hobby project, where it's supposed to be fun or relaxing. Otherwise it's called "work". I usually enjoy gardening, but often it is not fun and it's just drudge work like weeding and picking up branches and blown-in trash. But that has to be done. I don't have enough days left to keep working on a frivolous craft project gone wrong or that brings me misery.

It's shaping up to be a beautiful day. Unfortunately I'm going to be indoors most of the day. DH is really sick this time. I don't know if it is the same bug he had before our trip, we thought he was over that, or a new one he picked up from the crowd in the convention center. Today he actually crawled back into bed after checking in with work early this morning.

I didn't buy much this trip. Spent about $50 with vendors and made a donation to the animal shelter that was there advertising their cutest adoptables. DH spent more. He had me panicked for a while, all the CC receipts came to my email, and I didn't recognize the signature. I thought our card had been stolen. No, DH signs those finger pads by drawing a stick figure.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think all of us were probably raised with the don’t be a quitter ethic, but sometimes quitting is the reasonable thing to do. It’s too easy to equate quitting with failure, but they aren’t the same thing. Knowing when to stop is as important as perseverance. I agree that hobbies, or a specific project, should be fun, and if they aren’t, there is no reason to continue giving them more time and resources. (Steps off soap box.)

The road work that blocked the direct route to town is finished so I won’t have to take the looong way around today. That will save a good bit of time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I understand the dilemma, Kathy. But I feel like it's been personal growth for me to learn to let something go if it's not a necessary project or it just isn't any fun. Case in point, the recent storage tube fiasco for the camper. That was a rough one, since it was so close to working and we invested so much money in it. But since I accepted it was a miserable project, I'm okay about it. Another approach, if you don't want to let it go yet, maybe using a different type of fiber would help. It depends why it's not enjoyable though.

CH, I hope your husband gets better soon.

D, did your 25 ct fabric arrive yet?

I got some trip planning done and got us to Hannibal, MO. That ended up being Day13. This was supposed to be a 2 week trip. Husby wants to see a bunch of stuff on the way home. This is going to be interesting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It’s here! It’s tiny for sure but I think I can do it. I actually got both packages today. The one I ordered last Wednesday where I ordered the wrong fabric - 32 instead of 25 and the one with the 25 ct I sent the next day. I was totally confused when I opened them because the one with the larger grid was marked 25. Eventually I realized the 32 was also gridded - I was expecting just plain, but that makes it easier to understand how I made the mistake in the first place. Part of the confusion was because when I work with 32 I’m actually thinking 16, since it’s always over two. Eventually I got over my senior moment and figured it out. As I expected, the small piece of 20 count aida is harder to see that then 25 lugana, which is an evenweave more or less like linen but with the irregular size threads. I can’t imagine doing cross stitch on it. Maybe some intricate blackworkf over two squares. It’s just going in stash now.

No haircut. I puttered around and got off later than I intended. I’ll just have shaggy hair a little longer.

I can’t imagine being in a category 4/5 hurricane, much less for 36 hours. Those poor people must feel like the universe hates them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunday I worked on a quilted pillow cover to fit over an existing throw pillow. I can see my method has flaws and if I want to do another one I need to come up with a better construction method. But I should be able to finish tonight. The rest of the week's plan is finish the arm & neck bindings on the top and knit some more finger-less gloves. We're planning a dog event 1st weekend of February and the facility is always freezing. So I bring those along for the workers and they are appreciated. I think I found enough small leftover yarn balls to make 3 pair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a fair amount done on the toucan yesterday, but spent some of my stitching time putting thread on the cardboard bobbins for the shelf pattern. Just a start. I also regrouped on the bobbin boxes, moving duplicates into their own boxes. That cut the working thread down to four boxes which is more manageable.

Today I need to finally put away the new larger beads. I think that’s going to require some shifting around too. I also have a lot of kitchen work, putting away the rest of the groceries and washing some really unpleasant containers. Bleach will be involved. Before I left yesterday I finally made myself clean out the refrigerator, a job I had obviously put off way too long. Last week was such an awful arthritis week I couldn’t do anything at all, but I’m better this week and I have a lot of catching up to do. I hope the good times last until I can get the house more under control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I through out the old doll I had started the reroot on!

I also unjoined the reddit sub I was on for dolls. Only about 5% were people doing sewn dolls. The rest were doll mods, people who made doll clothes or people just showing off dolls they had bought.

It seems like sewing cloth dolls is not as popular as modding fashion dolls.

I am still on the fence about sewing doll clothes. I have four more dolls I bought to make doll clothes for. I will hold onto them for now.

The clothes I make for my sewn dolls are very simple things.

I have five felt sheets that I think are good colors for dolls. I can get three dolls from one sheet, so I can still gets lots of dolls from what I have left. And the clothes just use tiny scraps of fabric. So I will keep making my little felt dolls for now.

In the future, if I wanted to do more with dolls, I would play around with different doll patterns for sewn dolls.
    KathyB

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, it seems that cloth dolls are considered toys or crafts, while clay or purchased dolls are collectibles. A dollmaker friend of mine really wanted to do cloth dolls and made some beautiful ones but people wouldn't buy them. People wouldn't pay for the work involved, and a few people even told her they weren't "safe for children" (when they weren't intended as toys in the first place).

Does anyone have any good advice for cleaning pillows? I have a tapestry throw pillow given to me by a dear departed friend, and it has become a little stained and off-colored over the years. The stuffing is quite solid, cotton or fiber wadding, not polyfill so I think just getting it wet (and dry again) isn't the answer. The cover doesn't come off, it has piping, so it's not a matter of just opening a seam. Any ideas? Maybe spot cleaning?

Still have vertigo, not doing much today.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No help here on the pillow. It seems lately I am not at home to cleaning. Anything. I ended up tackling the living room instead of the kitchen, since that’s what I look at all the time. It’s become more of a project than I intended, moving floor lamps to get a brighter one where I work and getting a larger table by the recliner. I had put the cross stitch stuff away in the bedroom, some of it in a hard to get to place between the bed and wall, but since I have apparently moved back into full cross stitch mode, which wasn’t the plan, I want that in the living room. That’s not a huge job, since it’s all pretty much in containers, as is the fabric stash it will replace, but there is a cost in time and energy.

I am going to whine. I am so ready for this scorching summer to be over. Heat index is 100 again today, and the forecast for the next five days is temps from 100-103. After that it drops back down to a few days of 96-97, like today. Almost a cold front. I just drove down to the mailbox and was only outside four or five minutes but that was long enough to come back in with roasted eyeballs. The humidity is low, only 35%, so it’s a blast furnace rather than a steam cooker, but enough is enough already! At least the banana trees, ok, not trees, are flourishing.

Back to work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The stitching shelf chart just shipped. I had about decided the cleaning was about done for the day. Now there is new motivation!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a bandanna in a nice medium blue w/pink print. It's large enough to cover another pillow front and I have blue scraps to match for the back. Changing the bedroom over from mostly-pink to mostly-blue -- until I want to use the yellow flower quilt when I'll want yellow pillow covers. Hence making them all removable - either zippers or button back.

The bindings are sewn onto the top, completing the hand-stitching in the next day or two.