2019 Stash Management - Page 126
Page 126 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2676116123124125126127128129136 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2132
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

All missions accomplished. I won’t have to get a haircut again for a long time. I said short and was taken at my word. I think I could go undercover in a marine boot camp. But I’m quite happy with it.

Joann was tricky. When I got to the two bottom shelves of floss at floor level, I could not read the numbers with my reading glasses and could barely read my list without them. Lol. However finally it was done. I also picked up a package of half inch pins I use on the bulletin board.

I was caught in a hard rainstorm driving home which was a good thing for a change. It washed off the thick layer of dust and pollen on the car.

The pattern is here. 84 pages of it. 12 across and 7 down. Six years was way too optimistic. I’m not really ready to start it, but I’ll do at least a few stitches tonight just to say I did.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is the quilt. It's the last for a while, packed up all the leftover fabric into a box. Didn't have any place flat to lay it down that wasn't covered in cat hair. It's an eye grabber all right, nobody is going to miss seeing that green.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1134.jpg

I may do this design again, but with a little more color planning.

I got the tub of fabric out for the 16-patch quilt and started separating it. There are a few 1yd or + pieces, mostly half yards and FQs. All my darks are FQs or scraps. Most of my mid colors are half yards or FQs. Going to do some math tomorrow to figure out how many 16-patches it needs and how many pinwheels and then start cutting strips.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is the reason I kept it for the tin lol we all have a few tins like that but mil took it to the next level lol fill a drawer and not open for decades. when we went to the states I was going to stop by joanns for pattern sale 70 percent off. but forgot since dh didn't go to harbour freight..same mall. did look up simplicity ones at walmart but didn't get any. will have to keep a eye out for next sale.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today's agenda involves serging some DfG liners. I have a 90-day warranty on the work done on my serger, so want to give that a good test. Hope it doesn't have any problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - I like the quilt. It is definitely bright.

The pattern is started! Sort of. Started and unstarted. The 25 count is easy to work on. The pattern calls for two strands but that was really tight. Iíve been reading and watching a few (boring) videos on doing these big full coverage projects. Some people apparently use single strand floss on 25. I tried that. It covered well and was much easier to stitch, so I took out the bit I had started with two strands. It will also save a mile or two of floss. I was using a size 26 needle that most seemed to use and is my preferred size, but with the single strand Iím going to use 28s. I put all my needles together in a container. Now I just have to remember which container and where it is. Having worked out the method I can start it properly today. Iím glad Iíve found out the 25 count is a real option.

My piece of fabric is 27x36. I expected to have to cut it down but didnít remember how much. Turns out that is the size I need. Itís a generous border but if this ever gets finished I will definitely frame it. My parents had a frame shop and I worked there for years while I was in high school and college locally. I know whatís itís like to stretch needlework with narrow borders. On one this big I wonít stint the poor framer struggling with it. With the size and the straight lines of the shelves itís going to be a tough stretch job. Anyway I could only have taken off an inch or so and since the fabric is sent out with the edges serged it wasnít worth cutting that off for a minimal downsizing.

Here I am thinking about framing. Talk about counting your chickens before they are hatched!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I drink a lot of tea, but I don't think I have ever been to tea party. When I was younger, I went on a trip with my parents that offered a high tea at a fancy place as an optional extra. (This was in Canada.) My mom thought it seemed awful pricey for tea, so we did not go. Since I was the only one in the family that liked tea, I was not too surprised.

Well I found a husband who likes tea more than coffee. So I feel less like the odd one out.

I finished the big puzzle I was working on. I placed a big puzzle order last week - nine puzzles. They are all the 1000 piece puzzles so they should last awhile.

I also finished another felt bird.

I will post pictures later.

I have started a simple project sewing a flat lizard. It will be stuffed, but with only two pieces, front and back. I am using on of the pieces of striped vinyl. I noticed a quirk of the vinyl. The marking pen - which is supposed to rinse off with water - did not rinse off the best. It seemed to soak into the layers and stay there. I have never had that happen before. It is good to know for future reference.

My husband and I went through some stuff and tossed a bunch. There is still a lot to go through though. I have to carry stuff down three flights of stairs to throw it away. So getting rid of lots of stuff is a bit of a hassle.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my friend asked if I wanted to do high teas this year ..as girl time..we have made it to one lol mom life. Kathy if it was the westcoast and the empress hotel on van island ..yes it so expensive. my friend did just as a one time thing w her mom so pricey! more then anywhere else. most are not that pricey.

cleaning my mil stuff and upset ..makes me clean.. always clean when upset. cleaned out my knitting basket ...you know the wood frame ones w cloth basket that folds up. have had it for decades. full of cat hair ..old yarn labels mags and books all crochet. there are northern projects that you can send stuff to the northern territories to help kids etc. shipping costs so much that it is hard for them to get anything no dollar stores etc so keeping kids busy is a challenge plus providing for them. so they have a yarn club plus other things like that..books for library..lots of things to support. they are asking for patterns and yarn so will send a box up. have bought yarn for it. waiting to see if there is free shipping in october.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started drinking tea when I was about ten. We lived in England, what can I say? I introduced DH to it and now he drinks more than I do. It's definitely one of our comfort foods. Never been to a "high tea". It's my understanding that it is a more substantial meal, with sandwiches, meat pies, sausage rolls, etc. than what we normally think of as tea foods. Afternoon tea is when ladies gathered to gossip and eat pastries and delicate cakes and other finger foods. That is more my style, afternoon tea and a pastry. Only today I'm having a leftover cheese biscuit.

I'm ready to start cutting. https://quiltville.com/16pinwheelspf.html Rather than strips I am going to sew 4-patches so that I am able to vary the fabric a little more. Here's a sample of my half-yard fabric selection. Not sure about the green batik dots. It doesn't really go with the rest.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1135.jpg

M, mailing stuff sounds like a good way to get rid of things and help others at the same time. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds like a worthy charity, Martha.

I got one 2 yd strip of DfG liners sewed together but no t cut to size. That was just another item I had set up for teaching a class for the GR kids. That should be the last of it and once I cut the strip, it can go into the regular inventory that's already cut.

I can't decide if the serger is working right or not. It seems like an intermittent problem. I made a new bag for the bigger awning mat, using a 50 cent piece of fabric and 2 grommets from Friday's sale, along with a reused piece of webbing, a scrap of Cordura to strengthen the attachment points for grommets and webbing, two hood strings and a cord lock from stash. I did a lot of serving on the bag with no problem but then it suddenly didn't want to cut again. I cleaned it all out and tried a variety of fabrics, and suddenly it started working again. Frustrating.

I don't know if I should start with the DfG stuff or not. I don't want to mess up that stuff with all the money and work I've already put in.

I narrowed the legs on a pair of jeans 3 sizes smaller than what I supposed wear, which surprisingly fit me. I was going to make doll clothes from them but decided not to. Women's clothes sizing is ridiculous. I'm now wearing a size range of 5 sizes. Ugh. I also reattached the 3 belt loops that had gotten torn off. The jeans are otherwise like new so I'm happy I actually tried them on in spite of the size tag. Free clothes.

I also added a webbing loop to the canvas bag the smaller RV mat lives in. We use an awning wand in our truck to drag stuff we can't reach to the tailgate, and it's hard to reach the mat bags. The loop will be a big help.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my industrial sewing machine? It sure makes working on jeans and other heavy stuff a breeze.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the green dots look too modern to go with the other traditional patterns.

I just got the next JA flyer. Whatís on sale at the end of the month? Floss. Gah! Still, I got 30% off and there was only one color they were out of from my list of close to 100. Iím sure I would not do nearly as well in the middle of a big sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, your link leads to someone's 5th grade class.

I like the green but you're better with coordinating things than I am.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think that was it. I am not 100% sure though because it was 35 years. It was on the west coast. We took the ferry from Seattle to Canada.

I think may be too frugal for high tea.

I do like tea that is good quality. It still a good deal if you make it yourself Even if the box is two or three times what the cheaper tea costs the price per cup is still fairly low.

But I think high tea is about the experience rather than the tea and food. Otherwise I could just get a box of high end tea and couple pastries from a high quality bakery and have them at home.

The frugalness gets kind ingrained. I am at the point where I can afford to splurge on something once and a while. But then I start thinking "this does not seem like a good deal." And I usually wind up not getting it. Crafts and hobbies are an exception. If it is something that I will spend a lot of time on, then a splurge can be worth it. For example, $100 worth of craft supplies might give me 100 hours of craft time. So at about $1 an hour, it is a a bargain.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    CH, your link leads to someone's 5th grade class.
    I have no idea how that happened. The link looks good to me. https://quiltville.com/16pinwheelspf.html

I like the green but you're better with coordinating things than I am.
    I think the issue is that it is the only piece of batik in the quilt, and everything else is a traditional floral or reproduction pattern. I'll save it for another project. There are some other greens and a blue I'm putting in too.

Oooh, my package came. New toys!

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From what I remember from looking it up after a steampunk event, what is commonly called "high tea" today is actually considered "low tea" (or afternoon tea). The "high" or "low" description is actually based on the height of the table, not the rank of the person/people having the tea. Afternoon ("low") teas came about when one of the Queen Victoria's ladies in waiting ordered in some tea and finger food to tide her over between lunch (served around noon-ish) and dinner (which was usually served late in evening). The idea caught on and became a chance for upper class women to meet and chat. "High" tea was something that came later when tea prices came down enough for the lower classes to be able to buy. It pretty much became a sort of early dinner for the working class with more substantial food than the finger sandwiches and scones/desserts offered during an afternoon tea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nope, still the 5th graders and not a quilt in sight. Weird.