2019 Stash Management - Page 13
Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162363113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, the critter in question does sound a bit off in what she seemed to latch onto as needing to be changed. Seriously... changing "sugar" to "sweetheart" and griping about "lovey" out of personal preference? She should be more concerned about what's right for the character, not what's right for her as a critter/reader. I had a different experience. I was critiquing someone's story and offered some examples on things that I thought needed addressing. Next revision, I would find my examples added into the story, word for word. It really felt like I was rewriting parts of her story for her without doing the actual work.

I agree on not using writing fiction as an excuse for not doing research. Even if a writer is going to tweak something for story purposes, s/he needs to know that thing works before making changes. That's one of the reasons I love documentaries and taking classes on various things, so I can put it in my writing. Even if it doesn't get in the story, ~I~ know what something entails and it makes my writing better, even if I'm writing fiction.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spent most of the day yesterday at the kitchen house. Sharon and company used up all the baking mixes and frosting and other sweet supplies like marshmallows and chocolate chips. They turned out five cakes, a pan of brownies and two pans of Rice Krispie squares. I sat and watched and crocheted another scarf for the kids.

Neighbor M trimmed the back of my hair putting off a haircut for a few weeks, and she said she would like a scarf, but longer than Iím making for the schools. I started that last night after I got home. She wanted pink so Iím working on two - a solid one with a bumpy pattern and one in dc with narrow gray stripes. I tried the stripe with the nicer bumpy pattern and it looked awful so thatís when I started the one with dc. She had said she would like the gray stripes, so Iíll finish both and let her choose. Or take them both.

This morning I watched a YouTube video making a big basket with three strands of variegated yarn. It looked really nice. It needs an N hook that I donít have, so I ordered one from Amazon. That will use up yarn fast, and if it turns out well, thatís a potential Christmas present too.

I may do a little in the kitchen later, but I want to work on Mís scarves today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jeez, Ren, that's plagiarism! And just plain lazy.
    I wouldn't be happy about that either. Although I liked it as an editor when our contributors on the magazine didn't argue. It just made life easier.

I love research, too. When I was writing a lot I had a good network of experts I could tap, back when the internet was new and people were more trusting. I also bought a lot of books about all kinds of stuff and learned a lot about things like guns, exotic cars, blues, Ojibwe culture, Chicago, country music, late night talk shows, classic Harleys, etc. Loads of fun. I even grilled the crew out here at the time doing dirt work about heavy equipment, installing septic systems, etc. I also had a network of first readers, who gave me feedback. All this stuff is one reason I'm not sure I could get back into writing the kind of stuff I used to, because I no longer have those resources.

What always surprises me when I write are the factoids that come out of my memory that I had no idea I knew. Almost always, I find out later they are correct. That, and when my characters tell me something I didn't know, out of the blue. Freaky, but cool. Especially when it's a real bombshell.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Writers who know nothing can't write very believably, IMO. I picked up a novel by a multimillion selling author and could not get past the first couple pages because she wrote about her protagonist jumping out of his truck wearing a loaded tool belt and waltzing into a hardware store to do some shopping. There was so much wrong with that I knew I could not enjoy the rest of the book. I had to wonder if the author had ever seen a tool belt, much less had one on. Not to mention nobody is going to wear a bunch of tools into a hardware store. Ugh. Stuff like that ruins a lot of reading for me. I can only suspend disbelief so far.

The scarves sound pretty, D. I like pink and gray. I'm sure your neighbor will love either one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Neighbor picked up my mail and when she dropped it off she chose the scarf with gray. That’s the fast pattern so I can easily finish it tonight. The slower solid pink pattern can be shorter so that’s good too. Win-win. The striped scarf is still almost all pink with just two rows of gray every ten rows of pink. Me being lazy. Fewer ends to weave. I’ve hit the lazies all around and don’t really want to do anything. I’m not sure why. Maybe I’m just a little burned out after after all the stash work. I have to keep reminding myself that this is ok. I don’t have anything to prove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Speaking of writers who don't do research:. I started a story that took place in Japan written by a non-Japanese author. The author seemed to think the Yen was about the same as a US dollar. It is actually more like a penny. The prices for things were really off. I stopped reading after two pages.

I have done a little more on my mushroom embroidery. I have basted the fabric to a bit of felt. This lets me embroider it without a hoop. I also did it because the fabric was thin and I thought the thread on the back of the fabric would show through.

So far I am just using DMC floss. I have used a combination of solid and verigated. But the verigated effect is not very pronounced. Also with some of the verigated the color change is so long it looks all one color. The red outline is a verigated thread but the piece of thread I used was all one color. The dots show some color verigation but it is pretty subtle.

It may be more noticable on bigger pieces or satin stitch which uses up more yarn.

I am still debating whether I want to go for more verigated thread or just do solid colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190122_171218075_1548250181528.jpg

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, it's definitely annoying to read something that clearly shows the author didn't research or care enough to get things right. It's really bad when it's a contemporary/modern setting. The writer I was talking about was doing a crime/mystery novel (contemporary) and it read like her idea of doing research on police investigation procedures consisted of a Law & Order (show) marathon. That and the main character was supposed to be a secretary/administrative assistant and the writer was basing her 'research' on memory of having been a secretary at one point. Problem was, unless she was trying to set the story in something like the 1980's or 1990's, it was clear she hadn't worked in an office in ~years~. It's really annoying when someone gets your profession wrong or is outdated in what they're writing. That critique group ended years ago so I have no idea if the writer's improved her research skills. Her writing skills had improved during the years the group was active, which was nice to see, though, even if she did tend to plagiarize her critter's remarks.

Finished skein #9 on the wool afgan. Looks like I just need the partial skein left over from the first wool afgan I did. I'll still have one full skein left over when I finish this one. I'll probably use that one to make a lapgan for someone I know will appreciate it. I think I'll have the afgan done either tonight or tomorrow. Then on to the afgan for my Dad's aide. Fortunately, it won't be as cold as this past weekend was. Hopefully I will get this new afgan long enough to cover my legs before the next major cold snap.

dc, it's ok to recoup from major stash busting/rearrangement.

Kathy, the mushroom looks great. Are you going fill in the spaces between what you have so far?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Authors too lazy to do good research ruin good stories. Reading books with too many errors about small details gets to be distracting. Writing authentically about places you're not intimately familiar with is difficult. There are local customs and nuances you can't get from guide books or even short visits. The best help I found was to find people living in the area where my stories were set. I'm sure they saved me from many blunders. That's why good writers have good networks, and why you see long lists of thank you's in so many books, authors giving credit to those who, in essence, helped write the book. It has always amazed me, and made me grateful, how freely people give of their time and expertise to help even an unpublished newbie writer.

Still sitting here procrastinating about bonnets. So dumb. I need to just get on with it and then I can forget them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another reason I hesitate to get back into writing single title fiction. I haven't kept up with technology, and I know it would show. When I wrote my first book, there were no cell towers here, and we had just gotten dialup internet after a big grass roots drive to sign up 40 people willing to pre pay and then begging a provider to expand into our area. Updating our computer to go online cost over $400. IOW, the Stone Age. We still do not have broadband here, and there are still a lot of people on dialup in our area because it's that or expensive satellite. We were so thrilled it was pathetic when we found out we could get DSL, only because we are coincidentally right in line with the signal it uses, or so we were told, and within 3 miles.

Still not sewing bonnets...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree - getting the details wrong ruins books. I also agree with having a good network of people with different knowledge or skill sets from me. I love connecting people as well. I learned the need for a good network when looking for work, although I never ended up using that network for landing a new job.

One of the reasons why I started really getting into the Great Courses lectures in the past few months is partially for research purposes. I'm getting some ideas for my stories from different lecture topics, even if I don't incorporate them directly into the plot. I've gotten several 'what if' ideas already.

SD, could you please explain the term "single title" fiction? I probably can guess but wouldn't mind knowing what you mean by that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, you’re right that the variegated would show better over a larger or more solid area. It looks like you are making good progress.

I finished the neighbor’s scarf last night and worked a little on the other pink one for donation. It will be #30. The N hook I need for the basket will come tomorrow. The M hook is not prime so it will take a little longer to get here. I also have a used book coming. I had enough Amazon CC points to cover the whole order and then some. That’s nice, of course, but it would be better not to have spent enough to earn the points. Oh well. Water under the bridge.

My candidate for the Missing Research Hall of Fame is a movie. A particularly dumb sci fi movie I saw years and years ago and remember nothing about it except the grand finale. People were standing around right next to the edge where a huge chunk of the earth erupts out of the ground and goes spinning off into space as a second moon. The edge of the chasm was nice and neat - sort of like cutting out a biscuit from a sheet of dough - and everyone stood there in amazement totally unharmed. Right. Forget gawking up at the newly created moon. They should have been at least a little worried by the total collapse of geology and physics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ren, single title fiction is a genre aimed at the mass market (mainstream), not catagory titles such as serial romance novels.

I recently watched Air Force One, which I've seen many times, and picked up on a big gaffe I hadn't noticed before. Early in the movie, a reference was made about the president being a former fighter pilot. Later, when AF1 is about to crash, the prez takes over the controls while talking to experts on the ground who are directing him through piloting the plane for the dramatic in-air rescue. Part of the dialogue has Prez saying he has flown before, but never piloted a jet. Oops!

I will confess we like cheesy sci fi movies here, some of them anyway. Part of it is the fun of picking out the fallacies in them. I like movies with lots of shooting and stuff exploding and bad guys getting what's coming to them, even if the script writers take some dramatic license. There's a limit though, and too much nonsense kills a movie for me, even if it's a blockbuster.

Got the gowns and bonnets done and fastened together. So much for round one. I ripped up an adult gown with a beaded bodice. Not sure what I will do with that, but it's pretty, so I'm going to figure out something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the gown dismantled and this is the bodice from it. The rest of the gown is plain white. I'm going to remove the top portion of this bodice and use the bottom at the bottom of a gown front. It's more sparkly than it looks in the pic. I hope it turns out nice.
    2019 Stash Management-20190123_182647_1548290025413.jpg

I've concluded I can't do big runs of these gowns. Like with this bodice, many will take a lot of time. The exceptions will be plain gowns or those with minimal decoration. Those I could do in batches. I think it will work out okay if I can work on the handwork to preserve the beads and pearls in the evenings during TV time or at crafts. Then the actual sewing won't take much time. It would be harder to cut a pile of beaded stuff that all has to be dealt with at once before all the beads fall off.

It's a theory.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - thanks for the definition. I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure. As for the movie mistake, I"m thinking that while the prez might have been a fighter pilot, he may have flown fighter jets/planes but not the large jets the size of AF1.

Finished skein #9 and started on the last skein on the wool afgan. I'll probably have this afgan done by the weekend. I'll see the person I'm giving the two wool afgans to next month so I don't have to ship them out. Not that it would be a problem but it'll be nice to give them to her directly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today is really and truly kitchen day, at least until mid afternoon. I’m starting on it as soon as I post this.

The big crochet hook, an N, is out for delivery. When that comes I’m going to start the basket pattern I found. That will chew through a lot of the variegated. If I like at, and it’s not too hard to work the triple strand, I think I really will make some for Christmas presents. They could be bagged up and put in the attic for now. I am eager to get to the embroidery, but it would be great to work through a ton of yarn. That excessive stash is beginning to really nag at me and using up a bunch is beginning to feel like a higher priority. I’m considering making the rest of January and February a crochet marathon. I might also make a few double strand lapghans. They are really too thick and warm for here, but if I donate them I won’t be around for anyone to tell me so - lol. That would definitely clear out a bunch of yarn. Since I haven’t actually started the embroidery projects, it won’t leave a bunch of WIPs lying around.