2019 Stash Management - Page 134
Page 134 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3484124131132133134135136137144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Congrats on the job offer Martha. I got back to knitting finger-less gloves to use up small balls of yarn. I have some ideas on giving them away (convincing people the are sooooo useful.)
    lol say they are for texting

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone! I just hope it doesn't turn into one of those every day for a few hours all the time jobs. I rather work longer hours less days. but rebooted the printer so I can print all the paperwork I have to fill out and fax tonight. doesn't start until next week sometime so that is ok for me because after mils tea.

yes always new hobbies! crocheting has always stayed w me, maybe because portable. somethings I did a bit or just lack of space and time. like beading..like it but then you can't leave things out with little kids. and time w no one bugging you. still have it all but later ... finally got my period so better then being pregnant but so over it. so not much housework or cooking going on. just a bit. did clean mils jewelry box.. cig smoke and grease over the years. lots of wipes. sorted all the boxes of jewelry too. want to sell the gold ..not heirlooms to pay for ring appraisals and sizing. gold is up there now. bag of garbage bag of thrift store stuff. stuff to google like if there is a place for vintage bowling pins. not for money just so maybe someone will love them. just googled a box jeweline.. turns out for the vintage rhinestone jewelry. mil had a few sets from the 50s I think. not worth much but I like them. so does my friend. just need to clean the rest I found. watching hallmark movies I taped. mil and I both love them. latest aurora teagarden and in the key of love..that was good. the leads could really sing. now a mystery 101 one. ..they aren't so hot but you can always skip forward. she was always thrifty too. found out on the bottom a price 50cents on masking tape so must have been garage sale find. not a family heirloom lol

2019 Stash Management-beforeandafter.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good grief, Virginia needs us to collect acorns. Specific KINDS of acorns. I will need to learn to identify trees.
    I can identify pin oaks but would need to learn to distinguish the other kinds. Not much black walnut around me or of course I would be gathering them anyway.
    https://wtop.com/virginia/2019/09/be...-needs-acorns/

Ok I was wrong about pin oak, but recognize "sawtooth oak" as the trees I like to lie under when walking the dog. They have very weird acorn caps and the leaves stick in the dog fur like crazy. Virginia Tech Dendrology Fact Sheet
    Last edited by dlrcpa; 09-25-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That’s actually a great idea to have people collect acorns for planting. I wonder if other states do it.

Martha - I hope the job turns out well for you.

SD - have a great trip! If you have time, check in occasionally.

I didn’t go to town yesterday. I don’t know how much I can do, if anything, after the car stuff. I may try to get by JA. DMC is on sale. I have all the colors for the tree pic, but some of them require multiple skeins. One green uses 7. I definitely don’t have that kind of backup. DMC is good about color consistency, but with that much of a color, I would rather get it at once and pack it all in the project bag.

I watched a YouTube tube where someone recommended Sulky 12 weight thread for embroidery. I didn’t know it existed. I might get a spool of it to try someday.

I’m going to take the cactus with me tomorrow to work on. Everything left is fill so I can do it without a pattern.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Good grief, Virginia needs us to collect acorns. Specific KINDS of acorns. I will need to learn to identify trees.
    I can identify pin oaks but would need to learn to distinguish the other kinds. Not much black walnut around me or of course I would be gathering them anyway.
    https://wtop.com/virginia/2019/09/be...-needs-acorns/
    There are oak trees all along my back property line and throughout the neighborhood. White oak, I think, I'd need to check. Huge, mature, healthy.... nuts all over the ground. Neighbor has a red oak. If I could separate the acorns from that I could send those too.

Too bad they don't need maple spinners. I have to use a shovel to clean the driveway in the spring.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should probably look at what kind of oak trees are in my complex. We have a lot of acorns on the ground.

Got some done on the wool afgan. I'm about halfway through skein #7. Fortunately, it's comfortable enough to be able to work on it and not get overly hot now that it covers my legs. But it's long and heavy enough to start be slipping off my lap. I think a bit more length will make that less of a hassle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last night I finished page 6 of the toucan. Now I just have the three pages across the bottom, but they don’t have much on them. I hope to finish it in a few days.

My pattern with the ladies has shipped. Also includes some gridded 16 count that I can’t get at 123 Stitch. I got a refund, but I can’t figure out for what. Maybe some of the shipping. It will be here next week but I don’t need any of it for quite some time. It’s stash.

I’m off in about an hour to head to town for the car appointment. Ho hum. I have a long list of errands for afterwards. I’ll see what I’m up to, if anything. Well, getting the shelf and green patterns copied is a must do. After that, I’ll have to see how it goes.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad you guys are getting work done. Haven't touched the quilt all week. Have to get ready for an event this weekend and I need to go out today for errands.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am kind of interested in the sulky thread now for embroidery. It says it is equal to two threads of floss. I think that the DMC pearl cotton 8 I am using is about 3 strands of floss. It seems fairly comparable in price. The balls of pearl cotton are 95 yards. Sulky offers 50 yard spools (more per yard that the pearl cotton) and 330 yard spools (less per yard than the DMC).

The blendables (variegated colors) look interesting. There is more variety than with the DMC variegated. And it looks like there are true multicolors. As opposed to the DMC which is just one color with pale, medium and dark shades. I am also wondering how long the color repeats are. DMC has long color repeats. So if I am just doing a small patch, it is all the same color.

I think I have one of the Sulky blendables threads that is regular (sewing machine thickness). I can check what the color repeat looks like on that.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On the video I was watching the woman using it for cross stitch said to her it seemed sort of between 1 and 2 strands. I want to try it for blackwork. I looked at JA today but they did not have it. Next time I order from 123 Stitch I’ll get a spool there.

You might want to look at DMC Color Variations. The colors change very frequently. I’ve used it and like it. I’m using some in the large blackwork project tucked away in the WIPs and it working up quite nicely.

https://www.123stitch.com/DMC_Color_...ons_Floss.html

I had a big day. Started with the car. General maintenance, oil change, tire rotation, inspection done for two years.

Then I treated myself to lunch out - Cane’s chicken. I think it’s overpriced but is soooo good. It was also in the middle of lunch rush - around 12:45 - and they are always fast. It was the beginning of an indulgent afternoon. I think I earned it sitting in the Toyota service waiting room for two hours. While there I got some done on the cactus cross stitch, but eventually got out the phone and that was the end of productivity.

After that I went to Office Depot to get the patterns enlarged. I really dislike the two workers they have in the print shop there. Every time I have been there for anything these two clucks are on duty. They move at funeral march pace, are absolutely humorless, take their sweet time getting around to acknowledging your presence, and always act like they cannot imagine a more galling interruption than having an actual customer. On the other hand, the work does get done eventually and the place is only a few blocks from Toyota and Canes. I had my walker so I could at least sit down while they snailed their way through the order. The enlargements are perfect so it was worth it.

Then Joann. They have just gotten some of the mobility carts so I could take my time and shop today. Shopping led to buying.

Another pile of floss, the purpose of the trip. The sale in the flyer was one of those ridiculous “price too low to show” ads. It wasn’t even posted on the floss turned out to be .40 instead of .56.

Picked up four more floss boxes, 40% off like the plastic almost always is.

I am very tired of the white/small bland print curtain on the bookcase. I decided I wanted a change, so I bought 2 yards of a stone print, 40% off. Of course I always like best the most expensive cotton in the store. But with the discount it came to about $15. Since it’s where I see it all the time, I’ll settle for that.

Two strings of beads, 60% off, and I resolutely only looked at the cheapest. Small disks and antiqued white sea turtles. Absolutely did not need.

Finally, the big splurge. I bought a large dark blue basket for the shelf project when I’m not working on it. It should have a lid, but I can put some fabric or felt over the top to help keep out the dust.

I do not approve of the newfangled summer. It was 95 in Shreveport, 92 here. It’s time for a change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to mention former co-worker let me know her client (decorator) is cleaning out LOADS of decor fabrics. She was emailing me pics from her phone. I declined since 1) decorator fabric is really too heavy for clothing or quilting 2) client lives in DC and no way would I drive there to get it 3) don't really need more fabric!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The haul, minus boring bobbin boxes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-09cfea73-2c11-406a-aef7-643a9570d161.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-83b24e73-d2b6-4a5d-9ede-b56bd7a80b6c.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have seen a lot of nice embroidery floss out there. I dislike separating the floss though. I prefer a solid color.

I am pretty sure that 12 wt sewing thread is the same size as size 12 pearl cotton. This did not occur to me last night, but I am pretty sure the 12 in size 12 pearl cotton means 12 wt. Pearl cotton 12 seems closer to one strand of floss to me. I use size 8 which seems close to 3 strands of floss to me. I will try posting a picture later.

Pearl cotton is slightly shiny. It is not as shiny as metallic thread. It is more like the shine you get off some silk thread or fabric.

Size 40 crochet thread is roughly the same size as size 12 pearl cotton. It is hard to find. The only brand I have seen with colors other than white/off white is the Lizbeth brand. (I have seen at at the handy hands tatting online store.) I have never bought any myself, but it is supposed to be very high quality.

Compared to pearl cotton, the crochet thread is generally cheaper per yard, but the balls are larger so they cost more than a ball of pearl cotton. I decided that since it would take me a long time to use up even the smaller balls of pearl cotton, I would not go for the larger crochet thread balls.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For all those in the Northwest US, please be careful because it looks like a lot of potential snow is heading your way.

Got some more work done on the wool afgan last night. It's coming along slowly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks everyone. I hope so! at least next week after mil's tea. think october will be family month focus on us.. have been running errands for the tea, cleaning up stuff from mils place...was at camp so dh bought home the rest of the stuff to deal with. like things he thought weren't expired but are..by min 8 months. everything smells like old perfume or cooking oil that I can't get rid of..w sept allergies too so popping pills. sunny now after days of rain etc so showing up all the fingerprints etc. teens are as bad a 2yr olds. dh just wants all the family photos of him as a teen gone..all 70s polyester fashions for guys lol all the family portraits..said yes after the tea. kids give him a hard time. picked up all the mums too yesterday.

except for putting away craft stuff haven't done much. trying to figure out mils rhinestones just for fun. got books from library. missing a fabric book don't know if it is back at library or in the house somewhere...shouldn't be. but overdue.

have one of those pillows w arms for sitting up in bed but always fine them not high enough ..need more support in my recliner since back is squished. but it is too poofy. realized that I can just take out some of the stuffing. there is a zipper at the bottom but the pull is gone and it is stuck so will get dh to pull it back on the weekend.