2019 Stash Management - Page 135
Page 135 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3585125132133134135136137138145185 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mom saved 1970s kids clothes. She gave some to my son when he was around five. Horrible polyester stuff. After she left my son gave me the sad eye look and said "mommy, do I have to wear this?". I told him no.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bet they would have made good Halloween costumes though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dcomp - Love the stone material. Good choice. We got a Canes last year real close and it is addicting.
    That chicken is so good and I love the lemonade.

I hope you will post a picture of the toucan when done. I loved all the colors on that project.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will definitely post a picture. I love how the toucan has turned out. I’m almost there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

haha yes dh was still wearing some of the shirts when I met him late 89 ... he said they were comfortable lol they ran instead of holes ..at least he only wore them on weekends and I fixed his warerobe. have to explain to my kids poly back then wasn't the same as now. he just found a bunch of shirts in his closet after saying he didn't have enough..just look more then 6inches down the rod... said that is because I used to rotate them long sleeve short sleeve for the season but now I don't. because he wears mostly short sleeve. he made a comment..I said because you don't have any ugly shirts now lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My brother was talking about his friend retiring (around brother's age 58) and friend's hobbies basically kayaking and hiking. I said yes, easier to retire when your hobbies are not expensive, such as mine... he remarked "you mean like sewing rags together?" - which I thought was hilarious. I replied "yes, because there is an endless supply..." He knows I sewed the 2 table runners at dad's from cut-up old clothing. So sort of a reference to quilting. We were also talking about all the old sewing machines my parents had acquired, apparently there are a lot more than I realized. My task this fall/winter will be to inventory, figure out condition and if they can be sold to any type of collector. That will be interesting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got past the last clump of real confetti stitching last night and should be able to finish the toucan today. If so I’ll get a pic up Monday or Tuesday. Of all the cross stitches I’ve done in a long life, this is definitely one of my favorites.

I ordered some of the Sulkey thread to try. 18 count is awkward. Two strands is almost too much, one is not enough, so I rarely use it. I’m hoping this will be just right. If so, I’ll start using the 18 count fabric stash, to my credit, a small one. Also if it works, I will probably do the Christmas carols pattern on it. I had bought some extra skeins of Threadworx for part of it, but I can use that for something else. I would like for that one to be a bit smaller.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol I have a hidden stash of sewing machines I haven't done anything with...even the treadle machine dh got me as requested. perfect condition. covered w things in the dining room at the moment. have a 100yr old carry machine dh got free on craigslist..was nailed closed. need restoring of course. plus a couple singers. one day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went to the quilting event on Saturday at the living history farm. I ended up sitting with the women who were demonstrating bobbin lacing. I worked on my crochet WIP that I leave in the car for stuff like this. I ordered three more skeins of the yarn (or something similar) to finish this lapgan off. I shouldn't need more. For a moment, I thought the yarn was discontinued but I found something close enough to make it work.

Once I'm done with this one, I'll go through my stash and see if I can find some more skeins of the Caron simply soft yarn in my stash. I should have enough of the light blue to make another lapgan. If not, I'll make the 'rag-bag' style. This way I can go through my stash.

Got some work done on both the vamp and brown wool afgans yesterday. I'm almost done with skein #7 and will likely finish it in the next couple of days. I will probably not need two skeins but I'll see once I get closer. If I do have one skein left over, I'll probably still use it, just so it doesn't go in the stash. If I do have two left over, I'll probably end up getting one or two more skeins and just make another wool lapgan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    My brother was talking about his friend retiring (around brother's age 58) and friend's hobbies basically kayaking and hiking. I said yes, easier to retire when your hobbies are not expensive, such as mine... he remarked "you mean like sewing rags together?" - which I thought was hilarious. I replied "yes, because there is an endless supply..." He knows I sewed the 2 table runners at dad's from cut-up old clothing. So sort of a reference to quilting. We were also talking about all the old sewing machines my parents had acquired, apparently there are a lot more than I realized. My task this fall/winter will be to inventory, figure out condition and if they can be sold to any type of collector. That will be interesting.
    This is one of the big reasons I like being frugal.

So many people have expensive hobbies. I read about people who delay retirement - or don't retire at all - rather than give up the things they enjoy. I have read of people who "un-retire" (go back to work) so they can keep their expensive hobbies and leisure activities.

It is such a joy to be able to have things I like that don't cost a lot of money. I think I could be happy and and busy with $100 worth of craft supplies for the year. And if money got really tight, I could get buy for less with doing things with recycled fabric. It gives me a kind of emotional security for the future. I know that when I retire, I will be able to still do the things I love. I know that if things happen to change my financial situation for the worse, I could still do my hobbies.

It is also nice not to have to choose between my hobbies and retiring early or worse yet, between my hobbies and retiring at all.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The toucan is finished! I also finished the sun on the cactus. I’ll get a border on that tonight and it will be finished too.

Other than that, the goal today is to put away thread I’m finished with, get thread set up for the green trees, and generally work on squaring away the craft stuff. All the projects for the state fair will be finished next weekend, so I’m not putting away all that stuff until after that. I never know when I’ll need to pull out more to support the cause. It’s from all over the stash and will come back with it all jumbled together. It’s going to be a job to get it all put back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope people in the Northwest/Rockies are ok. Weather reports are saying that Montana got about 4 feet of snow in places.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cant wait to see pic of finished toucan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD,

My husband came up with a modified chex mix that might work for you.

Use any type of unflavored chex cereal - such as wheat, corn or rice. You can also use a combination of them. You can also add some bite sized shredded wheat. Put some it in a baking pan with an edge. Squirt on some spray oil. Sprinkle some seasoning mix on it. If you are doing a big batch, put another layer of chex, then add more spray oil and seasoning mix. We also added nuts, but you don't have to.

Bake according to normal chex mix directions: 1 hour at 250 degrees. Stir every 15 minutes.

I was not sure if there was enough oil to make the seasoning stick, but it worked fairly well. We have tried putting seasoning salt over dry popcorn (no butter added) and most of it just falls to the bottom of the bowl.

I like how this turned out. I feel there is lots of potential to make snack mix with different flavors.

I like the flavored chex - cinnamon, vanilla, honey, chocolate - for snacking just the way they are. We like to mix together a bunch of the different flavors and add some nuts and (non dairy) chocolate chips to the mix.

I suppose this is not as frugal as snacks made from scratch with flour. But it adds variety if your diet restrictions cut out an annoying large amount of existing snack foods. (Not being able to have dairy cuts out a ridiculous number of snack foods.) We have found some cool high end snacks I can eat - but they are pricey.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

earlybird - I’ll try to get a pic today and I’ll post it tonight or tomorrow.

I didn’t accomplish a lot yesterday. Where does the time go? This isn’t going to be a craft week. My freezer is almost bare - literally - so it’s time to restock it. That means groceries and cooking. I have an order to pick up this afternoon. There wasn’t much I needed in the ad that ends today, but I got some roasts, chicken and eggs. My list of household stuff I need was growing so I’m getting all that. I’ll do another order to pick up Thursday or Friday. That will give me time to decide what to cook and see what all I need. Maybe the sales will be more on target this week.

I’ll continue prep for the trees tonight. I need to finish getting the thread together. I have a yard of 16 count medium gray I got really cheaply on eBay a few years ago. I’ll use that for the trees. I need to get that cut and put a grid on it. I also want to make the new bookcase curtain. I’m not going to drag out the sewing machine for that. I’ll just use a quick running stitch around it.