2019 Stash Management - Page 136
Page 136 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3686126133134135136137138139146186 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished skein #7 and started skein #8 on the wool afgan. I'll probably do the vamp afgan tonight since it's likely to be warm and humid. Tomorrow's supposed to be the last ~90* day for a bit. The forecast says rain will likely come in tomorrow night. Sounds like we're going to get a soaking rain finally and then more seasonable weather. So the wool afgan will be good once the temps drop again. Fortunately, I have the yak wool afgan for when I'm done with this wool one. That one also covers my legs so I'll still have warmth in the cooler weather.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here’s the toucan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-4074650e-1334-44e9-a5c4-71c7b7b9b6c8.jpg  

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That came out really pretty. Good work!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The toucan turned out really good.

I was thinking a little on polyester fabric. The 70's polyester was horrible. There is polyester fabric out now that is so much better. I have some polyester clothing that is pretty nice.

For sewing, I tend to prefer cotton as it is easier to work with. Polyester is often a bit slippery.

The government shutdown is averted - at least till November 21. Our office reorganization, which was supposed to start October 1, has been delayed. The official word is that we do not know when it will happen.

So right now, enjoying a slower time at work.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was just looking at some of the yarn ads that have been popping up since I purchased some online. One is for a washable wool that's half wool, half acrylic/nylon blend. They want $9.99 for a 3.5oz skein. Grrrr! The price for acrylic yarn has been getting worse as time goes one but seriously. Granted, I'm more willing to pay a premium for hand-dyed, limited batch skeins from small vendors, but most of those are nearly all wool of some sort (sheep, alpaca, etc.) and I get more for my money in a lot of ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finally got the fabric and thread ready for the trees and had to start it. I got a few stitches in last night. The toucan was the first big project I used the needle holders with, and really liked them. It looks like the thread would all tangle but it doesn’t. I only marked the grid high enough for the first row of pages across the bottom. On the pre-gridded fabric the line is on top of the tenth row so the x actually covers it. I saw on YouTube though someone was doing it in pencil between the rows. I want to be sure that doesn’t show, but it looks like it will be ok.

Today was going to be a cooking day, but I’m not feeling great so it can wait a day or two. The new grocery ad didn’t have anything I was really interested in so I won’t be going back to the store. This takes some of the time crunch away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-eace9481-dedb-4b6c-9049-fe3c1275c5f5.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bravo on the toucan. I think it is one of the prettiest cross stitch projects I have ever seen.
    Love the colors and your stitching is beautiful. Makes me want to get back to cross stitch.

Good luck on your next project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks all. EB - I really love the toucan too. In person, it’s almost dazzling.

I’ve decided I don’t like the cactus. It turned out more bland than I imagined it to be. I think it’s just too much white background. I went with white because of the yellow sun to be sure it would show up well. I’ll finish the border though and put it on the bulletin board occasionally. Maybe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I remember about 10 or 15 years when I was in some online groups for knitting and crochet. So many people had this perception that acrylic yarn was only for poor people who could not afford good yarn. Rude comments were made to people who used acrylic yarn. I wonder if the perception of it has changed now that the prices are going up. Or maybe the perception changed first so yarn companies think they can get more money for them.

Where online do you usually buy your yarn?

I have also noticed that targeted adds tend to show adds for more expensive brands - even if I was previous browsing discount places or cheaper brands. So it might not be a typical price.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy - I buy my acrylic yarns from either Michaels or Joanns, usually when I don't have enough to finish a project despite buying everything they have out on the floor and don't want to be bothered to go back each week to see if they restocked. This way, I know exactly what brand and color I'm looking for. When I'm deciding on what I want to use for a project, I go to the stores so I can feel the yarn and see the colors, especially if I'm using 2 or more colors. I want to be sure the colors work together. I do the same thing with the small vendors from the annual sheep and yarn festival, mostly because they only bring a small batch of each yarn to show as they have limited amount of space in their vehicles. Most people who go to the festival are likely to be working on small projects so the limited number of skeins are not much of a problem.

I've never heard the snipes about acrylic yarn being for poor people. But then the only online crocheting/knitting group I deal with is here so I'm lucky that way. I used to go to a knitting group and still never heard any bad mouthing about acrylic yarns there either. Then again, the last few years, I've made things for friends using acrylic and that's so it's easier for them to clean the afgans and not worry about them getting dirty. I don't hear about the ones I've donated but I usually use acrylic yarn for the same reason. The ones I made for my Mom's church group usually went to people dealing with health issues and one less thing to worry about was always appreciated. I used the Simply Soft acrylic yarn for a lot of those so the recipients got both easy care and nice to the touch things.

One thing about the yarn I bought this last sheep/yarn festival is the vendor mentioned that she would do her best to match the color of the yarn I was going to purchase online to what I bought direct at the festival. (Provided I sent her a picture of what I was using as reference.) That's something I wouldn't have gotten from a big brand company. So I'm willing to spend the extra money on her yarn rather than the off the shelf stuff from the stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I worked more on the green trees last night. I am really glad I finally decided to get this pattern. I love green and this pattern uses the vivid bright greens. It was fun stitching with them, though I will probably be singing a different tune after pages and pages of pattern, all green. The pencil lines work great and don’t show at all. There is one small spot at the end of the path with very light colors. I may use a pen with the ink that disappears in air for that, but that is a long long way away. I did make a couple of mistakes, but I carried on and it made no difference at all. In short, right now, I love this project. I will probably stay with it until I finish the first page. That’s cheating a bit though. Since I’m doing the bottom row of pages, they aren’t quite full size.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Blah. I'm glad I've got the wool afgan to work on this evening. I worked on the vamp afgan last night since it was still hot and muggy. It's a 30* temp difference between yesterday (~92*) and today (59*). It's also cloudy with occasional rain (which we needed). So it's the chilly damp that sorta seeps into you. Thankfully, I have warm blankets for tonight. Just have to make sure the thermostat is set to heat as the temps have finally realized is Fall.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is my only craft group as well. A big factor is that people here do not care if you use expensive materials or cheap materials or something in between. I have joined some craft groups on reddit, but I have not posted anything to them so I am not sure if that counts. I did crazy quilting for a bit and ran into people that were all into using top quality (i.e. really expensive) fabric for the crazy quilts. With snobby remarks to people who used less expensive fabric.

I am not sure if they represent the majority of crafters. It may be that people with different attitudes - like myself - left because they did not feel welcome. Red Heart yarn is still in business, so there must be.

I have no problem with people who choose to use only wool yarn or choose to use only high end fabric. As long as they are not actively putting down people for making other choices.

Upcycling – making things out of used material - has become somewhat trendy. I see this most in the sewing area. There is also an old practice that has been rediscovered – unraveling. A sweater (usually from a thrift store) is unraveled into yarn that can be used for other projects. This only works if the sweater is knitted in the round with no side seems. Upcycling is money saving. But it is also good for the environment. So people tend to look down on it less. I guess some people see saving the environment as a virtue, but do not see being frugal as a virtue.

There is a perception by some people that associate being frugal with being poor. There are lots of people who are poor and frugal, but there are frugal people from all income levels. So if you are middle class and frugal, people will think you are poor and look down on you for it. Not that it is okay to put people down for being poor either.

On buying yarn:
    Ideally touching the yarn and seeing it in person before buying is best. But because of my circumstance, I wind up ordering yarn a lot through the mail. I often take a gamble, ordering something not knowing how it will feel. On the plus hand, I have gotten a chance to try yarns I do not see at the local JoAnnns.

Knitting warehouse is good for low price/mid price yarns. Smileys yarn offer yarn at really deep discounts. There is a $50 minimum. It has yarn from all price ranges, though the expensive yarns are very affordable with the deep discount. I suspect some are discontinued yarn or discontinued colors. Ebay has some nice yarns I have gotten directly from China and sometimes other counties. China has yarn they call “milk yarn.” I am not sure exactly what it is but it is very soft and smooth yarn. Another gamble is a place online called Ice Yarn. The yarn is shipped directly from Turkey. The regular prices are pretty good and they have some yarns on really deep discount. Expect to pay a lot for shipping. As much or more as your yarn order. I think even with shipping the prices are not that bad. I bought two packages of yarn from them and was happy with the quality. You can’t buy individual balls, you have to buy in packages (3-10 balls depending on the yarn). These yarns are all Ice brand so you won’t be familiar with any of them.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have bought yarn from Deramores in the UK. they have a Deramores US page online. When I bought it free shipping started at a $50 order, but I see it’s now up to 75. Otherwise, I think the shipping fees are very reasonable, considering how bulky and heavy yarn orders can be. They also have frequent sales. I’ve made lapghans from Lucy’s patterns, blog Attic24. She uses mostly Stylecraft DK weight - sort of like sport weight - acrylic and I bought some of that, as well as other brands to try. I really like it and someday I really will make that lapghan. They have a wide range of brands, weights, and fibers. I’ve ordered two or three times in the past. It’s a good company.

I am so in love with the green trees pattern! So far it’s been an easy one. I have just under half of the first page done. There are 20 pages so it’s definitely a long haul project, but worth it. I don’t want to do anything right now except stitch green. Unfortunately life doesn’t work that way. It could if I just walled off the kitchen but I have a tendency to get hungry. Lol.