2019 Stash Management - Page 138
Page 138 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141 LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2112
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - hope things even out and you can feel better soon.

SD = Glad to hear you had a good time. I also forgot you were traveling and thought you were stuck in the snow storms from last weekend.

Saturday turned out to be really cool, especially after the hot weather earlier in the week. It barely hit 60* during the day.

About 2/3's done with skein #8. I'll probably have it done by the end of the week. I think two more skeins will do it. Which means I'll have two extra skeins of the wool yarn. I may buy one more skein and make a lapgan out of those. I'll wait until I finish the afgan before I do that. This will definitely be afgan weather. Today will likely be one of the last warms days for a few weeks, according to the forecast. I do have my w-b afgan that I started last year I can work on which will take a while to finish, due to the fingering weight yarn. Although I do have a lapgan and acrylic afgan I can work on if I get bored/frustrated with the w-b WIP.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

R - I would be frustrated with a fingering weight afghan after the first couple of rows and give up. I just don’t have any patience with slow crochet. Even the dk weight yarn I have for one will be a challenge that I may not measure up to.

Finally! A fall day! Hurrah!

I learned a new technique for stitching dark colors to get better coverage. It’s called railroading. Why am I just learning about this? Using two strands you come up with the needle, then when you go back down you put the needle between the two strands. It keeps them flat. It’s not a fast way to do it, but it works. Astonishing.

I finished the top and sides of the curtain last night. I’ll get that finished today. My other goal is to get a lot of clutter put away from the work table and start working on getting all the project bits sorted. After that I want to start working the thread for the shelf pattern. I’m changing how I’m going to do that. 238 colors is just too much to deal with at once. I’m starting with the winter section across the bottom so I’m just going to put colors for that on the organizers. I’ll go through the first couple of pages and pull out colors used on those.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Chilly here this morning but sunny and will warm up a bit. Have a few small projects to get off my sewing table before I can get back to the quilt, so those will be a priority.

I find I can work in small bursts. Got some dishes done after breakfast. Now I'm going to sit a while, maybe water the plants we brought in last night. Tomorrow is trash day so later I'm going to gather it up from all the little cans in each room.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc - the fingering weight yarn can be frustrating in the long run but that's why I have other WIP to work on when that happens. I had someone tell me it was insane to do a fingering weight scarf, let alone a full sized afgan. I also crochet while watching DVD's. Since I use single stitch in a simple pattern, I don't have to pay as much attention to what I'm working on. Sometimes, the mindlessness of it is a good thing - a sort of meditation. Although I need to do it when I'm not listening to something else if I really want a true meditation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    Kathy - I buy my acrylic yarns from either Michaels or Joanns, usually when I don't have enough to finish a project despite buying everything they have out on the floor and don't want to be bothered to go back each week to see if they restocked. This way, I know exactly what brand and color I'm looking for. When I'm deciding on what I want to use for a project, I go to the stores so I can feel the yarn and see the colors, especially if I'm using 2 or more colors. I want to be sure the colors work together. I do the same thing with the small vendors from the annual sheep and yarn festival, mostly because they only bring a small batch of each yarn to show as they have limited amount of space in their vehicles. Most people who go to the festival are likely to be working on small projects so the limited number of skeins are not much of a problem.

I've never heard the snipes about acrylic yarn being for poor people. But then the only online crocheting/knitting group I deal with is here so I'm lucky that way. I used to go to a knitting group and still never heard any bad mouthing about acrylic yarns there either. Then again, the last few years, I've made things for friends using acrylic and that's so it's easier for them to clean the afgans and not worry about them getting dirty. I don't hear about the ones I've donated but I usually use acrylic yarn for the same reason. The ones I made for my Mom's church group usually went to people dealing with health issues and one less thing to worry about was always appreciated. I used the Simply Soft acrylic yarn for a lot of those so the recipients got both easy care and nice to the touch things.

One thing about the yarn I bought this last sheep/yarn festival is the vendor mentioned that she would do her best to match the color of the yarn I was going to purchase online to what I bought direct at the festival. (Provided I sent her a picture of what I was using as reference.) That's something I wouldn't have gotten from a big brand company. So I'm willing to spend the extra money on her yarn rather than the off the shelf stuff from the stores.
    Maybe in the past when there was a lot of nasty acrylic yarn... when my mil moved and she gave me old stuff there was some that was funky! like pentex that was like not even twisted like yarn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

time has flown the last week..probably in allergy fog lol hope everyone is feeling good. they have been tearing up the street in front of the house replacing pipes..cats were happy when it was in front of house at the corner doing same thing they are freaking out. fall has hit which is nice. raining today. just busy w meeting training not much but enough. decluttering , run across the border for goodies scout stuff.

craft worthy is true!! why waste effort on people that don't appreciate it. I am sending a baby blanket that was out of yarn I ordered that I don't really like worked up. still done nice but not wow for me. but then it is going to someone who only knows a bunch of lies about us and is young. it will be a dog blanket I am sure lol that is fine. sent a box of crocheted hats, neckers etc that I had made that are nice but not wow to me. and useful for them. not out of yarn that was super special for me. doesn't mean I didn't put the time and effort into making them and they aren't butt ugly.

did go to hobby lobby because the colour mix I am making a lap blanket isn't enough but disc. so needed yarn bee brand to match. then then michaels for some half price fun fur yarn loops and threads half price..so soft! updating a hat/scarf combo I made years ago that doesn't get used.

since free shipping on tues this month I am packing up new craft stuff that I haven't used to ship up north for different projects. declutter and win for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

went to craft show w great stuff so xmas etc gifts. 2019 Stash Management-gift.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool again this morning and looking at the same sunny day. Hoping to get out to the garden for a few minutes, and get the trash out to the street before the truck comes. Haven't quite finished a paper craft project, but need to get it off the sewing table today. Otherwise a lot of the same old stuff to clean up around the house.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH, I sounds like rough situation. I hope you get through it okay.

This past weekend was adventures in dying silk thread. It did not go as expected. Color keeps bleeding out when I hand wash them. Well really soaking them with dish soap or Woolite so they won't be a tangled mess. This happened multiple times and the color is not finished rinsing out. I want to try a few more rinses to see if it finally stops. I originally used citric acid to set the color. I used vinegar in one of the later soakings. The thread is supposed to be sold specifically for dying.

I am hoping I can salvage the thread. The colors are much lighter than what I started with, but they are still decent colors.

I have started another experiment I am more hopeful about. I have put three strands thinner of variegated thread together. Each mini bundle is three strands of the same thread. But putting three strands together gives an interesting color variation since the colors are not lining up together. For example, one strand might be at a medium shade and one strand might be at a light shade. I have not tried stitching with them yet. I may also try adding different threads together, for example, one pink and one purple.

These were pretty easy to do up. I wrapped the thread around two chairs that were about 8 feet apart. One end was tied to a chair back to keep it in place. I cut the three threads near the start and wound the thread on a little bobbin. It was only a few minutes to do each one. I have some using size 80 pearl cotton, two using size 35 sewing thread and one using size 40 sewing thread.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - I often work with variegated thread that way. I have used a variegated with a solid but also just the variegated thread. I use two strands but sometimes cut them so the color changes don’t line up. It works well.

I never got around to finishing the curtain yesterday. In the process of clearing off the work table, I loaded up the temporary folding table that I want to use to measure the curtain length. Clearly the craft decluttering is still a work in progress.

Adventures with the Shelf. I knew that regrouping on the thread management for the shelf was going to be a big, tedious, and time consuming job. I was right, but it’s finally almost done. I was absolutely insane to get the max color version of this chart. It was already available so at least one other person was just as crazy. I said I would just pull the threads used on the first page instead of having all of them to deal with. So how many were on the first page? Just 147. Unless I missed some symbols. Holy moly! I have just doubled the estimate of the time needed to finish this. What was I thinking? At this point I have no serious expectation of getting this finished. Ever. This is the sort of project to start when you’re 35, not a demented 71. But I’ll give it a shot.

Meanwhile - some of the symbols on the pattern aren’t clear and are hard to distinguish. Just the way it is? But when I got the three old ladies pattern it was perfectly clear. Obviously there was something amiss with the ink paper combo on this. It’s like the ink fuzzed a bit, came out blurry. It’s a little better on the enlarged copy. At least the fuzzy symbols are bigger. But I got frustrated with it yesterday and contacted the company. They are sending another copy. I was glad I had the other pattern to compare. It doesn’t look so much like I’m angling for a free copy - lol. Not that I asked for one. Just asked if that was normal for that pattern, though that made no sense. It’s a good, very reputable company. I knew they would send out another. Now. What do I do with the expensive enlarged copy I made? All 84 pages of it? It doubled the cost of the pattern. At this point I’ll probably use it and just use the new copy for a reference for doubtful symbols. Badly printed pattern. Buying second piece of fabric to restart it to work from the bottom. Hours setting up thread. More hours changing the thread setup. This is not exactly off to a rip roaring start.

I got a little done on the trees last night but not much. I got a late start on it. Dang shelf thread to blame.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I hope you get your dye figured out. I did a little of that decades ago and it was more involved than I wanted to deal with.

DC, hang in there, you'll get back into the groove with your stitching. It's a beautiful pattern.

I did a little of everything today. Cut strips into squares, sewed squares into rectangles, cut and sewed triangles, cut more strips and sewed them together, sewed rectangles into blocks, started sewing triangles into blocks. Tomorrow if the light is good I will lay them out so you can see how it looks so far.

M, good finds!

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last Friday's fabric finds. The white fabric with the basket is a stack of 8" "picture book" prints. Quite a variety, flowers, animals, food. With some blue fabric it will make a nice donation quilt. The purple mottled print is an odd shaped scrap, but I will get some squares out of it. The small floral is a 1/8 yd piece, and the lg floral was half a yard. All freebies.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1211.jpg

And the brown patches I worked on today.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1212.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost done with skein #8 on the wool afgan. I think I can finish it and start skein #9 tonight. Unfortunately, I won't be able to finish the afgan by Sunday which is the next time I will see the friend I'm making it for. Oh well. Good thing is, I will have it done in the next few weeks - definitely in time for winter and the cold weather. Then it's on to the grey fingering weight afgan for myself. That's a good ways along but still slow going.

I got the yarn I ordered online for my car project but realized I haven't compared it to what I have so far. Oh well. This is a donation lapgan so I'm not too fussy about it matching. Although I think I will put the leftover wool yarn in the car as the next car WIP.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’ve done nothing today except eat, take a nap, and fiddle around online. I’m headachy - probably the price for having the house open yesterday and today. I’m sure the air is full of dust and pollen, but it’s great to have fresh air blowing through the house after many months of a/c.

I’m still plugging away on the decluttering. Still haven’t made it to the curtain, but maybe tonight since I’m ready to away the rest of the stuff on the folding table. After that I will start sorting all those odds and ends of tread and embellishments by color and finally get those put away to. It’s been collecting for quite a while. I’ll be very glad when it’s done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Last Friday's fabric finds. The white fabric with the basket is a stack of 8" "picture book" prints. Quite a variety, flowers, animals, food. With some blue fabric it will make a nice donation quilt. The purple mottled print is an odd shaped scrap, but I will get some squares out of it. The small floral is a 1/8 yd piece, and the lg floral was half a yard. All freebies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1211.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	49567

And the brown patches I worked on today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1212.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	49565
    Some pretty fabric and at a good price.Lots of time the best gifts are free.