2019 Stash Management - Page 14
Page 14 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost all of today so far has been spent on the beaded dress parts. All the design elements that crossed a seam had to be restitched on both sides of the seam. PITA. Some beads were loose so had at be stitched back on. It took forever, but the 3 parts are separated and ready to use now. I have to think about how to use them now. Or maybe I will just pack them away for now. I need to make more boy gowns but the beads are more girlish. I hate stereotyping clothes by gender, but I know I'm in the minority there. So be it, in this case.

I wanted to move a clamp on magnifying light from the LR to the work table, but there was no workable place for the clamp. I went out to the garage where it was approximately 1,400 degrees below zero to find a scrap of 1x2 to make a small mod to the table. Had to move a bunch of stuff and found a piece about a foot long, so cut that in half. 1/10 of a second later, I noticed the size scrap I needed, sitting right there in plain sight on the back corner of the saw. Ugh.

While I was out there freezing my heinie off anyway, and since I had dragged stuff away from the lumber rack already, I rounded up some boards to make the trash can/shelf I want next to my sewing machine. Having a container there has become indispensable for stuff like quilt binding and ribbons for baby stuff. I also found 2 boards to put at the back of my serger and sewing machine cabinets, to stop the foot controls from constantly making a break for it. Dragged the whole works and my freezing hands back in the house and hauled out the drill to assemble the new stand. Of course the battery was dead. As were the other SIX. My achin' head. Luckily the little drill still had some juice and the big drill batts charge fast. I got the backstops put in place for the foot controls, so I will see how those work out. I got the shelf thing put together and I think it will work out. It's better than having to move the container every time I need to use the trash can.
    2019 Stash Management-20190124_112103_1548360437027.jpg

We have blowing snow today. Such fun. I think it's actually snowing too. Our high for today was supposed to be right after midnight last night and temps have been dropping throughout the day. We're at -2 at 2 PM, with a -20 wind chill. It's no wonder our poor little birds are mowing through the suet trying to stay warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by renmerc446 View Post
    SD, the critter in question does sound a bit off in what she seemed to latch onto as needing to be changed. Seriously... changing "sugar" to "sweetheart" and griping about "lovey" out of personal preference? She should be more concerned about what's right for the character, not what's right for her as a critter/reader. I had a different experience. I was critiquing someone's story and offered some examples on things that I thought needed addressing. Next revision, I would find my examples added into the story, word for word. It really felt like I was rewriting parts of her story for her without doing the actual work.

I agree on not using writing fiction as an excuse for not doing research. Even if a writer is going to tweak something for story purposes, s/he needs to know that thing works before making changes. That's one of the reasons I love documentaries and taking classes on various things, so I can put it in my writing. Even if it doesn't get in the story, ~I~ know what something entails and it makes my writing better, even if I'm writing fiction.
    I obviously had missed something lol didn't realize it was writing partners but thought it was romantic partners. but it is true if you want to learn you need open your mind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

just crocheted a little bit. was teaching a friend a bit at group and mixed up crochet hooks. I have hers and her mine. let her know because it is my favorite!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost done with the wool afgan. I should have it done by tomorrow, if not tonight. Then on to the purple and green afgan for Dad's aide.

I'm still waiting on the yarn for the p/g afgan. I picked up everything my local Michaels had at the time and the local Joanns didn't have the colors in the brand I wanted. Ordered a little bit more online. I should get it by the time I need it. I'm alternating colors but using two skeins of each color for each stripe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished a basket! Itís a quick project and was fun to make. Iíll definitely do more. The bottom is just a spiral so it could be easily adjusted to any size. I started it with several different color combinations and wasnít happy with any. I wanted to use up some of the RH Calliope I bought cheap but donít really like. Itís a sort of sherbet pastel. I finally paired it with Monet that has the same basic color range but darker and more subdued. Instead of a third variegated I used a solid yellow. That worked well and seemed to pull it together. That definitely made it a spring combo. Easter eggs anyone? Lol. I followed the pattern but added a row of reverse sc around the top. Thatís a great stitch to add some stability and sturdiness to an edge. I use it to border most of my lapghans.

I finished the three must do kitchen decluttering areas yesterday, the counter and two tables. I still need to do the fridge and freezer and the floor is a disgrace, but I may not do it until tomorrow. Thatís all behind closed doors so itís not in my face all the time, well, the floor is. Anyway thatís as good a reason for procrastination as any.

I started a yellow scarf while I had the yellow yarn out. Iíll work on that today and probably make another basket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-8e7fe1a3-6419-4008-b51b-52bcac08bb74.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the basket, D. It does look like Easter and spring. I can see that it would go fast.

Today was supposed to be about baking bread but I got sidetracked to the little beaded dress. I went to the work table with every intention of packing up the parts of that gown for some other time, but one thing led to another...
    2019 Stash Management-20190125_142902_1548449540925.jpg

I'm completely sold on the use of clear patterns. Since I think they could be used for so many different uses, I'm just going to leave some tips here. I used sheet vinyl sold by the yard because I had it on hand to make my patterns. The person who posted the idea online used clear sheet protectors slit open on 2 sides and opened flat. Another suggestion was using a clear shower curtain from a dollar store. I used a Sharpie to draw on the plastic and let it dry for a good long time before touching it. It seems to be holding up fairly well. I snapped a pic of how easy it is to use the clear patterns. Placing the pattern to get the design exactly where it needs to be is a breeze now, as is being able to tell just where the beads are that would interfere with seams, so adjustments can be made before cutting, avoiding yet another "I sew, therefore I swear" moment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hit the wrong button. Here's the pic of the clear patterns being used this morning to cut the beaded baby gown.
    2019 Stash Management-20190125_082331_1548450393908.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooh, I love the basket. I may have to try that when I get a chance. bride was OK with bolero pattern so it is a go and I have it half cut out now. will get that finished in the next few days. I now need to take out the bodice of the wedding dress by just about an inch, so it is a date with Jack that I need to make and get that done. Next time she comes for a try on, the jacket will be done and hopefully the bodice too so I can get the dress back together. I also picked up another sewing job this week of hemming a couple pairs of men's pants so that is now on the list to get finished. Need that done by Thursday.
    SD, thank you for sharing your sewing burial gowns project with us. they are so beautiful. and thanks for showing the clear patterns, makes so much sense. Keep up the great and motivational inspirational work everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It looks like I am back to work Monday. At least for three weeks. I am not counting out the possibility of another shutdown in three weeks. My husband feels that future shutdows will not last longer than one month. It seems to be the point where enough things go wrong that politicians reopen things. I think we will still keep a few months money saved though.

This makes me think that I will really enjoy retirement. I sometimes read how people in retirement get board. I do not think that will happen to me. I enjoyed having time to play board games with my husband and read and do crafts. New games and books come out all the time. And the number of things to craft is litterly unlimited. Any line drawing could be turned into an embroidery pattern. I have more than a life time of drawings I can use at home.

I still want a place where I have a museum or art gallery or other nice places to visit in an easy walking distance or short bus ride.

It is still some distance away - almost nine years. But I feel a bit like I was retired for a month.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - you will never be bored in retirement. I think those who are have so identified themselves with their work that they are lost without it, or have led such a physically active life that as the inevitable ills of age set in are unable to carry on and never learned how to just be still, and maybe most of all those who have never learned how to entertain themselves. For my part, I have loved every minute of retirement. There aren’t enough hours in the day to do all I want to do.

I am almost finished with the yellow scarf and maybe over a little half finished with the second basket. It can be a Christmas present one. I’m using RH Aran fleck, aspen, and sandy print. That’s making a really pretty light neutral color. I think I may have enough of those to make a second one. If there isn’t enough sandy I could double one of the others, making a differently shaded band around the top.

Housework today, then crocheting. I am definitely going to give a block of time to crochet before I start the embroidery. It feels great to be using some of the ridiculous yarn stash. However I bought it all to have for retirement and here I am. I’m glad I did lay in a big stash, even if it bugs me sometimes. Nothing is getting cheaper and it’s good to have it on hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope the budget battle gets settled without another shutdown. Bills are being introduced to make them illegal, but being the skeptic I am, I doubt they will pass. One of our senators is trying to pass a bill to give back pay to the contractors too. I hope she can get it through.

I guess I retired about 25 years ago. I didn't plan to but it just worked out that way. I haven't been bored at all. There aren't enough hours in the day.

I baked bread and buns and made WW pork ball soup and WW hot pretzels this morning and cut some angel pockets, which are just squares of various sizes. I bought 2 yards of satin at a thrift store a while back so will cut all of that and see what I end up with. I also reorganized the fabrics for the gowns so I could empty one to store completed gowns in. I've made about 25 gowns so far and barely made a dent. I'm surprised how many little gowns I can get from one big one. Since I've picked up so many little accessories and now have a great supply of all the basics, I should be able to afford to keep making these for as long as I want to, just picking up one or two gowns now and then. Now I'm on the hunt for a very ornate, poofy gown with lots of fabric. If I find the right one, I'll be willing to pay more than I usually do. Who knows what I might find at a garage sale this summer, too?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hopefully the govt stays open for everyone. being good and just trying to work on mils present. have the urge to start on a new project lol one thing I have to do is come up with a craft for guides..thinking italy flag out of beads ..maybe get dd to sort out our beads. saw one with beads and pipecleaner in a trefoil pattern.

told dh to move the tv off the sewing table so I can work on the very long awaited blanket I promised. just forget all the time and she doesn't remind me. because crochet is easy and portable and upstairs. everytime I go downstairs it is work and others mess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Has anyone heard from CH? Any posts on other threads I don’t look at?

I finished most of the day’s assigned housework. I’ll probably do the living room floor later but that’s enough for now. I’m taking a break, then I’ll check the mail. Usually I don’t every day, but until the templates arrive from Australia I am. They were expensive, postage was expensive and I don’t want to just leave them sitting on the mailbox on the road. It’s very unlikely anyone would get them since only a couple of othervpeople live on the road and it’s so out of the way there is no traffic, but still. I think it’s better to watch for the package.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I checked a CH's last posts and when she was last here. That was a few days ago and she hadn't been anywhere on FV then. I couldn't see in her last posts any mention of a,trip or anything. I'm worried about her. I hope nothing has happened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’ve been worried too. It’s not like her to just disappear.