2019 Stash Management - Page 142
Page 142 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142143144145152192 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can make a quick tote bag out of a tank top or sleeveless shirt. Turn it inside out. Sew along the bottom hem. That's it. The shoulder straps are the handles.

My finished jigsaw puzzle.

2019 Stash Management-img_20191014_160714080_1571224157157.jpg

I did similar flat lizards to that once. I sewed on wings to make a simple dragon. I tossed the pattern because I found out the free pattern site I was using was known for pirating patterns from people trying to make a living as pattern designers. At the time, I could not find another paid pattern like it. But it could have been out as a freebie pattern since it is pretty basic.

I found similar ones online today. I don't want to abandon my lizard in progress so I will wait. I did get some lizards from clip art to try. I am trying one with vinyl. But the vinyl is stiffer than fabric so it does not have as much depth as I wanted.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have tee shirt bags and hate them. Too stretchy. I'm sure they work fine for others.

We have a mouse in the kitchen. Yuck! Our useless cats have ONE JOB...

Down another 1.1 pounds today. Hope there's some actual fat in there, but I'm sure it's 99% fluid. Don't care. Fat will go later. In the meantime, it's encouraging when I need it most.

I think I might start with the cabin purge today. I want to completely reinvent the storage out there. Could take a while and require some construction. Sounds depressing, frustrating, and boring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started a new jigsaw puzzle. There are random funky shaped pieces.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20191016_100836680_1571235052597.jpg

I think for the t shirt bags it depends what you put it them. I used one for a yarn bag. It worked okay because the yarn was light.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like puzzles with funky pieces.

I went out to the cabin. I didn't really get anything much done, but I did notice 2 half full totes with misc camping stuff, so I did a fast sort to fit them into one. Lo and behold, I found my little rolling pin! I had started to think I donated it. Now that we have the little oven in the camper, a rolling pin will be handy for several things we are likely to cook. Since it's small, I'll have room for it. If we don't use it, I can remove it as easily as I added it. I also found a missing flashlight, headlamp, tablecloths, and a bunch of other stuff. Can't wait to get all the camper stuff together so I can go through it all at once. It's impossible to know what stays and what goes when we don't know what we have for sure.

I'll be doing the happy dance all day about the rolling pin. It's not like I see those every day to get another one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I get the ribbon for boring again. I prefer all my puzzle pieces to be nice and square.

I have found a home for all my watercolor supplies. So I’ll be packing that up today or tomorrow.

Yesterday I stitched white. And more white. And more white. Snow is not interesting to stitch. Today though I will be able to finish that and start getting into something more entertaining at least more colorful.

Yesterday I ordered the new lamp and a needlework stand. The stand was quite expensive but it looks like it might actually work for me and the reviews were good. If it doesn’t I’ll return it, even if I have pay postage to send it back. I’m hopeful this may do the trick though.

I’m still trying to work out how to manage the thread with so many colors. I’ve decided that my needle holders just aren’t going to work, and I’ll have to work directly from bobbins. I can do that but I’ll have to label them with symbols which is time consuming. I’ll probably work on that some today, at least getting the colors done that are coming up soon. Scaling up to something this size takes some different organization for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Definitely a stay-at-home evening tonight. We're finally getting some rain, which is forecast to be heavy this evening. I just hope it holds off until after I get home. The road I have to take to get home tends to flood out easily, as does at least one of the alternate routes (which also backs up a lot on a good day). I'm not looking forward to next month when one of the main roads into town is going to be closed for 4-6 months. Or so they claim. There's a bridge that needs to be fixed and expanded. Since they're going to be doing the work during winter, I don't have high hopes they'll get it done within the scheduled time frame.

At least I have the wool afgan to work on tonight.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I sympathize with you on your commute and road construction issues. They have been doing bridge repair here for a decade, and widening one of our major highways for almost as long. Two highway access points near me are still closed, nearly two years now. Bridges that link areas of town get closed for months at a time. Random streets are closed or narrowed for work with no warning. Getting home with no detours is getting to be a challenge. A couple weeks ago they closed the Interstate for two days, for goodness sakes. What a mess that was.

Meanwhile, it's a beautiful day for sewing.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, CH. Normally my commute is short - only 15-20 minutes. But they closed the road I mentioned for emergency repairs and it took nearly that long just to go one mile to get out of town. And that was just for a week. This is going to be for months. And there one weekend each year where thousands of people descend on the town for Commencement (for the University in town). A couple years ago, they ended up closing down one lane and alternated traffic that weekend and it was a mess. I don't even want to think about what it's going to be like when the road's closed in both directions. Sigh.

So far, it's just been rain and not heavy rain which would cause back-up drainage flooding (especially with all the fall leaves on the ground) so getting home shouldn't be too bad (hopefully!!). But it's definitely a stay-inside sort of day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This morning at the dentist --- a wreath on the door made up of ribbon loops. On closer inspection, the ribbons mostly had dental motif - teeth w/ happy faces rather like these...https://www.etsy.com/market/dentist_ribbon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, my dentist has a surprising amount of stuff around his office featuring teeth. Haven't seen a wreath yet.

I got 14 blocks sewn today. Most were made with strips already cut and partially sewn. I cut 4 new fabrics and started mixing them in as I went. Here are the new ones with some of the existing blocks. I cut the four on the right, haven't cut the red print with the selvedge yet.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1244.jpg

You might be wondering about the orange print. I love the colors in it and decided it will be my Sparkle color.

Now I need to sit down and figure out how many blocks I am supposed to be making. I thought I had done this once already, but it isn't in my project notebook.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

14 blocks sounds like a lot. What's a Sparkle fabric?

Taking the serger in today, so that's a wasted day. We'll do some shopping, of course. I'm debating about going to Hibbing, which would add 60 miles. JA has a good ad but I don't need anything, so probably will skip it. Will see if Husby wants to go over there for anything.

We caught a mouse. I hope it's the only one. We'll leave the trap out a couple more days and then disinfect everything, instead of just spot-cleaning. No point pulling everything out of the pantry and washing it all down multiple times, etc. Dang, I hate mice in the house. Disgusting. Fortunately we seldom have one, and then usually it's one the cats drag in. They take the concept of catch and release way too far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on the wool afgan last night but not as much as I would've liked. Been kinda antsy lately. But I think I'll probably be able to finish off skein #9 and start skein #10 tonight. It's pretty close already, I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DCompton - There is nothing wrong with being boring. Or with other people thinking you are boring. Like what you like.

In high school people called me boring because my favorite thing to do was stay home and read. Some people think reading is boring. I think they must be reading the wrong books. Of course now I have expanded what i do for fun. But most of my leisure activities are homebody things except for going to museums. So still pretty boring in most people's opinion. I guess because I don't like to go out to noisy, crowded places and get drunk.

I went to the dentist yesterday. I have very bad teeth, but have been putting it off for a long time. Yesterday I just got the teeth cleaning and exam and appointments for future appoints along. The cost for all the future work is high even with my dental insurance that pays for half. And the lady said my dental insurance was better than most. I am glad we are in a financial position where we can handle it. We just paid off our last credit card. I was going to talk to my husband about putting more money in investments, but that will need to wait a few months. The appointments - there is a lot of them - should be over sometime in January.

Then I just need to do something about the bags under my eyes and my weight and I will be perfect.

Well it's not like a have the face of model. I will not have perfect looks, but it will be better. But I feel like this is giving me some motivation to make other improvements. I have read that doing a facial massage will help with puffy eyes. I also just read that witch hazel helps. And I already have a moisturizer with witch hazel. So I will give those two things a try and see if they work.

Weight is tricky. My weight has nudged up again. I am blaming changing hormones this time since I have not really changed my diet or exercise. I will try to nudge up my exercise since my eating is already pretty healthy.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Spirit Deer;4112559089]14 blocks sounds like a lot. What's a Sparkle fabric?[/q]

Remember, they're only 8" blocks, so kind of on the small side. I'm estimating I'll need 40-50 each of the squares and the pinwheels.

Sparkle fabric is a concept used in Amish quilts. They were traditionally made in muted solid colors, lots of black, navy, dark red, dark gold or rust, etc. The patterns were simple, bold, often just squares or triangles sewn together randomly, very utilitarian and often not planned or coordinated. But then what you see in these sometimes very drab quilts is a single bright or light color as a center block, or a border, or somehow used as an accent. This is a sparkle color.

[q] JA has a good ad but I don't need anything, so probably will skip it. Will see if Husby wants to go over there for anything.
    [/q]

They're having another fleece sale. But I see a lot of cotton is 40-50% off, so Monday or Tues might be a good day to scavenge the remnant bin.

Another mild sunny day here. Have to get gas for the car, no other reason to go out. Going to do some more blocks, and then maybe something in the yard. Or laundry.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My new lamp and stand should be here in a couple of hours. Good delivery day!

I have a couple of friends coming out tomorrow. They’re from the old days when I was office manager at the opera company and they were board members. One was president of the board one year and the best I worked with. They’re great guys. So I need to spend some time today getting the house company ready. Fortunately it’s not too disarrayed at present. The wife of one of them is an artist and is taking the watercolor supplies so I need to get that all bundled up.

I got a later start on the cross stitch last night than I intended so didn’t get a lot done. I did get past most of the snow. And did two tiny black fox legs. I spent more time working with the threads. I’m putting more on the working bobbins since it will take a lot more thread. Given that, I’m switching from the flimsy cardboard bobbins to plastic. For those when I mark them with symbols I use tiny bits of removable label which is tedious. In short, quite a time consuming project. I got through about 50, maybe a third of the colors used on the first page so I have a long way to go just for that. I’ll probably carry on more with that today rather than the stitching. I’d rather be stitching, of course, but on such a long term project getting it set up the most efficient way at the beginning will pay off later.