2019 Stash Management - Page 143
Page 143 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4393133140141142143144145146153193 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2906
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope you enjoy your new lamp. I know I always like having good light when I work, especially on crafts.

Quilt show tomorrow, should be the last of the season for me. It is my quilt guild. They are having a big 'yard sale' since new state laws don't allow the venue (a church) to have vendors. That's irritating for small groups like this, and small vendors because these kinds of events can't happen at the expensive venues where retail shopping is permitted. Anyway, I hope to come across some good finds again this year.

I was going to go with a friend. She asked if it was ok for her husband to come along and I said yes. If he enjoys that sort of thing then I don't mind, even though it limits the kind of personal discussion a couple of women would usually have. Then today she tells me she and her husband are going to get up and go early, and they'll probably miss meeting with me, since I was planning to be there later. So I'm feeling a little miffed. If I'd known I could have asked someone else who wanted to spend time with me. She did this to me earlier this year, too. I am going to stop inviting her to go to the shows with me.

I got a handful of blocks sewn today, did not count them. Going a little slower now trying to match up what I have cut without repeating too many prints in each block. I believe I have plenty cut, it's just a bit of a puzzle to match up 16 squares and make them all different. I really need a huge table to lay everything out on so I can see it all.

Having some friends and kids over for an impromptu 'learn to paint' and hobby night tomorrow. Had to get a few things out of the basement that I just packed away a couple weeks ago. Going to be a busy day tomorrow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I LOVE my new lamp and stand!!

The lamp has both daylight and warm light settings and dims. I’ve never had such versatile light.

The stand is perfect. I have tried several and never found one that was comfortable to work with in the recliner. This one could not be better. I recently joined an awesome Facebook cross stitch group and someone mentioned this one. I trotted off to Amazon. It is $$$ but worth every penny. Now I can work two handed which is great since I’m doing such big things now.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowery-Workst...ery+wor&sr=8-1

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, sorry to hear about the issue with your friend. I tend to go to events by myself since I like the flexibility of not having to match anyone else's schedule. But it is annoying to have someone bail at the last minute, especially if they have a history of doing it.

Finished skein #9 and started skein #10 of the wool afgan. This will be the last skein on this WIP. My friend's MIL isn't that tall so doesn't need an overly long afgan. My grey/green w-b afgan is next in the queue. I will likely put this down on a regular basis for other WIP's since I'm using fingering weight yarn on it. At least it's long enough (or almost long enough) to cover my legs so they'll still be warm now that the weather's getting cold.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CH - get us some more great photos at the quilt show!

I still love my goodies from yesterday. I worked on the shelf for about an hour last night, but not on the stand. I’m in a super confetti section and with that much color changing, it needs to be in hand for all the starting and stopping. There were a few colors with six or eight scattered stitches but most were one, two, or three. It’s an itty bitty fox. When I get past that I have some areas of more connected stitches, or at least more of the same color. One of the great things about this stand is that with the side clamp it’s easy to go back and forth between using the stand and just holding the work. 100% happy camper!

I didn’t get all the craft clutter put away but at least the house is acceptably clean. I have no idea when my friends are coming, but I can keep pegging away at that until they do. After they leave it’s nap time. With their unpredictable ETA, I got up early, after about 5 hours of sleep. I’ll definitely crash later today.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So many great quilts here today.

But first, shopping.

Maybe. The Wi-Fi here seems slow. I may have to wait until later to upload anything.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you like your new light and stand setup. That makes it all worth it.

Down 3.3 lbs since Monday. It's a small start. Trying not to think about the 20 I regained. Stupid of me.

Husby took off for town to do a bunch of errands. I woke up this morning and decided to get rid of a long, low cabinet we had in the cabin. I've tried it for various purposes in various places over the yrs and it just doesn't work for anything for us. Plus it's 7' ft long, so takes a lot of floor space. It's not very tall so isn't worth the footprint it takes up. We paid $5 for it yrs ago to store a few hundred video cassettes and it was great for that, but those are long gone. Husby will drop it off at the thrift store. Hope someone else can use it. It's a nice cabinet. Glad to have it out of here though.

Otherwise, just doing some little stuff. Got the magnetic catch on the sink cabinet door so the door doesn't stand open an inch to let mice and Shadow in. Now we don't have to put a chair in front of it when we're not around. Shadow would be able to open it, but I don't think she will.

It looks like the weather might be good tomorrow to move the camper to its winter location. It's hard to get it hitched or unhitched in that spot, but it's the best place for the plow crew to avoid it and give the extra space to push snow. Still need to haul some trash, too. Still lots to do. Winter could arrive anytime around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my deck furniture cleaned and put away Wednesday. There is 1 teak bench still outside I usually clean & oil, then leave out another day until the smell dissipates, then bring inside. Need a nice day for that. Mad because I warned hubby of a woodpecker making a hole in the siding days ago. Today I hear the woodpecker UNDER the siding, now inside the wall pecking away. Hubby's usual job of procrastinating. Now the problem is much larger. Grrrr.... wish I had married a handyman.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A good light is everything. ch maybe she as one of those husbands who won't stay behind. though I would stop inviting her. still decluttering. got dd too but not much came out of it. so... got the boxes sorted for the free shipping days to the diff groups. just have to weigh them because can't be over 5lbs. did find the elastic hairbands I got from dollar tree for making scrunchies out of yarn ends. had a couple dollar shopping trips to buy stuff to add to the boxes. realized can use the empty under the bed storage container for the yarn in the box in the closet so did that. my pretties...lol all my mandala woolease.

raining on and off all week here. kinda blah week and sil being her..why I am surprised who knows by now. just cus we aren't hateful people so don't think that way. 99% out of my life now. started new job yesterday so far so good and nice people. got muffler replaced $$$ w tailpipe since that fell off who knows when. volvos aren't cheap. running all the reg errands too. so many books from library to read too. plus got some fun groceries at the store I worked at today. will be hard to not shop at these stores lol a frozen italian dessert that I got one last year at xmas came out for then. meringue and cream was so good.

didn't go to scout camp. we aren't used to having weekends free and time for us. so will take time to get into the groove. halloween stuff needs to come down too! fall decor is up but we have so much halloween stuff lol did get a skeleton light up octopus today at that store for my sea themed bathroom. we love halloween been watching horror movies too. realized one of my wips was a pumpkin doily I started last year lol need to finish some of these projects!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I walked down to the camper and fetched the round cable bag with the dogs' tie-outs in it. On our last trip, I thought of a way to improve the setup of the detangler. That mod required some ripping on the 2 straps I made for that, so I ripped and then made 2 complete detanglers with hardware we bought in MO and yesterday. Last trip, it would have been nice to have 2 detanglers instead of having to keep moving the single one we had multiple times per day. I had an extra, longer strap so I used the new hardware to make another complete setup. I also packed up the new short tie-outs with the rest of their stuff in the cable bag, so that's all done. While we were gone, I also made a sloppy prototype from a piece of milk carton to add to the leash keeper I made for the handrail.
    2019 Stash Management-20190601_134647_1571459159672.jpg
    It's not working as well as I'd like because it wants to slide down. My little crappy prototype works well to keep it in place, so have to make a nicer one now that I'm home and have proper tools. That won't take long. Then I think the entire tie-out system will be done for good. It works extremely well, just needed a couple tiny tweaks. I got to cross the first item off the long list of camping things I need to do, so that's something.

It's been a slow day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Friend came - one had gone to Arkansas for the day - and the watercolor supplies are gone. I’m glad they have a better home where they will be used.

I finally got all the thread for the current pattern page squared away so I think I am finally ready to concentrate on the stitching. There are still about 90 colors that aren’t used on this page and I will gradually get those done. The one thing I don’t like about working directly from the bobbins when there are so many I have to keep them in boxes just to find anything is the box lid. They’re hinged so the open lid is always in the way. It occurred to me last night that I could fix that and I cut the lid off. Why did it take me so long to figure that out? When I not working on the project I can still set the lid on to keep dust out of the floss. I’ll have to do another for this much thread. I’ll get all the floss in them and then I’m ready to go! I would love to think I could finish the first page today and tomorrow but I know that’s unrealistic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I run across those forehead-slappers, too, D. Hate when it happens, but love when there's a simple solution that makes things easier.

We hauled out trash today. Didn't find much to salvage but did get another dryer drum to plant potatoes in and a coated wire fridge shelf I hope will work to cover the camper AC so stuff won't fall in it anymore. Not sure it's long enough, but it might work anyway.

We got the shoe shelf cut to go under the camper steps.
    2019 Stash Management-20191019_123637_1571512251654.jpg
    Once it's painted black and attached next spring, the steps will fold up and slide under the camper as usual. The shelf will just stay in place and be ready for use anytime. It'll be so great to have a place to dry our shower shoes other than on the gas tanks, or having to have wet shoes inside the camper if it's rainy.

I ripped off the frayed binding from the arm of the bag chair. I checked the other arm, and it falls apart at a touch, too. Oddly, the binding on the seat and back seems fine. Dunno what happened with the arms. The whole arm binding is just rotted shreds. Luckily the chair is put together with screws instead of rivets, so it's easy to remove the arms and do most of them on the machine. That will save a lot of work, bleeding, and swearing.

Another day of little odds and ends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the arms fixed on the bag chair.

Moving on to adding D rings to the straps on the pockets for the recliners, and replacing the elastic on their headrests. Neither should take long. I want all these little tweaks and repairs done by winter and have a whole list of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh no. Second guessing myself again. I just saw a post from someone doing the shelf pattern. The lucky dog is only two pages from the end. She is doing it with one thread on 25, the way I started it and it looks so good! The fineness of the stitch helps with all the detail. Maybe I got discouraged too easily. After all I was doing the white, the hardest to work on white. I may have to go back to that and just see it through. In fairness, when I had first started it at the top with actual color it wasn’t that bad. Maybe I could just do a little of the white each day and then move on to color. But I need to decide before I go any farther.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are there any air erasable or water erasable dyes you could use on the white thread? Could you do the white last instead of first, to help define the squares? Have you tried it with the new light? Have you tried using those magnifiers for precision work, that you wear on your head? How about a magnifier right over the fabric, preferably lighted? You don't have to answer. I'm just thinking of tactics that have worked for me or Husby. I can't work on black fabric except in natural sunlight, so I understand your frustration.

Today we move the trailer to it's winter spot, I hope. The bugs were terrible yesterday, but the upcoming forecast looks bad for the week so need to get it done. We have lots of little stuff to put away so that could take a while. I need to add some weather stripping to the cargo hatches, too. Always lots to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are all good ideas SD. I got it out and thought about it before I went to bed and had a good night’s sleep on it. I’m sticking with the 18. I’m entertaining myself, not making an heirloom. There is another deal breaker. The white is not getting good coverage on the gray grid lines. They faintly show through. I have never washed a cross stitch but would have to wash this one to remove the grid lines. It has some dark reds and purples in it and after years of work if they bled I might have to resort to random and undirected violence. Cussin’ just wouldn’t be adequate - lol. I know cross stitch is washed all the time but I’m really chicken about it for something like this.

We had a funny at the birthday party last week. It was the birthday of one of the guys, maybe late 20s? I never heard how old he is. Little girl always picks out birthday presents at the dollar store and hasn’t quite mastered the idea that you should consider the recipient’s tastes. She gave him a pink ceramic Eifel tower. Just what every young man needs. She thought it was pretty.
    Last edited by dcompton; 10-20-2019 at 11:49 AM.