2019 Stash Management - Page 147
Page 147 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4797137144145146147148149150157 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 2906
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dallas does have winter. It may not be what folks up north are used to but it gets near freezing, wet and unpleasant, and does snow, or worse: ice. And nobody knows how to drive in it so everything just shuts down. Spring and fall thunderstorms bring tornadoes, hail, and heavy rain, and flooding is an issue. Last week's tornado skipped over a house I used to live in. Most homes do not have basements, I can't imagine what we would have done knowing a tornado was coming our way. Its a wonder no one was killed. I lived and worked there for several years and go back annually. Enjoy your cell phone service, I helped build the first network of towers in the early 90's. The metro area is growing at a phenomenal rate, traffic there is as bad as any east or west coast city. Summers can be brutally hot. There is a lot of concrete and not many trees. 100F is a normal summer temp, and being outside on a 105 degree day was not unusual for me when I was in grad school there. When I was last there, in Sept, it was 85-90F out. What Texans would call "comfortable". Also, DFW has a lot of air pollution. The morning news will tell you what the daily air quality is, what the UV index is, and whether you should limit your time outside. You will want sunglasses all the time outside to protect your eyes.

Yes, they have public transportation, but it is not what you might be used to back east. Clumsy at best. Locals don't use it. If you want to know what it's really like there, rent a car and drive around some afternoon. Go into the suburbs, not the tourist attractions.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lol - it sounds like CH and I aren’t DFWs biggest fans. There are good big city things, of course. Lots of arts and music, doubtless theatre too. Ft worth has a nice zoo and a fine botanical garden. I’m sure much else since I was there many years ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ft Worth, Cowtown,” used to have the motto “Where the West begins.” Dallas countered with Dallas is where the West begins - Ft Worth is where the smell begins.” It is a vile libel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Of course DFW has some great qualities, including a good job market, a lively hobby gaming scene, fine arts and international cuisine. But nobody should go there thinking the weather is mild or that it is easy to get around. I spend a lot more time driving than DH does, and I used to live there so it doesn't bother me much, I just plan *plenty* of time to get places. DH hates the road system there, the way exits are labeled, the access roads and the switchbacks at major intersections and swears a lot when he drives there.

Anyway.... today I finished the 3 remaining square blocks and packed up all the strips and set them aside. Pinwheels next. I found a different peach fabric to use for the cross-in-square. It has a more vintage look and is a little softer. Something I bought for a quilt project back when I lived in Dallas, but it does not really go with that other fabric, which has a modern look. I will get that cut this afternoon. I'm eager to move on to other projects.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should mention I "inherited" a cross-stitch project of The Last Supper from mother-in-law. The easy parts are done, the remaining is all hard stuff. I don't really plan to finish it but you never know.
    I did sew the blue print strip onto the white flat sheet, then put it away. There is a printed bottom sheet and pillowcases it seems to coordinate with pretty well. I have a wide selection of sheets, blankets, and quilts/comforters for that bed now.
    I have knitting I may work on at dad's Saturday, otherwise reading the Grisham book.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of our daughters is a teacher in Dallas, so we notice the weather there. It sounds awful to us, particularly the ice storms they get. And the heat of course. Anywhere in the south is going to be more and more unlivable as climate change accelerates. Air quality in the whole country is more than 5% worse than a couple yrs ago thanks to aggressive deregulation by the current administration. It's gonna get ugly. Climate change has been a factor in our consideration for yrs as we try to decide where to move, if anywhere.

The leaves have been off our trees here for at least a week, thanks to the high winds we had. The gales of November were early again.

I got the next round of sewing and trimming done on the shields. Just have to get them all turned and topstitched. Then I should probably start on the Christmas table runner for my diet buddy. That will either be a fun project or a nightmare.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A few more pics from the quilt show:

A table runner I bid on in the auction. Did not win.
    2019 Stash Management-img_20191018_140817886.jpg

Mystery quilt:
    2019 Stash Management-img_20191018_130003958.jpg

Simple but stunning:
    2019 Stash Management-img_20191018_125929176.jpg

Bad photo of an amazing quilt. This is the panel fabric that was used. The colors didn't show up well in my photo. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0567728/c...el-black-multi
    2019 Stash Management-img_20191018_125908200.jpg

Another mystery quilt:
    2019 Stash Management-img_20191018_125854587.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Predictably the bottom one with the black is my favorite. Gorgeous!

I only have two jobs today. Carry out the suddenly smelly kitchen garbage and finish the first shelf page. Admittedly it’s been something of a struggle, but I’m learning techniques to deal with it. The second page should be better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We brought 2 of the old Singers into the house - dirty and gross. One barely turns, rubber belt obviously rotten. I looked up the serial # and it is a 285K. One reviewer said "too bad it's not heavy enough to be a boat anchor." So not spending any more time on that one. The other is a 401A so there may be hope.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, neither job done but more education acquired. As usual, costly education. Iíve joined a Heaven and Earth Designs group (Shelf and Ladies are HAED patterns). I did some digging there and got more info on doing them with half cross or tent stitch, like needlepoint. It seems quite a few do them this way. Obviously it cuts the time in half. Staring down the barrel of a heavy confetti 84 page pattern, thatís a brilliantly attractive idea. Using 28 count seems to be a popular choice. So I pulled out some 28 and started experimenting. A 2 strand half cross covers well. I further discovered that gridding 28 myself is difficult, needing a steadier hand. Iíve used 28 over 2 with lots of projects. Even 32 count. The holes on lugana are easier to work with than on aida. I also found the suggestion that Anchor floss white covers better than DMC white. More experimenting and seems to be true. Still not enough to completely mask the woven in grid lines. It then occurred to me that I could cover the grid lines for white areas with a white marking pen.

So back for another round of ordering. MORE fabric, the pen, a couple of extra skeins of Anchor white, and some bobbins. By the time I finish this dumb project will have cost me a bundle, but itís not like Iím throwing away the fabric from all the starts. The stash is just growing. This only looks half as daunting now, and thatís a big win. I am going to conquer this one way or another.

Meanwhile, the shelf is on hold until the next 123 Stitch order comes. I guess Iíll start the Quaker Christmas.

Iím going to be really good at stitching the first page of the shelf pattern. If this keeps up Iíll be able to do it professionally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with you on the black quilt, D.

DLR, I hope you can rehab the old machine.

We're back from fetching the serger. Unexpectedly, this happened: As we were walking out the door, the tech pointed out a used serger just put out yesterday. It had been traded in on a new sewing machine. The tech said it was never used much, and judging by the perfect condition of the serger, foot control, manuals, accessories, and original box, it hasn't been. It was completely serviced (worth $130), and came with $16 worth of thread and a 90-day warranty, too. A comparable new one is about $1,200 or so. I wouldn't buy a random used serger as a rule, but they were asking $400 which seemed more than reasonable. The guy also said he would haggle, don't ask me why, since I know they wouldn't have had any trouble selling it at $400. He and Husby went back and forth and finally settled on $360, 10% off, more than fair. I've been thinking about a second serger for at least 5 yrs but since it was a want and not strictly a need, wasn't really searching for one. I darn sure wasn't going to spend $1k+ on one. But it wasn't as much of an impulse as it might seem. So now lucky machine #9 has come home. No idea where it's going to live but I'll figure it out. I never thought I'd find such a nice machine at that price.
    2019 Stash Management-20191026_142313_1572120612188.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You will still have a low cost per hour on the massive cross stitch project.

Well I am still on phase one of retirement city choosing which is to see what looks good through research. Phase two is a short trip to get a feel for the vibe of the city. Phase three is to start researching other cities. 😛

My idea of an ideal place to live is very different from most people. I want to live in a city center or near a touristy type area. For example near a museum or zoo or aquarium. I don't think I would ever be able to convince people that a suburb is not the ideal place to live. We all have different preferences and that's okay. I live in the near suburbs now. That is only because the areas I would prefer to live in here are out of my price range.

New apartments were just built three blocks from where I work. A one bedroom is $3000 a month.😲

Dallas has a pretty extensive light rail system with routes that extend to the suburbs. It has 121 bus routes. That is less than DC for a city that is more spread out. But it is not horrible. And the city center is generally a hub for public transportation. So you get good service there.

Weather is still a concern. I did once reject Texas outright for the hot summers. I think being retired I will have more control over when I am outside. For example, in Summer I could go outside in the morning when it is generally 10 to 15 degrees cooler and stay home during the hottest part of the day. In Winter I can go outside during the warmest parts of the day. And I would not need to be outside every weekday during seasons where the weather is difficult.

As I mentioned before, my husband is a deciding factor. He does good with heat, but has a low tolerance for cold. While I think I would do okay in some of the cities in the lower Midwest, I get the feeling my husband thinks they are too cold.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It’s true that once you retire you are much freer to go out or stay in. I understand the appeal of living near a city hub. It’s not for me, but you would thrive there. DFW, as CH and I said, can be cold but it’s transient, not settling in for the long haul like in - brrrrr - Minnesota!

I got a little start on the Christmas piece last night. The mindlessness of it is a pleasure after the shelf. I’ll probably work on that until I get the new fabric later next week.

The grocery store did me a favor, I guess. I ordered a bag of trick or treat candy that I liked, knowing it would nearly all be leftovers. Little Butterfinger and Baby Ruth. Yum. Knowing I wouldn’t be back at the store before Halloween I added the note that they could substitute anything similar, brand or assortment didn’t matter. When I got home I was surprised to see what they considered similar. Three boxes of regular size bars of Hershey’s milk chocolate, Reese’s peanut butter cups, and Kit Kat. Fortunately or unfortunately none of those really appeal to me. Saved from myself! After the official trick or treat with LG, I’ll just send them all to the communal kitchen house stock. The Girl Scouts can have them. Thanks, Kroger. I think. Lol. Maybe next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The black background on that quilt really does make the colors pop.

Dlr, hope you can get the machines cleaned up easily.

DC, what a strange way to fill your candy order! Enjoy your christmas stitching. I need to find my project and get it ready for next week. I want to have something to do at the hotel if the weather is bad.

SD, great find! Where are you going to put it?

I got one cross-in-star block sewn yesterday and will try and get the 2nd done today. I have more important things to do, though. Need to find and print all our travel confirmations and itineraries and have them ready in a folder. Then start packing. How much can I get into one carry-on bag?

Shoulder is not getting better, everything is just getting stiffer and sore. It's the drugs wearing off. Never thought I would be looking forward to my chemo session, but I am. Feeling pretty awful today but will get through.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

too cold or too hot is a big nope. can't handle the heat. we have a mild climate here. sun is shining highlighting the cat hair on sides of the chairs etc. dh just knocked his coffee so cleanup time. have been decorating w halloween stuff. we went to friends for horror movie night and went to bed late and though only had one cider ..feel like I partied all night didn't sleep well dh snoring and stiff and sore. crocheted a couple scrunchies for his girls during movies. so sore hands. that is about the crafting I have done. with new job just doesn't seem to be the time though it is not a lot of hours. just new routine and not much energy yet..just drained
    bought tixs for halloween garden event tonight so that will be fun.
    2019 Stash Management-scrunchies.jpg.