2019 Stash Management - Page 151
Page 151 of 194 FirstFirst ... 51101141148149150151152153154161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby opted not to fix the parking brake on the truck. It would cost $600. Seems kinda high.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

you can take small scissors or plane. Think less than 3 " blade and needles. Just flew on United, American and Alaska with no issues with TSA or airline. I took embroidery scissors with me.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by l8eebugg View Post
    you can take small scissors or plane. Think less than 3 " blade and needles. Just flew on United, American and Alaska with no issues with TSA or airline. I took embroidery scissors with me.
    I'm doubtful, but I have a pair of small embroidery scissors I bought as a gift, which didn't get given after all and I don't mind losing them to TSA. I have heard of ignorant TSA agents confiscating all kinds of stuff which is supposedly allowed. I won't risk my gold plated stork handled embroidery scissors to those goons.

Got two blocks sewn today, the cross-in-star and one regular star block. Also finished a zip pouch. 3 more of those to go. Changed a bobbin and the bottom tension started going all wobbly like a drunk sailor. Probably going to have to rewind it with more tension or something.

Digging around I found a small folksy embroidery kit I could take along. It does not come with thread, so I'd have to select some, but it doesn't use much.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought of a small clip-on gooseneck lamp we had that might work over my sewing machine, and Husby managed to unearth it from the depths of the pit he refers to as his office closet. I wouldn't mind buying a cute under cabinet light strip for it and I will if the clip-on doesn't work out, but it would be nice to keep my $11 and put a piece of clutter to work besides.

If I get a vote, D, I vote you buy the simpler shelf pattern and use the more complex one for small areas, like you said. If that extra expenditure turns a nightmare project into an enjoyable one, it seems like it would be worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sure. Everyone gets a vote if they want it. I’m still thinking about it. I don’t have to decide anything right now.

I’ve also been looking at this one from the same place. Black and white. 11 colors. I think I could handle that. I love the tree in it.

https://heavenandearthdesigns.com/in...ducts_id=14731

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting design. I like the tree, too, and the kitty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did some more work on the vamp afgan for myself. I'm putting it aside for the time being as the weather's turned cold (although not as cold as the Midwest!).

I was woken up at midnight with a alert on my phone about a tornado warning in my area (next town over). Didn't get back to sleep for an hour worrying about it. We normally don't get tornadoes in my area, especially ones so close. But it was a really strong storm that came through last night. The temps dropped ~30* in the space of a couple hours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're okay, Ren. Scary. Good to know your phone alert worked though. That was us at Starved Rock SP in Illinois on our trip, alerts going off frequently, pouring rain, flood warnings, etc. Luckily no tornados or bad wind. And it was good to know the phone worked. The worst consequence was the soaking wet feet we got breaking camp, due to deep puddles hidden by grass. We were lucky.
    2019 Stash Management-20190928_082206_1572615126671.jpg

Time to quit procrastinating and deal with the fabric burying my sewing chair. I'm hoping it's one of those things that doesn't seem so bad once I get started. I also want to get the thread shelf done and installed. Much to do, and the DfG shields are ready for topstitching now, too. My Lily's Garden game finally got updated, so my carrot for getting the sewing room chores done today is rewarding myself with my game only AFTER I've done something productive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, SD. I'm still getting use to the new phone. It's louder than the old one. And I don't recall getting Amber or National Weather Service alerts before. That's ok, despite being startled awake in the middle of the night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You should be able to turn down the volume of your alerts, Ren. I get amber alerts, too. I think it's a new regulation or norm in the phone business. I don't mind. When a child is endangered, it's important to use every resource to help, IMO. And of course if we're in danger ourselves, it's good to find that out, too.

I got fabric put away, the rims put on the shelves, thread rack installed, 6 shields topstitched, and a few other little things done. Things are shaping up, finally. Still have to mount the surge suppressor to the frame of one of my machine tables to get it up off the floor, and then everything should be fully functional.

By using the clip light to save money, I should be able to use that for both my indy machine and my new serger, so I don't have to buy 2 more lights.

Got the work table cleared enough to work on the new scrap catcher, so it will be fun to get that started. I need it! Come to think of it, I need one for my industrial serger, too. That could be a challenge to design, since that machine is bolted to its table. I'll figure it out.

All in all, it's been a pretty good day so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We got a tornado warning as well. I think I might be close to the same area. I live in the DC suburbs. I feel like we have gotten several over the past couple years. And this is not a part of the country that usually get them.

Life is too short to take on a project that does not bring you joy. Especially if no one is pressuring you to do it.

I feel like there is some merit in taking on long projects - even if the project may not be finished in your life time.

Studies say retired people live longer if they have a "purpose." Now most people think of a purpose as something like a cause or volunteer work or religion or family. But it does not have to be something altruistic. It could be a large craft project. It could be visiting every national park in the country. It could be learning an instrument and being able to play every song from your favorite band. It could be anything really...but if finish you need to pick something else.

I read a book that had two old ladies in the nursing home that knitted caps for preemie babies. They pledged not to die till they knitted a cap with every yarn there is ... in every color available. And some of the yarn they used was hand dyed small batches. If you knit or crochet, you know that such a goal cannot be completed as new yarn
    and new dye batches are always coming out. I imagine they knew it too. It was a very minor part of the story, but one I found very moving.

I feel like when I retire I may pick some big projects to work on. But I will probably pick a big project that can be divided into a bunch of little things. Like making a stuffed animal for each animal in the zoo. The individual animal could be done in a month, but the whole project could take years. I might need to set limits on some animals there are a lot of. If there are three elephants, I could make a stuffed elephant for each of them. But I am not sure about every animal in prairie dog town.

I will give it more thought after I retire. But I want to have some type of craft project or art project that ties into the city I choose to retire in. Something that gives a kind of connection to the city or part of the city.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - I"m sure the volume can be turned down. It's more about me getting used to the new phone than anything else. I remember getting weather texts from work (we have to sign up for that service) but I don't remember getting Amber Alerts or NWS alerts before.

Kathy - I live on the East Coast so I'm sure we were under a similar tornado warning. And yeah, this is definitely not the area that normally gets tornadoes that often.

I love the story about the women pledging to make caps out of all the different types and colors of yarn. My neighbor when I first moved into my apartment was an older woman who also crocheted. I think having crocheting projects were very much welcomed as work/distraction since she was retired. I ended up with a good portion of her stash when she moved closer to her kids. My main goals are (are likely to be) reducing my stash of yarn by crocheting and writing stories. Of course, I will likely end up refilling my stash almost as quickly as I reduce it, if I was retired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If my goal were to stitch every pattern I have, I would be shooting for immortality. The shelf would take not hundreds, but thousands of hours. I haven’t ruled it out yet, but there are so many others I want to make too.

I just got the large piece of 28 count, so I think I may take out the green trees and restart that one on it and see how how the half cross goes. If it’s ok I will probably get the regular shelf pattern and do it that way. I had only done one partial page on the trees. After the trial I will either carry on with the original or the half cross. I don’t have much invested yet in the trees. Maybe a week of work. Worth restarting if I can do it in half the time.

I did very little last night and nothing at all today. I had a big salad for supper and for some reason my stomach thought that was a very bad idea. It’s never objected before. I was still feeling queasy this morning and hurt a lot with the abrupt weather change so I’ve just been alternating dozing and staring at my phone. I’m feeling much better now though so I’ll get busy.

The banana plants are not feeling better. After last night the leaves are definitively dead and hanging down, drooping and discolored. Summer is over. Finally. I’ll miss the bright green though outside the window by my work table.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It was lovely today so I went out to enjoy the sun. Went by JA hoping to find some holiday stitchery, but they didn't have single seasonal craft project that didn't involve foam shapes. I raided the remnant bin, though. Some neutrals, including two pieces of batik, a tan and a plaid for a men's charity quilt, and an orange floral for a kid's quilt. The photo is a little off. The plaid is redder than that, and the orange is not nearly that pink.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1262.jpg

The gold foil print is 12% linen and a full yard. It is super soft. I am going to hem it and make a simple table topper for the holidays. Our kitchen dining table is pretty small.

I went by the used fabric store, too. No christmas kits. They did have one of those Heaven and Earth patterns, though. A woman in blue or purple. It was a huge kit. It should come in a 3 ring binder!

DC, I don't think I've seen a picture of the "shelf" pattern you're working on.

I was doing fine until I got home. Got myself a coffee and managed to drink it without pouring it on myself or the car. But one of the neighbors mowed his leaves this afternoon and I haven't been able to stop sneezing. Ugh. I've never been allergic to leaves before. My eyes itch, I swear. Stupid immune system.

Finished one more zip pouch. Two to go. I think the pieces are cut out but I am not sure and not going to check. I wrote down the assembly instructions for when we get back from Florida. I will have forgotten everything I know in a week.

Cut a bunch of triangles. May be able to sew on them tomorrow. Will be packing and getting the house and cats ready for while we're gone.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A Twitter friend found out the tornado touched down less than a mile from his house, and neither he nor his wife got an alert. That's scary. He's upset about not getting an alert. Understandable.

Glad everyone on this board is safe.

Bad weather is on the increase everywhere, every year. ☹️☹️☹️☹️