2019 Stash Management - Page 156
Page 156 of 194 FirstFirst ... 56106146153154155156157158159166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2906
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

And I have to add, one thing we are not missing down here is the construction traffic and delays. Not looking forward to that back home.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome Jettsmom. You will find lots of encouragement here.
    Kathy I like the boot cuffs idea. I have seen people turn old wool sweater sleeves into boot cuffs. I think hot glue may be involved.
    I got 1 skein of yarn at JoAnn using 60% off coupon for the hand warmers.
    Last night I watched some videos by a young woman on a channel called Quilters Workshop. She has made several videos with Christmas/gift related ideas. Many were the usual stuff but she had 1 cute idea of making stuffed triangles and sewing together to get a Christmas tree-shape, she hot-glued to a small flower pot to make it stand up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, the traffic has been ok so far. I think the announcements leading up to the road closure may have helped a bit. I do find it amusing that people aren't using the new 'left' lane on the road out of town as much as they could have (at least until they see other people using it). Then again, I think a good number of people are just trying to take the right hand turn onto the highway.

Still working on the skein for my wb afgan. It's taking longer than expected but I'm glad I'm working on this WIP. It's cold today and likely to remain that way for the next several days. Then again, it's only November and it's only going to get colder.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I spent 30 minutes sewing quilt blocks together and was able to get 4 rows done. I have 8-9 rows left. Setting the timer for 30 minutes really helped. It kept me focused on getting the job done.

I'm not a quilter. I just do what I do. I cut blocks out of fabric, sew them together until I have the size I want and then put the batting and a backing fabric on and start sewing straight lines until it's "quilted". My mom used to make quilts and so did one of my grandmothers. They did is all by hand. I'm just using my regular sewing machine. They aren't perfect, but they are perfect enough for my dgds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I may go to town today after all. I just won’t be happy working on a two sided pattern. Also i would rather keep it unmarked should I really screw up the counting. Backups are good. I also found last night that I only have about a yard of a color that requires 2 skeins on 25 count. Doing it on 18 I will need even more. I think it’s slso used on the trees. There are also quite a few colors needing multiple skeins. I really need to just grit my teeth and do the JA. Last time I called from the parking lot to see if one of the riding carts was free, to see if I had to haul the walker out of the car. I’ll do that again. They only have two and lots of old shoppers lol. They used to have none though so this is a 200% improvement.

I’ve decided to stay with plan A and start the Morning Cheer pattern with the little robin. I also decided to work from the top, that I rejected after starting the shelf there. Since I’m gridding the fabric for these, I can easily work from the bottom of the top page, if that makes sense. I don’t know why I didn’t figure that out before. I would rather have the finished sections coming off the top of the hoop than gathering in my lap. This one is 49 pages, a lot more reasonable than the 84 pages of shelf.

The fabric is posting now as late. I hope it comes tomorrow. It’s just as well because there’s stuff I need to do before I leap into a new project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

J - that’s how I made the one on my lap now. Only I just used solid cloth front and back. Talk about lazy. I have some fabric squares I want to make into a quilt. Some day. Right now it’s all about cross stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will catch up later. Sitting at a gas station in Hibbing, burning data on my phone. But I'm so excited about my big sewing desk score! Had to share RIGHT NOW! LOL! I got a beautiful piece, solid maple, with dovetail drawers, for $35 at ReStore in GR. More than I wanted to spend, but when I saw the quality I knew it was worth it! It will work great for me. It's very solid and should be immune to vibration. Already thought of a drawer mod I want to do.

It's been a long day, sun's going down, hour and a half from home, deer are on the move. It will be good to get there.

TTFN. 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jettsmom, I would call you a quilter. It's not about how fancy you make it, it's about love and creativity. You enjoy the process, they enjoy the gifts you give. The best quilts aren't perfect, they have their own unique characteristics.

DC, I look forward to seeing your Robin when it is done.

Great find,SD. You fit the best stuff. I struck out today. I have been trying to find a silver charm for my bracelet. Disney didn't have any. We tried local pawn shop s and jewelry stores. It was a wild goose chase.

Going to do some more hand piecing tonight. Tomorrow is our last day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - what a great find! You’re one of the luckiest thrift shoppers I know.

I had a fun day. I decided at the last minute to just gather up all my big two sided patterns and get all of them copied so I don’t have to do it again. I was not going to deal with the grumpuses at Office Depot so I went out of my way to a UPS Store. When I got there I was the only one, so the girl at the counter just did it all for me while I sat on my walker and watched. Just as we were finishing three more people came in so I hit that just right. How pleasant to have an employee that wasn’t highly annoyed to have a customer!

It’s a big stack of pattern pages. I did the three I just bought, the “when I am old” ladies, and two other Heaven and Earth patterns that I’ve had a while, a teapot and cups with birds and a funny owl called Hrmpff. Also the garden pixie I’ve had a long time from Mystic Stitch. Years and years of stitching.

Then at JA I got my list of thread. Mostly it is what I needed for multiple skeins, but also some I have found I am just very low on. I have some magnets I’ve been wanting to make some needle minders with. I have three or four I’ve bought, but I really like my stash stuff better. I use them less for hanging on to my needle than for attaching my pattern. Anyway, the strung beads were 70% off so I picked up a few. I’m not sure the snake will work, but it will be cool if it does.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-6d61b072-94e2-4b0d-9604-69ff31060d20.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here are the two patterns I don’t think I’ve ever posted. High tea is much smaller than most of this company’s patterns.

https://heavenandearthdesigns.com/in...7bb06c70addc21

https://heavenandearthdesigns.com/in...c10a205ff44098

The pixie pattern isn’t available anymore on the site, and the picture on the front of the pattern is squished down and doesn’t look much like the pattern so no point in getting a photo of it. It’s pretty confetti intensive so I’ve been skipping over it.

Edit - I found an art print of the picture.

https://www.framedart.com/bell/the-p...xoC6fkQAvD_BwE

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the patterns, D, especially the grumpy owl. You pick out the coolest stuff. Love the tea time colors, too.

I had a list of stuff for JA, but ended up only buying 3 hunks of flannel to fill in a hole in my DfG stash. I escaped having spent only $14. Picked up 2 half yd pieces at GW for the general purpose stash, plus another 1/2 yd of flannel for DfG, all for $1 each. Didn't find too much else at thrifts. Don't care, I got what we went for.

I guess I am pretty lucky at finding stuff, but part of that is keeping an open mind and being able to see potential in something not my first choice and embrace it. But I spent a lot of time on Pinterest looking at different ideas, and this desk configuration was my #1 pick. That's lucky! I'm not a fan of early American style, but I can live with it. Here it is! It looks nicer IRL but the lighting was all wrong.
    2019 Stash Management-20191108_185704_1573263290490.jpg
    The bottom 2 drawer fronts are actually 1 ginormous drawer. I can't wait to move all my serger thread into that. I also want to modify 1 or 2 of the pullout trays we salvaged and add sliders to the bottom and possibly middle drawers to make better use of the vertical space. Will have to check tomorrow to see what's possible with the materials I have.

I finally figured out dollar store reading glasses are just a set of magnifiers that hang off of ears, so I tried a pair of Husby's over my prescription readers and they worked great. I picked up a couple pairs of my own today for embroidery and beading. Should make life easier.

More good news today. When we took the old serger in, we happened to catch the tech there. Normally he's at the Duluth store. I talked to the other tech a while, and showed him the mangled scrap I left in the serger yesterday during the ill fated test drive. He could finally see exactly what I had been telling them about the cutter. The serger guy took over and found out the cutter was misaligned, so he replaced the blade which was also worn and adjusted it. Labor was still under their warranty so free, and the cutter was $22, so I can't complain. I will be very surprised if this doesn't finally fix it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's weird. The pic showed up in the draft but didn't post. Trying again...
    2019 Stash Management-20191108_185704_1573279247168.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is the Pinterest desk I liked so much. I had potential alternatives I would have accepted, but this was what I really wanted. I got pretty darn close! I think this one is longer than mine, but mine is only 1" shorter than my maximum allowance.
    https://pin.it/ife7wetwrmkb3h

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome jettsmom. If you make quilts you are a quilter. There is nothing that says you have to make a certain type of quilt or be at a certain level of skill to be a quilter. There are no craft snobs here.

It is a little cold here this morning but the ground is dry. My husband says he might telework on Wednesday if it is icy. He says he doesn't feel confident walking on ice. He walks with a cane currently. I suddenly realized that his wanting to move to a no snow place when we retire is probably more about this than not liking the cold.

I wonder if this is why so many seniors move to Sunbelt cities.

Thick socks would seem like the obvious solution, but my shoes don't fit if I wear the really thick socks. I may play around with it this weekend. I am also working on my stuffed chameleon.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now the pic in the first pic post above is there. Gaaaahhhh! Computers!

I'm all moved into the new desk! I absolutely love it! So glad I didn't hold out for a dirt cheap bargain. I went over it for flaws and other than the scratches, all it needed was a replacement screw on one of the drawer pulls. Scratch remover took care of all the small ones and greatly improved the one bigger one. Can't complain at all.

The middle drawer is the perfect height to hold serger thread cones, so I will use it for that and not build a tray for it. I realized the bottom drawer is a file drawer. I don't know if I can make that work to my advantage but will give it some thought before I decide to make a tray. It's nice to have almost all my serger thread in one space now so I can see what I have. I'm going to focus on using up the partial cones to help get better control of that stash.

I have a large suitcase full of vintage double knits. At some point, I plan to make rugs from it, and then I will get rid of the suitcase. That won't happen till we don't have cats, because they love to pee on those rugs. There is room for it at the end of the new desk. The plan now is to make a U shape from some lumber and set it over the suitcase. That will expand my space to the right of the serger, where I need it. Should work great.

Hard to get a good pic because of limited space, but here's the new work desk in its natural habitat, with a couple stacks of liners waiting to be serged. I hope the dust will settle now on The Great Serger Drama of 2019 so I can finally get some work done.
    2019 Stash Management-20191109_102013_1573318695962.jpg