2019 Stash Management - Page 16
Page 16 of 144 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666116 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished a Ohio Star block last night. I just make them and stash whenever I have enough scraps in compatible colors to do a block. Eventually compatible ones will be combined into small quilts. Found some floral pieces already cut out, need to cut solids and assemble another block or two.

12-year-old car won't be fixed, too expensive. So I am in a rental for 6 weeks until new AWD Prius arrives. They will give me $1K for trade-in as-is which is better than I thought. The drama is over for today. Trying to hurry hubby to sign car over to dealer so we can drop insurance and return tags. Expecting snow and bad weather for next 2 days though. It's always something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a lot of static problems when I was doing the stash. It is truly aggravating. The worst I had to deal with were some little leaves made with some sort of synthetic. To color sort them I finally to go get a couple of pairs of tweezers from the bead tools, picking up the leaf with one and detaching it with the other. Sometimes one or two would just go randomly skittering off into the air for no apparent reason. It took forever and before it was done I was wishing that I werenít too old to throw a temper tantrum.

The only good thing about my chronic arthritis pain is that shopping in stores is very difficult and just thinking of doing it is a deterrent, so I rarely go in any store. That doesnít stop me from online shopping but at least I donít have to walk down aisles full of yarn and fabrics that want to jump in my basket. All of the JA trips before the holidays were unusual.

In a few weeks I think several of us are going on a thrift shop expedition. It will be a easier with someone along to manage my finds, leaving me just to push or sit on the walker. That will be an allowable stash building day because who knows what will turn up. But there wonít be any random on line stash building. Iíve removed the eBay and Etsy icons from the phone. I want to forget they exist.

The templates from Australia came today so I can stop watching the mail so closely. Iím making beef stew and it smells wonderful. Itís time to go add veggies.

Edit - I glanced back over that and had typed manage my funds instead of finds. I should do that too - lol. Give one of them some cash and when itís gone tell them to make me just sit in the car.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

dircpa - I’m sure you will enjoy the new car. Having to buy a new car isn’t fun, but neither is wondering when the next car problems will pop up and then having to dealing with them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gonna be a cold one. Everyone be sure to be safe and be smart. They're talking about ice in Atlanta. Wind chill forecast here is 60 below. They're even giving us dire warnings. As long as the air
    temps stay above -44 and we don't lose power, we should be okay personally.

I'm excited because I just found out Rit has a new dye for synthetics. I have a lot of beautiful, expensive lace from wedding gowns, but it has been dragged through mud and dirt. That will not wash out, and I've always wished I could dye it to cover the dirt stains. I don't think the dirt would be a problem with dye, since it just looks light gray. It looks just bad enough I can't use it on gowns as is. WM is supposed to carry the dye so for once I'm looking forward to going there next time we're out of town. I have to figure out what color now. I'm thinking maybe a deep pink. Being able to dye some of the separate lace motifs I salvaged from gowns would be nice, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never seen Minnesota schools closed due to cold for TWO CONSECUTIVE DAYS. They're not canceling the Beargrease sled dog marathon though. Our vet and her husband are each racing a team this year. It's going to be brutal the way it sounds.

I dug out the bridal lace for another look. Now I need some opinions, please. Do you all think I could use either of these on boy's gowns? I was thinking a royal blue dye would look nice with white satin. But is it too flowery?
    2019 Stash Management-20190128_181858_1548723322093.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-20190128_181650_1548723467875.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would beet juice dye work? Plus, you could eat the beets.....
    I think I would go less flowery for the boys.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying to avoid reds. I'm thinking maybe that's not a color people who have miscarried would want to see, based on my mom's description of her own horrific experience. Beet juice is a good idea but it would take a lot of it. I think I need to try the Rit dye though, since it's made for synthetics. I've tried using regular dye and it doesn't work at all with synthetics. Not sure a natural dye would do any better.

I think you're right about the flowers on boys things. I hate that about society but in this case I will conform.

I will never be done with these gowns. I keep getting new ideas I want to try out. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the top parts are fine but the bottom bigger flowers are too much. would work if they were scattered over a larger garment.

Traded the crochet hooks w friend so got my favourite back. did destash a bit by giving her some of my stash. not much on my projects but moved stuff in basement playroom..definitely destash time there. at least the paint it gone to a good home. pulled out my girl guide craft stuff for something tomorrow. have to go though it and take out my stuff vs their stuff. because the drawers are a mess and what to make it clear what is mine. since I am stopping in june. will use my stuff just not mix it up with theirs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Decluttering and organizing is an endless task.

I agree that the lace is too flowery. Personally I wouldnít care for lace on them at all. I guess it just seems too Little Lord Fauntleroy - lol. But I donít do babies, so what do I know? For dying it, maybe a peach color?

I finished another scarf. Solid navy, just what was in the mesh trash can I work from, leftover from the corner to corner. Iíve gone through my books of shell, cluster, and post stitches, marking a bunch to try. However since Iím limited to about 13-17 stitches, depending on the yarn and hook, I can only use the ones with small repeats.

We had a smattering of rain, but itís stopped and the rest has dropped out of the hourly forecast. The temp will be milder too. It should only drop below freezing for around four hours, possibly dropping to 29 for an hour or so, no lower. Itís windy out of the north but a couple of days ago it looked like it might be worse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, everyone. No lace, or not that lace, on boy stuff, got it. 😁 I just hate that boy stuff has so many fewer options for embellishment than girl stuff. But I've been looking at Pinterest and finding other ideas for boys. I should print out some of them for my baby gown folder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost finished skein #2 on the p/g afgan. I should have it done tonight and start skein #3, which is the second color in the afgan.

I'll probably take my down comforter out again, if only to use while crocheting. We're supposed to get rain today, turning to snow tonight. But then the wind comes tomorrow and we're going to drop to ~4* overnight. Thursday is supposed to be only in the mid-teens before finally warming back up into the 20*'s by Friday. Next week is supposed to be warm - back into the 40*/50's but with rain. Sigh. It's looking like it's going to be another wet year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - The gowns are just beautiful. I always think how nice for parents in that sad situation to receive one of
    these. At a time when it would be something you think about. You really are doing a service and it seems that
    you are getting something out of it too.

I would agree that the lace probably wouldnt good for the boys. What about an applique that is more boyish?
    I dont know if that would be too casual. Just an idea.

I always look forward to seeing what your making or remaking. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, EB. The past few days have been aggravating because of all the static in the fabric. I set one piece down today and it had 6" strands raveling off the raw edges and sticking straight up in the air. It was worse today than yesterday. But I finally finished all of them. I ended up getting 12. Glad that fabric is gone. The static is way worse than with the heavier satins in the big gowns.
    2019 Stash Management-20190129_152457_1548799946861.jpg

I figured out how to make loopy bows like the one on the blue and white pocket and the small one with the blue insertion lace. Instead of a flower in the middle, I put a button. I like these bows for boy things because they fancy things up a little without being too froufrou. It's a good way to use up scrap ribbon too.

The pockets are used sort of like a blanket, with the baby placed into the bottom triangle and then the sides folded over the baby and tied.
    2019 Stash Management-20190129_152650_1548800511156.jpg

I will probably make some more of these before too long, but first I need get the teal gowns made up, before I forget what I have planned. I can start those tomorrow. I hope it goes well. They will be beautiful if I don't mess up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

EB, I do plan to do some items that are more casual. I'm working on building up my inventory right now. Eventually I'll get to doing more than the basics.

I plan to look at JA for some angel print fabrics to use for certain accents. I think that would be cute on a boy gown as a vest, for example. I will have to see what I can find. A yard of fabric just used for small contrasting pieces would go a long way, and not be very expensive per item.

I do use small applique lace pieces on some items. Nurses can decide if they are suitable for boys, with input from the family. I make some gowns with very little embellishments so people can choose. Everyone's taste is different, and not everyone wants an ornate gown.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I restitched some seams I had to rip on the teal gowns, so those have commenced now. I can't wait for tomorrow! I want to see what they will look like. I hope I will have enough fabric for all 5 gowns and bonnets. I think I will, but I have to have something to worry about.