2019 Stash Management - Page 163
Page 163 of 194 FirstFirst ... 63113153160161162163164165166173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post

Someone in a cross stitch group just pointed out that collecting stash and stitching are two completely different hobbies. I need to turn that into a sampler.

I have seen that for other hobbies as well. In the knitting/crochet groups they often say that collecting yarn is a separate hobby.

I suspect that hold true for almost every hobby that has things you can buy. I know it seems to be true for myself and my husband for things for D&D and other games. Well mostly it is my husband buying it, but he is buying it for a hobby we both share.

I finished the edges for my furry ankle cuffs. I just need to add a little more yarn for some button loops and sew on some buttons. Based on the weather this past week, my feet are okay when it is temperatures above freezing. So I might not wear them that much. I did get caught on a metro car once where the heat was not working properly and my feet got a little cold. I might have them in bag for just in case times.

I made a few simple hair scrunchies as well. They are thin ones with just single crochet. I will probably make a few more. I have one yarn I was using that is variegated with a long color repeat. The first scrunchy was mostly one color. So I did a second scrunchy with the same yarn but it turned out a slightly different color. I have long hair and I wear scrunchies almost every day. I also have used scrunchies as kind of a hair bun accessory. I do a hair bun and then have the scrunchy around it at the base. My hair is thin, so the hair bun is pretty small. That only works with the thicker hair scrunchies.

Does anyone remember yarn covered hangers? I have a bunch my MIL made in the 70s and 80s. I think maybe they were a fad then. (I did not crochet at the time.) When I googled it, I saw that some people were still making them. I might make some of them. It seems like a good way to use up little bits of yarn. There is a practical use to it as well. Sometimes my clothes slide off the plastic hangers. It seems like it is also good for yarn that might not be as soft and smooth as you would like for blankets and wearable items.

I think the ones she made may have been using a macrame knot, but I could easily use the same method I use for the scrunchies.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like everyone's had a productive weekend.

I got some work done on both my gray afgan and the wool lapgan. The wool yarn I ordered came in over the weekend. I think I will have enough for two lapgans but that's ok. I can send them to my friend and her husband.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have never seen yarn covered hangars, but it sounds like it would work like a padded hangar to keep from getting creases in your good blouses.

Staying home today. My back, arms and hands all ache and I can't bear the thought of hauling the machine down the stairs, etc. It's not a great strain, but we've been go-go-go since we got home last week and I really need to rest. I will miss chatting with people. but probably get more done at home.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So close! Four little rows.The feathering at the side and bottom edges is to break up a solid line that can sometimes show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-5b15ef6b-deff-46e0-af59-00972a6b09ae.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good progress, D, Ren, Kathy, anyone I missed. I hate that I can't look back on FV mobile. My memory isn't thst god to remember everything everyone has been up to.

Finally, cutting and pinning of shields is DONE. If I counted right, I have 85 completely done and 241 to sew, of which 50 are partially done. If I want to finish on 1/10, I need to sew at least 8 per day, not counting weekends, Christmas, or New Year's. This should be total cake. I want to get 15 done today so the first 100 are done. That will put me ahead right here on Day 1.

So happy to have the first steps done on all these shields. It's going to be lots of work, but worthwhile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some stash management today. Little Girlís mother has said she used to cross stitch. I have more kits than I can ever do, especially since I seem to be getting into these monster projects. Today I am going to go through and take out the ones I mist want to do. She said last night she would love a kit. Iím give all the ones that arenít top of my list to her. Some Iíve had for so long Iíve just moved on. I have plenty of hoops and such that can go with them.

Itís great to have all those basket sets sitting ready for Christmas. I was thinking about next year last night. Iím going to make a cross stitch Christmas decoration for all of them. I will need four. One for each of the three households here and one for next lot neighbor. Last year I made a beaded kit for a good friend that was beautiful. Iíve kept the pattern because eventually I want one too. There are four in the series - tree, snowman, Santa, and reindeer. I have the first three already, so last night I ordered the fourth, the reindeer. The tree took much longer than I expected, so I will need to peg away on them all year. These folks love to decorate. The guys already have their Christmas tree up - lol.

This is the tree. The picture doesnít do it justice at all.
    https://www.123stitch.com/item/Tree-...-Kit/JS30-4104

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, it's good to find thing a home where they will be enjoyed. That is a very nice holiday kit. I liked the santas and snowmen ornaments they had, too. Was tempted to get one, but who am I kidding.

The sun has come out, I've done a little light housework, and it seems like a good time to sew.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some year I might like to make some ornaments and put up a tree but it will probably never happen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful tree, D. Beading never looks as good in pics. I'm sure people will love to receive those as gifts.

101 shields done, folded, and packed. It's a nice start, thanks to the 75 I had mostly done when everything blew up last week. I have 50 to trim and turn, so will do that sitting in the recliner tonight. Easier on my back. Then those will be ready to sew the next step tomorrow.

I'm still trying to figure out the table runner. I'm hoping it will make more sense once I start working on it. I'd love to send it on its way a week from Wednesday, but probably won't get it done by then. I sew, therefore I swear.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everyone mostly had a productive day. I got triangles sewn into pairs, pairs sewn together, those sewn into blocks. Made 8 right facing pinwheels to go with the 7 I had, total 15. Have a stack to make 8 left facing pinwheels later this week. Need 25 of each. Dug some dark red fabric out of the stash, because I need to cut more triangles soon. Also pulled out a 1yd print, delicate red floral on cream, may become part of the backing. I'm planning to use several 1-2yd cuts on the back. It is a scrap quilt, after all.

Got out my quilt notebook and started an entry for this project. This is something I started last year. It's just an inexpensive lined notebook where I make sketches, keep track of sizes and number of pieces, etc. I used to write notes on scraps of paper and post-its, but I got tired of losing them. It's also a way for me to track bead costs when I make necklaces, so I know not to undercharge for them.

Dr visit tomorrow afternoon, way across town. I will probably spend the day out, have lunch, dump coffee on myself, maybe do some shopping. I forgot to get milk on the weekend, and vet said we could try baby food for the cat with allergies. Makes sense, I bet there's no 'chicken by-product' in baby food.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good thought about baby food for cats. Chester is losing weight and it's hard to get him to eat.

I had a great day so far. I trimmed and turned 25 shields last night. Trimming is hard on my hand, so will probably stick with the runs of 25 I settled on a few yrs ago. 25 is a nice size run to work with. I serged maybe 50 liners on the new serger. I'm getting used to it, which helps. It still smells, but seemed a little better this time. I have a 90 day warranty on that, so need to use it enough to know if it has any problems. So far, except for the smell, I really like it. Love the new desk, too. Still can't believe I found such a nice piece for so cheap. I also sewed the second stage on the 25 shields, and sewed the first stage on 25 more, so will trim them for tomorrow. In between, I cleaned (there's always a little hair, lint, and spare threads), folded, counted, and bagged everything that's done, after final inspection of everyone. So 101 shields and 100 liners are packaged for delivery in the big suitcase I'm donating, with the 25 shields I just finished stacked and waiting to be packaged when the next 75 are done. Also cleaned and folded 29 more liners I had done. Based on how I package things and what I have left to do, I will fill the suitcase including having to deploy the expansion panel it has. That makes me so happy to know I'll be helping at least 150 girls get their period days back so they can live healthier, fuller lives.

I sorted and shuffled stuff amongst my small totes so everyone is now counted into 25-piece runs and in covered containers, since Chester loves to sleep on fabric piles. It's a big help to have the right containers in the right places now.

In my spare time, I decided I wanted a new apron to wear as I work on this stuff, to help keep hair off everything. I dug out fabric and a pattern (why reinvent the wheel?) Then I went looking for bias tape and remembered I needed to empty a drawer in the bias tape cabinet. I moved all my zipper pulls to an empty storage box and put away the bags of bias tape in the empty drawer, finding what I needed along the way. I hope I can get the apron made before 1/10.

I got tired of tripping over the 2 pails that lost their home when the sewing room got rearranged, so figured out how to fit them in a space that was an inch too narrow. Now I won't have to give them up, and the file case with all my interfacing organized in it can sit on the pails again.

I also came up with some ideas to speed up construction of the DfG kit bags, so will have to find time to make a couple patterns. Hope that works out.

Also did some calculating for the table runner. I had hoped to make the center block 8", but then it appears the whole thing would be over 6 ft long. Back to the drawing board, I mean, Pinterest.

No wonder I'm tired. Also happy. Getting everything under control has helped a lot with the sewing room disaster and it's almost normal again now. Work table, not so much, but that's better too.

If I can keep this up, I should have shields and liners done by end of next week, and just have bags left. Not optimistic because crap happens, but it's a goal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m getting a lot don’t be too. Page 1 is finished and folded away. Yesterday I sorted through all the kits. I had removed the fabric from some. I think she’s coming over this evening to see if she would prefer 14 or 16 count, and then I’ll finish that up. The ones she doesn’t like or want to do I’ll send anyway. She works in housekeeping at a hospital and I’m sure she could find some fellow employees who would like them. I need to find my size 24 needles and be sure all the kits have them.

Now that I’m getting into such big projects I’m taking a second run through my normal patterns and culling some of the “maybe” ones I kept last time. A lot are just from magazines I subscribed to for a while. They weren’t specifically chosen and bought, though a few of those may go too. Tastes change over the years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a new runner I like. This one should be easy, simple to adjust the length, and it will be easy to figure a nice width, too. It's pretty. I might make one for myself sometime. I'm thinking 3" squares (finished) with two 2" borders. Make any sense, CH? That would make a runner about 17" wide, and I can quilt in strips as I go to save time.
    https://pin.it/vi2xzgc5ii6j7y

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Looks like a nice pattern. I think 3" half-square triangles would be a good size.

With the other pattern, if your pointsettia print square was about 6.5 and you bordered with red and green strips that were cut at 1.5, I think it would end up about 11" wide at center and ~ 33" long. But I would double check that before cutting anything.

Here is a photo of the necklace I made last week. I can't take much credit for designing it. I bought the beads on a strand at the craft store. All I did was add a handful of colored glass beads (the tiny blue and green ones on each end of the tiny brass seed bead sections) to give it more color and sparkle. I used real silk bead thread found on clearance at HL this summer. I wore it two days in a row and it did not fall apart.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1277.jpg

I'm off to etsy to see if they have any christmas cross stitch left.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All of those runners were pretty. Sew4home today featured a quilted "bed runner" - to put across the foot of the bed. Idea being you could put your feet up or where pets would lie down, and only have to wash the runner, not the entire quilt or comforter. Made sense.
    Kathy I agree about using yarn to pad hangers or make them non-slip. Small balls of yarn would be great for that.
    I sewed recycled ecru lace onto the dark green wool remnant, about 10"X56". Some hand sewing remains. Definitely hand-wash only now. Every bit of dog or cat hair wants to stick itself to that wool.