2019 Stash Management - Page 165
Page 165 of 194 FirstFirst ... 65115155162163164165166167168175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I don't think foot controls are usually a problem. In all the years I've sewed and all the machines I've owned, I think this is only the third one, and it's brand new. I wore out one on my 990 after many yrs. It was replaced by a used one maybe 10 yrs ago, and now that one is acting up. Will probably have to replace it but want to see if it's DIY fixable first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been looking for a new cup. I decided I might as well be honest. It arrived today. Of course, buying it from a pattern site where I found the best price, I couldn’t get out without a pattern. An odd one, but as I looked at it, it grew on me. It’s also refreshingly not huge.

https://www.orencooriginals.net/prod...bdd1248b&_ss=r

2019 Stash Management-39fe46b0-c8c3-46eb-92a1-5c2f77eba0e2.jpg

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cute mug! That's a different kind of pattern for you, but those are the colors you love.

Bummer about the foot control, SD. Glad you caught it now and not in January. Hope they can replace it quickly. I wouldn't take it apart yet, that could invalidate the warranty.

Got the new JA flyer, too. Have not looked at it, avoiding all shopping for the next ten days. Except for last minute food stuff. I still need to find dried cranberries. Neither the grocery store, Aldi, or Walgreens had them. But it won't ruin anything if it is December before I buy them.

I got a puzzle out yesterday, cleared the coffee table, it just fit. Pieces are in a pile, but whatever. At first DH was like "do you expect me to help you?" He did help me flip over pieces to get them right side up. He walked away after that but has been coming over and spending more and more time on it. We were up past midnight last night and spent most of today on it. It is definitely a challenging puzzle (the winter tree scene). I'm enjoying it but I think I'm going to be a different kind of achy tomorrow, from not moving.

Rain and/or snow expected tomorrow. A good day to sleep late and stay in.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Runner is done and I decided where to use it, I have votives and silver bowl for greenery. I'm going to finish hand warmers and then knit a matching hat for the chemo friend, hopefully done next week. Kind of a blah beige but I can probably find some pins or beads to dress it up. Crochet flowers?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Coming along on my gray afgan. I hope I'll have it done sometime next week. Not that I really need it since the temps will be reasonable. It's mostly because it was a lot of work.

Thankfully, the next few WIP's use worsted weight yarn so they'll go faster, especially since they're only lapgans and not full twin-sized afgans. Well, one will be a full afgan but I already have that one started. I think I'll get the lapgans done first to use up the yarn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Little girl came over and picked up the cross stitch kits after I got home from town yesterday. Now I don’t have to feel guilty about them anymore - lol. I hope she finds some she likes.

Tea tastes really fine the new mug. In the photo it looks like it holds about two quarts but it’s 15 oz. still big, but not that big.

Last night I took out a scrap of 18 ct and experimented with half cross. I got solid coverage with three strands, but it wasn’t easy stitching. Maybe if I used a size larger needle to open the holes wider it would help. It would use less floss and half the time, not a small consideration on these giant patterns. But the jury is still out on this one. I also cut a scrap of the pre-gridded fabric to try to wash out the grid. Some report real problems with it, but I followed the directions for water temp and time and it came out. That gives me more confidence to use it because if I don’t frame it, it would show. That’s good because with all the starts on the shelf pattern I have about an acre of it, mostly 25 count. It wasn’t that bad to stitch on, or would have been if I weren’t trying to do it with such a ridiculous pattern.

I going to stop kidding myself that I’m going to make scarves. I’m having too much fun with the cross stitch. My goal though is to stop procrosstinating and really get caught up on the house by Thanksgiving. It has been sadly neglected.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished the quilt top last night. I measured it and I will probably remove one row. I think I needed to add one square to each row for the "perfect" twin size. But instead of a 12 inch drop, it will only be 9 inches. I think it will be fine. I brought some fabric up from the basement and chose two pieces that I will use for the backing. I need to iron it and then measure each piece for cutting. I found a couple of backing ideas on pinterest and will use one of them. Hopefully I have enough of the one fabric to do it. If not, I'll just modify it. Getting excited to finish this one up. I don't know if there are any good batting deals on black Friday. I'll have to look for the ads. If not I'll wait or get it early to avoid the crowds. I was there one year and oh man it was busy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck getting the batting, jettsmom.

I avoid shopping on Black Friday. If I do go to the mall, I go in the evening after the worst of the insanity has died down. This year, I'm thinking of staying home and doing crocheting, after I get my wash done. Thankfully the strip mall with the coffee shop I go to on Sundays to write is mostly restaurants so it shouldn't be too bad. And there's a grocery store so I can avoid the worst of the holiday shopping season where my usual grocery store is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a nice mug, except they misspelled "common sense" up there at the top. 😂

Another 50 shields done today, so I was able to bag up another 100. My suitcase is filling up. I'm obsessed with filling it, the sooner the better. I also sewed step 1 on 50 more, same show, different day. I hope to get those done tomorrow, but we might run the newly broken serger over to be looked at. Don't want to. Including the step 1 shields from today, I now have 225 shields yet to do and about 150 liners. If I can keep getting 50 done every day, it won't take long to finish up, but there are some days upcoming that I'm not likely to make that goal. Even so, I should be done well before Christmas. And it looks like I will have the right amount of pieces to exactly fill the suitcase. The people at my new chapter are going to be so surprised. I had told C I normally made about 150 shields each yr, but I will be donating 425 shields, 300 liners, about 35 bags, and the suitcase. Each kit gets 2 shields and 8 liners, plus one bag and some other non-sewn items, so all these hrs of work will help improve the lives of many girls. It will also clear out a lot of space in my sewing room. Love that.

I'm taking the rest of the day off, except for trimming and turning the latest 50 this evening. Glad things are proceeding so fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that sucks about your machine spirit. hopefully a one time thing. I think crochet flowers would be nice. pinned on so they can remove it if they like. here black friday starts early all the sales locally. lots of people cross the border to go to family and shop. not me! only local or online.

home day, housework and hallmark! will make more scrunchies and work on my ongoing wips. only one big one earmarked for xmas. need 2 gifts for xmas gift exchange at moms group.. one of those past the present, steal etc type. so will see if I have a hat done in the stash and use scrunchies. needs to be $5 and under. so got more of the little yarn end balls out of the bag they are kept.

I ordered a bunch of xmas stuff from someone who has a small business online too. $175 but lots of gifts covered. totes, plate cozies, produce bags etc. I know stuff easily made by you guys but for me not so much and really not going to happen before xmas lol not enough sewing practice. one day!

discovered when moving the dead orchid a yellow leaf fell off and oozed a bunch of liquid out all over!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ch, I'm not touching the broken foot control on the serger. The one I might try to fix is for my 990 sewing machine. Its warranty expired in 1987, so nothing to lose if I try to fix it. It's only acting up occasionally so far, so will put up with it for now, but it has the same symptoms as the original one did before it quit, so it's probably the same problem and eventually will fail. ☹️

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check Joann.com daily. Usually around a holiday they will have at least 1 day with a free shipping code. Unfortunately I don't think you can use more than 1 coupon code per order. But for a twin size the regular price may not be that bad for polyester. Actually they have a 2-pack right now 72X90" that is only $12.49. It is low-loft but I'm preferring that now since I use a regular machine to quilt and less to cram under the throat of the machine. If you get free shipping that sounds pretty affordable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I called the Viking dealer and he thinks the serger problem could be the foot control or the motor. Sure glad this happened under warranty. The tech said the store wouldn't be open tomorrow. He's usually the only one there, and he was coughing and sneezing. He said he would either be home sick tomorrow or in his deer stand. 😁 We might take the serger in Monday. Don't really want to go later than that or the grocery stores will be chaos. Besides, I need to make some little Tortuga rum cakes for T-day. Loaded with butter, sugar, and rum. No calories there, luckily.

Tech said if I bring the foot control for my 990 in with the serger, he would take a look at that, too. He said there's some kind of plate in those that wears out, and he would check it. I might do that. It would be nice to have that reliable again.

Got today's 50 shields ready to sew tomorrow, so that's a relief. That project is moving along much faster than anticipated, thanks to the suitcase-filling obsession.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everyone had a good day sewing or shopping.

JA has foam and batting at half price fairly regularly. If not you can use a coupon on it. The current ad is enough to trigger a migraine, but I see they have it on sale Nov 27-Dec 4 for 50% off.

The "Cardinal Joy" stitch kit came today. I may start on it this weekend, depending on how my hands feel. And if I can find a hoop.

DH and I made good progress on the puzzle. I think we can finish it by Thanksgiving. I got one of the large trees connected, top to bottom, down the middle of it. Have the heat turned on and it is playing havoc with my sinuses, giving me vertigo when I bend over the table. So I stop and start when I get a bit dizzy.

Need to dig through my stash of little gifts, too. The ladies at the gym are having a holiday luncheon and gift exchange in early December.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sewing and errands are on the agenda for my Saturday. I hope to get 50 shields done by noon, but that might be optimistic. But that's okay. I need some poster board to make a template for the DfG bags, so I'll finally be able to get that, I hope. If DG or our tiny Ben Franklin has it. Limited options here.

My joining the Duluth DfG chapter renewed discussion of moving to Duluth. It has lots to offer. But I think we laid that to rest. Again. We love Duluth, but GR offers more bang for our housing buck by far. It's not hard to do the math. For the extra $50,000+ it would cost for a house in Duluth, we can buy in GR and also avoid the much higher property taxes in Duluth, plus the city sales tax there, then use the savings for ocassional overnight trips for events in Duluth. We've watched enough people over the yrs to see retirement income often does not keep up with inflation, so we're trying to plan for 25 yrs in the future instead of just thinking about our current income and current COL. Starting off in a higher COL city doesn't seem like good planning for us, so we're back to GR as our first choice. It also has a lot to offer at a much lower COL. The 2 places don't offer the same activities, of course, but each has things of interest to us. There are only so many hrs in the day, and since we find plenty of things to do now in our current situation, I'm sure we wouldn't be bored in a smaller town. Hopefully, saving that much money on the front end of our retirement will help ensure we don't come up short later on. Still so much to think about. Decisions would be a lot easier if we didn't love living on the lake so much.