2019 Stash Management - Page 167
Page 167 of 194 FirstFirst ... 67117157164165166167168169170177 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ren- woohoo! congrats on the finish!

I think I accomplished quite a bit yesterday but itís stuff that doesnít really show so it looks like discouragingly little was done. Todayís progress should be more visible.

SD - I scrolled on down the Pinterest page and there are some cute birdhouses there. I think before spring Iíll get a neighbor to knock down the swallow nest in the carport and make them build a new one if they want to nest there. Theyíve used this one for two years and it probably has a full house of mites or other bird parasites by now. If I have to clean house, so do they. I like having them around though. It never hurts to have insect hunters on the wing around the place.

The house cleaning has given me lots of thinking/planning time. Iím going to divide the year in quarters, starting in December, and will set cross stitch goals by three month blocks. Starting after Thanksgiving, for a big project, Iím going to work on the weird Lake Superior pattern in half cross on 18. I want to see how that goes before giving more more time to the robin or trees. Itís going to be an easy straightforward pattern and should go fairly quickly. I might get at least a couple of pages done, but no stress there. Part B is more important.

Iím going to set all the other WIPs aside and see how much I can get done on the beaded Christmas kits Iím using for presents next year. It will be more appealing to work on Christmas projects while itís still (relatively) cold. Also itís been great to have Christmas stuff done so early this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on finishing the afghan, Ren.

D, I didn't look past the first birdhouse since it looked so easy and I had most of the stuff to make a couple. I bet if you let it be known you wanted birdhouses for Christmas, some of your family would be more than happy to help Santa provide them. 🙂

Another long day here, but I got 50 more shields done, plus step 1 done on the last 50. I'll trim and turn them tonight and they will be ready whenever I have time to do them. Weather is still iffy for tomorrow. If we can't take the serger, then I might have time to sew. If we go, that's a day gone. Wednesday is food prep day, but if I buy a frozen key lime pie, I can put off making the Tortuga rum cake till Christmas. Except I really, really, REALLY want Tortuga rum cake! I make them in mini Bundt pans so they're not only rich and decadent, they're so cute. It's been yrs since I made them since they're so rich. Thursday is T-day, but I might have some time to sew in the morning, maybe enough for a run of 25. Friday I need to start the table runner. Saturday I have to make dog food. Table runner needs to be done by a wk from tomorrow. Gonna be a busy week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got 25 more shields done to the point of topstitching. I'm done for today. The last 25 are trimmed and turned, ready for the pockets to be sewn, trimmed and turned which is step 2. Then they'll be ready for topstitching and shields will be done. I should be less than 2 hrs away now. Can't wait. Total shield count will be 376. In a normal yr I would have done about 150.

I've noticed my speed picked up from so much practice. It's like being back in my contracting days when I could whiz through dozens of pairs of boots per day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congrats, Ren on finishing another afghan. I hope you enjoy your next project.

Not much going on here. I did one star this morning, and have the next one set up for tomorrow. Went out and drove around on a fool's errand. I remember now why I don't go out on Mondays, many smaller shops are closed. Like the ethnic groceries I wanted to visit.

I found a new thrift shop, and picked up a piece of carnival glass. One of these. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/71029707 They are common, and not terribly old (~50 years) so I got it cheap, but I was thrilled to find something for my collection that was in good shape. They had Corning Ware and Fire King pieces too, I had to make myself walk away. I just do not have room.

Stitch kit #2 came. It looks like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/V1wAA...uUD/s-l400.jpg The hoop is 5" and the fabric is 28 count. Not sure how well ribbon is going to work on that. I think I will start with this kit. I like the cardinal a lot, but this is more manageable right now.

I hope the weather cooperates with your plans, SD. We are not sure what we are getting here but there is a 80-100% chance of weather Thurs and Fri.

I am not sure what we are having for Thanksgiving, other than a turkey breast and cranberry salad. Guess I better figure that out tomorrow.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that blue carnival glass. I have the footed oval fruit bowl. Those reproductions were popular in the early '70s. We got my mom a set of the orange tumblers with pitcher. I also have the orange candy dish. I got my grandma"s orange set of pitcher and glasses, which is original orange carnival glass. I love it, but don't have room for much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, folks. That afgan was quite a bit of work due to me using fingering weight yarn. But it'll be worth it in the spring and fall since it's both warm and light. So, right now, I'm working on the first wool lapgan WIP. I think I will have enough yarn with what I ordered a week or so back.

So - AC Moore's going out of business. There's one in my area but I rarely went to that since it wasn't that close to me. I already have a Joann's, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby that are a lot closer. Anyone affected by AC Moore closing?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never heard of AC Moore, so I guess I'm not affected.

Hobby Lobby is supposed to be opening in the town we shop the most (50 miles). The old Herberger's is being redone for it but no signs of HL yet. ☹️

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yea! Just looked up HL and the new store opens 1/27/20. I've only been in HL twice so I'm not real familiar with them. I'm hoping the new store will help me avoid the extra 30 mile drive to go to JA on top of the 50 mile drive to our usual shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

AC Moore isn't in this area, but I have heard of them. Sad to hear they are closing because more variety and competition is a good thing in the craft and hobby business. I liked having choices between JA and Hancocks years ago. IMO HL carries too much home decor, wall art and kitchy knick-knacks.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No AC Moore around here, but people in craft groups use them. AppRently not enough though.

I got quite a bit done yesterday. I was glad to get the seasonal clothes switched around. I had to pull some winter things out during the last cold snap and that area was pretty chaotic. More cleaning today and this afternoon the HVAC guy will be by to service my unit. I ordered the gift cards for Christmas so after Thanksgiving I’ll get everything wrapped and that’s done for the year.

I’m not fond of HL and haven’t been there in a long time. I agree about the furniture and decor stuff.

There seems to be wide agreement in the cross stitch groups that Anchor black, like the white, covers better. I have a lot of patterns with a lot of black that will be done on lightbfabric. It seems to have gone up to .69 everywhere but 123 Stitch where it is still .54. I’m thinking of stocking up before that changes. I can’t get it locally.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not overly affected by AC Moore's closing although I heard that some will be taken over by Michaels. I've only been in the local Hobby Lobby once but I do recall that it seemed to lean more toward pre-made decor and nick-knacks than crafting stuff.

The local Michaels leans more towards arts related crafting stuff (to make, rather than pre-made) while the Joanns leans more towards fabrics and sewing/quilting projects. But they both have yarn and one has what the other doesn't so I'm usually covered.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have started the christmas kitty.... and will never attempt anything on 28ct again. I can barely see it, even with magnifying glasses. 18 stitches have taken over half an hour. That includes picking several out. This is a beginner kit and should be on something with larger weave.

Anyway, yesterday while I was out wandering around I browsed through one of the quilt shops I don't get to very often and I saw this fabric panel. SD, it seems perfect for you:

2019 Stash Management-img_20191125_143802649.jpg

It's a map of the whole US, all 50 states, with various wildlife in each one. Here is the info from the selvedge:

2019 Stash Management-img_20191125_143813648.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20191125_143802649.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't recall much about my first visit to HL, which was in Oklahoma about 10yrs ago, maybe. Second was in Bemidji last spring where I got some fabric for the basket covers in the camper. They did seem to have lots of decor, but a good size area of fabrics, too. I didn't have much time to look around that day, so I'm looking forward to the new one where I can take more time. We literally drive right by JA in Hibbing every time we go to GR which is more than we should, as we want to spend enough time there to see if we want to move there. I will still get to JA sometimes, but HL should make it easier to pick up some things in a more timely manner when we go for other things in the closer town. I can't say I'm really satisfied with JA either. Most of my fabric purchases involved DfG, so with that need ending, I will probably have less need for fabric stores in general. If I don't need fabrics, Amazon offers most anything else I might need. HL has a big COMING SOON sign up now, I noticed. It will be in the same mall as Aldi, right across the hwy from Menards, very convenient.

That's a pretty fabric panel, CH. Everybody on it lives in Wyoming. We have some of those animals, too, but not all.

18 ct aida is about my max, even with a lighted magnifier. It's worse if it's not daylight, too.

We dropped of the serger. Tech plugged it in and it was still dead. A bad thermocouple was mentioned, so it may not need a new motor. Other tech said he'd take it to Duluth (he runs the store there) to work on. I hope it won't take long. Really want to get all the liners done. The serger still stinks, so I hope they can figure out why. It makes me sick to use it and it stinks up the whole house.

Today was a quick trip, drop off the serger and hit 3 stores. Didn't spend much anywhere. Menards was out of the under cabinet light we need. Had to take the truck due to road conditions so couldn't get the weather stripping for our door. Again. Maybe next time.

I finished another 25 shields and sewed pockets on the last 25. I'll trim and turn the pockets tonight and should be able to finish tomorrow, I hope.

All in all, a good day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I missed that the panel was a whole map, CH. That's really nice. I wish I had a use for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found the panel on eBay. Wow, is that gorgeous! We're trying to find an excuse to buy it. LOL!