2019 Stash Management - Page 17
Page 17 of 194 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202767117 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice work, SD.

Finished skein #2 and started skein #3 on the p/g afgan. This is the first color change. I do like the combination of colors at this point. It's not long enough to cover my lap yet, although it's slowly getting there. I think tonight I'll need a fleece blanket or even the down comforter while I'm working, to deal with the chill in the air. It's just so cold (and will be brutally cold tonight into tomorrow) that the heater will have its work cut out for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope all of you stay safe and warm. I just looked at the ten day forecast and it looks like we will have a rapid warming, up to 74 one day. That’s absurd too, but on the other end of the scale.

I did a fair amount of housework done yesterday but managed to finish two more scarves. One of them was about half done from the day before.

More of the same today. Cleaning the next room and crochet.

SD - I like the ribbon with buttons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

netflix and crochet today. once the ibuprofen kicks in. allergies bugging me big time. things starting to bloom here. did stop by michaels on the way home yesterday but no tempting yarn sales. have been hearing that pantone yarn was on clearance at certain ones.

made a bunch of beaded italy flags on safety pins for my spark group and learned to make clovers out of pipe cleaners. being left handed always a challenge to teach right handed people.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

bolero jacket done to the point the bride needs to try on and see if I need to change anything. and dress taken out and to the point bride needs to try on. both pairs of pants hemmed, so it is getting my steps in and practise the piano ( and prepare for Sunday as I am playing organ for our church for the next 3 Sundays) and back to string blocks and working on DGS's fleece blanket. I am waiting to finish the CC base for after the wedding dress stuff. I want to use some of the scraps from that in the stocking and since she is so young won't remember being sort of involved in the wedding. and dishes and laundry and so forth..... ahahaha!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My heart goes out to all of you who are facing bitterly cold weather. We are having below normal temperatures as well but nothing like what people are having in other part of the country. It was 19 this morning and I bundled up to a ridiculously absurd amount.

I am in favor of all clothing being considered gender neutral. And I don't mean boring stuff like plain jeans and t shirts. I mean guys should be able to wear lace and ruffles and all the fun options that women get on their clothing without being looking down on or made fun of.

SD, I really admire the gowns you have made/are making. I know how hard it is to work with satin and silks and slippery material.

I am thinking of my boxes of fabric and fabric scraps. There is some material that is pretty, but difficult to work with. I think I may just let that go. I have all thins quilting cotton which is easy to work with. Why choose a difficult bits when I have some many easy bits to work with. Since I am only doing bears and small projects - rather than full sized quilts - I have enough to last a really long time.

I made some craft purchases. Last week when my husband and I were discussing finance, my husband noticed that we had lots of points built up on a credit card. It turns out that we could use the points for Amazon gift cards. We splurged a bit on things.

I got some embroidery pens - the type where the ink disappears with water. I got a roll of tear away stabilizer. I also got a bag of sample size pearl cotton size 8. Each roll only has 5 yards, but there are lots of yards in the package.

For embroidery, it seems like the main choices are embroidery floss (the six strand kind) and pearl cotton. The pearl cotton comes in lots of sizes but it seems like size 8 (for bold stitches) and size 12 (for delicate stitches) are the most common for embroidery. Crochet thread might work as well, but it is a little on the thick side. There are other choices too. These are just the most common. Also the ones that seem to have the most choices available.

I plan to try them and see which ones I like best. I am also contemplating mixing different thicknesses in one piece. At least one of the flowers in the stitching the seasons books has different thread thickness (strands of floss). It makes sense because flowers might have thick stems, but delicate parts.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, everyone. I'm happy I'm able to do this work for the people who will need it. I'm hoping I can donate this stuff to a hospital somewhere nearby. Then I would have a local place I wouldn't have to ship to. DfG cost me almost $50 last time, and I don't want to get into having to ship everything to everyone. I will ship to Spearfish if they want more gowns though. They do not have a NICU so only see a need during emergencies. High risk pregnancies go to Rapid City. The point being they don't need a large supply of gowns, so it's not like I would be shipping millions.

I got a lot done today but only one gown completely done. I'm way too pleased with myself about how it turned out. 😁 I love the beading on this. The colors are perfect and the design is so delicate. This skirt was the center part of the beaded bodice on the original adult gown. I have 2 smaller sections of beading from the sides of the bodice that will decorate 2 preemie gowns, after much piecing. I pieced one of them today and it turned out nice, so I will do the other one the same way. The adult gown had a peekaboo slit on the side, with a longer beaded panel under the slit. I split that into 2 sections for 2 other gowns. I almost didn't buy this gown because it didn't have much beading, but I'm so glad I did. It's working out nicely.
    2019 Stash Management-20190130_135924_1548880123724.jpg

We're up to 15 below today at 2:30 PM. We're getting some wind, too. Tonight is supposed to be the worst and then it's supposed to warm up. Forecast is supposed to be for a temp swing of 80-90 degrees, with wind chill factored in. Then of course we're supposed to get snow and maybe freezing rain. Fun times.

Saw a news report from Minneapolis today where the reporter was interviewing some guy out walking around in the cold wearing shorts. I don't get it, because no one ever interviews women walking in the cold wearing dresses. What's the diff?

Husby is one of those guys who wears what he wants, including a pink shirt with puff paint teddy bears on it and tee shirts with stuff like cute puppies on them. He also carries a purse because where else would he put all the crap he has to drag along. He's a very secure man.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful gown, SD. Love the color and the beading.

Had a squall come through around 3 pm. It only lasted about ~15 minutes but the temps have fallen 10* since then. It's going to drop to ~4* tonight and then only get into the teens tomorrow. Upside is the wind is going to drop so the wind chills won't be as bad.

Nearly couldn't get into work this morning. We had rain yesterday. While we didn't get ice, what little rain/dampness got into the doorframe of my car froze. I could unlock the door with my key fob. I just couldn't pull it open. I was able to eventually open it by getting my fingers just under the doorframe at the top and eventually tugging it. Sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A picture of me ridiculous bundled up. For temperatures that are probably not that bad for most of you.

I finished my mushroom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190130_153037456_1548890638570.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190130_075811209_1548890675274.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the mushroom turned out nicely.
    It was 19 degrees but windy when I took the dog out this afternoon. We didn't stay out long. Morning was better because there was no wind.
    I have another quilt block cut out to sew tonight. I also cut some 4.5" square blocks to store for later. It does make sense to get rid of the small scraps and neatly keep only blocks you can use later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure you weren't alone being bundled up, Kathy. Love the hat! 19 with wind and probably some dampness sounds miserable to me.

Husby had a fun afternoon when he got off work and the truck wouldn't start. Some thoughtful passerby gave him a jump before Husby even got done digging out our jumper cables.

Forecast tonight is "minus low forties" according to the TV weather nerd. I managed not to swear at him. I'm just resigned to my fate. We could lose heat by morning. Hope not.

Still looking forward to sewing the teal gowns tomorrow. I think they're really aqua. I don't think I will get them done, but I hope to finish up Friday. Then I want to drag out the bear paw quilt and do a little bit with that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you didn't lose heat, SD. The bundling amused me, Kathy. I think a friend would want to steal your bear hat if he saw it. I bundled up last night as well. (No hat though.)

It was 2* this morning when I was on my way to work. Thankfully, I didn't need the down comforter last night. I just layered up a few blankets, including a couple of wool afgans I made for myself. It's been a weird up-n-down situation with the temps this year. So having the ability to adjust the layers of blankets is better.

About halfway through skein #3 on the p/g afgan. This is taking longer than the first two, probably because I worked on them over the weekend (meaning more hours). But it's coming out nicely. Still not long

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - stay warm. EVeryone else too. K - congrats on finishing the mushroom. Looks good. We’re at 48 right niw, may get to low 50s this afternoon. The forecast for Monday has gone up to 76. With such cold and warm air I hope there isn’t a big tornado outbreak when they meet.

Sharon may be out here sometime this weekend so I’m going to crochet like mad today and tomorrow and finish as many scarves as I can. I think I have six finished, maybe seven, and the current one is about half finished. I used some solid yarn, but I’m going back to the variegated to keep chipping away at that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heat is still on. In fact, I turned on the fireplace. Chester and Storm are basking. Storm has his neck draped over poor Chester, squishing him. It's hard to remember now the 3 months of hell and chaos when the dogs moved in and would not stop attacking cats. Sure glad they all finally adjusted. As a bonus, we can now keep the dogs from attacking squirrels by yelling "NO KITTY!" I'm not sure how cold it got overnight. Probably around -40 plus wind chill. Luckily, not much wind.

I finished another gown and bonnet. I'm not sure I like the gold flowers but it's the only thing I have that even remotely goes with the lace, which came from a yellow adult gown. Otherwise, I like how it turned out. I've spent a lot of time today cutting odds and ends of gowns and bonnets. Things should speed up now since most of the prep is done. I plan to use up the entire big gown so will have more little gowns to sew when the current batch is done, but not many and not as detailed.
    2019 Stash Management-20190131_115645_1548960004680.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should have said the lace on the gown above is more gold than the white it looks in the pic. It coordinates nicely with the aqua. That's why I put the gold flowers on it. They go nicely with the lace. It's not the color of the flowers I don't like, it's their pointy little bases. They don't sit as flat as I would like. I got another gown done, the one on the right. The one on the left is the one I finished yesterday, with the bow actually attached.
    2019 Stash Management-20190131_171531_1548977603220.jpg

Husby told his supervisor today he plans to retire between mid-March and early June. I sure hope we've done all our math right.

It looks like our overnight low will only get down to 19 below, so it's warming up. Of course that means it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Luckily, it'll only be a 1-3" nuisance snowfall.

I see on the news Hell froze over in Michigan. But it was colder than Hell here, so I don't see the big deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD you did not report how husby liked the wolf quilt. I assume you gave it to him already.
    I sewed 2 quilt blocks last night and messed up the first one, had to rip out final 2 seams and re-do. 2nd one went smoothly. I'm distracted by the car problems and impending job changeover to new company tomorrow Feb 1. Have to pick new health insurance.