2019 Stash Management - Page 172
Page 172 of 194 FirstFirst ... 72122162169170171172173174175182 ... LastLast
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 2906
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a little bit done. Hands don't want to loosen up today, it's cold. Opened the package with the two new refurbished kits, they look fine, just like new. One has the smaller weave fabric, so I put that aside immediately. The other has larger weave fabric but it is huge, at least 12" wide, I will have to check auction description. So I put that away for now, too.

Marked the fabric for the cardinal stitch kit. My blue washable pen is giving up its last. So that is done and I can start when my hands want to cooperate again.

Realized that the dance group christmas party is this weekend, so I NEED to finish those last two pouches for gifts. Got one pinned up and ready to sew.

We get menards ads every week, so I can keep an eye on their sales. They are a bit out of the way for me, though. There is another hardware store here which does that store rebate/credit thing so I am familiar with how it works.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a felt poinsettia to pin to the knit hat and packaged it for mailing. I went thru boxes looking for yellow pipe cleaners to make more poinsettias. I KNOW I have them but cannot find. Found other stuff to make use of through. I have a cross-stitch that is nearly finished (baby-type gift) and correct floss to finish it so that is "on deck". That baby has probably graduated college by now. Think of something else to do with the finished piece, but at least FINISHED. Did not go to the park hike but took the dog on a long walk through a new/different neighborhood - massive houses and nice decorations. Free entertainment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope your hands feel better, CH. Other places like the hardware store you mentioned, might offer suitable tool totes as well.

DLR, sounds like a pretty hat with the poinsettia. I hate when I can't find stuff, so I feel your pain.

Hand sewing sucks. It's why I've in ested tjousands of dollars in power tools. But the torture is over now. I just have to press the runner and de-hair it with a sticky roller, I can send it out to Massachusetts to start its new life.

Tomorrow I can work with my new serger again. The tech added some new oil while he was replacing the faulty part, so I'm curious if that helped the smell any.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes it does matter how the customers are for sure. and if the stores are set up well.

remembered fabricland was having a really good sale ..turns out for everyone not just members and I just renewed the membership when dd was waiting inline for fabric cutting. she got 4 meters of some fancy polar fleece for $11 a meter. was $22 a meter. she wants to make another cape. birthday money from grandma gone fast. we didn't have much time since kids had dentist appts. my allergy pill had worn off so had a sinus thing going on so just wasn't into shopping. not that my sewing machine works. reverse didn't work and now dd says it only sews in reverse so.. yes can't just go and sew. kids...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like everyone was busy this weekend.

I was pretty lazy this weekend, although I did get quite a bit done on one of the wool lapgans. I finished two skeins on it and started skein #3. It looks like the four skeins I planned on using for it will definitely be enough. (I have enough for a second wool lapgan as well.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m finally back to stitching. I did some on the Noel last night. I’ll continue that today and should be able to get quite a bit done.

After all the rich Thanksgiving food and leftovers, it’s time for plain and simple. I’m soaking large lima beans, my favorite, to cook after while. I even have some bacon to go in them. Good solid southern cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, fabric prices are why most of what I buy anymore comes from thrift stores. It's crazy at fabric stores, and quality isn't what it used to be either. At least you don't have tariffs tacked on to the prices there.

Ren, there's always more yarn. Or fabric. Or cross stitch. Or books to read.

D, glad you're able to settle back into working on your first love. Now that I'm done trimming and turning shields in the evenings, I want to do some cross stitch, too.

I was shocked to see a pileated woodpecker at our feeders today. Poor guy must be really hungry. They've never come to feeders before.

Got the runner all done and ready to go, just have to write a card and put the address on the pkg. Glad it's done and turned out nice. I hope it's not too big. 2019 Stash Management-20191202_100459_1575304017443.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the runner. I hope to do something like that sometime. I need to finish these quilts. I'm going to get one finished for sure. That's my goal anyway. I've seen quite a few projects I'd like to do in the future.

I'm still trying to get the quilt done. Haven't worked on it much this past week. Dh has been home and dgd has been here quite a bit. She comes over a lot when papa is home. So I couldn't work on the quilt. I guess I could have gotten the backing put together, but oh well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I hope you get your quilts done. We have 6 days less than usual though, due to T-day being so late this yr.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the parts cut for Mom's birdhouses. Can't believe it's December already. Christmas is 3 wks from Wednesday, so I need to get those going. Besides, it's warm today, 27. It's going to take several days just to paint them due to drying time.

I serged 25 liners, mostly on the old serger. The new one is puckering the fabric, which I'm fairly sure is operator error. I can't put my finger on the problem and of course the book is no help. It seems to work okay on straight areas, then bunches up on the curves. The old one did that for a while too, hence operator error. Seemed to be better after I slowed down. I hate slowing down. I'm also having trouble judging exactly where the new serger cuts. It's not on the edge of the foot, but about 1/4" in where I can't see it. Frustrating. I should not be struggling with that machine for this long. It's especially annoying because I can tell I'll like it once I get past the learning curve.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I decided to go out today, it was just too sunny to stay inside. Last night I realized I had some extra herb/spice gift sets around, I could take one of those as my white elephant christmas exchange tomorrow. Mostly seasonings with pepper or cayenne that DH can't eat, maybe someone else will like it.

While I was out I went by one of the asian import stores --closed on Monday-- but next door in the old shopping center was a pop-up flea market, so I stopped to have a look. Lot of glass and china, some books, tools, odds and ends. They had a good amount of corning ware, a whole huge set in cornflower blue. There were big signs up saying "60% off today only" which I am sure have been up for a week. Anyway, I found this and was sorely tempted:

2019 Stash Management-img_20191202_135603929.jpg

DH said to get it, so I did. I have no idea where I will put it. There was a matching oval bowl, about 12" long for similar (60% off) price.

But what really caught my eye was a cute little white edged candy dish in the dot pattern I bought last year. It was by the register and I asked about it, because it had no sticker. Similar pieces were marked $3-4. The guy running the register said "we're using it to hold candy". So I nicely said "I'd like to buy it", since these people were obviously here to sell as much of their crap as possible and move on in a short time. And the place was full of other little candy bowls they could have replaced it with. He looked at me for a moment and said "Forty dollars." The couple checking out ahead of me started choking and laughing. I just put the dish down and walked away. I'll go back later this week and see if someone who isn't an asshole will sell it to me.

I got a copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul for under a buck and will include that with the spices.

Jettsmom, hope you get some time to work on your quilt this week. I hope I do, too.

SD, your runner looks quite nice, I hope your friends like it. You'll get the hang of the new serger soon enough.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love that blue carnival glass. I have the oval bowl. I use it as a fruit bowl in the fridge sometimes. It's a reproduction from the 70s. I got it at a garage sale at a house we had looked at a few months before, and I had seen the bowl in the house then and been tempted to offer $10 for it, but knew the owner was in crisis and didn't want to bother her. We knew the nephew of the owner, and when we saw they were having the sale, we asked him if the bowl was going to be on the sale. He called his parents who were an hr from opening the sale, and they said to come right over and get the bowl, so we did. They had it marked $5. Everything was very cheap. Mom was furnishing her new townhouse and we bought a truckload for her before the sale even opened, with their encouragement. I regret to this day not buying the Singer Featherweight they had for $50. At the time I had never heard of them and didn't need another machine. (Like that ever stops me.) I was enlightened shortly thereafter, but of course it was too late.

Sounds like you had fun, CH, in spite of the asshole. Hope you can get the candy dish at a reasonable price.

I think I might buy a clear foot for the new serger. Tech suggested loosening up the pressure on the foot and that seemed to help. Wonder if that has anything to do with the puckering though. Will have to check. He also said it might be because the feed dogs are new and not worn down at all and/or because the feed dogs are wider than the old serger. I think the worst is there's no margin to trim off on 2 sides of the liners, so I have to line up those sides perfectly without being able to see them, so the stitching is all on the fabric without trimming anything off. I end up with loops hanging over and that's unacceptable. I don't have much trouble sewing neat curves on scraps where fabric is being trimmed off. I might drag my serger along to Duluth and see if anyone there has any advice. Wonder if it will fit in the file box with the lid on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Table runner turned out very nice.
    I made 2 poinsettia pins last night using a red pipe cleaner instead of yellow. Good enough and easy to fix if I ever find the yellow ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got one of my zip pouches sewn up last night, all but the hand stitching and the zipper pull dangle charm. One more to go. Also took apart the earring and replaced the mis-shapen bead. Now I need to scrounge up a small gift box. I know I have some around.

Not going to worry too much about the candy dish. If it is anchor hocking like I think it is, there will be others. I did notice yesterday that nothing they had was very old or valuable. It had been well sorted out. No depression glass, no jadeite, no Frankoma ware, no Japanese lusterware, no Fiesta, no Avon, etc. They must sell the good stuff to antique shops or dealers.

What's everyone working on today?

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, DLR. Glad you could get your pins done.

Good going on the bags, CH. I know you've been working on those a while.

I've been working on liners today and got 101 of them packed up. 50 left to go. I might do those yet today since they don't take long and it would be nice to wrap up another big portion of this project. Both sergers seem to be working well but still puckering. I think that might have to do with how I'm manipulating fabric going around the corners, since both of them are doing it. I'm finally getting the hang of using the new one, I think. I did 30 or 40 liners on it and only had 3 or so that needed some improvement. Much better than almost all of them needing correction. The suitcase is almost full, just the last brick of 50 to get done and put in its reserved spot. I do still plan to get the bags done, but if I don't, that'll be okay too. Total count on the liners should be 301.

New serger still stinks but it's vastly improved. Tech said it was run nonstop for half an hour after service to make sure it worked, wouldn't overheat, etc, so no doubt that helped some of the smell burn off. He also added some new oil, which again probably helped. I think the smell will go away in time. That's another reason I want to get the bags done. Lots of serger-tunities making those. I have a couple months of warranty left and want to put a few miles on to make sure everything is okay, as much as I can.