2019 Stash Management - Page 173
Page 173 of 194 FirstFirst ... 73123163170171172173174175176183 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on the first wool lapgan. It covers my legs but not my feet yet. I do miss having the length of the afgan while working on it since it's gotten cold recently. But it's nice to work on something that's going so quickly after how long it took with the wool-blend afgan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Liners are done! There was a miscount somewhere and the last run had 54, for a total of 305, more than twice what I planned to donate this winter. But there's no point in me keeping this stuff, and I know these kits are needed all over the world so might as well move it all out and let it be put to good use.

I also glued and screwed the roof pieces for Mom's birdhouses, and drilled holes in the dowels for the threaded rods that will hold each house together. The rods go into the dowels to form a perch under the entry into the birdhouse. I'm hoping hot glue will hold the rods in the dowels well enough. Once I get the holes drilled in various parts, final assembly should take minutes. It really is a simple pattern. Then it'll be just sand, prime, and paint. She will be happy to get them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like finished projects are rolling out at quite a clip! I’ll have one today. I’m nearly finished with the Noel and should be able to easily polish it off today. It’s been a quick, rather simple minded project since it only uses one color, but I have to admit I’m getting a little tired of 820.

The best thing about Christmas is the music and I listened to almost none last year. All I have is on CDs and my CD player, just an old fashioned boombox, died in the spring. A few nights ago I dragged out the CDs, and found a replacement player at Amazon warehouse. Instead of a couple of dollars off, the usual, this one had about $15 off, but was listed as like new condition, for $20. That’s coming today. So when I start the Santa kit, I’ll break out the music.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's sunny and warm here today but I am achy and not motivated to do much. I will putter around and do little things, and undoubtedly drink a lot of tea.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well off for another round of spending more and saving more. A bit of contradiction I suppose, but when my husband makes a big purchase I tend to follow up with talking to him more about saving. Well to be fair, I have established that him talk to me before making a big purchase. This nice was a cyber Monday deal on a new TV.
    But since he handles all the finance for us, he always says "I checked the numbers and it is okay."

But we are talking about putting more in our TSP accounts which is like an IRA but for government employees. At one point the maximum contribution was 10% of your salary. I did not realize this but back in 2006 the % max was dropped. Now it is just a flat number amount regardless of what you make. The amount for 2020 is $19,000. Plus since we are over 50 we can also contribute another $6,500 a year for a total of $26,000 a year. Each. I don't think we could quite pull that off. But we can certainly go beyond the 10% we are contributing now. I do not like saying how much I make, but I will say the max is above 10% of our income by quite a bit.

The details are yet to be decided.

It is time to balance standard of living now with hypothetical future standard of living. I told my husband I want to save more, but not to the point where we can't get nice things once and while.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not much progress on the quilt. I did lay it out to measure, so I can cut the backing. I got as far as getting the cutting mat, ruler and fabric out and figuring the sizes for the pieces. Now to actually start cutting. Life has been so crazy the past week with dh's mom passing away. I try to work on it to keep my mind off the chaos.

Dgd came over last night and wanted to do some more decorating. I just don't have it in me to put the tree up right now, so I found some foam ornaments in my mess and she had a blast putting them together. They were just peel and stick. Then she went in the room looking for something else and found my little bag of pom poms and wanted to do something with that. I cut some circles out of some foam and gave her the glitter glue and she had some fun with that too. Yeah getting rid of more stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the table runner ready and Husby shipped it off.

No progress on the birdhouses, but I made a couple templates for the DfG bags and got 6 done except for ribbons, with 17 more in various stages. I'm going to do all the ribbons when all the bags are done, so I only have to drag out the hot knife once. The templates are a big help and do seem to speed things up. I also put the steps for construction in a more logical order and implemented a couple shortcuts. And I dispensed with the finger-burning and completely unnecessary step of turning under and pressing 1/4" on the ends of the bag which get serged and hemmed anyway. Pointless. Making bags is almost fun now. It seems like runs of about 10 or 12 is a nice amount to work with at once

The smell from my serger seems to be disappearing. Can't happen fast enough for me, but at least it's better.

Another good day with lots of progress, although it might not seem like it just to read about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The last of the 12 zip bags is done. Done. I was just finishing that when the nurse called and got me set up to get a steroid shot tomorrow, so yay! I've just about had it with this flare-up. Was able to get in about 40 minutes of stitching on the new kit. The thread on this one is much longer than I'm used to, 2ft or more. My knees started to hurt from sitting for so long. But it is started. I'm going to alternate between that and the quilt for the rest of the year. Hope to get the blocks assembled by christmas.

Going by HL tomorrow. DH needs a spray can of something and a timer for the holiday lights. We seem to be short one every year.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The woman I mailed the hat and hand warmers to on Monday called to thank me tonight and we chatted a bit. I offered to make more but she said she would be fine. I'll finish the hat I'm working on, it's really a nice shade of pale rose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you'll get some relief tomorrow, CH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, that sounds like a nice gift to your friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

everyone's projects look so nice! that guy was an ass think it is just the mood of middle aged guys lately. here you don't find fabrics in thrift stores much. think last time I saw some was a church rummage sale that had a lot of craft stuff. kinda one off thing. sad though when it is someones old projects etc. like being in value village and you can tell someone died or went in a home because all the stuff. value village even sell yarn more then michaels! even the vintage 70s stuff. like seriously when it says 99 cents on the label and marked 6.99. thinking losing mil and the season is making me more sad. we have a lot of the things mil made. she did a bunch of xmas things in the 90s and early 2000s. didn't sleep well because feels like dd gave me her cold. you know where every cell aches. feel better after curry from food court.

need to get used to working early and more days. my old job was more 12 to 6 though this job is flexible more during the time I would have time to myself. dh and I were at lowes last night got paint for kitchen and a on sale snowman inflatable family. today I drove my friend to doc appt and we went though the mall and value village. she is the one who dislocated her hip so can walk with breaks but no driving. clinic was at walmart so I got jeans for dh for xmas and his cheap choc covered cherries. there was a blue and silver dragon onesie in the mens dept so got it for dd. loves dragons.

of course looked at yarn and they actually had marked down mandala ..took years to get it to canada $8 a skein this was marked down to $3 plus I got a bernet because of colour. label had been marked down to $5 before. this doesn't happen here. not that i needed the yarn but... we had 20% coupons so went to a value village near walmart I haven't been for years. lots of stuff but more junky. found a sweatshirt pullover for ds. he isn't thrilled w it but who cares classic grey and style. and roots brand. a cinderella doll and a bag of little xmas stuff. not much happening w crafting but need to get the blanket done. realized I have a fuzzy scarf I can give them too. 2019 Stash Management-cheap.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice yarn finds, M. Don't find quilt fabric or nice stuff in thrift stores here. Lots of shops, lots of quilters. People have friends or guilds to give it to when they want to get rid of it. The quilt show 'yard sales' are good sometimes.

I see my guild is having a holiday party on Monday. I'm already attending 2 this weekend, so I may skip it. 12" holiday block exchange.... means I'd have to sew something... and then I'd have a random quilt block. Regular monthly quilt bee is the 16th, I can wait for that.

They are doing a new mystery quilt. Not sure if I want to start one. Here is the first set of instructions. https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2019...ry-part-1.html Won't know what it looks like until the end. Wouldn't be using raspberry and blue, though. May wait until we're a couple of weeks in to see what is involved and what colors I have that would look good. Or what I have the most of. I really want to get some existing projects done first.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mystery quilt blog seems unnecessarily complicated. She wants you to do 144 squares this week? Seems like a lot.

I'll be a bag lady again today. Hope to get at least 25 done. I have another dz or so cut, but after seeing them again, it seems like the fabric might be too thin. I might trash that and just use something else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on the wool lapgan. I think I'm a little worn out from getting the gray afgan done. At least it was for myself and I've been using it. And the lapgan is coming along pretty quickly.

I probably won't get any crocheting done around Christmas. I'm going to see my Dad for a few days. I haven't seen him in three years, although I do call him nearly every day. Then again, I will have to deal with my siblings. I'm closest to my next oldest sister but I'll have to deal with the oldest sister (and brother) as well. There's nothing really wrong with them. I just have no patience for them.