2019 Stash Management - Page 174
Page 174 of 194 FirstFirst ... 74124164171172173174175176177184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jettsmom - Iím sorry to hear of your MILís passing. If you mentioned it earlier, I missed the post.

I finished the Noel. (I donít know why autocorrect always capitalizes that but I donít care enough to fix it.) Iíll get a picture up after I get it trimmed and pressed. Last night I got out the gift Santa kit and separated all the thread. I had forgotten they are done on 18, which is doubtless why the tree took so long. Even on a 5x5 that takes lot more stitches than usual, and all the beading slows things down. Iím going to cut a larger piece of fabric for this from stash so I can use a larger hoop. I also need to separate all the beads. There are 11 different kinds used in the pattern. Iíll get that started today.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ren, hope you get through the family visit with no drama or trauma. Funny how we can be so closely related to people and rub each other the wrong way.

Another sunny day, though it may cloud up and rain later. I am going to use the morning sun for sewing.

SD, I think the mystery quilt is done intentionally to keep you guessing what the pattern will be. She is a professional quilter and teacher so she is teaching methodology as well. Make the 4-patch and do enough to get good at it rather than try to make one block at a time. The strips will go fast if you do them like she says. I found the blog post with the other color choices, whites, light aqua and light green. It all looks good together, but I'm still not convinced I want to use raspberry. Here's a pic from a previous years project. They probably started the same way, bunch of 4-patches, then a bunch of triangles, different colors, and assembly last. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/41869471516287907/ There should be a new clue posted today and I bet it is triangles.

Feeling better today, go figure. Still want to get that shot, though.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have had the same experience with yarn in the thrift stores here too. And I don't think I have ever found yardage in a thrift store either. Although to be fair, I really do not go to thrift stores that often even though that is where I get most of my clothes. I tend to repair and alter things to keep clothes going for as long as I can.

I have relatives I am not particularly close to as well. There is this family dynamic where eat out at their favorite places, talk about topics that interest them, etc. I think they are aware that me husband and I have very different tastes and interests than them. But they feel we should be "considerate" of them. It becomes stressful even though there is no out and out meanness.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry about your MIL, Jettsmom.

Spell check was created to be annoying.

I guess I'm of the opinion that if instructions are being written for beginners, that's all the more reason to keep things as simple and plainly written as possible. But it seems to work for her, the way it sounds. What I read just seemed confusing with too much extraneous commentary, but we are all different in our approaches to both learning and teaching.

I got 12 bags done, 13 more about half done, 9 more cut, and sorted the ones I was thinking about not using. I think those will be okay after all. There are maybe 10 of those. IIRC, the total is around 44. Be glad when they're done and packed away in the suitcase, ready to go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Worked on pinwheels this morning for a while. Have not counted, but it is progress.

SD, that woman writes a blog and books and lectures for a living, so it pays to be wordy. People want something chatty to read, and want to feel like they are her best friend sitting in her sewing room. I'm like you, just want to scroll down and find the actual directions and measurements. I'm like that with recipe sites. Don't care what inspired you or when your 3 year old gets out of day care, just give me the ingredient list. In a couple months those quilt instructions will be taken down and she will re-write them more concisely and offer it for sale as a PDF. Meanwhile, if you want to participate there are social media channels you can follow. (No, I'm not either) And, of course my quilt guild is going to be following it. Probably going to be half a dozen or more of these quilts made and hanging in the quilt show next fall.

I got my shot, and went to Hobby Lobby, figured out what DH needed.... and some clearance fabric fell in my cart... along with some 1.99 patterns.... went to the grocery store, and now I'm ready for a good nap. And coffee. The shot has not kicked in, I still hurt, so laying down might be a good idea. But not drinking coffee (while laying down).
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a start on the Santa and remembered another reason it was so slow. Itís dark blue 18 count. Itís almost the same color as the 820, so itís a little easier than navy and black, but not by much. Iíve decided Iím not going to go back to the big ones until after the first of the year, but I will need something for a break from this. I pulled out another Christmas kit. The red antique car with the blue gray house and lots of snow. On white. On 16. Itís also a very easy pattern. I wonít get it finished this month but it will be a welcome change from the Santa that isnít an easy pattern.

CH - I hope the shot gets you feeling better soon.

This is the Santa.

https://www.123stitch.com/item/Santa...-Kit/JS30-4102

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dark blue is hard for me to work on, too. I have to have bright daylight to embroider on darks. I w pi nder if a full spectrum daylight bulb would help.

Ha! Oh, yeah it can pay to be wordy! I sure was when I was writing short fiction and paid by the word! LOL! That was some of the best money I ever made, per hour, thanks to selling almost every story I wrote. That, and sewing boots per piece. Hope you feel better, even without coffee.

Nothing more done on the bags or birdhouses, but I'm set up to work on both tomorrow. At least I got a pot of minestrine made so we have decent suppers the next couple nights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The mystery quilts look interesting, but I do not think I would want to participate in one. Individual tastes very. What one person things is a wonderful pattern, I might think is kind of meh. If I put all that time into it, I want to be able to know up front if it is a pattern I really like.

Well, not like I have done any quilting for awhile. But it is on my retirement list. It occurs to me that between embroidery, stuffed animals and dolls, jigsaw puzzles and games I might still be too busy to get back to quilting. And that is not counting things like going to museums, the zoo, and other local attractions. I also want to get back to zentangle/drawing. I could maybe squeeze some of that in before retirement.

There is a part of me that feels like drawing and zentangle are good candidates for life long interests. They are do anywhere hobbies and are pretty cheap. I see my mother in a rest home and think of how very little space she has for her things. And I think that could be me some day. So that back of my mind thinks of hobbies I have that could take up very little space. Drawing would be one. I just need paper and a pencil or pen. In worse care scenario I could beg some off the nursing staff. I can fit quite a bit of thread into a small space. Since I do more free style embroidery, it would be feasible to work with what ever colors I have left.

I am not sure why my thought go in such a direction. My mom did not have to go into the rest home till she was over 80. I am only 51 and I eat a much healthier diet than my mom. So we are talking about maybe 30 years from now. And there are now age in place provisions to let people live in their home longer. There is also assisted living centers which are similar to rest homes except you have a whole apartment instead of a tiny room.

And it is kind of ridiculous that I am thinking about this now.

I should be focusing more on my life in the here and now, i.e. my life before retirement. I should just decide how much to contribute toward my retirement fund, then not think about retirement for a while.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I agree. If it is a project I am going to put a lot of work into I want to know how it is going to turn out, and I want to be able to choose the right fabrics. This week's instructions are for more strips. Still waiting to see how it turns out. I have seen some really beautiful Mystery quilts and I have seen some that would have benefitted from one or two changes of color or placement.

Meanwhile I have enough to work on. Here is the fabric I bought yesterday. Happened upon the center "London" print in clearance. It is a very pale pink, there was just over a yard left. My nieces wanted London and Paris quilts for christmas. Well, they're not getting them but they might get pillow cases. I found the "Paris" print @40% off, and the neutral, too.

2019 Stash Management-img_20191206_110534075.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've decided I want to get back to writing after Christmas. I have a first draft WIP nearly finished that has gotten positive feedback in some contests I've entered it in, so it has publication potential. I also want to rejoin RWA Kiss of Death chapter and maybe Outreach which is for those of us without a local chapter. Outreach has global membership, which makes it extra interesting. These books won't write themselves, and I've been away from writing so long I'll basically be starting from scratch because so much has changed since I was an active writer, and my network is gone, too. I think about the published writers I knew, contacts I had in the music industry and on TV shows, publishers, agents, etc, and it makes me sick now. All gone. I don't have unpubbed writer friends anymore either, or my loyal and wonderful beta readers, my critters who helped me so much and made me a better writer, the list goes on and on. It's just me, and it will be a daunting task to rebuild all that. Luckily RWA is there to help with all that. I almost dumped my membership in July, butdecided on the last day to renew. Good thing.

This means I have to clean up my office, which is so cluttered I can't even walk through it. The whole cabin needs to be purged and organized. That probaby won't happen, but it will be straightened up at least. I still don't have TV, internet, or phone out there and can't run any cables till spring, but maybe we can do something to get wireless internet out there. I have 2 cell phones I can use out there for now. Lots to do, but there always will be. I've missed being out there. It's such a great place to write and I need to take advantage again.

Got the birdhouses all done except paint. I'm waiting for some glue to dry before the paint. I might wait till Mother's Day to give them to her, or shortly before. It's unusual she mentions anything she wants, so that would be a good springtime gift. We did not plan on any Black Friday shopping but since we were there, I picked up a small electric frying pan we know she wants, and we have some other small items for Christmas, too. It would be nice to finish up the birdhouses now and have them ready, so I don't have to build or do anything right when we're ramping up our own outside work. Seems like a better plan.

Got 9 more labels pinned on bags before I got distracted by the unfinished birdhouses, but not sewed yet. Still want to finish 13 bags and the 9 labels today. I'm losing interest in the bags now that I'm about to obsess about my office, so need to get the entire DfG project done before I start out there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those fabrics are wonderful for the London and Paris lovers! Lucky finds! I love when that happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found 2 colors of floss needed for the unfinished cross-stitch, just back-stitching. Still knitting the pink hat, about 4-5" now.
    Dog club is in the Alexandria VA Christmas parade tomorrow morning, it's a huge deal every year. I got a ride with another member so I don't have to drive. Parking is terrible because of the attendance. 4 adults and 2 dogs in a Camry, that should be a hoot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went to town for a grocery pick up today. Had late lunch and messed about on YouTube and just got the last of the groceries in. Tomorrow is kitchen day - dishes, putting things away, and cooking. I got a ham about a week ago that I’ve been putting off cooking. I’ll see what else to do to fill up the oven. Roasted potatoes for sure.

So now it’s time to get to real life - cross stitching.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The parade sounds fun. Hope the dogs are small. Our dearly departed Sota ☹️ was supposed to be in a parade, but we came to see him at the shelter the day before and decided to take him. The shelter director was relieved he wouldn't be in the parade, because he was so pretty she knew they'd be swamped with calls about him. He really was a gorgeous boy.

I got 12 bags sewed, ribbon put in 12, and 9 labels sewed and then those 9 bags serged. I have 12 more that just need ribbons. Hey, I didn't notice a smell from the serger today! Progress! I'm starting to really like that serger. Since I'm getting the hang of using it, about the only thing I don't like about it now is its useless light.

I was sewing away on bags today and happened to look up toward the top of my stack of flat totes, up at the ceiling. At a JA bag full of fabric. And I remembered the last batch of DfG fabric. The stuff I bought right before finding out I had to join a chapter. I knew it had seemed like I was missing some fabric, but couldn't remember what it was. I didn't recall till I saw that bag that I had stuffed it on the top tote because it wouldn't fit in its tote where it belonged, with the other DfG stuff. So I hauled it down to look it over. There's 15 freakin' yards! MY ACHIN' HEAD! Luckily only a couple yds is flannel. I might just sew the strips together and cut them, and let C do the last serging. She said she likes doing them during her TV time. She doesn't sew, only serges. The rest of it would make nice kit bags. I'm going to do that with it. I like making a few bags now and then, and I still have lots of labels and ribbon. I might make a few from it now, but most of it I'll keep to be done later. Still can't believe I couldn't remember that fabric. I bought it only a few weeks ago. Oh, well, it will work out nicely to have some bag fabric on hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LOL! I've lost a few things in my sewing room from time to time. 15 yds would be enough to back a couple of large quilts. Just sayin'.

While cleaning up today I found the christmas cross stitch kit I bought last year. You know, the one I was searching for back in October to take with me to Florida. It was on my desk, I've been staring at it all year.

I sewed 8 pinwheels today, which brings me to 31 out of the 50 I need. I'm going to need to cut a lot more triangles this weekend. Have pulled out some candidate fabric for the next lot.

Also did a little stitching. Not much to show yet, just some scattered blobs of green.

Dlr, hope you have great weather for the parade.

Use it up, Wear it out,