2019 Stash Management - Page 175
Page 175 of 194 FirstFirst ... 75125165172173174175176177178185 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, but the fabric was RIGHT THERE, not hidden or anything. Gaaahhh. Some days. I know what you mean about stuff being obvious though. Happens here all the time. That, and losing something we had in our hands 5 seconds before.

I thought about quilt backing, too. But I don't have many quilt projects and have backing for at least 3 king size quilts. I'm still thinking about it, which is one reason I'm not in a hurry to make bags. But mostly it's because I'm already sick of making bags. I might quit after I finish the 9 I started today. That would give me a total of 33. Okay, you talked me into keeping it for now at least.

In a couple days we're supposed to have wind chills around -40. It's only early December. It's too early to be this cold. Good thing we like staying home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - and here it’s been unseasonably warm. I still have all the bulbs I bought sitting in the fridge and I want them out. But with the temps still pretty consistently getting into the 70s the ground is still quite warm. The first rain they might decide it was already spring.

The Facebook cross stitch group I recently joined is full of information. I’ve learned more about the Chinese brands of floss. I had gotten some to try through Amazon or eBay and didn’t really like it, and the supposed DMC color match wasn’t. But the ones who use it like the CXC brand. I went to the review by a designer who had experimented. He found that the 100% cotton (Royal something) wasn’t colorfast and broke easily, though some stitchers really like it. The CXC, a poly cotton blend was colorfast, tended to knot, but by using shorter strands that was not a problem. It was also thicker than DMC for better coverage. The color match was good. A few were off a little but not enough to matter, and no more than DMC itself sometimes varies. It is also much cheaper, of course, than DMC. He concluded that he was still using DMC, but that both of these other brands were ok. There are also suggestions from the group of which vendors they have had good success with, where you can specify the brand and buy the colors individually, though that might run as much as .15 a skein, from a low of .08 - lol.

My conclusion: I will continue to use DMC for all my normal patterns, but I am going to try the CXC for the big full coverage patterns that take a boatload of floss. I still want to experiment with doing them in half cross, and the bit of extra thickness should help. So after the first of the year I will pick out a couple of the relatively smaller ones and order the floss to try one with half cross on 25, one on 18. In the meanwhile, I won’t run out of anything to do!

I have some qualms of conscience deliberately buying Chinese direct, and all things being equal would rather support France than China for floss. But things are not always equal and everyone has to make a living no matter where they live. Politics is one thing, but in the end, people are just people, doing their best or what they have to do. I don’t want to start a controversy and that’s all I’ll say about it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's sunny and may get into the high 40's today. DC, plant the bulbs while you can. The air might be 70 but the ground will be colder and in my experience bulbs know when it's time to bloom. The leaves might peek up early, but they will know if it is to cold to keep growing and will be just fine.

DH broke the large glass terarrium/vase I bought yesterday so we have to go back today and get another while they are half price. So goodbye sewing day, because it will take hours with two of us. He wants to cut up some more of the redbud, too, and we don't have many daylight hours to get stuff done.

It's supposed to get cold here next week, too. Fall is just about over.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The parade was fun. It was really crowded in the car. My dog rode in the rear seat footwell with me in the seat. No place to put my feet down. My muscles will let me know about that tomorrow. He did really well, jumped right in the car when asked, did not try to bolt or get away from loud noises or strange objects. One other dog (don't know the owners) barked constantly the whole time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think, in a global marketplace, it's impossible to be 100% "pure" from a political standpoint when it comes to shopping. Things are too complex and sometimes it's impossible to even know where an item comes from.

Sorry about the broken terrarium, CH, but at least the sale is still good.

Glad your doggy was so well behaved, DLR. We felt the same when ours did well on our trip to IL/MO. Sometimes they can be so unpredictable especially in new situations.

I was lucky today. I thought of a piece of fabric in the middle of the night last night. I figured I could make a few bags from it, like maybe 4. I dragged it out this morning and was reminded it was 52" wide x 4-5 yds, way bigger than I remembered. I got 16 bags from it and got the labels pinned on and ready to sew.

I also put the ribbons in another 12 bags, so got 24 bagged and in the suitcase.

I cut and serged the edges of the narrow flannel strips for more liners, then cut the wider strips, pinned everything possible together, sewed them, and cut 38 liners. I bagged those and stuffed them in the suitcase for C to serge. Given all the trouble I've been having serging liners the past 6 months, I'm very done with wanting to mess with them.

I sewed the side seams on the 9 bags in progress and the casings on 1 before someone started yelling at me that it was lunch time. I haven't gotten back to those yet. Once I get those done plus the 16 I cut today, I will have 49 bags for my new chapter, a well stuffed suitcase, lots of yardage out of my sewing room, and all my own DfG fabric sewn up. Still can't believe I got so much done so fast.

My friend loves the table runner. Glad that's done, too.

Another busy day here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, we got stuff done after all. I cut a bunch of triangles, sewed and ironed them. I need ~10 pinwheels of each kind. I think I will still have some cutting to do after I sew this batch. DH sawed up some more tree, not sure how much but he showed me a picture of some logs. Will have to figure out how to split them. Don't have an axe and don't think my joints could handle that if we did. Used to be one of my chores when I was a teen, to split wood after school. Back in the old days. It will need to dry in any case.

Glad your parade went well, Dlr.

And happy to hear your table runner was well received, SD.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished in the kitchen, cooked, ate well, and put everything away. The pans will wait until tomorrow.

I picked up the Santa, put in about 4 stitches of dark green on dark blue and thought of half a dozen things I had to do online Right Now. Sigh. That’s not the way to get it done. I put it back in a small hoop to pick up and do in hand, leaving the larger kit on the stand. It will make it more appealing to pick up and do a few strands that way. Even if they’re dark green.

Package wrapping is also on hold for tomorrow, and I have to finish the last couple of rows on the last basket.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to split wood, too. That was real work. It helped that we burned cobs as kindling, so didn't need a lot of really small wood. Glad you got to work on your quilt after all.

Doesn't sound like your Santa is providing a very merry Christmas yet, D.

I was hoping to be done with DfG by Monday, but since I'm doing extra bags, I'm revising that till Wednesday. Still record speed for all I've gotten done. It's sure nice they wanted the suitcase. It's working out extremely well to put everything in for delivery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

spirit you make me tired just reading what you do! think a mystery quilt sounds like fun..think just depends on skill levels. I did mystery crochet blanket in the spring. love seeing the cross stitch.

jettsmom..sorry about your mil. kathyb yes i think you think of it in your 50s just because time seems to fly by faster..does for me. dh cousin passed early this morning fighting cancer for years only 63. always worry because dh is almost the same age as he was when he got sick. he was a nice person. dh had a meeting today w sister and lawyers etc apparently estate is settled already. quick. kids don't get money until they are legal age. we have been fighting off colds too dd has one. so made chicken soup and carrot soup. ordered a wildlife centre about $120 things off their amazon wish list..nothing exciting but they need it garbage bags, cleaners, nuts for the wildlife etc.

family is hard at least dh has realized finally that his sister really isn't interested in us and the kids. wish she had admitted to her mom and dad years ago but she liked being catered too. she had made plans for xmas dinner with others plus is enjoying the poor me invites. (dh is her only close family now) so off the hook! not that I want her around at all. but just made my point..nothing to do with us or our actions (esp mine) because she never asked us about xmas plans. free at last now if she just would never phone again.

almost finished a scarf.. really need to work on the xmas blanket. well they don't know they are getting it so can be for anytime. just want a couple of small things for the gift box. gets rid of some yarn too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in decreases for the crown of the hat. Pretty sure there's enough yarn for a 2nd hat. Cross stitch finished and I put away everything I had pulled out for possible projects. I bagged 1 design and the Aida and floss (need 3 or 4 colors though) but I don't plan to start that any time soon. Lots of scraps & random stuff inherited from MIL.
    I need to repair the mattress pad this week (sides and elastic), plenty of things to re-use it will just require figuring out & sewing.
    WTG on the DFG stuff, SD. When do you plan to drive the stuff up there and meet everyone in person?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always like getting to the end of making a hat. The rounds just go faster and faster through the decreases, so that makes them fun.

We're planning to go to the DfG chapter meeting in Duluth 1/10, depending on weather. It should be fun and interesting, I hope.

I got the 9 bags done from yesterday and put ribbons in them. Then I sewed the labels on the last 16 and got those serged all around. They're waiting to have casings pressed and then the side seams can be sewn, casings stitched, ribbons inserted, and then I should be all done with everything. At least I'm hoping nothing more turns up that I forgot I bought. I do have to do an inventory, because I track everything I donate each yr.

I also cut 150 yds of ribbon for the bag drawstrings, 3 different colors. That will hold me a long time, probably. I will be keeping my eyes open for cheap but nice fabric to make bags because I do like to make a few dozen each yr. But for now, everything is made up except the 16 in progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - you’re really zipping through those.

I have the easy things wrapped. The bags I have for the crochet baskets are just plain white so I decided to decorate them. Just some simple tissue paper cut outs, but why do I decide to do these things? Bah, humbug!

When I got out the baskets, I saw I don’t have a couple of rows left. I have about half of the finishing off reverse sc to do. After I get out the new skein and find the hook, I should be done in 10 minutes. Then pop the gift cards in gift card holders and Christmas is done. Nothing left but the feasting.

I figured out why the dark green was hard to see. I had my light dimmed two steps. It was bright, but on full it is very, very bright. The stitching suddenly got easier. When I was working on the Noel on the white sparkly opalescent fabric my two choices were dim the light or snow blindness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like everyone had a productive day and is getting stuff done. I got as far as turning the lights on in the sewing room, and DH asked if we had any more milk. I know I bought one extra last weekend, but apparently it is gone already. So I got to go grocery shopping and before I knew it, it was 2pm and I hadn't left for my party yet. And now I'm home from dancing and we have another holiday dinner in an hour. I really want a nap, though.

People seemed very happy with the zippered cosmetic bags. And the fact that I MADE them.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’m pretty amazed that anyone can make zippered bags too!

Could I have chosen a more fiddly material to cut and paste than thin fragile tissue paper? I put a three tier Christmas tree on the bags with a star on top and called it good. If I ever decide to do this again it will be time to haul out the fabric or felt. It was just another chapter in the Not Thinking This Through book. After that I stopped to eat and watched another Bondi Vet on YouTube. I’ve gotten hooked it. Animals and wonderful Australian accents - what’s not to love?

I found the hook so it’s basket finishing time, then to finish putting the bags together. I’ve somehow frittered the whole day away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How’s this for uninspired. Fortunately we don’t go in for fancy wrapping here.

Ten minutes to finish the basket? Yes. I actually believed that would fo it. Find variegated yarn and hook. Settle in recliner, put quilt over lap, get all cozy, lay it all out on my lap, discover it was not the variegated I ran out of, but the yellow. OMG. I hope that hasn’t been moved to the attic. Get up, scrounge through all the yarn, finally find it. Settle, add quilt, get cozy, everything on lap. Hmmm. Am I sure this is the right hook? Unload lap. Get up, hunt pattern. Nope. Wrong hook. Switch hooks. Settle in recliner, etc. attach the new yellow. Reach for scissors. Remember they fell on floor just as I was quitting last night. Can’t see where they landed from here. I am NOT getting up again. Rummage on side table, find another. Crochet for about ten minutes and done. I don’t know how long the whole thing took but it was a lot longer than the projected 10 minutes.

My underwhelming bags. All I can say is that I used up a tiny bit of tissue paper glue stick.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-190a560a-2773-4332-aa20-dd0a7825414f.jpg