2019 Stash Management - Page 176
Page 176 of 194 FirstFirst ... 76126166173174175176177178179186 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dcompton do that too or the cats are whining to go in and out never all at the same time. miss piss pants hangs off the screen door and bangs and bangs. and course once settled one is I want in or out. until I get mad. love the bags..I have to admit I am a stuff in gift bag type. fabrice ones for family. michaels has linen ones now so got some too.

made this cowl out of clearance yarn I got last year after xmas. was only out in canada bernat rudolph red. wish more co would make this colour combo. but have two so used one for this cowl and the other a hat and necker I think. realized I don't have to get blanket done since I have a wrap and dh bought something too. so will get some small stuff done.
    2019 Stash Management-cowl.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like everyone was busy over the weekend. Glad the dog parade went well.

I ended up not spending much time crocheting this weekend. I went to a Krampus walk on Saturday. The drive wasn't that bad. I had gone to the town once before last year and I was surprised that it didn't take as long as I expected. So I felt a lot more comfortable about going to this event this year. The biggest problem was trying to find parking.

I spent most of Sunday at the coffee shop. I meant to get some work done on my writing but ended up reading fanfiction.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

krampus walk? never heard of that before but sounds fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, Krampus parades are becoming popular, particularly in the last few years. I think they're similar to Santa runs, at least here in the US. The walk I went on was more like a ghost walk where we stopped in front of various stores (we were in the business section of town) but were told folklore stores on various Northern European winter/Yule related spirits, such as Krampus and Perchta, instead of stories of various hauntings. I think the Krampus walks/parades are likely to be a lot more raucous in Europe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TA-DONE! My suitcase is full to overflowing.
    2019 Stash Management-20191209_144117_1575924328641.jpg
    Final totals are 376 shields, 305 liners, and 49 kit bags.
    2019 Stash Management-20191209_143656_1575924462820.jpg
    Can't believe I'm finally all done. Can't believe I did all that!

Tomorrow I can put stuff away and start getting the house back under control. I also want to make a sewing apron so I can wear most of my tools, accessories, phone, etc. I don't want to leave a purse laying around among people I don't know, and want to have my other stuff handy and not out where it can be picked up accidentally or otherwise, or where I can forget it. The apron is turning into more of a project than anticipated, but that's okay. I'm still in the planning stage but now I'll have time to think about it. The base of it will be a crossback apron I have and like in the kitchen, so at least that part is decided.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to include 38 partially made liners. 768 pieces in all. I don't know how much it all cost. I'd guess $200-$300, not counting gas to go buy the fabric. At least the suitcase was free. 😁

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! That’s amazing! Congrats on getting it all finished, and finished so soon. The apron sounds like a great idea.

I’m getting ready to call Amazon about a real mess with an order. I don’t know what happened, but it needs fixing, something rare in my history with them. I discovered a new kind of hoop, quite by accident, on 123 Stitch. They are beyond $$$ for a plastic hoop, but it sounded good and I decided to splurge on one. They have a groove that runs around the middle of the hoop between the rings and have an overkill screw. Larger hoops never seem to hold tension well, but that’s what I want to use with my frame. I found a 9” a little cheaper on Amazon so I bought it and it is as good as advertised. Happy days! Then I ordered a 10”and 7”. Both good prices, considering, and both Prime. The 10” arrived as predicted on Nov 26. The 7” did not. I checked and it was marked delayed, and saw on tracking that it was being shipped, expedited, from China. ??? Well, whatever. Eventually it showed up in US clearance in Chicago where it sat for a while, but it’s probably a really busy time. Still being patient. Next it arrived at a distribution center somewhere in Illinois. On its way so still ok. Today I woke to a message of a failed delivery attempt and that it is being held for pickup. In Montana. No longer ok. And now it says it was delivered after all. In East Helena. I just drove out to the mailbox to check and it isn’t here. Amazon will fix it but it’s aggravating. I’m all for abandoning it there in the frozen north, letting them figure out how to get it back to China, and starting over with one of the Prime hoops, 12 in stock. But I’ll see what happens.

Did it by chat. Cancelled order. I feel sorry for the seller because I think this one is Amazon’s screw up. Since I ordered the more expensive prime one, and that was acknowledged in the projected arrival date, there is no reason he should have gotten the order.

I’ll try again later. That is a size I will need to work smaller pieces from the frame. The 7” I have now just doesn’t hold the tension well enough, though that type in my 5” is great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope it all gets straightened out, D. I've been seeing news reports about crazy work hrs at Amazon lately and warnings to expect pkgs to be late. Saw that one on TV the day ours arrived early. LOL.

Thanks, about the DfG stuff. Every time I got tired, I would think about the empty corners in the suitcase and obsess about filling the spaces. It was a useful obsession for once.

I actually came over here because of you, D. We're having trouble with UPS because they don't bring our stuff to the door anymore, but tie it to the mailbox down by the road instead. Snowplow bait. Can't really blame them, since our hill is so treacherous and they don't have their AWD vans anymore. Anyway, I've been looking at Pinterest for parcel delivery boxes for us and realized your neighborhood could probably use one too. I kind of like some version of this one: https://pin.it/nynfvd5v6qnsc2
    We salvaged plywood from a shed to use when we built our workbenches in the garage, and I have some of that left I would probably use. It's a simple design that could be made from lots of different types of lumber. The instructions don't say it but in the comments the owners say they have a hook with a padlock hanging inside so the delivery person can lock the box. If you used a combo lock, everyone in your family could have the combo so all could get into it to get their stuff. Then you wouldn't have to worry if it was raining or whatever when your stuff was arriving. Maybe someone could build one to put by your gate. Pinterest has lots of designs. Search for parcel delivery box if you're interested.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Way to go, SD! I'm sure those liners will be well appreciated. The apron project sounds fun.

Slow day here. I have been watching the thermometer drop. It was 50 this morning and it is 24 now. I sewed pinwheels. Now have 22 left-facing ones. Will get some more tomorrow. Worked a bit on the stitching. Finished the strand of "light green" and picked up a strand of "light yellow green". Must be leaves. I am not sure what I did with the photo of the design, but I can sort of tell by the pattern. The threads are ~34" long, never worked with any that length before.

Hope you get your hoop order straightened out, DC. I am still using the plain wooden one I bought at Woolworth decades ago. I guess if I did cross stitch more I would want different ones.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - actually since a few weeks before Thanksgiving, UPS has been bringing packages to the door, so our gate code is obviously in their system. FedEx always does. We are so remote we actually don’t usually worry about packages left at the road. We have a larger parcel size mailbox we all share and a lot of things will fit in there. Otherwise pretty much the first person to go in or out the gate picks up anything spotted at the mailboxes and brings it on in. The only time I watch really carefully for the delivery notification is if it’s sonething pretty valuable.

The hoops I really like to use by hand are the plastic ones with a lip around the top of the inside ring, a couple of dollars at 123 Stitch. I have smallish hands so 5” is most comfortable to work with, but will use a 6”. I would only use a larger one if I needed the whole picture clear of the hoop for beading. The outer ring fits under the small lip and keeps the fabric tight. JA has them and with a coupon would also be quite cheap. If you’re ever there and have a coupon you’re not using, I would recommend trying one.

CH.- are you using two strands? If so do you use the loop start? If not, try that. Take one one of the large strands, fold it in half, thread the two ends through the needle with the loop at the bottom. Start the stitch coming up, and on the down stitch go through the loop that is hanging loose beneath the fabric. Voila! Secured thread and a shorter strand to work with. Or with the frame I start it from the top, go through the loop with the up stitch and back down in the same hole I just came up through. When it’s snugged down you feel a tiny pop and the loop is drawn under with a smooth stitch on top. It’s like magic. But you probably already know all this.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, DC, that's a good idea to use a single strand doubled up. That will be shorter and easier to work.

Looks like it is going to get down into the teens tonight. Brr!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're at 11 below at 1 AM. High tomorrow is supposed to be minus 2. Good day to stay home.

It's good your deliveries usually come to your house, D. We have the giant mailbox too, but it's illegal for anyone but USPS to put stuff in it so they don't, which is why they tie our stuff to the mailbox or just set it in the snow beside the box. Very annoying. We should have built a delivery box yrs ago but the drivers used to bring everything to the house. I need to start a list of projects for next spring.

I might haul out my quilt tomorrow and work on that a little while. This is the pattern: Name:  5b63b863560b9efa82854c65fe93e43d_1575963076684.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  49.6 KB
    I haven't done anything with it for a couple yrs. It's kinda mindless, which would be good right now. I think I have the triangle blocks cut already. I also have lots of the nine patch squares cut, and a pile of DfG scraps to cut, too. It would be fun to make some progress on that while I think about the apron some more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One benefit of living in an apartment complex was that deliveries would be dropped off at the leasing office. Now they have a 'hub' where they drop off the packages in cubicles that need a code to open. We have 3-4 days to pick them up but I'm not sure what happens after that time. I think they're left with the leasing office so the drivers don't have to lug stuff back to their warehouses. Some packages, if they're small enough, get shoved into the mail box, which is annoying since the mailboxes are so small to begin with. It's ok for CD's in small envelopes, though. Sometimes I see packages at my doorstep, though.

There's a video goes around on a driver's response to someone leaving goodies out for delivery drivers. While it's a sweet idea, I doubt I'd be able to do something like that. I'm afraid that the kids would raid it before the drivers have a chance at it, particularly one family where the kids are left to run around pretty much unsupervised (they're ~5 or 6 years old). Plus, I don't want to give the kids any reason to come up to my floor anyway. I'm on the top floor and people rarely come up there, except for people visiting my neighbor (I rarely hear or see them) or some intrepid sales person.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I expect UPS to go back to dropping packages at the road after Christmas when the package thieves may be a little less diligent. Right now we have a new driver delivering from his car. They must have put on an army of temps for the holiday season. I also think where it is left may depend on the driver to some degree. For a while we had someone who “helpfully” would put any packages he could through or over the gate, which was the most annoying of all because I would have to get out of the car and hobble around it and over to the package, often through mud, and then bend my unbendable self to the ground to pick it up, a literal pain if it was a flat envelope package. I was glad when that stopped. It took a while, but eventually they did start using the large mailbox. We have a sign on it to please leave all packages there. Maybe they are emboldened by it not being specifically for any of the four addresses, or we are just so far out, who’s to know or care? USPS uses it too and our carriers apparently don’t get upset if they see a UPS package in it.

I did other things than stitch yesterday and may today as well. Life can’t be all cross stitch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally got the quilt back cut out and was short about 3 inches on the lighter color. I found a small piece of blue fabric that was almost the same pattern as the light color and matched the blue on the darker color. It will be fine. Still need to sew the two sides together. I got the batting last week when it was on sale. I'll finish the back and then I just need to put it all together and start quilting. I think I just may get this one done. Maybe I'll get the other one done for her birthday in the summer. I doubt I'll get it done for Christmas, although it won't be as involved and should go together quicker.