2019 Stash Management - Page 177
Page 177 of 194 FirstFirst ... 77127167174175176177178179180187 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

they don't do krampus walks here.. people are very touchy here about any thing about about kids and correcting them. very granola hippy. even at scouts I am the mean one and all I do is have mom eyes and tell them nothing no other normal person would like..no you can't eat candy when no one else has it. hit or get off the stacked chairs etc. get money out of your mouth. like really they have to listen at school or daycare. I mean 20 5 to 8 yrs old running nuts no way. I know they are being normal but still.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good going on the quilt, Jettsmom. Sounds like you're not far from done.

I'm not doing much I thought I would either, D. Some days are like that.

I gathered up all the sewing trash, about 15 gallons. Nice to have empty trash cans again. The scrap catchers on both sergers were overflowing. I haven't been taking time to do even little stuff like empty trash. Still have to haul out the little vacuum and suck out the lint from the 4 machines I've been using. Flannel makes a lot of lint.

I got some stuff put away off the work table, though not enough.

I was able to combine the gowns stored in the 2 flat totes I bought at Savers a while back into the one flat tote I just emptied DfG stuff out of, and put that in the stack in the sewing room where it belongs. The 2 empty totes go under the guest room bed. I found yarn I didn't know I had, and that will go in 1 of those totes.

I emptied a large flat tote, a smaller one about half that size, and a stacking organizer about 4' high, all full of DfG stuff, by doing all this work now and getting it over with. I'm hoping I won't need an inventory again. It sounds like the Duluth chapter might keep me busy, and I might give the GR kids another chance, since apparently I like smacking myself in the face.

I got sucked into a little project today when I picked up the duffle bag I bought for $1 at GW a yr or so ago. I got it to haul projects around, but never liked it. I got it out the other night to decide why I didn't like it and realized, first, it needed some way to make the bottom flat. Second, I thought maybe I should remove the lining between the 2 end pockets and the main compartment to make it all one big space. I messed around with it last night some more, but couldn't decide to remove the linings. That idea just didn't seem right. Today I cut 2 pieces of heavy cardboard from the recycle tote, and glued them together for extra strength to create the hard base I wanted. I immediately liked the bag much better. It seemed like having a defined bottom also made the sides less floppy, another annoyance. I checked, and the bag with the flat bottom now is sized nicely to stack unsewn shields in 2 piles side by side, no need to make the main compartment bigger. I've wanted a bag I could use for that for a long time. I'm guessing I may be able to get 100 shields in the bag, which would be a nice amount to take traveling. Since it's a soft duffel, if I take less, it can squish down. But the end pockets still bugged me and I finally figured out why. They stick out too far on each end. It took a little while, but I finally figured out how to change them. I marked one, then just cut the pocket right off , leaving enough fabric so I had something to reattach it to, folding in the excess fabric. It actually went fairly well, and I love the result. I reduced it from about 3" at its base to 1" all the way around. I only did one so far, and I hope the other one works out just as well. I don't need big end pockets, and every inch matters in our truck and trailer. Here's the original pocket, yet to be modified. See how much it sticks out in the way? It's floppy, too.
    2019 Stash Management-20191210_122436_1576005034886.jpg
    Here's the one I finished. 2019 Stash Management-20191210_122424_1576005145036.jpg
    Much flatter and nicer. I will still have 2 end pockets but for smaller items, all I should need. I think the whole bag will look nicer too, not so big and sloppy. And of course I still have the 2 side pockets seen in the pics, still plenty of room for assorted stuff.

I messed with the big sewing tote too, and got some things figured out. Since I can't fold the new removable rigid bottom for the duffle, it will have to travel in the sewing tote next to my machine, if the duffle is empty or at home in storage. It fits well next to the sewing machine. My water bottle fits in one of the outside pockets. I'm sure I will be figuring out stuff like that for a long time to come.

I discovered the strap on the backs of bags 2 and 3 in my new set are to slip over the pull handle of the big bag, so they don't fall off. Nice! Time for the surgery on the second pocket. I can't wait, since I love doing hand sewing on heavy material so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, congratulations on getting all that done for the days for girls project.

__

We have a condo but the main office will not take packages for us. I wish they did. It will be a feature I look for in my next place. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind.

_____

This is a bump week for me. I had jury duty yesterday. Tomorrow I have a dental appointment. The rest of the week is just regular work. I feel emotionally worn out from yesterday.

My work computer has blocked on of my favorite websites - wattpad - as a malicious site. It is a site where people post novels and short stories. I can go to the site. I can look at the descriptions of the book. But when I try to actually open a book to read it, I get the malicious site warning and it is blocked. I can't really complain because it is not work related, but it is annoying.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jettsmom, glad to hear you are making progress on your quilt. They always seem to take longer than I think they will.

SD, that looks like a good design for a scrappy quilt and a useful modification to the bag.

I got a lot of little things done today, none of which used a sewing machine. I stitched a few rows while the sun was high. Placed a stitch in the wrong place, oh well. I'm sure no one will notice in the end.

Wanted to do some mindless sewing on the blue charity quilt, opened up the box with the fabric and there were no blue squares cut. So for some reason I decided to tackle the scrap pile first, and spent an hour chopping up 2.5" squares. That's a pile of scrap gone and a 4.5" stack of squares to use up.

Tomorrow may be more productive.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Kathy. It was lots of work.

I got the second bag pocket modified. It sure didn't go as well as the first one, but at least it turned out well. It was a fight every inch of the way. I'm debating if I should turn the excess fabric inside over the raw edges. Probably should. If I do, that should be quick and easy, a running stitch easy to push through the fabric. I'll think about it tomorrow. I really like how the bag turned out. It's pretty much what I've been searching for on Pinterest the past few weeks and not finding, except not made with cute fabric. It's not quite a repurpose since I bought it as a travel project bag, but it's still a good upgrade with today's changes. And it didn't cost me anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's value in just puttering some days, CH.

I did peek in the box I have my quilt project in. I have a stack of the 3-triangle blocks cut out, so I might try working on those sometime soon. I have bunches of little squares cut for the 9 patches too, because I got lots of usable scraps from all my DfG shields. I kept up with it to save space, so those are ready. I expect this quilt to take years because it's a low priority for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Part way through the mattress pad repair, need to get it done so back on the bed. I can finish the hat tonight also I think. 1 more hour of this audio-book as well. But I have to be at work early tomorrow so no staying up late. I have a library book not started yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You get so much done, DLR. I like hearing about all your practical projects.

We have another winter weather advisory tonight. I'm back to yelling "shut up!" at the weather guy again. Winds chills are bad and we're getting mid-January temps already. It's one measly degree outside, wind chill at -10 and it's going to be much colder by morning. Then of course it's supposed to warm up Thursday, and snow. Good thing winter goes by fast, like all the seasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The front finally reached us but has lost a lot of its punch. We got 1.2” of rain and it will freeze tonight, if the hourly forecast is to be believed, for about three hours before and around sunrise. Two of them at 32, one at 31. That sounds benign enough, but there might be some icing on the roads and bridges for the first drivers.

I did a sort of killing time project. I have a container of the thin cardboard floss bobbins that come with the bobbin boxes. I don’t use them for floss they are so flimsy. I used some to list all my patterns and hung them on rings by the pattern storage categories. Now I can shuffle through them without having to actually haul the patterns out. If I can’t remember what one looks like from the name or the name with a few words of description in some cases, it’s probably not worth doing anyway. So I managed some stash and used some otherwise useless bobbins. I culled another five or six magazine patterns along the way and found I have more blackwork patterns than I remembered.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds like a big time saver, D. We sometimes double or triple the flimsy floss bobbins so they're thick enough.

Icy roads are no joke. Rain and 31 degrees is a bad combo. I just got a weather alert here about black ice, because it's so cold now road salt isn't very effective and roads are slick. Glad we don't have to go out tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Blech - black ice is worse than snow, imo. Fortunately for me, we only had rain Monday and Tuesday due to the temps being warm for the season (mid-50's to nearly 60*). The temps dropped last night to near freezing and we have some snow. Just enough to look pretty, which will likely melt during the day. I'm just a bit concerned about wet spots on the road freezing overnight.

Did get some work done on wool lapgan #1 last night but I've been restless lately. I haven't really in the mood to get anything done on it. I'm almost finished with skein #3 and should start skein #4 in the next couple of days.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sunny and cold this morning and I am going to go out. Need to get out of the house. I think I will go up to the sporting goods store and shop for DH. He lost a good warm shirt last month in Florida. Coincidentally it is near Hobby Lobby, so I may find a little something for myself.

Going to see about chopping up some blue squares this morning, too. Every step moves the project along.

Not sure about the weather here. We are on the dividing line between the warm and cold air, so a little shift in air currents can change the temp by ~30 degrees and mean the difference between sun or snow in the next several days. It is supposed to get to 40 or 50 today, with a chance of precipitation tonight.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

11 and sunny today. It won't last.

I bound the new seams I made in my duffle. It took 4 hrs and my sore fingers may never be the same. But it's done and I like it. One unanticipated improvement is the seams and binding on the ends now make the pockets stiffer, and that helps a lot to support the sides of the bag, which makes loading and unloading easier.

Not sure of my agenda for today. I just started reading the final book in Dean Koontz's Jane Hawk series, so might have to dedicate the afternoon to that. The whole series has been riveting. And delightfully terrifying, of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sun finally came out today, after ~3 days of clouds, rain, and snow. Temps dropped ~20*'s though (from mid-50's to mid-30's). Hope that the roads and side walks have dried off enough to keep the black ice from forming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope your icy spots disappear, Ren.

We had an unusual visitor at our feeders again, second time in the past week. I hope it keeps coming back. They've never come to feeders before.
    2019 Stash Management-20191211_130804_1576103038214.jpg

I figured out I can slip my smallest cutting mat in the side pocket of my middle sewing bag and then clip the top of it to the zipper pull on the top bag. No work, no cutting it down, no bending, no new bag to make. It's a theory anyway. I'll decide if I like it once I actually use it.2019 Stash Management-20191211_161657_1576103074186.jpg