2019 Stash Management - Page 179
Page 179 of 194 FirstFirst ... 79129169176177178179180181182189 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry, DC, I've been working on this one for a couple of years. It would take me forever to do.

CH, I love the Chiefs squares in your quilt. I had some chiefs fabric in dgd's crib quilt. I forgot to put the Royals in this quilt for dgd quilt. I found the fabric after I had everything sewn together. I should have cut a big square for the back. Her mom is a St Louis fan. Booo!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not a huge fan of bargello, although I've seen some I like.

I hadn't looked at the labyrinth one in detail. Good to know it might be simple enough for a neophyte like me. I'm tempted to buy the pattern, but since I have at least 4 quilts in the queue already, I shouldn't. (No fair laughing, CH. I know you are hardcore. &#x1f601 It's not like I won't always be able to find dozens of quilt designs I would love to make at any given time.

I did notice The Tube was log cabin, and that most if not all the blocks are unique. I can't even imagine the time it took to design that quilt, much less actually make it. That's part of what makes it so striking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don’t really decorate much, or really at all, for holidays. I have have a few Christmas and Halloween pics done just because I liked the patterns. I’m more into celebrating winter, probably because we have so little of it. I loved it the few years I lived in Toronto. I’m sure that was because I could enjoy the snow while getting to school and back via subway. I never had to drive in it. Also since I lived in school housing, getting the snow off sidewalks was someone else’s problem. The snow was never really excessive. That happened on the other side of the lakes. I can where snow would be a lot less appealing had I been in Buffalo. Sometimes though there was a lot more ice than I liked.

In short, I will like having more winter pics to put up and will enjoy working on them. I was just really surprised I had so few. That’s energizing me to get beyond the lazies and start stitching. I just need to decide what to start with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would like to finish at least one full sized quilt in my life time. But I do not think I will start with one of the three dimensional quilts. They look pretty advanced. I am thinking maybe have a big panel in the middle with one or two rows of squares around it. Or I might use one of the sets where you get four to six coordinating panels. And then put some stripes or a row of blocks around it. Another idea might be to get a jelly roll or two (collection of long strips). then I could just sew them together for a stripey quilt. Then again, I could go for a modern art quilt with random patches sewn together.

The writing about a stiffer bottom for the tote bad reminded me of a craft from the 70's. When I was a little, someone gave me a purse that was made using a laundry detergent bottle. The bottom and the bottom few inches was the bottom part of a laundry detergent bottle. The top part was crochet. Holes were poked near the cut edge for the crochet.

I have been thinking that at some point when I am older I will reach the point where it is highly likely that I would not use up my supplies during my lifetime. I do not think I have reached that yet. I do not use up much supplies per year right now. But I feel like I would use a lot more per year after I retire. I enjoy getting new things once and while. But I also kind of like the challenge of making things with what I have.

Maybe when I am around 80 or so....

The style of embroidery I do can really work with any color. For example, in real life cats are orange or neutral colors - white, black, gray, brown, tan. However, I have seen some very stylistic cats where they have been embroidered in all sorts of colors. And a mandala type design or any abstract style design or any quote could be any colors.

I have made felt animals in all sorts of non-traditional colors. And of course a dragon could be any color. Dolls are a little trickier, but I could probably to fairy dolls in unusual skin colors like green or blue. As long as I did not pick a color that was potentially offensive - no red. (Our local football team is the Redskins. They have been getting flack about their name being offensive.)

I can picture myself doing a teal snowflake and telling people, "I am not senile. I am just using up my thread stash." I could gift it to my colorblind brother... Actually, he could still tell it was not white...so maybe not.

But for right now, I think I will buy more embroidery thread, even though I don't need it. I think I will splurge a little on some valdani brand balls of pearl cotton. It is generally between $5 and $6 a ball which makes it more than twice what the DMC brand is. But it is still something I could easily afford. With my end of the year performance bonus at work I could afford to get 100 balls. But I will show some restraint and only get around 10 or 12.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is this thing you speak of, this, how do you say it... restraint?

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could never do those quilts I would mix up the blocks lol haha restraint.. whats that. as I just emptied a under the bed storage container that I moved downstairs from under my bed w card stock, stickers etc from when I was going to make cards. was a fad then. dd can use the stock to make card as gifts since she is the artist. lots of my interests like that went wayside and hidden cus little kids and no craft room. dd is like her dad just take over any room w stuff. I will fill it up with yarn and put under bed to clean up our bedroom a bit. we have..don't know what to call it foot of wall that covers the top of the curtain? and then you have the wall. so the armoire full of caron cakes isn't short enough to go under against the wall so filled it with bags of yarn which now I will try to fit into container to go under the bed. there is baskets of yarn too on top. makes it look neat but no one knows how much I have lol said if I die tomorrow you can sell it all to pay for the funeral.

think I will get dh to switch the dresser and armoire too. we have a small bedroom 10ft by 12ft. we were at ikea and looked at the beds that lift up and have all that storage in it. said look all my yarn would fit lol. dh was maybe! my retirement plan lol but really you never know if you can get the colours etc. the multi coloured caron cakes that were suppose to be temporary anniversary thing but took off. I love the multi coloured ones. started me crocheting again. I know a lot of it was stress hobby too lol w mil's illness and dealing w sil so now that sil is out of my life..hopefully. but of course lots of lovely yarn esp the new lion brand mandala but it hasn't told me what it wants to be. I know that sounds weird. but I look at it and can't think what to do with it. some a blanket and some a sweater others wait and see. decided the last ball of bernat rudolph red is a hat and necker for me. working on the necker but have the hat done.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So this is what I'm planning for the scrappy blue blocks. I don't have quite enough of the light blue solid for the center, so there are print ones in their place. The red will be more spread out, it's not a predominant color in my scrap pile. I'll just keep making rings or rows until it is big enough. The nice thing is I can alternate the various blue prints and it will still look ok.

2019 Stash Management-img_20191212_110609652.jpg

IMO the hardest part of a quilt is starting it. Once you get going it is mostly repetition of the same block, and most blocks are made from squares and triangles. And there hasn't been a quilter yet who hasn't sewn something in wrong and had to rip it out and redo it. With gridded rulers and pre-cuts and cutting machines its so easy to get accurate piecing these days.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a timeless design, CH. it will be pretty. So you are going to start with the center block and add blocks around it, like making a log cabin? I've been trying to figure out the best way to do my scrappy quilt with the 9-patches and triangles, and it seems like that would work.

I like making stuff from what I already have, too. The conundrum is I have to have stuff to make other stuff with. I've built up my inventory over the yrs, picking up stuff cheap or salvaging, buying tools for the garage, sewing room, and kitchen. I finally feel like I have enough of most everything and seldom have to buy much. It helps that I'm pretty good at being flexible and using what I have even if it's not my first idea.

Martha, I think you're talking about a cornice above your windows. Sounds like you have an impressive yarn collection. As CH pointed out, we all sew stuff wrong sometimes. I sew, therefore I swear. For lots of quilt designs, you only have to learn to sew one kind of block, then make enough of them to cover the bed, and Bob's your uncle.

I don't much care if I die without using everything up. In fact, it's likely. I don't know how I would calculate how much I will need anyway, and of what. I might die tonight, next week, 10 yrs from now, or when I'm 100. Who knows? Or I might have an accident or illness that changes how my brain works or requires a long recovery during which I can't make things. My interests might change. Tastes might change. Needs might change. Husby might decide he wants to use my stash, like when he learned to cross stitch and took over my stash. There are too many variables for me even to pretend I know what I will need. All I know is, if we ever move, it's really going to be a pain!

Speaking of pain, I finally got rid of the old massive filling in one of my back teeth today. Stuff kept getting stuck between 2 teeth because of it, very annoying and now TMI. But the nice new temp crown is in now. Glad that's over. Weirdly, the gold crown I'm getting next month is supposed to cost me $9 less than a ceramic one. Go figure. Some anomaly with our insurance. TBH, I'll believe it when I see it, but it's ordered now.

Another winter weather advisory already, starting tomorrow. We're in the same precip pattern we've had for about a yr now. Dang. Sure nice Husby doesn't have to be out driving around in winter weather every day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol we joke about it since I have a lot of yarn now plus lots of people close to us have passed in the last few years....we had to make trips over the border to get them lol tracking down hard to find ones ...making everyone go though the till using michaels coupons lol. actually couldn't get mandala even across the states only in walmarts so were only in some for a while.. and turned out when we went to orlando a walmart close to us there got them a week before we went. hubby was that is why we went. facebook groups would track them lol but then you get a couple of each colourway and bam! you have a lot. as they say shopping for crafts and doing them are two separate hobbies.

asked dh when he came home ..it is a valance lol I have to practice sewing. I don't do it much so a straight seam is a big thing! when I get the machine fixed.

ch your quilt is pretty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you've sewed at all before, you will master a straight seam easily. The main thing is to make sure your seams are the exact width called for. I
    bought a little gauge for checking seams. Not very expensive, but handy. Dritz 3100 14 in 1 Measuring Gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UAM408..._uxY8DbMQGC3ZQ
    Look on Pinterest for potholder ideas and start small for practice before starting a bigger project. Potholders make nice gifts and they're much smaller commiments of time and money.
    2019 Stash Management-20181127_140305_1576216483866.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly I make Ohio Star blocks over and over because I can do it without thinking and you can vary a lot just through color changes.
    I have figured out what to do with all of the silver pedestal candy dishes at mom's house (surely bought at auction from a hotel or someplace that would use a lot of that sort of thing.) Polish, put a pillar candle in the dish, tie ribbon/bow around the candle (remove for burning) and other ornamentation as needed. This is one I brought home already. I'll bring the others home tomorrow (probably half a dozen). Maybe use a few as gifts. Name:  IMG_0985.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  57.0 KB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As part of my big round of dental work, I am getting the metal fillings in my teeth replaced with ceramic. They are not gold filled though, they are the old silver colored fillings. I think that having something natural looking looks better than metal. But some people like the look of having gold in their teeth, so it is pretty subjective.

Over time, the old style metal fillings can cause problems with your teeth. Since metal expands and contracts with heat and cold your teeth do not, that can lead to teeth cracking over time. That is what happened to me and now I need some expensive repair work to fix the damage done. However, when I say over time, I mean decades. The fillings were put in during childhood/early teens. I am in my early 50s right now. So your filling will probably last longer than you. Also, gold might not be as problematic as the old metal fillings for this.

I suppose restraint is somewhat a fuzzy word. On the one hand, I could make lots of stuff without having to buy anything. Exceptions could be made for things wear out. I just bought a new rotary cutter. My old one was so dull, it struggled to cut a single layer of quilting cloth. But I have maybe 50 balls of pearl cotton for embroidery. I do not need more. But I would like more.

So actual restraint might be not buying any at all. But I have the budget to buy maybe $750-$1250 worth of craft stuff a year. But I don't. Because I generally only use up $100 or less of craft stuff a year. There is also space considerations because I live in a condo. I do not have the same amount of storage space as some people here.

My goal is not really to use up all of my craft supplies. I am not sure that is possible. For yarn it could work. It is possible to make a scrappy blanket by crocheting/knitting till you run out of yarn then starting with a new ball. It does not really work that way with embroidery thread. Although I suppose I could just embroider with one color till it runs out.

I do expect that there will be a bunch of stuff left when I pass on. When I start getting older - like maybe around 80 or so - I will see if their are any family members or friends who might be interested in it. If not, I will look into what local organizations might like a donation of craft materials.

At what point does it get ridiculous to still keep buying stuff? I am not sure. I do not think I reached that point yet.

Or maybe I could get one new ball of thread for every ball I use up or something like that. Keep it stable.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My gold crown will be where it won't really be seen. I was planning on gold before I got the 2 estimates for gold and ceramic and expected it to be quite a bit more expensive because it's gold. Gold is more durable than ceramic and I'm not that fond of dental do-overs, either in having to sit through having the work done, or in having to pay another huge bill later on. If the crown was where it would show, I'm vain enough I would probably go with ceramic. Unless I could put a diamond in a gold tooth and be fully blinged. 😁

I haven't even thought about a cut-off date for getting rid of my craft stuff and tools. I don't have any idea when I might become incapable of doing things I enjoy, so for me it does not make sense to plan for when I should get rid of my stuff. My mom is 91 and still sewing and doing crafts, in spite of her many physical limitations. If she had decided at 50 to give up crafts at 80, she would have sat around looking at 4 walls for the past 11 yrs, not doing much to keep her brain engaged. Another lesson for me. When she moved to her first apartment, she was already in her 80s, but bought an electronic keyboard so she could teach herself how to play. At 90, she got her first smart phone and is trying to teach herself to use that, sometimes frustrating for us. She's never been political but in the past 4 yrs she has taken a keen interest and learned a lot about government, as many of us have. My goal is to be like her, always learning, always trying new things, or as she puts it, to live till I die.

I can well understand limited space for supplies. That's why I like having dedicated spaces for different crafts. Once that's full, I generally stop buying that type of thing unless I have an immediate need. But I'm really, really good at making space where there doesn't seem to be any. Still can't believe I was able to cram a 7th sewing table in my sewing room. *patting self on back* The strange part is I actually like the room better than before. I digress. There's no chance of fitting an 8th table in there or any other big furniture, so that space is officially full unless I get rid of something, like getting rid of the big suitcase I'm donating made room for the new sewing totes, which I would not have bought without making space.

Got the birdhouses primed. I still haven't decided what color to paint them. I need to go to the cabin and see what we have for paint, but it's still snowing and I'm too lazy to put on boots. I don't need paint till tomorrow anyway. I'm now leaning toward giving them to Mom at Christmas. It would make her happy to think about getting them put up in the spring and having a couple birdie families move in.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't buy fabric because I need it, usually. Quilt backing and batting is the big exception. I shop because I'm bored and buying stuff is entertaining. I do try to limit it to stuff I think I'm actually going to use, but sometimes things like that embroidered net slip in. I got a little out of hand with the fat quarters and remnants in the past, but I've been using them.

IMO, I think it gets ridiculous to keep buying when you have no intention of ever using it. You might be telling yourself it's for retirement, or it will get used someday, or you/someone might need it, or it was on sale but deep down you know and can't admit you won't use it. When you can't part with the useless stuff for emotional reasons, then it's called hoarding. (Not pointing at any of you, just saying) In the past I had problems with buying fabric just to have it, not because it had an intended use. If it was pretty and I wanted it, I bought it, and now I have bins and bins of fat quarters taking up space...

Dlr, Ohio Star blocks are great. Like you say, so many variations possible with color choices and arrangement. I like your plan for the silver bowls. You could use those stubby pillar candles, too, and put greenery around the base for a larger arrangement.

SD, I don't think seam width is as important as cutting accuracy. If your pieces aren't the right size to begin with, having straight or even seams is still going to leave you with mismatched pieces, odd blocks and clipped points. Part of the reason I love my cutter is because it takes all the time and fussiness out of cutting pieces. But even rotary cutters were a massive improvement over tracing around cardboard templates with scissors.

It looks like it is going to warm up today. It is 45 and rising. We still have gulf air pushing in. It's sunny and will be a nice day to stay home and sew. I wore myself out yesterday doing errands and taking the cat to the vet. I didn't even have time to hide DH's presents before he got home. Luckily the sewing room is such a mess he never even noticed the bags.

There will be a big midwest storm this weekend. SD I think you are going to get one side of it. They are still debating whether it will slip south enough to hit us. If it does it will be bad with all this warm humid air here. Quilt bee is Monday, but it might be a snow day. No school= no bee.
    Last edited by Contrary Housewife; 12-13-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, I have seen pincushions made from similar dishes, too. The candles would make nice gifts, too. Or candy dishes. Or holding keys by the door. Lots of potential.

Not sure what I want to work on today. I think I know what a couple of the pockets will look like on the apron I want to make, so might get a start on that project.

Husby is on the phone with TracFone. They're discontinuing service on our old phone. ☹️ We wanted them to convert all our unused minutes to data for our smart phones, but they won't. They also won't split the minutes between our 2 phones. Waah! So I'm about to get 8,000 minutes dumped into my phone. I wonder if we can watch TV via phone when we travel. Might have to check out Dish Anywhere again for details.