2019 Stash Management - Page 185
Page 185 of 194 FirstFirst ... 85135175182183184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I got some permanents put in and I also got two bad teeth pulled. Now I have a month to recover before the next round of replacements are done. They only gave me extra strength Ibuprofen - the same thing I would get if I exceeded the recommended doses on regular Ibuprofen. So I was not too out of it.

The spare thread bit reminds me of a something I saw that seemed to fit into the spend a bit to save a little category. I could buy a felting machine. These are used for making sheets of felt. They now have a version that is priced for home use. For a little over $200 I could felt all my felt scraps together into a sheet. Wool felt blends are around $1 a sheet and pure wool is around $2 a sheet. I do not think I would get my money's worth from it. Although I think it is actually more about creating unique sheets with interesting marbled or rainbow colors.

I think I might actually have some of the jacquard paints on hand. I played around a bit with fabric paint before. I got some Shiva paint sticks for fabric. They were a little pricey, but highly rated. However, they turned out blotchy for me.

I was able to get some specifics - kind of - from my husband on what he meant when he said he did not want to move to a place that was "too cold." First he said he did not want a place where it got to the single digits in winter. That still leaves a lot of places, including parts of the Midwest. Then he said - ideally - he would want to live in a place where the average low in winter does not get below 32 degrees. That rules out over half the country right there. The difference between the minimum acceptable and the ideal are pretty big.

So I think that I will focus on the cities that meet the ideal first. And if we can't find something in that category we both like, then we can branch out more.

He is still sticking to his "too early to discuss it" thing. Well he does retire two years before me, so I would hope at that point he is ready to talk about it. We should be able to make a decision in two years.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lucky thing to get the drug samples, D.

Kathy, have you run the numbers to see if it's worth it to stay in such a high COL area 2 extra yrs vs retiring 2 yrs early? Or transferring a couple yrs from retirement to a lower COL city?

Sorry about the dental work. No fun at all. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I'm not getting anything done. My phone game finally got updated a week late. Yes, I'm addicted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The early retirement penalties are pretty stiff. The base pension would not be too different, 28 percent of my salary compared to 30 percent of my salary. But the penalty for retiring two years earlier than the minimum is having a pension reduced by 25 percent. For my circumstances at least. It will vary from person to person.

Plus I feel like my husband probably will not want to think seriously about it till he retires. In some ways it makes it more difficult to keep working if you are focusing on retirement too much.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Always so many angles to consider. One plus is he will be home full time to do research and start prepping your home for sale.

I wish we could reach a conclusion about moving. COL is so cheap where we are it's hard to think about leaving, plus it's gorgeous. It's not perfect but nothing is, and it's hard to know if the imperfections we have are better or worse what the next place would have. For npw, we're focusing on getting this house purged and organized and finishing projects. At the least, we need to get this place in shape so if something happens to one of us, the other one will have less to do to get ready to sell.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope everyone has had a good day. It was nice here, sunny an in the 40's. I got a little work done on the blue quilt. Cleared off the cabinet top where I keep my cutter and laid out some blocks. Added 2 rows/1ft to one side of the center part I already did. I am not sure how much of the dark blue fabric I have left, so I do not know if that will be the next ring, or if I need to use a different blue. I have remnants on hand if necessary. I'll have to do some measuring and counting of both fabrics and see how far it is going to get me. I'm ready to get back to pinwheels.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1365.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like that cute kitty block, CH. That will be a nice quilt.

I was reading about how to set up a sewing room and apparently I'm doing it all wrong. I'm supposed to leave room on the walls for "art". Sure. I'm also supposed to have furniture with soft surfaces so I can "relax". Right. Oh, and I'm supposed to have brightly colored throw pillows because they're "cheerful". Uffda! Of course all storage containers are supposed to be decorative. Doesn't matter if they're ridiculously inadequate for the job, as long as they're cute. My favorite was the 4 oz mason jar for storing your button "collection". That article was presented as a plan that would allegedly work for everyone, regardless of their level of expertise, interest, or space. Seriously. Oh, well, it was good for a few laughs.

Got nothing done except I blew through the entire new level on my game. The next update won't be for at least a week. I really need to go back to using my laptop because it's less convenient than my phone, but I don't think we're on speaking terms ATM. But I did plug it in and got it charged up at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hope everyone is feeling good! all that dental work close to xmas ugh. I know I should go to dentist but meah. dd has a wisdom tooth coming in sideways but no rush to get it out. she said fine when school is out. lovely necklace and quilt! what about a small crochet project that travels ? xmas is so close ..did some grocery shopping basics and extras for xmas ..have been picking up things for last few weeks. weekend then worry about more xmas stuff. finished a hat and necker from me. working on a hat for whoever. since I got more yarn must use up more lol

2019 Stash Management-redhat.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, your necker and hat look nice and warm. Hope DD's wisdom teeth don't become a problem. Mine came in sideways, too and had to come out when I was a teen.

SD, in order to put art on my sewing room walls I'd need to have walls. LOL! There's about 6ft between the hall and the closet door, which opens and barely misses the window next to it, and then there's about 3 ft on the other side of that. And there are 4 book cases in those spaces. I'm going to guess my button collection is in a tin that is older than the author of that advice. I do have a really comfortable recliner to relax in.... but it's piled high with fabric and crap. Actually, I do miss having my bulletin board. I used to keep notes and ideas tacked up. No space now.

The new Star Wars movie is out tonight and everyone and their dog wants to share their review. Ugh.

Probably going out tomorrow. Need to enjoy what short sunlight hours we have.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do not think there is ever a good time to have dental work done. But I actually think winter is maybe a little better. When my teeth had the temporary crowns they were cold sensitive. No problems being out in the cold, but problems with things like drinking ice water or cold beverages. In the winter I mostly drink hot things, so it is not a big deal to refrain from drinking cold things. In the summer I would be harder to give up cold beverages and frozen deserts.

I do actually have artwork in my craft room. I have two abstract paintings I did. Their is an art print called "firefly knitting." My husband thought the model in the painting - Kaja Foglio - looked a lot like me. There is a picture of her here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaja_Foglio
    Then I also have some mandalas I colored and some other art that is pictures from old calendars.

My home is pretty art heavy in general. Every room except the bathrooms have something.

There are no comfy chairs or decorative pillows though. Although I do not really do much crafting in the room except when I use my sewing machine. I generally sit in the sofa or stuffed chair in the bedroom to do my embroidery or other hand sewing. It is almost more of a store room.

I keep my buttons in small plastic organizers with little compartments where they are sorted by color. The jars look pretty, but they are not terribly practical. I might have more buttons that most people - about a pound or two I think.

I guess the good part of living in high cost of living area is that I have lots of available options left for things cheaper. I also feel pretty flexible on where I can live as well. It does not have to be perfect. It just has to meet certain basic criteria and overall have more positives than negatives.

No place is perfect.

This is difficult to put in words but ... I feel like my baseline of what makes a place "good" is maybe less than other people's. Well obviously my criteria are different. I like museums, so that rules out a lot of otherwise nice smaller cities and some mid-sized cities. But I still feel my choices are more broad than most people.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice work, Martha. I like that color combo.

CH, could you put a bulletin board on a door, or hinge it to one of your bookcases, like a cabinet door?

You've all seen pics of my sewing room. I have almost no wall space for anything. I have 6 sewing machine tables, 2 wardrobes with 6 flat totes on racks over one of them, 1 large and 1 small bookcase, 2 big windows, a pegboard, a big custom floor to ceiling rack, a stereo rack with glass door, a stack of 4 DMC floss cabinets, a 5' wall cabinet, a small TV, 4 office chairs, 2 large and 2 small thread racks, a high shelf for sewing machine covers I don't use, and a rolling stack of plastic bins. I also have a 4x4 walk-in closet full of fabric and a rack with an ironing board. All my vertical space is used for storage. If I took it down for artwork, where would I go with the stuff stored in those spaces? Besides, once I put something up, after a while I don't even notice it, thus making it a waste of space. That's why I like D's idea of swapping cross stitch projects every so often, so you get something fresh to enjoy. If only I could get that organized.

I actually like my sewing room, in spite of how crowded it is. I think it's because it's very organized and I can usually find whatever I need. I'd love more space, and a little bit of art in the form of some sewing themed cross stitch and signage. But when I'm in there, I'm working, not looking at the walls. 🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn’t do much if anything last night. The traffic in town was very heavy and the drive back home was just at the time of day for the miles and miles of bare trees by the road to turn the sun into a flashing strobe light in my peripheral vision. It gave me a lovely headache and I just chilled for the rest of the evening.

UPS must be struggling this year. Another package - just for the record not cross stitch - has gone astray. It got to Jackson, Mississippi. Check. Then to New Orleans. Oops. Not our distribution center. Back to Jackson. Ok, they’ll pop it over to Shreveport. Nope. After waiting several days for an update, I saw last night that it’s on it’s way to Minneapolis. Someone needs to buy these folks a map.

Today and tomorrow are housework, but I have to do it in spurts. In the between times I want to go through all my full coverage patterns and pull out the smallest. The robin I started is probably the largest, but since I like all the patterns I think I will work more or less from small to large, at least for now. It would be nice to have a chance of finishing something - lol. I also want to try different combos of floss and fabric count so when I take on the really large ones, I will start with the best combination.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, look what I found at JA, right inside the entrance, the week before christmas.

2019 Stash Management-img_20191220_125757534.jpg

Traffic is busy here today, too, did not stay out long. I picked up some beads to make a last minute gift for a friend. Also bought a remnant of holiday fabric to make a gift bag for one of DH's presents. It's just too large for any boxes we have and I don't want to buy a large box that's going to sit around most of the year taking up space.

I keep forgetting the pillowcases I was going to make. I found a "15 minute" instruction page, but I think it's going to take longer than that.

SD, the only door in my sewing room is the closet door and it already has a long mirror, thread rack and calendar hanging on it. I suppose my calendar is my concession to "art". Besides, I have the plant rack between my machine and the window so I have greenery to look at. And I have a spot in the hall where I can hang my small quilts.

Feeling sleepy. Guess I better start sewing before DH decides to come home early.

DC, hope your UPS package gets sorted out soon.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc - I feel you on the wandering packages. It's clearly racking up frequent flyer miles, which unfortunately can't be used by anyone. I'm still waiting on a couple of packages with no way to track them. Sigh. Amazon. I'm still waiting on a package that originally said I would get it in 7 days from receipt of the email. Turns out it's being shipped from the UK to the US and will likely take 28 days. Again, with no way to track the package.

I think I will finish off the wool lapgan once I get through the yarn I unraveled from the skein already. Once that much is done, I'll start the second wool lapgan. I'll use the leftover yarn for scarves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, I've always felt it's unfair when my stuff gets to travel more than I do. Hope your stuff gets home soon. Working on projects small to large seems like a good plan. It would be easier to feel like you're making progress. Maybe alternating small and large would work, or doing a portion of a large project aternating with small projects between portions.

Did you buy any Christmas cross stitch, CH? Looks like some fun stuff. Sounds like your sewing space is as tight as mine. Why am I not surprised?

Pinterest is my friend. I went looking for ideas to use an old crib, since I happened to salvage one or two side pieces a couple yrs ago. Actually I was thinking about whether I could replace the ugly pegboard in my sewing room with a crib side that looks nicer, therefore Pinterest. But then I found this:
    2019 Stash Management-67a616a20d91978b7cbd6fa6f61b9b25_1576875903352.jpg
    I really like this idea for our cross stitch and our living room. It's so simple and versatile and easy to change. I hope I do have 2 of them. I just can't recall. I know I have one because I just looked at it.

Why can't I finish projects as fast as I can dream them up? So unfair...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Why canít I finish projects as fast as I can buy them? Lol.

I just talked to Amazon. Now they say it will arrive on dec 28. Iím usually patient and just wait, but this time given the choice, I declined it. Scheme - reorder and it will get here sooner. So now itís refunded, but Iím told just to keep it when it finally arrives, with their compliments. So Iím still waiting but at least itís free. Too bad itís not a bigger order. Amazon has a lot more money than I do. But I guess thatís being greedy.

Iíll earmark that ďfreeĒ money for floss. If I like the CXC Iíll need to add multiples of some colors for the small full coverage patterns. I had bought all the DMC I needed for the trees and robin, so I will still do those with what I have.

I like the crib idea.