2019 Stash Management - Page 186
Page 186 of 194 FirstFirst ... 86136176183184185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 2906
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post

Did you buy any Christmas cross stitch, CH? Looks like some fun stuff. Sounds like your sewing space is as tight as mine. Why am I not surprised?...
    I got a few off ebay, then found the one I bought last year.

I think my space is smaller than yours. I have 3 machines, only one small window, no wardrobe, and only one half-height cabinet that my cutting machine sits on. I have 3 small tubs of fabric squeezed in, and 4 narrow book cases with patterns boxes stacked on top. I have to go sideways between the serger and ironing board because the space is only as wide as my hips. I can't push my chair back from the sewing machine, it's already up against one end of the ironing board. The ironing board has to come out if I use the serger. Part of my problem is the number of small tubs and boxes taking up floor space. There are several quilts worth of fabric in those. I try to keep the floor clear but it has gotten bad in recent years.

Finished the gift bag just in time, not without effort. The thread decided to keep breaking when I got to sewing the drawstring tube. Have no idea why. I have been using this cone all year, and was sewing just fine with it and the bobbin yesterday. Today it's shredding. Well, it's done anyway. DH came home just as I was tying up the bow.

Ren, Amazon's service isn't what it used to be. I don't know where they cut corners, but I've heard a lot of complaints the past few months. I don't think it's just the holiday rush, though that is certainly straining their system.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I heard a discussion of it on the radio driving home yesterday. For one thing Amazon had such unreliable service from fedex - I can vouch for that - that they have cut ties with them, taking out one carrier. They have also told third party sellers that offer prime items that they must ship ups. I don’t know if that has gone into effect yet. Also ups really is struggling to keep up this year. The people giving the report said it was probably partly because of the overwhelming cascade of packages with more and more people ordering online, and partly just because they are screwing up. They are trying and have added temp drivers. For a few weeks my packages were being delivered by a regular guy in his own car, who actually brought them to my door. Now we’re apparently back to the truck because they are being left on the road. Amazon is also taking over more and more of the delivery themselves which will be a problem for other carriers later on.

It seems to me that they should cut off orders guaranteed by Christmas sooner, and that customers should let them extend prome delivery dates a day or two right at Christmas. Maybe if there was less frantic beat-the-clock rushing there might be fewer mistakes. Still, it’s aggravating when they send an already late package to the other side of the country. I’ve never had a problem though with amazon fixing it, one way or another.

Maybe if they can get through this year, everyone involved can take a deep breath and start figuring out solutions.

Nowadays the world is changing so fast, it’s no wonder businesses have a hard time keeping up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sewing room is 12x13, plus closet. A lot depends on how a room is arranged how well things fit in. That's another worry I have about moving, that I'll get the same size room but stuff won't fit due to door and window placement or where heating vents are, whatever. It's taken over 20 yrs of planning, tweaking, rearranging, and patiently waiting to find perfect furniture to get my room where it is. I dread the thought of having to start over, unless I can have half a basement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a sewing/craft dedicated space. 1 sewing machine folds into its special "desk" so I have flat surface to use the rotary cutter and mat. Ironing board and iron in the closet. I have 7 cardboard boxes holding fabric + 1 deep & 2 shallow plastic bins holding fabric and yarn. Large popcorn-gift-type can for buttons. Thread caddy and some zip-loc bags of thread. Bead/supplies take about 2 shoe boxes of space. Everything gets put away when not in use, it really doesn't take that long. There is a nice sewing cabinet at dad's house but I have no floor space for it.

The "newer" (1970's era) Singer machine is still in basement storage and I have not read or tried all the features to see if there are any I would use. Automatic buttonhole is the only thing that would be an advantage over the old machine.

Of course once I stop working and have TIME I may be completely dissatisfied with this arrangement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, my room is 9x10ft. The closet is just wider than an average interior door and just deep enough to put in hangars. I'm pretty sure my window is less than 3 ft wide, but I could be wrong.

It occurs to me that if I emptied the closet of the costumes that many of the small boxes and clutter would fit in there. But I have no place to put the costumes. That has been an ongoing issue for years now. And we can't consider the basement for anything due to the unresolved mold problem there.

Dlr, I hope some day soon you're able to have a dedicated sewing space that makes you happy.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, I'm impressed. I couldn't fit into a small space even when I only had one machine. I've been lucky enough to have dedicated sewing spaces since 1982. I did a ton of sewing on our dining room table from 1986-90 though, when the kids were all home and in need of supervision. Everything had to be moved every meal to a built in buffet we had, which was kind of a pain, but that's how it was. I sewed a lot more then, with 8 kids and Husby needing suits for work. I made most of our clothes back then. Supplies were kept in a separate area off of our bedroom.

That's a tiny space for all you do, CH. That's impressive, too. I hope you can find a place for your costumes and reclaim your closet, but I can understand that problem, too. I worry about losing the walk in closet in my sewing room. It's a small walk in, but bigger than normal closets. We have 4 walk ins in this house, and when we leave, we're going to miss every one of them.

Husby doesn't understand the concept of floor space. His office is 10x13 and it's our smallest bedroom. He keeps looking at houses that have master BRs that size or smaller, with secondary BRs even smaller. Drives me nuts. He likes my concept of an everything room in a basement though, so at least he recently has started looking at finished basements. Who knows what we will end up with?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just got an e from C in Duluth. 102 yds of DfG fabric has arrived. I wonder how much will come home with me. Looks like some pretty stuff. I'm excited to go to their sewing event next month!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I talked myself out of another tool bag. No, really, I mean it this time! I could fit loads of shield parts into it, but I have nowhere to store it. So that's that. Back to plan A, looking for another duffel I can fold for storage, and maybe mod it if needed. Maybe I'll even find another gray one so I have a matched set. 😁 Or see if I already have something.

I poked around my sewing room seeing how I might be able to rearrange and take advantage of empty spaces to help pare down the space I might need in the next sewing room, if there ever is one. Not sure I made any progress. I changed around my pegboard so I could add back the basket I left off when I put up the pegboard and made some other changes for more space. I moved stuff into the space where I used to hang quilt rulers and templates, since they all have new homes. I have empty baskets now, so have to figure out what should live in those.

I think I do actually need a toolbox in the sewing room, but it has to be just the right one. I have lots of hand tools that need organizing, which are in various places now. I should round everything up and see what type of storage they all might need and where I could put a toolbox and if I already have something. I think that's a job for another day though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I saw a happy young man leaving JA with one of those pink toolbox sewing kits yesterday. I think he made a good choice and I hope whoever receives it appreciates the gift. I remember getting something similar, slightly larger, from my brother a couple decades ago. It was a nice upgrade from the cardboard shoe box I had been using.

Anyway, it's a beautiful -- dare I say warm?-- first day of winter and we have been busy. Our date with friends got cancelled, too many other things going on, so we finally have a day at home to get crap done. I finished the bead necklace this morning. Did a length of green floss on my stitch project. The cat has moved into the corner next to my machine to supervise. I'm going to figure out what the devil is going on with the thread in my machine and get sewing again.

SD, 103 yards doesn't sound like much. That's about 4-5 bolts of cotton.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's warm here, too, 30. Nice to have a break from the cold and a little sunshine.

102 yds will make hundreds of shield parts. I don't know how many pieces per yd when using a die, because that takes more fabric than cutting by hand.

I found a tool bag! Name:  ee446fa6cb3f93af0e494c8247cb97f7_1576956110402.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  28.9 KB
    It's been sitting in our back porch for yrs, full of tools but unused. I bought it before we realized all our tools end up in a plastic pail for any project, no matter how nice a tool bag we start with. I took it for my sewing room. It has everything I think I want for a sewing tool bag except a cover, but I can make one. A veritable plethora of pockets! 2019 Stash Management-20191221_124741_1576956808908.jpg
    I will have to add an extension to the front of my thread shelf, but that won't be a big deal. Amazon has this bag for $38 now. We bought ours yrs ago and I'm pretty sure we didn't pay over $20. Guess they've gone up a lot. I can't say I saved $40 because I wouldn't have spent that much now, but probably saved $15-$20 and put a nice, relatively expensive item to use instead of leaving it gathering dust and dog hair. We also found a bunch of tools we've been looking for. Wins all around! Now I just have to decide what should live in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If my math is right (big if) 102 yds of 45" fabric would make about 2,300 shield pieces. Each shield uses 2 pieces, so 1,150 shields. However, pockets have to be made too (2 per shield) and they take more fabric than expected. And the whole lot is bought in bundles, some of which is too light colored for shields so will be used for bags. But it'll still be one heck of a lot of sewing.

Another win on my Irwin bag, I didn't add to clutter in the house by buying another bag.

I actually went to the thrift yesterday and got about 4.5 yds of general purpose fabric, 2 pcs the same print for my quilt, 1 pc navy checks a nice weight for a bag. Or an Irwin cover! Also got a couple yds of sticky Velcro and 2 balls of baby yarn bundled together. They had a 30% off sale and my stuff was all marked .99, so it was cheap fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great finds at the thrift store, SD! And nice to find a bag to repurpose instead of leaving it sitting around gathering more dog hair.

One pillowcase done. It took just under two hours for the "15 minute" instructions but now that I know what I'm doing the 2nd one should go much faster. Sewing machine is working just fine. My guess is it had something to do with the christmas fabric, maybe the glitter was responsible for shredding the thread?

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad your machine is working again, CH. Sometimes I think thread has bad spots in it, which causes breaking and swearing, but then you work through the bad spots and it quits breaking. Sometimes rethreading the whole machine helps, as I'm sure you know. Lately I've had problems because the bobbin thread wasn't threaded quite right.

I got the shelf extension cut and prepped for painting so I can start that tomorrow. It's just a chunk of 2x2 I'll screw to the front of the shelf. Utilitarian stuff. That will make the shelf 1.5" deeper, just enough to fully support the tool bag.

The checkered fabric is too big to use for the bag cover, so will find something else. I don't have a lot of fabric that weight, so I want to keep it for a bigger project. The bag cover doesn't need to be heavy. Hope the smell of ganja washes out of the checkered stuff. LOL! Luckily it's not very strong.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The second pillow case took about 45 minutes. Part of that was having to cut and assemble pieces of a badly cut fat quarter for the different color cuff. I'm glad I got a deal on those FQs because if I had paid full price I'd have been upset a how off grain they were cut. Since I got to use something from my stash, it's a mere annoyance. The silver glitter on the "Paris" fabric did not seem to bother my machine. I think they came out very nice. DH says I need to make pillowcases for us, as they get lost in the wash like socks do.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1368.jpg

The necklace is ok. Hard to see that some of the beads are purple, they look black in the photo:

2019 Stash Management-dscn1366.jpg

The cross stitch. Not a lot to look at. You can sort of see leaves coming together at the top.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1367.jpg

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - another win! Good deal with the tool bag.

CH - those pillow cases look great. I really need to make another for me but I’m too dang lazy to get out the sewing machine. It’s an extra pillow and when I emptied out the batting to move to the attic for now, I had room to stuff it in a cabinet. Out of sight, out of mind, so I may never do it.

For a change of pace I did math all last evening. Or supervised math. The calculator did the actual work - I just told it what to do. I love my little pattern bobbin cards. I went through all the full coverage patterns, plus two or three others with no background, but big. On the back of the little cards I put the stitch count, design size for 18 and 25 count, and total number for stitches for a measure to really compare them. They ranged from a low of 15,700 stitches to a second highest, the robin, at 199,901. Not the one to have started with. The green trees are large too, at 93,750, in the top third.

The actual largest is a jellyfish that is on white, though it’s s loose watercolor style with some random splashes of color. It’s had been in and out of my wish list for a long time, and when I did an order from Heaven and Earth Designs, the mother lode of big spectacular patterns, I decided since it was a frequent wishlist resident I should just go on and get it. Lots of unstitched white too. Those things led me into a sad lack of due diligence and when it came and I looked at it - OMG! It’s enormous. If the full background was stitched, it would 307,704 stitches. With the long stringy tentacles and not background stitches abutting them, I would probably have to do it in full cross rather than half cross. If so, it would be faster to do the background so I could use half cross. However, that one may stand as an error of judgment, never started. When will I learn to check full coverage patterns carefully and rationally weigh the I-love-it against the OMG-it’s-huge?

Ive just finished pulling fabric and floss for the spring pattern and the second smallest full coverage. The smallest is a lightning bolt and the multiples for it are in the CXC order. This one is a jungle Buddha. I found some patterns someone had made from photos she took on a trip to the East - some of the beautiful classic statues. Being smaller the shading won’t be as refined as in the larger ones, but I really liked them and they are very different from what I usually do. I got three of them. This is the smallest but they are all fairly close in size. I’m doing it in half cross, the first trial of that method, with DMC on blue gray 18.

This was way too long a post, but I’m eager to get into these and just babbled on. It’s been a while now since I’ve stitched.