2019 Stash Management - Page 188
Page 188 of 194 FirstFirst ... 88138178185186187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another day of odds and ends.

Got the first coat on the shelf extension.

I attached the chains on the birdhouses, got those assembled, and boxed them up, ready to be wrapped tomorrow.

In the mess of tools in the tool bag I repurposed, there was a triple outlet made to plug into a wall socket. It had covers over its outlets, but they had broken off. I drilled new holes in strategic places and reattached the covers with little zip ties. Then I made a cover for the prongs on the outlet, using some styrofoam from the trash, so the prongs won't damage my new bags. My extension cord that lives in my travel bag also has a triple outlet, so I will be able to plug the 'new' sockets into it and have 5 places to plug stuff in. Could be handy.

I dragged the stepstool into the sewing room and fetched down a 2" foam cushion. Then I dug in the pack cloth tote and found an old cushion cover. Cutting the foam in half made the 2 halves a perfect fit for the cover, which in turn made the new cushion a perfect fit to lay on the floor under the drop down ironing board on the end of my work table. Poor Shadow always wants to lay where I'm working, on the cold, hard floor, right in the way where we want to walk. I got sick of moving a pad back and forth from the living room, not to mention we often forget to move it. Now she has a permanent pad that's out of the way. Poor girl should have had that a long time ago, especially since it wasn't even any work or expense. But it's all good now and she likes it.

I got the dust cover done. Not my best work but it's okay and will do the job. I'm happy I found a use for the pieced blocks and also the what-was-I-thinking blue fabric on the ends, which I also used for backing. I like how it turned out.
    2019 Stash Management-20191223_124037_1577129044674.jpg

Husby went shopping out of town. He's nuts. He decided the day before Christmas Eve would be a good day since it's Monday and a workday. 44 yrs and I still don't understand Norwegian logic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-20191223_124112_1577128912612.jpg  

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Renmerc, we love Time Team! One of the episodes is even set in the village I used to live in when my family was over there. It was funny seeing them dig up my old softball field. Sometimes you can find episodes online. I hope you're able to figure out a way to play your DVDs.

SD, there's a surprising number of people who haven't figured out that christmas is on the same day every year. I hope yours finds what he's looking for and gets home safe. Mine just decided to go over to the mall to get a haircut.

Been doing semi-random stuff here all day. Ran to the drugstore this morning. Did another strand of green thread on the x-stitch. Getting tired of green. Remembered I needed to double check BIL's address before sending the annual christmas BBQ. (Why is it when you want to sit quietly and sew all the stuff you forgot comes popping into your head?) Glad I checked with him because they are taking the kids out of town for 2 weeks so I have to ship to a different address this year. Got to wrap the pillow cases and mail them tomorrow.

Worked on the blue quilt. It looks a mess because I don't have room to lay it out flat. DH saw it and said "It looks like a tornado hit your sewing room". I said "Yeah, that's what I think every time I walk in there."

I measured my remaining blue fabrics and will have to do some calculations to figure out the next ring. It's only 4ft across, but feels bigger.

2019 Stash Management-dscn1382.jpg

Nice basket cover, SD. That's a fun blue fabric, but yeah, hard to work with.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby got back okay. The van even got up the hill on the first try, and since he had the van, we finally could get the weather stripping for the side door we can see daylight around.

I keep a note pad by my machine so I can write down the stuff I think of while I sew. I was working on my first novel during the time I did contract sewing and did a lot of writing while I sewed. I never took notes then though, just made up stuff in my head and typed it up later. I think the repetitiveness of sewing all those boots which didn't require thought just let my mind focus on creativity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The folks here do Christmas in a big way. I’m the holdout with gift cards and the crochet bags - lol. I do easy. LG had such a pile she decided to save part of them to open on Christmas Eve. For the first time I gave her just a book and a gift card like everyone else. She’ll have more fun shopping than just ripping into another package or two.

I got the big whiteboard I requested, and another cart like the one I’m using for my cross stitch. Just a couple of days ago I was wishing I had another. And a bunch of other stuff. The star presents of the evening: a metal detector for one of the guys who was so excited he almost had to be restrained from going out with it last night, so he just played with it in the kitchen detecting the metal there - lol. And for his dad, I guess to honor the blend of the Philippines and Louisiana, a rotisserie pig roaster for pigs up to 85 pounds, with all the pig roasting accoutrements, including fire impervious gloves that could probably withstand a nuclear blast. Last week Sharon also bought an enormous grill for out here, the sort on a trailer bed you can haul. Big. He is our bbq master and all I can say is no pig or chicken is safe. The plan is also to build an outdoor pizza oven this summer. Can you tell Sharon likes to feed people? Feed a lot of people a lot of food? For her part she got the six mayhaw trees she been wanting. She envisions making gallons of mayhaw jelly that goes for a premium price around here. Leave me out if that project. My jelly making days are far in the past.

The gift that had us all staring at Sharon with our mouths open is for LG and is being saved for Christmas. A hover board - because “she really wanted one.” Our reaction was the contemporary version of “you’ll shoot your eye out!” We’ll see who ends up in the ER first. Any bets on the first injury? Wrecked ankle or knee? Broken nose?Broken bone? I’m going with concussion or other major head trauma. Actually the athletic girl should be fine. It when the adults start lining up for a go that I expect the carnage to begin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I said the three strands on 18 count was hard to sew. It turned out to be the needle. Another thing I’ve learned about recently is another brand of needles called Pat’s (or someone’s) Favorite Needles, or something like that. They are ridiculously expensive, but the reviews were often such raves it made me curious. I found the cheapest five pack on Etsy or eBay to give them a try. I agreed with everyone that they were good needles, but didn’t find them anything special. However last night I got one out to try with this and what a difference! This is now very close if not equal to normal stitching. Maybe it would be worth it for size 28 on this and the25 count. Anyway, I’m really glad this got a lot easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DC, I have heard those are good needles, but I'm not ready to drop the money on them yet. Sounds like you guys had a heck of a holiday party. Can't wait to hear about adventures with the hoverboard, metal detector and bbq pit. What a wonderful community you live in.

I wrapped a couple of small gifts for DH today and put them near the tree. There is one more box... the box is part of the gift... with special snacks and a few small items, that I will set out tomorrow night.

I expect christmas eve to be a quiet day. I have counted out my pinwheels and am ready to resume work on that.

SD, I keep note pads next to my machine, too. I have lots of lists of projects to finish.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hilarious! What a fun time your party sounds like. I will also be awaiting the hoverboard reports, which I hope will not involve ER visits.

Glad the new needles are making your stitching easier.

We don't much do gifts here. I got a new serger plus my new bag set, so my Christmas was more than covered since both were wants, not needs. Husby bought a new activity tracker watch to replace the Fitbit he lost, right before he found the Fitbit. LOL. We bought some new toys for the dogs, and bought or made small things for Mom. Shadow got her new pad today. Our Christmases are always low key. Mostly we happen to buy stuff around Christmas and call it gifts, which works for us.

CH, I would be afraid to make a list of sewing projects. Maybe I should though. I forgot the plan to make a sweatshirt quilt and almost got rid of some stuff I need for that. I should get that quilt made. It would probably stand up to the dogs better, when Storm wrestles Shadow down to the bed so he can sit on her. He's such a bratty little brother. Poor girl. They completely destroyed the last bedspread I made. A sweatshirt quilt would go relatively fast, I think.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A sweatshirt quilt would be fun.

I don't have a list of every project, I wouldn't want to dig through this mess and try to list them all. Some are likely permanently shelved, like various costumes. Every year I look around and make a list of 10-15 projects I'd like to finish for the year. Some are big like a quilt, some are small like a ribbon brooch, some get finished like those zipper pouches, and some don't, like the casserole dish carrier. It helps me remember what is in the pile, and sometimes gives me a place to go to refocus my efforts. It's a reminder that I do have projects, not just a pile of crap, and that I don't need to be buying more random crap.

I really want to get to the casserole carrier Real Soon Now so I can use it during the winter months. It's going to be 4 hours of design and pattern modification, swearing and banging my head on the table, and 30 minutes of sewing. Iv'e hesitated an entire year. I also have the purple blocks I made with my cutter almost 2 years ago, won't make a large quilt, possibly a wall hanging. Would be a nice one to display for spring. I have almost worked on it a couple times.

One other thing I want to do this year is keep up better with my blog. My last post was in March, listing my top 12 project goals for 2019. I attempted 5 of the 12 on my list. Where did the year go?

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the party sounded fun.. and presents people can't wait to use is always good. patterns..well lol the amount saved in ravelry and links for crochet plus mags. found fabric and a pattern that I bought in the states w the gifts I had bought. forgot I had it.. if we had a fire...
    didn't sleep much so went to work early to avoid all the crowds hard when it is a store but apparently gets busier later in the day and of course 5 mins before closing xmas eve. dh had appts and after I hit library to return dvds. now of course there are holds that weren't there earlier so dh will get them tomorrow. last presents came in the mail.

family drama cus xmas got sorted and now a change of plans for something else new years. not motivated to do much.. not much cooking takeout last night leftovers and chicken today. tree is up, decorations, kids can clean, cards need to be done and mailed but... got a haircut and decided to splurge and got gel nails and pedicure. my nails are bad. don't grow etc. we got tickets for movies tomorrow. have doc appt and meeting friend in the morning. did do the 2 scrunchies last night to go w friends card. and started another hat. really need to finish more projects before starting more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If I had my way, gift exchange would stop, but you can’t fight the culture of your community. Of course I have done some over the top gift buying this year, but it was all for ME. Apparently I need to work a little on this spirit of Christmas thing - LOL. Part of it is just that I have seen a lot more Christmases come and go than the others. Sharon is that way too for herself, but loves to indulge the younger group. Her thing is decorating and feeding people. Also, they pretty much save up the big stuff for Christmas presents, or birthdays. I just get what I want or need through the year. I think that’s a lot of what makes Christmas such an apparent extravaganza here.

I’ve given up on annual lists. That’s one reason I’m trying it in seasonal bites this year. Too long a list is overwhelming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A list does help focus. I make lists a lot, just not so much craft or sewing projects unless I plan to start them soon. The exception is making lists of sewing projects related to a bigger category, like camper mods. This yr, that included the AAR, straps for clothesline supports, bedding for my bed mod, pantry basket liners, bags, etc. But things like the shower mod, new handrail, undercounter storage mod, replacing AC, etc, were on the same list. I already have my mod list started for 2020.

I'm trying to figure out what I could do with all the crenoline I've cut out of wedding gowns. So far, the only thing I can think of is using it to stabilize the sweatshirt quilt blocks. Probably I will end up tossing most of it. Hate that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Same thing here, D. If we have a want or need, we just buy as it comes up. We sometimes have a special meal or snacks but that's about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We do a low key holiday as well. We buy some presents for each other and a few other people. I make some presents for a few family members. However, I also get my end of the year bonus around this time. So the amount I have to spend on myself is more than the amount of gifts I get.

This year we decided not to put up our regular tree, which was only a four feet table top tree. We just have some mini trees and a wreath. I just felt pretty low energy and we decided not to do it.

We are however making some special food for Christmas. We did chocolate covered fruit earlier.

We did get a new TV right after Thanksgiving. We had talked about replacing it before and it was on sale.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pig-roaster sounds perfect but I was shaking my head about the hoverboard.....
    Working on 2nd hand warmer, plan to finish today and put away. JoAnn ad appears to have the Big Twist yarn on sale 4/$5 (6 oz skeins I hope) starting Thursday and I am really tempted. It is quite soft and suitable for baby projects as well as elderly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not going to get dgd's quilt done for Christmas. I needed to clear the sewing table off so I'd have room to maneuver it, but just didn't get it done. This week and next we'll be getting everything put back to normal and the table will be cleared off. I will get it done soon. I'm not going to let another year go by. Then I'll start on the other quilt and get it finished. Then I plan to start some homemade gifts for next Christmas. I have a plan in my mind. Maybe I should write it all down and keep myself accountable. Yeah, okay.