2019 Stash Management - Page 19
Page 19 of 194 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969119 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At 75, we'd be complaining about our broken AC. We're supposed to get 5 inches of snow today and tonight.

Finally! We got the big knotty pine headboard we salvaged 3 or 4 years ago moved into the bedroom and set in place. Not attached to anything, but it's progress and it's out of the LR. I've been putting off dealing with it for lots of reasons but the most important one was we needed a shelf added across the top. I've been dithering all this time about about how to match the finish so it didn't look like a tacky add-on, but couldn't get it right. I finally decided to sacrifice one of the side rails, since of course it's a perfect match. I had thought of that a long time ago but didn't really want to use a 2x8 instead of a 1x8. Fortunately the bed frame is massive itself, so it does not look over built or out of place. I've been letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, which in this case has been paralyzing. This whole bed frame thing will be a huge project, but at least it's a start. It will be worth it. Still can't believe someone just threw it on the trash heap. What a waste. They could have at least put it in the shed out there for someone to salvage. Good thing we found it right away before something got dumped on it or the bulldozer got it. People wasting perfectly good, expensive stuff like that just makes me mad.

We found the cord cover we've been looking for over the past year. It was behind the headboard in the LR, for reasons that remain a mystery. But at least now I can get that put over the extension cord that powers my work table, so it doesn't get damaged being walked on. It's in a very low traffic area but still.

Small progress, but I'll take it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good job everyone. We're at 48 degrees now so I think I'll take the dog for a gooood loooong walk.

I assembled 1 more quilt block and stored it. Cut some more scraps to standard block sizes and stored.

I layered the "inherited" yellow/green quilt top with the sale batting and an old white sheet for the back. I noticed sheet has a light stain but the top itself is spotty in places. So "not perfect" but better than being in storage for another 60 years.

The 17 butterfly blocks were also found in storage. Each butterfly is a different fabric but all appliqued w/ black thread. The 32 leaf blocks were already assembled in with green lattice fabric the same as the yellow flower quilt. Each leaf different fabric and a matching thread. I had a go at hand quilting the leaf cover but gave up, disassembled and trashed the green fabric which I hated anyway. I think butterfly blocks would look nice set in a black background fabric with small multi-color flowers.

2019 Stash Management-img_0920-sm.jpg
    2019 Stash Management-img_0922.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think so too. the yellow flower one is nice. allergies hitting hard but actually snowing here a bit like a 1/3 of an inch. had a ragged small tablecloth that was in the clean laundry the middle basically gone so cut it up all the embroidery parts to be used for patches or something in the future.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cut up an old heavy tablecloth into napkin sizes. It was stained but I was able to get some fairly large unstained areas. It was good heavy printed cotton fabric. Or you could make place mats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like that you're reclaiming the vintage quilts and blocks. I like putting old stuff to work and letting it see the light of day. The flower quilt looks so cheery. I like the others, too.

I had to laugh the other day. I needed bias tape to hem one of the little gowns, and I found the right color in an unopened package I got in a big bag of assorted bias tape from SA, for which I paid $1. The price sticker on the bias tape was from Penney's and it said 21 cents. I wonder how old that is.

I didn't do anything today except moving the headboard. It was nice to just relax.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I found out why Little Girl was convinced the party was on Wednesday, which is Sharon’s actual birthday. Nobody told her it was today because she is totally incapable of keeping a secret. We all had a good time.

Sharon said she will keep giving out the scarves so I guess I will keep making them. I have a bunch of audiobooks in the lineup I want to listen too and it is really great to be working through all this variegated yarn. I have given her, I think, 41 so far. I’ll do it until I just can’t face another one. The embroidery is for my own amusement but this is making a lot of kids and teenagers happy. For the teens it sounds like they are less for warmth than a fashion statement. Sharon is astonished at all the ways they can find to wear them. I think of the girls doing that but apparently the boys are just as crazy for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That makes me smile, D. I can imagine kids who don't have much would love to get those scarves. I was one of those kids, from a family with enough but not many extras. Getting something new and pretty was special.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc - nice "stash" of scarves. I'm sure people will appreciate getting one.

Finally warmed up from the bitter cold temps on Thursday. Temps on Thursday were around 17*. Temps yesterday were around 50*.

Finished skein #3 and almost done with skein #4 on the p/g afgan over this weekend, even with going out on Saturday. The one event I wanted to go to Saturday afternoon was close to home so it didn't take long to get back. I'll probably be able to finish skein #4 and start skein #5 tonight. The afgan now covers my lap. Glad to have something to start covering my legs while it's cold outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Have any of you ever used one of those round knitting looms to make hats? I would branch out and make hats but I really don’t like crocheting them. Maybe I just never had the right pattern. I would appreciate any info on the looms.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    Have any of you ever used one of those round knitting looms to make hats? I would branch out and make hats but I really don’t like crocheting them. Maybe I just never had the right pattern. I would appreciate any info on the looms.
    I've purchased one that I can hand crank but have yet to try it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had one. The hats weren't really big enough for adult size and there's no way to adjust the one I had. The worst was if one of the hooks failed to catch the yarn, it was a nightmare to try and correct. When it worked right it was fun though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have all the different sizes. I found it hard on my wrists. bought them when they first came out years ago. but my kids used them for scarves. ds is making a hat.. when he is not playing video games so that won't be finished anytime soon lol he got some of the ones for blankets etc for xmas from a friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I think I would be better off just finding a simple hat pattern. I found several online for just plain beanies that have lots of sizes. Better not to buy anything else that I might not like.

I’m at the ophthalmologist. The vision exam is done, but I have yet to see the doc. It’s about 1.25 hours after the appointment time. Sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished skein #4 on the p/g afgan and started skein #5. I have the feeling I will need all the skeins I ended up buying, except for the one extra purple one. Michaels only sells yarn online in packages of 3 skeins. Joanns, at least, is willing to break these packages up if needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On Saturday I took the one skein of the mulberry mix color I had and pulled out the yarn I was sure would look good with it. Nope. The mulberry is a muted grayed color and the two or three I was counting on didn’t work. At all. Why, you ask, didn’t I do this before I ordered more of it? Because why would I do anything so logical as that? Apparently you can return online buys at any store and if so, I will probably ditch that part of the order and do something completely different for that basket. Meanwhile I made a scarf from the skein I had and have decided I just don’t like the color. If I can’t return the yarn locally I’ll just use it for scarves and consider it my not getting my ducks in a row tax.

I’m getting a slow start this morning, working through a big cup of hot tea. With the weather systems moving through I’m headachy this morning and low on enthusiasm. The forecast had been for rain and thunderstorms from today through Friday, but now it’s just predicted for Thursday and most of next week. Today was going to be - finally - cleaning out the fridge and freezer. I still want to do it, but I’ll see how the day goes. It’s not urgent enough to power through a headache for it. It’s supposed to be 75-76 this afternoon. I’ll open up the house. Yesterday I couldn’t since I was in town.

The yarn order is supposed to arrive today. If it does I’ll probably switch to the baskets.