2019 Stash Management - Page 190
Page 190 of 194 FirstFirst ... 90140180187188189190191192193 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your Christmas does sound perfect, CH. What crafts did you get and do?

Sorry you didn't feel well during Christmas, D, but I know for you missing crowds of people isn't a hardship for you. Hope the antbiotics do their thing quickly.

Martha, looks like your husband knows you well! Fun mug.

Mom was very happy about the birdhouses and could not stop talking about how much she would enjoy having a couple of birdie families where she could watch them. I hope someone moves in next spring. She was also very excited about the new little electric skillet, more than I thought she would be. Apparently the old one is in bad shape, so it's lucky we got her the new one. She uses the old one all the time. She liked her other stuff, too. We're all hard to buy for, so it's nice when I can figure out gifts she actually wants and likes. Not that she would ever say she didn't like something, but I can tell.

She gave us cash, always welcome. It's been added to our travel fund.

Husby has healed up enough that he was able to enjoy a complete turkey dinner, so he was happy. It's only been a week since his 3 teeth were pulled, so I think that's pretty darn good.

Not sure of our schedule today. I want to buy groceries but the roads might be bad. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so in theory we will have one day between today's storm and the one set to arrive Saturday. I don't want to start painting the desk till we will be home till it's completely done, because I have to paint it in the LR and don't want maniac dogs crashing into it while we're gone. If they knocked it off the scaffolds there could be serious damage to lots of things. So I want to get errands done for the next week before I start the desk.

I decided I need to figure out punch needle embroidery. I want a small, portable craft I can drag along when I have time to kill. I haven't taken the time to figure out foundation fabric yet, but I've been looking into it lately. I want to avoid buying fabric if I can, so some experimenting is in order. I may have bought a set of punch needles. Can't recall for sure, so I need to find that out. I want to do some Aliner/camping themed projects. When we were at the rally, they had door prizes for most people, but not everyone. I think they ran out of money, but it didn't seem right to us. I want to figure out some quick, cheap, but nice projects I can donate as needed. Besides, I want to learn punch needle. It looks fun and I like the effect and it overlaps with cross stitch so it won't take additional storage. Wins!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I’m fine today. I finish up the antibiotic. It’s just a three day course. Except for the morning cup of tea, I’ve been virtuously staying with water, but today I’m going back to the usual routine of always having iced tea within reach.

I want to start on the house today. First up is collecting everything in one place that’s going to the attic so when someone can haul it up for me, it will be ready. Then I think I’ll start shifting some stuff in living, just because I love changing things around, though with the windows, a big table, and all the bookcases there aren’t many options. I also need to carry out all the Christmas boxes. So decluttering and regrouping.

This evening I’ll continue with the Christmas car. There’s a lot of snow and white on white isn’t much fun. On the other hand it goes pretty fast. I would like to finish up that area over the next few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear everyone is feeling better. I postponed yarn-buying at JoAnn. I want to de-stuff 2 poinsettia fabric pillows and re-make with a button closure and pillow insert removable. That will reduce the storage space needed but allow me to keep them for holidays. Changing size as needed to fit existing pillow forms.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you're better, D.

Great idea to change pillow covers, DLR.

I not only found my punch needles, but a whole yd of weaver's cloth, plus some good size scraps of other potentially suitable foundation. Just have to figure out a beginner pattern for practice.

It's mukluk weather here!
    2019 Stash Management-20191226_114212_1577382329500.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As all of you know, when you start thinking of moving things, it’s the first stone of a landslide. I think the whole house will end up getting a makeover. Changing things around always renews my energy. At least mental energy. I’ll be exhausted when it’s done.

All the yarn and crochet thread is moving to the attic, and if there is room, I may send the fabric up there to. It can always come down again, and I’m not using it now anyway. That would be better in totes than plastic bags though and would need to get some. All the ones I have are in use.

I need to keep planning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

D, I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

Spirit Deer, those mukluks are really nice. Are they indoor only. I would worry about them getting messed up outside.

Early this week I had to put my fake fur boot shoe covers in the wash. One of the buttons came undone and some part of the edge got mud on it. Washing fake fur can be problematic sometimes. After coming out of the wash it looks a more like a sheep skin than fur. However, it still feels nice and soft. And I think the new texture is okay too.

I had success with the thread I used the alcohol markers and rubbing alcohol on. The first couple washes bleed a little, but after the third soak it seemed okay. The color stayed pretty close to the original. It did not fade to pastel colors like some hand dyed things do. Both this and the painted yarn were heat set with an iron. I feel like tossing them in the wash would have made a tangled mess.

I am thinking of trying it again, but with using just the markers. I do not think I really need the rubbing alcohol to blend the colors together. And I think I could do that without getting colors all over my hand. It seems like the drawing on thread could be a do almost anywhere type activity.

I have 7 skeins left from the silk thread I bought. I could also try experimenting with some cotton thread and floss I have.

I have gone back and forth with craft goals. For right now, I am just doing things for fun with no set goals in mind. I have some craft goals in the back of my mind. But they need to wait till I have less going on in my life. Some years I have gone with craft plans. Maybe that is goals but without using the word goals? Right now I do not really feel like doing that either, just one day at a time with craft stuff.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry, Kathy, but your question about not being able to wear mukluks outside made me LOL. 😁 No worries wearing these muks outside. They are tough as nails work boots used by mushers, cross country skiers, expeditioneers, snowmobilers, ice fishers, little kids, mail delivery persons, loggers, you name it. They're sold all over the world in cold climates for all kinds of outdoor winter activities. They are based on construction and materials used by natives in the Arctic, so there are centuries of R&D behind them, and a more modern version was developed for an expedition by dog team to the North Pole in the 1980s, followed by another sled dog expedition across Antarctica in 1989-90. Both sets of team members relied on these boots to keep their feet from freezing, literally. If the muks get dirty, they can be hand washed. A light coating of water repellent annually helps keep them clean, too. The only thing I have to be careful with is trying not to step in spilled gas at the gas station, because that makes the rubber soles gummy. I can't say enough good about these boots because I've not only worn them for 30 yrs myself, but know them inside out because I used to make them. Best winter boots in the world, IMO.

We did errands today, since the roads were wet but not slick. Luckily, this storm was sort of a dud. Glad that's done. Errands, I mean.

We moved the desk out so the snoopervisor has time to inspect before he insists on doing that with wet paint involved. He's inspected once now, within minutes of the desk being moved. I don't know if further inspection will be required or not.

I cut a 3" stack of 2.5" squares from DfG scraps and have die cutter envy now. I'm looking at you, CH. 😁 I still have a little pile yet to cut, so I can get one more thing off my work table.

We ran into one of Husby's former coworkers today, so she gets this week's Husby sighting award. LOL. Apparently it's been a topic of discussion that nobody sees him. We usually run errands on weekday mornings when they're at work. She encouraged him to go to the weekly craft group, so maybe he will. I would go more if I didn't have to drive alone at night, and it would be good for both of us to get out of our box once in a while. We're not very social so it's an effort, but at least half that group are women he worked with so he'd have plenty of people to talk to and have things in common with. No craft group next week, but probably the week after, so maybe I can get him to go. I still have a latch hook rug to finish.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH gave me a pair of mini stitch kits, you know, the kind I was trying to find back in October. They will be good travel projects. I got a new journal to write in, I'm particular about the brand I like and they are no longer made, and getting hard to find. DH also got me the dish towel that says "A clean house is a sign of a broken sewing machine" I also got a wet palette. That's a special box, with a sponge and special paper for keeping artists paint from drying out. So I can put paint down, and walk away from a project for several days and come back and my palette is just as I left it. I got DH a couple of new models I think he'll enjoy, a new pocket/utility knife, and the two new shirts.

JA was surprisingly not busy. They did not have much left for their 70+20% off sale. Not a lot I wanted in the first place. I did clean up on the clearance christmas socks for next year. I bought gift bags, too, because they were cheap. I went by Tuesday Morning but did not see anything there that really grabbed me. Bought a few small things for a gift I need to send next week, and 2 small loaves of panettone for myself.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your projects sound like fun, CH. They should keep you both busy.

I need to read through the instructions for the table runner kit Husby's coworkers gave him when he retired. Maybe I can help him learn how to cut stuff so he has something started before we go to crafting. He's always reluctant to try new things (damn his parents!) but I'm going to remind him he knows how to measure and cut accurately for carpentry, and it's the same skillset, just different tools. He'll get it.

The weather guy is all full of doom and gloom. He's saying we're supposed to get 12"+ of snow with possibly 1/10" of freezing rain and 40 mph winds. I'm sure that won't bring down any power lines. It's December, almost January. We should not have to even think about freezing rain. I sure hope NWS is wrong. This mess is supposed to go from 9 AM Saturday through 6 AM Monday, so the fun and games will last for a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ugh, yes, we're supposed to get some of that weather down here, too. The freezing rain, anyways. Tomorrow I'll double check for milk and cat food, and see if I need to get anything. The fridge is stuffed with christmas leftovers, I was hoping to skip groceries this week.

Nice boots, SD. I would worry about that pretty bead work getting caught in branches or something.
    Stop trying to organize all of your familyís crap. If organization worked for you, youíd have rocked it by now. Itís time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That sounds like truly awful weather, SD. Those who live in such climates are fortunate when they are happy to stay at home.

The next lot neighbors gave me an Amazon gift card - woohoo! - and a cute sleigh made of candy.

Iíve made a big yarn decision. I had just finished bagging up all my Red Heart to go live in the attic for a while when it occurred to me that a better place for it would be with the woman who makes most of the scarves for Sharonís kids. She made about 250 last year. Sheís retired and crochets constantly. I was going to use it all to make donated scarves and lapghans, so Iím not depriving myself of anything I was saving for me, except that I had gotten to make a small yellow bag that is already stuffed in one of the big trash bags for storage. I wonít miss those few skeins. If I get in the mood to make some scarves, I have some random HL yarn and a good amount of Pound of Love. The only thing I really want to make for myself some day is an afghan with the DK weight yarn I bought from the UK. She uses Red Heart so wonít be scornful of it. She is probably coming out for New Yearís so she could get it all then.

Iím moving four small bookcases to the bedroom from the utility room and small closet I want to empty. I have to clear those out tonight. One of the guys is off work tomorrow and will move them for me. They are stacked, two and two. I can do it, but heís about 99% less likely to drop one on this head than I am. He will also put all the bulky batting and poly stuffing in the attic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-cad219d8-b4d6-4df2-b5a3-318707841a05.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those muks aren't hiking boots, so they're not around branches. I have several other pairs I use for actual work, as needed. I did the beadwork pictured yrs ago and so far, so good. But I planned ahead, and made the center parts as completed medallions, then added the fringes. That way, if the fringes get damaged, I could remove them completely without the medallions unraveling. I've done several prs of muks and mocs, plus some jackets and haven't had much damage on anything. My jean jacket especially has taken a beating and still no broken beads or threads in 25 yrs of frequent warm weather use.

I'm going to give this design a try for punch needle. It looks like fun.
    2019 Stash Management-20191226_201528_1577412950639.jpg

Stay safe during the storm. It sounds like it could get ugly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to say I did consider if the loopy beaded fringe would catch on stuff and get broken, but it was an experiment. It's worked out well so far, obviously. And I do have a pr of muks I got for $10 at a garage sale that I wear for work. They were so cheap I don't have to care if they get damaged.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Now, see, what would happen if I had a pair like that is, I'd slip them on to do something simple like run the kitchen trash down to the compost bin, end up stepping on a branch hidden in the grass DH hasn't mowed, which would snag the bead loops and break them, while tripping me. I'd end up on the wet ground with trash flung across the yard and beads dripping into the grass.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The last of the cross stitch binge is done. I ordered the last thing on my list, the 25 count, fat quarters. A pale blue and mossy green, antique white, a yellowish cream, and a light non yellowish neutral. These cuts are big enough until I get to really large ones, which wonít be anytime soon at all. By then there will probably be other colors as well. I remember when it was only in white.

I spent the gift card. There is a kit I have long coveted, but itís a Vervaco and they are very expensive. Theyíre re made in Europe. Belgium? Iím not sure where. It was a little more expensive at Amazon, but thereís no shipping. I decided it was Christmas, I wanted it, I had a gift card, and I got it, kicking in a few extra dollars. I have been in love with this owl since I first saw it, but just couldnít swallow the cost. I donít know when Iíll get to it, but itís mine, all mine! Should be here in a couple of weeks. And now, nothing but floss for a long time. Really.
    Attached Images Attached Images