2019 Stash Management - Page 191
Page 191 of 194 FirstFirst ... 91141181188189190191192193194 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 2906
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! That sounds dire. The fringe loops aren't very long, shorter than loops on shoelaces, so under normal use it doesn't seem likely they will catch on something.

I'm starting to wonder if I should paint my desk. It's not my favorite color, but the finish it has is in decent shape. The top has a couple stains on it, but they're under the sewing machine. I want to change the color, but the dark blue I want to use up isn't the color I would want anyway. The more I think about it, the more it seems like painting a desk a color I don't even want just to use up the paint is more of a waste than throwing it away. I'd still have to paint it again sometime. What's the point?

I think I just talked myself out of painting a desk today. I feel better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a beautiful owl, D. You're going to enjoy him.

I never thought about looking at cross stitch on Amazon. Uh oh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Remembered I need a zipper to fix one of hubby's fleece jackets so off I go to JoAnn. If the yarn sale is good I will get some. Poinsettia pillows were dis-assembled and the fabric all ironed. The new size will be smaller to fit existing forms, and I will skip the ruffle and maybe use that fabric to trim a tote bag or something. Still researching silver to sell since the box is not "full" yet and I hate to waste postage. That is time-consuming by itself.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - lol. Same way I talked myself out of crocheting miles of yarn into scarves. I m happy to provide the yarn for a good cause. I’m just trying to outsource the production.

Happy dance here! Finally the large floss bobbins are back in stock and my order for them has shipped. The CXC thread has also just shipped. I’m gradually working my way through the AliExpress process. It is due by Jan 4 and the company has shipping protection until Jan 5. If it’s not here I can open a dispute or request extra time from the vendor on the protection. When it does arrive I have a link to verify that it arrived and is satisfactory. The payment will not be released to the vendor until I confirm arrival or the shipment protection expires on the 5th. That’s definitely a different system. You don’t get paid until the customer is happy. That must speed up resolving disputes!

What with one thing and another I didn’t get the shelves unloaded last night but I’m making progress. I’m going to grab s quick sandwich for breakfast and then do that. I also need to empty 4 oversized cubes of their large books - a hateful job - so I can move the table out perpendicular to the wall. Busy day.

Temp dropping here - it’s only supposed to get to 68 today. Back up to 72 tomorrow where it’s been parked for awhile. By Sunday it should be in the mid to low 60s. I know we’re in the south but this is nuts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep the yarn I was thinking was on sale - got 3 more of the pretty rose color and 1 white. I decided I want a shawl for myself, don't have a sweater or jacket in that soft pink shade. I got 1 yard of clearance fabric - gold/gray/silver reindeer print on a cream background. And the zipper I needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had similar thoughts on the bead loops myself. Surely they would get caught on something. Of course if I wore them inside, my cats would see the movement of the fringe and want to play with it. Maybe it would be safer outside than inside.

Of course, it is hard to predict what a cat will want to play with. I am surely not the only person who bought something for their cat only to have the cat not be interested. I once picked up a feather boa at thrift store because I thought my cats would love it. After all, the whole thing was feathers. They showed no interest at all in it.

I think the holidays are a good excuse to spend a little more as long as you can afford it.

I think a good rule of thumb is to set aside some money each month (or each year) for hobbies and small luxury items. Then you can spend that money without guilt or excuses.

I think I am going to splurge on a order of Valdani thread. It is pricey compared with DMC brand, but still something I can afford. It is not something I need. I have enough thread. But I tell myself it is okay to get it.

I think I am kind of a relaxed frugal. I am frugal on lots of things. And kind of frugal on others. Food is an example of kind of frugal. We rarely go out to eat. We cook most of our own food. But we spend a little more to get good quality ingredients and pricier fruit like berries.

We are able to have decent money to spend on our hobbies since we are fairly frugal over all. And we make pretty decent money. Possibly even decent money for this area. It is hard to tell because the average incomes are a bit misleading. The income inequality in this area is really high. For example, people making an average salary for DC are living in an apartment with roommates. The suburbs are a little more affordable.

I just found this little snippet about the more affordable suburb I am living in:

The average salary in Greenbelt, MD is $72k. Trends in wages increased by 0.6 percent in Q3 2019. The cost of living in Greenbelt, MD is 100 percent higher than the national average.

But take note that despite the cost of living being 100% higher, the average salary is not even remotely close being 100% higher than the national average.

Greenbelt is actually more affordable than DC - assuming you do not want to live a slum. The DC poverty rate is twice as high as Greenbelt. It makes DC look more affordable on paper, but it is really not.

Rambling quite a bit here. But the point is, I am not sure how I would categorize our income in light of all that. We do okay with what we make. But part of that is being frugal and having less expensive wants than many people in this area seem to have.

And a side effect of the high COL is that stuff I order online seems like more of a bargain for me than it does to lots of people here.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some years ago when I was frequently visiting friends in Silver Spring, I would almost faint at the grocery prices. For all it’s faults, there are some endearing things about Louisiana, like the COL.

I don’t feel guilty about much that I buy, but I have seriously spent too much on the cross stitch the last month or two, and that little owl kit really is an extravagance. Tra la la.

My Amazon package that has been wandering all over country is out for delivery. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’m taking a break, but have to get up soon and do some measuring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tra la la indeed! That's my attitude, too. LOL!

Speaking of which, D. I had to go over to Amazon and peek at the cross stitch kits, and we all know what that leads to.

I've been looking for a while for something to put on my sewing room door, something sewing themed, something that actually says 'sewing room'. This one is fairly small and simple and should make up relatively fast.

I still want to do the punch needle project I posted above, too. I'm looking for a good snarky comment to put on it. Right now I'm leaning toward "I sew so I don't have to kill people."

I've done a lot of stuff with loops on various beadwork, and never had a problem. And we also have cats, no problem there either. That's not to say there could never possibly be a problem, just there hasn't been so far. I don't baby this stuff, either. It's made to be used, not just admired. Besides, it's not the same as if I bought it at the price this stuff is worth. I DIY my beaded stuff, and my major investment in it is time. If something gets wrecked, I can remake it, repair it, or replace it, which makes it less precious than if I didn't have the skills I do. I have beaded boots that would sell for $600-$800, possibly more since the boots alone sell for over $200, jackets worth about $500. I wear them same as the stuff I get at a rummage sale for $2. That's what they're for, not to sit in a closet and not be used or seen. The beadwork by itself on the boots in the pic is worth $150-$200. If it dies, it dies. I enjoyed making it and enjoy wearing it. If it gets broken, oh, well. Or, long story short, tra la la.

I'm trying to get my work table cleared off so Husby can get started cutting his table runner, which I think might become an art object hung on the wall. It's 48" long which may or may not fit on our table. There's not a good way to make it shorter. He can decide when/if he gets it done. In between putting together an Amazon order and clearing the table, I'm sewing more quilt blocks, which is part of clearing the table, sort of. Multitasking breaks up the annoyance of dealing with this messy table.

I got the light strip glued on my serger. I put the cord clips in the wrong places but I think it'll work out all right. The light helps a lot, although I'll still probably want to use the gooseneck lamp I put over it, too. I've reached the age where there's no such thing as too much light. I'm going to order 2 more of the light strips, so I guess I like it okay. They're easy to deal with and not very expensive. My Tribute and my travel Brother would be improved with the light strips.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's trying to be sunny here but not managing it well. I've been alternating between housework and sewing. Put some christmas stuff in the closet, took compost out (did not trip in the grass), scrounged through scraps to see what I had left that I could cut triangles from. I suppose I *could* buy a couple new fat quarters on our trip next weekend, but I want to be sure I've used as much of the stash as possible first.

DH and friends have arranged a weekend in Joplin, MO. What's so interesting about Joplin, you ask? I don't know, but we're going to find out. Antiquing, I suspect. They have booked a "historic" little 2-star motel on RT 66. I am keeping expectations low. We will be in the company of good friends, at least. I hope the weather stays clear. I'm planning a stop at the pecan growers co-op, and I've located a couple of quilt shops in the area to check out.

Anyway... triangles to sew....
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been doing a little sewing again. In the past 6 months I've finished the binding on a quilt that I started 7-8 years ago. I had only half of it to sew on. Finished a quilt top I started 5.5 years ago, made a scrap lap quilt, a baby quilt, a baby quilt top, plu I started 2 new quilt tops.

Earlier this week I broke down and bought the first fabric in close to 5 years. It was 4th of July fat quarters for $0.50 each so I bought 16. $2/yard was a steal I couldn't resist.

I've been working on DHs rebel flaq quilt and when i need something mindless to work on it's been a fish quilt - all 2.5" squares.

If I can ever figure out how to get my pictures off my cell phone I'll post some.
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Livin Large View Post

If I can ever figure out how to get my pictures off my cell phone I'll post some.
    When you are using the FV site from your phone, look and see if there is a little paperclip symbol at the top of your screen. Tapping that should take you to your photos, and you can tap to select which ones to share.

It sounds like you've been doing a lot of quilting!

I got word from BIL that the girls received and were very happy with the pillowcases.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Two star places are not always bad. We stayed at a 2 star place when we went to Puerto Rico. It was a no frills place with no dinning options. There was a nice, but not fancy, lobby with a pot of free coffee. But there were lots of places to eat within a block or two of the hotel. The staff was nice and the rooms were clean. It was in a really nice area. There was an upscale jewelry place and an expensive hotel across the street.

But if you are ever in Baltimore, spend extra for a nice hotel. There are some pretty bad hotels there.

One good thing about a high cost of living area is that we sometimes get reverse sticker shocker when we travel. Things like "I can't believe this is all it cost for a taxi from the airport" or "I can't believe a restaurant this nice only charges this much." Visiting our hometown, my husband accidentally checked us into a super fancy place. Judging from the price, he thought it would be an average quality hotel - nice, but not fancy.

It does give me a skewed view of money though. Or maybe just a view that is in contrast to many people here. If I gave raw numbers about, it might seem like I am some fat cat burning through money. But I really not. Maybe a slightly pudgy cat who just got paid. But not a fat cat. And sometimes when people say something is expensive, it does not seem expensive to me. But I keep my mouth shut, because I still remember what it was like to live in a low cost of living area with a low paying job.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish we could compost here. I'm sure you weren't wearing beaded mocs with loopy fringe, otherwise you would have surely tripped. 😄

WB, LL. It will be fun to see your projects again.

I got the table tidied up though not done, a stack of the 3-triangle blocks done, and another 3" stack of sqares cut. The scrap pile is getting smaller.

It's been sunny and warm here today (33). The storm has been pushed back till noon Saturday and now we're only supposed to get 4-8". Fine by me. Less is more. We're still supposed to get freezing rain. Yippy skippy. It sounds like a good weekend to be home by the fire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Weather nerd just lowered the boom. Now we're expecting the storm to come in waves, with 18-24" total accumulating Saturday through Tuesday. Plus the ever popular freezing rain. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    When you are using the FV site from your phone, look and see if there is a little paperclip symbol at the top of your screen. Tapping that should take you to your photos, and you can tap to select which ones to share. )
    Thanks I'll try it that way. When I go to move them from my cell to my laptop no pictures show up to move and I looked in all the folders. I've done it before so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Stupid technology!! lol
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal