2019 Stash Management - Page 21
Page 21 of 194 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223243171121 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

D, I used to do OAMC cooking, but that was just too much work and mess. These days, I just make bigger batches of stuff one at a time. I usually cook 6 or 8 servings for the 2 of us and split everything up before we eat any of it. Sometimes I freeze it, sometimes we just eat repetitive meals till it's gone. The weeks I feel more like cooking, I make different meals every night for a while so I get a variety into the freezer. That way I still don't have a giant mess in the kitchen, just the mess of making one meal. I used to hate leftovers but now I love not having to cook so much.

I still keep things like browned hamburger/turkey mix, HM chicken nuggets, HM meatballs, uncooked meat loaf, cooked wild rice, and other components in the freezer, too.

I finished stripping the label off the trash can! Glad that's done. My hands are so torn up now. But it's all done. I probably should buff it to remove some of the scratches from the razor blades, but they don't really show so it's not a priority. I didn't expect to get that label off already, but I'm glad it's done.

I've been saving ideas from Pinterest, and tomorrow I plan to work on getting that all organized and printed and maybe some more patterns drafted. I need to make some gown fronts with the new little vest patterns to make sure they work now, before I need them in a hurry sometime. Working on all the stuff I did this week is helping me stay away from food, too. Win-win.

I wish I knew what happened to CH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wish I knew about CH too. Whatever happened must be serious, but there’s no way to find out.

The best laid plans and all that .... I went through the freezer in the fridge while I was cooking supper. I was going to do the big freezer after I ate, finish the grocery list and then do a Kroger run today to pick it up. Until the power went out. I ate the part of my supper that was done and spent the rest of the evening in the recliner - that I could not recline - bundled up in the colder and colder house, with a flashlight perched on my shoulder working word puzzles until it came back on around 11:30. At which point I finished cooking and eating supper and rejoiced in the light until I went to bed around 2:00 as usual.

I mixed some meal worms in the bird seed hoping the bluebirds would get some. Soon after I put some out while ago I saw them at the feeder for the first time. Then a few sparrows showed up and they skedaddled. Just now a huge flock of sparrows zoomed in so the larder is probably empty again. I’ll put out more this afternoon. It’s cold, damp, and windy today. The birds all look like giants with their feathers at maximum fluff.

With one thing and another, no crocheting yesterday. Maybe tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We do kind of a modified once week cooking. We do most of our cooking on the weekend. For vegetables we generally heat up frozen vegetables each day. Sometimes we will do something Friday if we run out of food. With both of us working and having long commutes, cooking every day just does not work.

I feel like even if we were retired, we would probably only cook every other day or every three days.

Now that I am back at work, I am back to doing crafts just on the weekend. I think if I had a small embroidery or hand sewing project in progress I might do a little bit each night. Or maybe at least a little bit some nights.

I feel like small hand sewing projects lend themselves to doing just a few minutes here and there. Sewing on my sewing machine does not feel that way to me. Even though one seam is something that can usually be done in a few minutes.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, I agree about hand projects vs sewing machine projects. Setting up the sewing machine makes it a big deal and I feel like I have to grind through it to be able to put the machine away. Also that kind of sewing seems to generate much more mess.

I’ve been planning to move some furniture. Originally I had my clothes in the utility room but about a year ago, I think, moved them into the bedroom and put bookcases in the utility room. I have never liked it. Today, suddenly, I’m in a do it or die mode. Unfortunately the reality is probably more like do it and die, because this weather change is doing a real number on my arthritis. I may try it though. I really, really want it done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think anytime stuff is inconvenient to use, it does not get used. Hence my insistence on tables and chairs for almost all of my sewing machines, pullouts in all possible kitchen cabinets, separate tables and cabinets, many on wheels, for power
    tools in the garage, stuff like that. It does make a big difference. Same in the camper. Especially in the camper. I overhauled all the storage in there so things were easy to find and easy to get. Otherwise it doesn't get used and it's a waste of space where there is no extra space.

I cooked 6 lunches for myself, a big pot of bean soup for suppers the next few nights, and my WW pretzels for breakfasts and snacks, so I'm in good shape for the next week.

I haven't gotten anywhere with the Pinterest stuff I wanted to print. I pinned about 50 pages, most of which are just pics. I want to dump them all in Word so I can reduce them and put several on each page. But I don't think I can load my old Office program on my new laptop. Microsoft wants a code word, which I don't have. It says I can reset it, but when I try, it wants the code word I don't have. Not helpful. I also still can't get into my e mail because it won't accept my password. It's been one annoyance after another with that new computer again today. It's a brand new computer and it's so aggravating I don't even want to use it. Waste of money and so disappointing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I start to sign in on a site on my phone that I don’t already have a password set or have told it to never remember it, like for banking, it pops up a friend’s email instead of mine. I have no idea why or how to fix it. I have not even emailed her years since we text. I feel your tech aggravation.

From 76 to snow flurries. Bah humbug! It’s changing to honest rain now though.

I’ve done zip today. Again. Oh well. So it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I could use Husby's computer except I hate his setup. I will spare you the gory details but among other things I have to sit turned to the side at his desk, which is very uncomfortable. I think we have to replace the Office software or at least Word, because the old stuff was only licensed for 3 computers, and we used it on at least that many. If I could get into my dang MS account, maybe we could remove the old laptop and then use the software we have.

I have 2 bottom halves of wedding gown sleeves I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I hate to just throw them out. I think I might be getting closer to a workable idea.

I thought I was burned out on the whole gown project, but I think I was just burned out on having a whole herd of totes and containers sitting all over the place. It's been nice to have a break though. Gathering up a bunch of new ideas has re-energized me. I'm ready to go back to work and make some more boy gowns and more pockets, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah-ha! I think I have the sleeves figured out. I should be able to get a small and a micro preemie gown out of the 2 sleeves. I took the buttons and buttonholes off one sleeve part and swapped them so the 2 sleeves button together. Once I cut the small gown, I can make the same button changes on the 2 pieces that will be left and should have enough for the micro preemie. I will make backs and bodices from something else. It's kinda hard to see, but here's a pic.
    2019 Stash Management-20190208_173133_1549669386131.jpg
    I thought I was done with girl gowns, but I guess not. Too many ideas keep popping up.

I hope I can find a good pink gown sometime this summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kathy you might enjoy embroidering a cuff bracelet. I see pictures & tutorials online. Small amount of fabric to make the cuff and embellish as you please.

One reason I like bead jewelry is that the projects are quick and the materials don't take much storage space. So I usually don't mind getting it out and putting away. I was thinking of that when I thought of combining embroidery w/ making a bracelet or a choker. You might embroider some shirt collars and cuffs and pockets also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last night around midnight I decided the furniture wasn’t going to move itself so I needed to at least start it. The real motivating factor was all the clean laundry just dumped on my bed because the plan had been to move the clothes rack and why hang it all up just to have to pull it down again before the move? However, if I planned to sleep in the bed something had to be done. First I had to move a long bench that had gradually collected clutter, so that was what I did last night. I ended up cheating with the clothes. I roughly folded them and stacked them back in the dryer from the cart I would need empty to move books. Voila! Usable bed and the first part of the move ready to roll today. I will have to do it in small increments but should be able to get at least the rack and bookcase that are trading places done. Then I will have the drawer unit and second bookcase to switch which will be easier. So that’s today’s agenda.

I have been binge puzzling with the code words, partly because it’s fun and partly because I think I’m getting tired of scarves. The yarn order is being delivered today though, so I’ll start on the baskets tonight. I really need to do those first to see what is leftover for the scarves. Well, I’ll probably finish the scarf I have started first. Maybe I can do that during breaks from the moving.

Freezer and cooking on temporary delay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was greeted by our lunches and suppers when I opened the fridge door to get out my breakfast apple. I was happy not to have to think about food for a few days. It helps so much to keep me on track. I know if I don't plan ahead, I usually fail. I ate the last chicken strip for breakfast, too, so probably should AF some more before too long.

I made a new pattern and then made a gown. The pattern needs minor adjustments. I'm not sure I like the gown, but it should work for a boy. That's lace on the top but not the flowery kind.
    2019 Stash Management-20190209_113234_1549735906393.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First break but not from moving. How easily I get distracted. I started some cooking after all but nothing too challenging. I found three packets of cooked chicken breast the other day in the fridge freezer that’s been there long enough for me to forget about it as well as some leftover chicken broth and a container of something that I think is probably the broth from crock pot roast long ago. Looked like soup. So that is started. I have some old veggies and opened frozen veg packages that can round it out. I have a package of frozen roll dough in a warm oven to quick rise, and while I’m eating supper I will probably make a sweet sour sauce for the part of the chicken that didn’t go in the soup, and cook a bag of brown rice for it that’s been in the freezer quite a while. That will solve the what to eat problem while I work at other things. The only downside to clean out the kitchen cooking is that there are so many containers to wash. Sigh.

Soon to the moving and then I can start in on the crocheting. The new yarn should be here in an hour or so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can freeze cooked rice, too.

Not getting anything done, except clearing off and putting away the stuff I dragged out for the gown. I'm just bored today, not like me at all. I think it's this retirement thing. I can't focus on much else. I guess that's probably normal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sewed 6 or 8 four-yard flannel strips to narrower strips for DfG liners, so those are ready to cut some other time when I feel like it. I also cut up 3 yds of fabric from GW. I got 83 shield pieces from that. I'm set pretty well for having stuff cut for DfG now, in case I don't feel like doing it some other time. Still have a tote full of fabric and everything else I need, so I shouldn't have any more expense for supplies this year, besides shipping. Of course, if I find suitable fabric cheap at thrifts or garage sales, I will pick that up, but that's always hit or miss.

My trusty 990 performed flawlessly. I hadn't used it since I took it in to be serviced and the tech dug a chunk of lint out of it. It's nice to have it back.

I need to make a good template for making DfG bags. It takes too long to mark label placement and stuff like that without one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our boy and his bear. He loves Bear.2019 Stash Management-20190210_163454_1549838394320.jpg