2019 Stash Management - Page 22
Page 22 of 194 FirstFirst ... 12192021222324253272122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cute photo.

This was a scheduled do nothing day because I did too much yesterday. I got all the furniture moving done except for a few odds and ends like putting empty containers back on top of the clothes rack. When I finally got the bed clearedvabout 1:00 last night, I was done and done in. I may crochet tonight but I’m just as likely to work puzzles. I’m addicted to them for the present. It’s just so easy to turn the page and do another. But that’s ok too.

The JA was not very successful. The gray and magenta/pink are great. The colorful one I got for the guy’s basket is way too bright, and the brown was the totally wrong brown for what I wanted to use with it. I will either regroup and use it with something else or return it. While ago I did something I’ve never had to do before - figure out a first communion present. Amid all the sweetness Amazon suggested there was a bright, contemporary “let your light shine” pillow cover that met the approval of those who know about these things. I can use the yarn return to buy the pillow form for it, so that’s timely. It’s not until May but for once I’ll be ahead of the game and have it ready.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I decided I want some cloth bags to use for popcorn when we travel. I'm hoping I can find some food safe fabric at JA to use for lining. I wanted to use some ripstop nylon I have till I did some research. But I will figure it out eventually.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some thread experiments. More words coming later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190211_071403760_1549889449150.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190211_071356157_1549889462550.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190211_071347440_1549889475231.jpg  

2019 Stash Management-img_20190211_071327080_1549889494138.jpg  

KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished skein #5 and #6 over the weekend and started skein #7 on the p/g afgan. They're moving along because they're relatively small (6oz). I think I will need ~14 skeins on this one because I made it a bit wider than usual. I did go out for a bit on Saturday then wasn't in the mood to do anything else once I got home (besides crocheting and watching TV).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those are great Kathy. I really like how they turned out.

It occurred to me that I may need to tone down the pinkness of one basket. I’m used to the mom/girl household with two pink enthusiasts, but dad will be here by Christmas. The mulberry yarn might actually work with it. I have some left over from the original skein I had so I’m going to experiment a bit before I do a JA return.

After I play around with that a bit I may carry on with scarves. I will probably see Sharon on the 18th and could give her a nice little group and let that be the last for this year. I have four done now.

Thursday I have a dental appointment and I can pick up groceries then. Other than that it can just be a go with the flow week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

More thread thoughts.

I am using the little hearts to test out some threads. My flower stitching is still pretty wonky. This post will refer to the pictures I posted earlier. today. If you are reading this using a normal size monitor, the first two close ups are close to life size. The third heart is actually a little smaller. I have a die cut pattern that cuts out three different size hearts at a time. The last picture shows the comparison.

This is one of my wool felt blend sheets.

The top picture DMC embroidery floss. This is with three strands, which seems to be a pretty standard number. I have a good amount of this.

The second is with the pearl cotton size 8. I thought pearl cotton had a bit of a sheen to it, but this was pretty matte. This is from the big batch of off brand pearl cotton I brought cheap.

The third heart is with three different types of thread. It is also an experiment to see if different thread thicknesses look good together. I don't think it works well here, but it might work depending on the design. After stitching with the size 8 pearl cotton, I though it seemed about the same size as crochet thread. So I tried a couple flowers with crochet thread. That is the one in white. The red is size 12 pearl cotton. The light pink was labeled size 80.

With thread sizes the higher the number, the thinner the thread. Crochet thread size numbers do not seem to be the same as pearl cotton numbers. I found a website with a handy comparison:

pearl 5 is a little thicker than size 10 crochet thread
    pearl 8 is about the same size as 20 crochet thread
    pearl 12 is about the same size as 40 crochet thread

The only sizes of pearl cotton I have seen are 3, 5, 8 and 12. You can also get crochet thread is size 30, though that it harder to find. Crochet thread also comes in the thinner size 80. I generally only see that at places specializing in tatting.

I have several small miscellaneous balls that do not have a label on them. They are probably 12 pearl or 40 crochet.

Right now I am leaning toward the crochet thread and pearl cotton over the embroidery floss. It is just easier to work with than something with three strands. I am kind of leaning toward the 12/40 size especially for smaller projects. Something larger might work well with a larger project. Both sewed okay through the felt, but the thinner thread went through much easier.

Size 30 crochet thread interests me as well. There is such huge size jump between the size 8 and size 12 pearl cotton.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished a puzzle. This is one of the pintoo mini puzzles. 368 pieces but they are really tiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190211_133905062_1549910611091.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love those hearts! haven't done much on the craft front. still have to wash and block mil shawl. did start on a c2c scrap afghan with double stands of the mandala yarn. been work and guides the last couple of days. and last night couldn't sleep until 4am and then up and down until 8. so only working on the scrap blanket today and throwing a frozen stuffed turkey breast and squash in the oven. snowed here so the world is at a stand still. cancelled guides for tomorrow since more snow is coming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love those hearts, Kathy. I just found this and thought of yours. https://pin.it/fuvghd5kosdg5d

I've been sorting and organizing some recipes and spices and doing a little decluttering. Not much but maybe it'll turn into an obsession. If I'm lucky.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I have more yarn than I actually need for the p/g afgan. Oh well, I can use them for scarves or donate them to a prayer shawl ministry at one of the local churches. If Knitwits was open during the weekend, I would donate the leftovers to them. Problem is, the program operates out of a local senior center and is only open during the week when I'm working.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL @ Knitwits. 😂 I'm sure they would appreciate your donation. Maybe you could drop it off somewhere else.

I made a batch of chicken breast, so that might help me stay on track with my food.

Been working on decluttering the kitchen island, too. I want to start a couple AGs today, so I have one running with a bleach solution in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think, at least to some extent, we can direct our obsessions. I can sometimes get obsessed with worrying about things, negative thoughts. But sometimes I can successful redirect this to being obsessed with something else - like reading fiction or debating what type of thread to go with. Kind of like not being able to stop a train, but being able to move it to another track. Sometimes I am not sure if I make sense to anyone but myself.

I read an interesting blog post on line about someone embroidering with sewing thread. That is hand embroidering with the thread on spools designed to go into your sewing machine. After all it is not like there are embroidery police who will come after you. Well I suppose if I was part of some embroidery group, the craft snobs would come after me. I have also found places online that sell yarns for weaving. Some of them see thin enough to embroider with. Of special interest is something called 10/2 pearl cotton. Which seems like it might be somewhere between pearl cotton 12 and pearl cotton 8. I think the /2 means it is a two strand yarn. These come in cones or mini cones. Even the mini cones hold a lot more than the small balls of pearl cotton generally available. The mini cones are 4 ounces. Valdani brand balls and DMC brand of pearl cotton are both 10 grams. So the cones and mini cones cost more but are still a lot cheaper per gram or per yard.

Assuming I would actually use that much thread of one color. I am playing around with the idea of dyeing threads. I have some "professional quality" dyes for cotton around, but I am thinking of dumping them for Rit dyes. The pro dyes come in powdered form. You are supposed to wear a face mask because the powder is toxic to breath in. That makes me lean more toward a liquid dye like Rit.

I just found out that DMC has 225 colors of pearl cotton 8 and only 40 colors of pearl cotton 12. I was really leaning toward pearl 12, so that was a little annoying. I could check out other brands though.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I liked embroidering with perle when I played around with threads a little last year. I also found a site online that sold yard lengths of huge varieties of novelty yarns in color bundles. I bought some and think they will be fun too. They will have to be couched rather than sewn but should add some interesting texture.

I finished a scarf with macaw, the pretty RH blue/turquoise. That’s number 46 or 47 - I’ll have to look at my finished projects list to be sure. I think I’ll bring the total up to 50 and call it good for this winter. Then I’ll do the baskets along. I’m ready to make some blocks to embroider. I thought I would go on and do the placemats but I really don’t want to get into that now. I’ll use the machine to begin but these will be small projects and going forward it would probably be simpler just to hand piece them. How long could it take? Anyway with all the seams being embellished irregular hand stitching shouldn’t matter.

My work table has filled up with yarn. I need to clean that off because I want to do taxes today or tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just checked and the scarf I just finished was 48, so that’s only 2 to go. I think I’ll put other things aside and do those today and be finished with that project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The thought of doing pieced projects by hand literally just made me shudder.

I ran across a technique called finger embroidery on Pinterest this morning. I pinned some stuff that might work for baby keepsakes, so want to give that a try sometime. It looks easy, fast, and very portable. I wonder if I could do it on long car trips. Probably not on winter roads.

I got 2 AGs cleaned, bleached, and planted, all herbs. I also tossed a bunch of seed packets that got old when I wasn't looking. We haven't had any gardens running for a couple years. I hope the bleach killed off the dang bugs.