2019 Stash Management - Page 23
Page 23 of 194 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dc - I haven't done scarves in a couple of years, at least not to completion. I've worked on some here and there while traveling on the train to see friends.

Right now, I'm glad the p/g afgan is down to my feet (although not long enough to cover them yet). It's around 30-32* at the moment. I'm annoyed because we currently have a wintry mix of snow and freezing rain. So I'm not looking forward to the drive home from work, although it's supposed to transition over to all rain by the time I usually leave work. Then again, it was supposed to transition over around noon, which didn't happen. Of course, Nature doesn't pay attention to the weather forecast. At least we're not getting tons of snow/rain like we did in November. The one road I can see outside my window looks passable but I won't know how slippery things are until I actually leave. But the sun's setting later so I should be able to see while I drive home and I think people may have stayed home (as the road doesn't look that busy).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - this would be maybe 5-6 pieces on an 8-9” block. Crazy quilt type piecing, not fussy everything’s-gotta-match precision sort of thing. Just a few short lines of running stitch.

I’m about half finished with #49.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't mind me, D. I haven't been without a dedicated sewing room since 1982, so it's hard to remember not having at least one sewing machine set up and ready to go 24/7.

I finger embroidered 2 little flowers. They turned out okay but I think I need to review the YT again. They're not quite right. I think these will make nice pins for parents who may not be interested in crosses. I don't think it will take me long to get up to speed on these so I do a better job. They're easy and quick and I can use cheap scrap yarn. Or make tons of one color from a cheap skein. I will need to start looking for cheap faux pearls or other round beads to make the centers. Since we don't have a thrift store anymore and Husby will be retired so we won't have to focus on house projects on weekends, we will probably start going to garage sales again. Anyway, I think I like the finger embroidery so far.
    2019 Stash Management-20190212_194707_1550023528078.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like the flowers.

Scarves are done. Taxes aren’t. Probably this weekend. Today I want to finish putting away all the flotsam from the great furniture shift. Tomorrow I have to go to town and the weekend will mostly be cooking all the meat I’ve had thawing in the fridge. It’s going to be busy with unfun stuff. Real life stinks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I fanally got through the stack of WW magazines and clipped and sorted the recipes I wanted to keep. That stuff was all mixed in with the travel food recipes, so that's all sorted now. That's a separate project which I set aside for now. I haven't worked on that for a couple years so I need to get back to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

haven't been doing much first just usual soreness but had banged my upperarm on a door deep bruise and yesterday managed to cut the tips of both index fingers. did get mils shawl washed. couldn't block it well a cat would sleep on it if I left it flat. not something I can get a good pic of.. did discover I missed a whole dble stitch part skipped to the next. oh well then you know it is hand made!2019 Stash Management-bdayshawl.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M- the shawl looks great. I hate cuts on my fingers. They interfere with so much, far beyond what they look like they should. I hope they heal quickly.

I was a washout today. The weather is really sapping my ability to do much. I spent quite a long time getting the grocery order put together but finally got that submitted for pickup tomorrow afternoon. If I get off soon enough I’ll try to get a haircut before the dental appointment but that may not work out.

There was a minor sale at Better World Books. I ordered a few diabetic cookbooks, and two used ones from Amazon by an author I like. I’m beginning to feel the neuropathy in my feet so I’ve got to start towing the line better. I’m hoping they will inspire me, but the hope is rather faint. Fussing about food is definitely not my thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the trick with food guidelines is to streamline the process as much as possible. One trick, anyway. My goal is always to make meal planning something I don't have to think about much. That's one reason I like WW Freestyle so much. So many free foods I don't have to think about before I eat them.

Not sure what's on my agenda today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The shawl looks nice, Martha! Hope the bruise and cuts heal quickly!

Finished skein #7 and started skein #8 on the p/g afgan last night. Alternating the colors is keeping my interest so I can keep going on it. I think once I finish this one, I'll go back to the wool-blend afgan for myself since there's a bit of color in the yarn (on a grey background) so I keep checking to see how the color lines up as I go along. Single color afgans are good when I just want to zone out a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Martha,

Your shawl looks beautiful. I think we are much "better" our craft mistakes than other people. Crafters tend to see things other people overlook.

I have a stuffed animal on my desk that was a gift from a coworker. It is store bought. It has the manufacturer's tag. But the ears are noticeably not even. And the smile is at an odd angle. Maybe they were going for home made charm? At any rate I still like it. It has a certain amount of charm. But also I like it because someone likes me enough to buy me a stuffed animal.

SD,

A funny thing on finger embroidery. I googled it. And I did see a you tube thing that looks like it matches your flowers. But I also saw a lot of people who had embroidered a hand giving someone the finger. There is this whole area out there called "subversive embroidery" where people embroidery themes that are rude or naughty. Embroidering swear words is also a thing. The whole trend is puzzling. I kind of get that some people want to be edgy. But embroidering helps me to feel happy and relaxed. Embroidering something with such negative emotion would defeat the purpose.

I am thinking of picking up some more die cuts to use with felt I am embroidering. So many of the embroidered hearts had these little tiny felt flowers. I am pretty sure they were die cut. And they are so small I could get little flowers off the small scraps of felt I generally through away.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't heard of subversive embroidery, but I'm not surprised. I found the videos on Pinterest. There are a bunch of them by the same person whose name escapes me.

I can't stop thinking about CH. I hope whatever made her leave FV, that she's okay.

Today I'm going to try doing some machine embroidery to embellish angel boy gowns and pockets. I have to figure out the right colors for the card that came with my machine, because that's where most of my designs are. The color codes for the thread don't match the thread sets I have, and it's hard to figure out what colors need to be used, and in what order. I quit using that machine because it was so frustrating to end up with green squirrels and other weird and ugly embroidery because of the unmatched coding. I'm hoping I can find a conversion chart or something online. Otherwise it's going to be tedious trial and error.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I knew about subversive embroidery but it’s definitely not my thing.

SD - Good luck with your machine embroidery. Green squirrels could have a charm of their own - lol. Ditto on CH.

I’m feeling better today so the cooking can finally get underway. Yesterday was grim. When I got the groceries home I unloaded the frozen and dairy stuff but had to call on my neighbors to bring in the rest for me. This up and down weather with such extremes and the on and off again rain as front after front blows through is killing me. We’re back up to 75-76 today. I’d better cook fast because the next slide down may pretty much confine me to the recliner again.

Yesterday I did something I have never done in my 70 years on this earth. I bailed at the almost literal last minute on the dental appointment. I think I’ve been sleeping poorly with the arthritis pain these last days. When I got comfy in my chair I zonked out before I was even aware it was coming - a real crash. I woke up about 30 minutes before the appointment time. It would take longer than that to just drive there, much less get ready and then leave. I called in a panic and had to reschedule. First option was early April, at an earlier time than i like to cope with, but this was totally my fault so I took it. Let me tell you it’s embarrassing to sleep through a mid afternoon appointment. Fortunately I’ve been a patient there for years, so they were very nice about it. I still had to get it together to go in and pick up the groceries. It felt a little like playing outside after insisting I was too sick to go to school!

I’m writing all this to put off the inevitable. No more procrastination! Off to the kitchen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jackpot! I found online printable thread charts that list many brands by brand and color name printed right on a sample of each color. So excited! Particularly since I picked up some cones very cheap that don't seem to have a brand name at all. I realize the color charts might not be perfect matches but at least there's some semblance of each along with a name to provide a clue.

I spent most of the morning going through all my machinr embroidery thread to see what I actually have. It's not a lot, but all together it's a good basic selection. I was lucky to find an extra starter set of Madeira at SA a year or so ago, in a sealed box for only $3.50. It's the same as the one I had, so that more than doubles my quantity of 12 basic colors. That will help a lot. If I decide to start doing lots of embroidery, I will probably look for a big cheap lot on eBay.

I have bread in the oven using a recipe from my KA book and it's looking good so far. I made one plain loaf and a loaf stuffed with craisins, candied pineapple, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon. Husby likes a loaf like that. This is 100% whole wheat so I hope it turns out well. I keep looking for good whole grain recipes. This recipe makes 2 round loaves in my glass tube pans, which is perfect.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The color charts I found got even better. If I click on a color, a little menu opens up listing 4 colors that can be used in place of the original color, along with each of the 4 by name and number. I'm going to print the basic chart and then go through manually and open each color, then make a written list of the 4 interchangeable colors. I won't have a computer handy when I'm at my machine, si the printed chart and list will come in handy. Having suggestions for alternate colors will help since my options are limited.

I'm looking forward to embroidering stuff now. I can remember sitting at that machine in tears because it was impossible to know what colors went where, and I would end up with little motifs that were just a mess because I couldn't convert to the brand of thread I had. It should be much easier and a lot more fun now. My mom bought me that machine to thank me for driving her all over creation when she was having chemo, so it's special to me and I was always disappointed I wasn't getting more out of it.

I guess it's time to haul out the instruction books and start relearning how to embroider. I don't remember the first thing about it anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is great you figured it out spirit deer! thanks everyone for your compliments. there have been a couple of books from the library about subversive embroidery or cross stitch got them out for ds. you do have to watch sugar etc spirit deer..my mil has had diabetes for decades now has sores on her legs that she didn't even notice..her neighbour in the home did. plus she has a nasty cold so double dose of antibiotics. Her birthday today so the boys who are sick too went and gave her gifts and cake. that way no ones shares germs. she loved the colour lol don't think she will wear it much but I knew that. she just loves that colourway of mandala and we all know how we fall in love with yarn and fabric. at least the snow has turned to rain so snow is being washed away. As long as it doesn't freeze all is good. realized I hadn't washed the fabric that I bought dd for her blanket so did that. may as well be prewashed because it will be lots. here is a pic of my mil in the shawl 2019 Stash Management-gerryshawl.jpg