2019 Stash Management - Page 24
Page 24 of 194 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526273474124 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I jumped the gun again. I remembered the embroidery designs as listing a number on the screen as each color is embroidered. I finally got around to actually sitting at the machine and scrolling through the designs on the card and seeing what some of the colors on certain designs. And they don't come up as numbers, they are just listed by color. :Ugh: For example, the first color listed for a squirrel motif, which just the squirrel with no background, just says "blue". I haven't seen too many blue squirrels. So I will have to experiment my way through each design I want to make after all. Luckily they're all small and there are only 19 of them. They are also camping, oudoors, and wildlife themes, nothing for baby gowns. It's irritating that card did not come with any type of guide, so it's hard to figure out sometimes what I'm looking at, much less what color it should be.

There is some good news though. There are about 20 built in designs, plus maybe a dozen Disney designs. All of those have good color pics on a printed guide, with colors and numbers listed with them. They are all small which is good for my purposes, and sveral will work nicely for little angels. I will be able to make some of them for a boy, girl, or either just by changing one color. Now I just have to figure out how to get the designs in the correct place on the fabric. I bet YT and Pinterest have some tips.

I'm still excited about using this machine.

I also have some nice embroidery stitches on both my Vikings, if I can figure out how to sew a straight line on that slippery satin.

The more I work on these gowns, the more ideas I come up with. 😎

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to say that's a great pic of your MIL. The smile on her face says it all about her new shawl.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The shaw is beautiful and she looks happy.....
    Sunny today...
    SD you are very talented....I'm sure you will figure that machine out in no time....it's all greek to me....lol....
    Ran to Target and got some valentines stuff at 50% off....having right eye done next week so won't be able to get there if it goes to 90%. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bookwormpeg - welcome to the thread! Are you having cataract surgery? Whatever it is, good luck with your eye.

Just working on the meal stash. Yesterday I cooked the meats that I had thawed. Ground beef (sloppy joe, meatloaf, browned for spaghetti sauce and something else to be determined), baked chicken, crock pot with chuck roast and a few extra pieces of chicken. I’ll put those through the food processor and freeze to be used for beef and chicken salad for sandwiches. A pot of brown rice.

Today will be sauces and vegetables. Also I finally must tackle the freezer organization so I can put all of this in it.

Dish washing. Endless dish washing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, Peg! Good to see you here, and thanks!

I tinkered with some of my embroidery stitches on the Tribute today. They might work out. I have a bunch of old thread on wooden spools that isn't any good for actual construction anymore but seems to work fine on the bobbin for the fancy stitches, so that should save on expensive thread. I kept the old thread for the spools, so if I can make use of it, that's a bonus. It won't matter it's weak for decorative stitching.

Mostly today I've been tinkering with recipes and trying new stuff. One thing I've wanted for a while is a recipe to replace the salt packet that comes with ramen. Today I finally found one! I changed it a little but it's a good base to work with, so I'm excited about that. We like ramen and it's okay for us to eat in small amounts, fast and cheap, so it will be handy for lunches after Husby retires.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now I have bread in the Crockpot. It's worth a try. If we like it, it would be handy to take camping, now that I have a dedicated CP onboard. I mixed it in the NTM Correlle bowl I got for the camper last year. I didn't think it would be big enough but it is, barely. Barely is good enough. I plan to make space for the new bowl but don't want to have to bring 2 more. The bread is mixed up with a spoon, kneaded briefly, then put in the CP with parchment. There shouldn't be any cleanup except the bowl, always a consideration. I could put together a bread mix or 2 at home. At camp, all it would need is oil and water, which we always have. The only fridge space would be for a tiny Tupperware dish of yeast. I'm really hoping we like this bread. We have the toaster oven but it's not big enough for bread.

I need to quit looking at Pinterest recipes or I'm going to weigh 400 pounds. 😁

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bread is good! Not as good as my regular bread but considering how easy and quick it is, it's a fair trade off. I like it with garlic and he likes it with jam, which is a good metaphor for our marriage. 🤣 I don't know if I will ever actually make this in camp, but it's nice to have a recipe, so I will add it to the camping cookbooks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Bread is good! Not as good as my regular bread but considering how easy and quick it is, it's a fair trade off. I like it with garlic and he likes it with jam, which is a good metaphor for our marriage. I don't know if I will ever actually make this in camp, but it's nice to have a recipe, so I will add it to the camping cookbooks.
    can you share the recipe?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's the linky for the recipe: https://pin.it/3hbkvdzpwamitw

I have another loaf in the Crock right now. Last night's version was a little crumbly, and I think I might have put too much flour in it when I kneaded it. I added to the point it wasn't sticky. This time, I added a lot less when I kneaded and left the dough smooth but slightly sticky. We'll see what happens.

I also made both loaves using 1.5 cups white whole wheat and 2 cups unbleached flour, which can make a difference. Making breads with more whole grains is a big reason I want this to work for camping. It's expensive to buy whole grain breads in the store especially when we don't know where to buy day old stuff and don't know where to shop for the best deals or, usually, what the ads are in an unfamiliar town. It would be cheaper and more convenient to make it myself. If I can find a recipe this easy I'd be happy to take a few minutes out of my vacation to mix this up. We would usually have time in the evenings to bake it, even on long driving days.

Since I used parchment in the Crock, I didn't have any cleanup. At the most, I would most likely be able to wait to wash the camper's Crock till we got home. For sure, I would not have to wash it each time. That's a big consideration for us when we're usually not hooked up to water and have to haul it to refill our fresh water tank in the camper.

Today I used a roasting rack in the bottom of the Crock. The bottom of the loaf got a bit hard last night. However, I put the bread away last night when it was still a little warm so it would steam, and it's much better today. Still a little crumbly though. If I can't get it so it's not crumbly, I don't think we can use it for sandwiches very well. It would be great for toast though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you put paper bread pans in the crock to bake in? I see them on Amazon.
    I got lace sewn on shortened half-slip. It was a struggle but good enough for now. Likely won't get excessive use but if I need to repair later it won't be as bad. One less item to-be-fixed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quilted 1 block of the yellow flower quilt. It is like wrestling a larger opponent. I need to buy a lightweight quilt batt for the next one to reduce the bulk. This one was medium weight. This is why I usually stick to smaller sizes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you could use a regular bread pan as long as it fit into your Crock. The one I have in the camper is a 4 qt, I think, and it's round, so should make a nice loaf. I can't get in the camper till the snow melts, but I plan to make a few more loaves in that Crock before I attempt it at camp. It might seem like overkill to test all this stuff at home so much, but it's much better to make all my mistakes at home where I have better resources to deal with them.

Today's attempt is less crumbly and also has a nicer crumb, so I'll have to pay closer attention to measurements. The loaf today was more closed with smaller holes and therefore better structure.

The roasting rack in the bottom didn't make any difference. But I don't think my camper Crock has a heat element in the bottom, so the bread browning on the bottom might be a nonissue in a different Crock.

I don't know if a different recipe would matter. All the ones I've seen are very similar. I might try some different ones and see if I can find something else, but I'm okay with this one for now.

I finally figured out I could make little yeast packets from foil and put them in a Ziploc snack bag and they would take even less room than my tiny Tupperware.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As an experiment I have tried embroidery with thread that generally goes in a sewing machine. This little piece is the size of a playing card.

I think it is kind of a toss up for price. So I will probably just go with embroidery thread in the future.

The light blue flower shows a fundamental problem with most of the verigated threads. They tend to have white or a very light shade as one of the colors. They are hard to see on a white or off white background. It kind of looks like it is missing a couple petals.

My next planned project is something larger with the big pack of pearl cotton 8 I picked up not long ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190217_172220552_1550442691466.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks good, Kathy. Good to know.

We got a couple wins in the food department this weekend. Husby mixed up a recipe for sugar free hot cocoa and he liked it, so that's a win for camping and home.

At long last my search is over for a ranch seasoning dip mix. I've looked for years and tried lots of different ones, but now I have it. I found one the other day that looked good, added onion and garlic to it, and now it's just right. I'm hoping we will like it for dressing, too.

I found a seasoning mix for salsa. Never thought about looking for that, but it might be worth a try. Same for another mix for Fiesta Dip. Never heard of it but it looks good. And Montreal steak seasoning. We like the McCormick version but I quit buying it due to cost and sodium. We always liked it, so maybe we can have it again after I cut the salt way back. I found other stuff, too. It should all help save money and keep our food more interesting.

It's been fun looking at Pinterest lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I took a day off from cooking and tomorrow is the great thrift store expedition. By Tuesday the pork loin will be thawed and I will finish up in a day or two then. Tonight I’ll finish putting away the groceries, get the kitchen back in temporary order, putting all the mountains of washed dishes and pans away.