2019 Stash Management - Page 25
Page 25 of 194 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627283575125 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted before I saw your post Kathy. I think other threads will work better. I agree about variegated thread. Using them in cross stitch is tricky too. They have to be matched carefully with backgrounds. There is the same problem with working on mid range color backgrounds. The threads have to be dark or light or they just fade away.

Sharon talked with a Goodwill high up here and got some info about stores. We are starting with the largest one, then two mid size one, and ending with the mark down store. I foresee a huge lapse from stash building abstinence.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy hunting at the thrifts, D. Our next foray will be March 14 and we're probably going to Duluth. I'm on the hunt for gowns and some other things at Savers and the big GW hub that's there. We might risk our lives and hit some SA stores too. And JA, of course. Gonna be spendy. For once, I'm looking forward to shopping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am trying out a new sugar free product called sweet drops. It is made with stevia. Stevia is a plant based sugar substitute that is supposed to be better for you than the chemical based sugar substitute.

They are little bottles with stevia and natural flavors. There is also a "clear" which is just the stevia. You can add them to tea, coffee, water, sparkling water, juice. Probably any beverage. I like all the flavors I have tried so far. Yesterday I put some chocolate drops with some mint tea. It was really good. I was surprised to find that it worked without any milk or milk substitute.

I have also tried a couple of brands that are just the flavor drops with no sweetener of any type. Those are pretty good too. One brand is called Weldon and another is called flavor essence. I have more in the mail from a company called nature's flavors. I like those in tea.

All of them are small sized bottles that would be easy to take in a camper. The sweet drops have a good enough lid that they would probably be okay in a backpack or purse.
    KathyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The only stevia product I have tried is a stevia sucrolose blend. I wasn’t happy with it. It had a sort of cinnamon undertone. I slogged through it but it did my tea no favors. I’m sure there are more satisfactory ones. I have some flavoring drops but end up never using them in tea or water. Even when I buy flavored tea I usually put off using it. It’s really tiime to admit I just like hot tea straight and strong. I never sweeten iced tea. At present I have some blackberry tea and vanilla tea. I’ll use them eventually but I always think I will enjoy them more than I actually do.

I’ll check in a shopping report later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I generally don't add anything to my teas (hot or cold), except to plain hot black tea that I usually have first thing in the morning. Then again, I usually have flavored (but not sweetened) tea or herbal teas that I find don't need sweetening. So I don't have sugar at home. I do have honey for the rare times that I want to sweeten my tea, which isn't often and usually is just the echencea tea when I'm sick.

Did finish skein #8 and started skein #9 on the p/g afgan. It's about 55-60% done. Skein #9 is about halfway done so I should have finish that skein off in the next two days or so. By the time I finish with the p/g afgan, I'll be able to go back to the wool-blend afgan I'm making for myself. It should be warm enough by them that not having something covering my legs shouldn't be a problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Kathy. We use Splenda which has been satisfactory. We don't use it a lot. Diet pop is our worst offense, but we drink less than one can per day, usually. We work to cut sugar in general and not replace it with other sweeteners including honey. I like using Splenda because it can be used in baking and it's measured the same as sugar, so no tricky math.

I'm figuring out my embroidery machine. I think it's going to be extremely useful. I have at least 6 little designs I can use for boys, and lots more for girls. Not sure I like the green elephant and probably won't do that again. The teddy bear will be great because it's gender neutral, or I can change colors easily.
    2019 Stash Management-20190218_134439_1550520076704.jpg

I also figured out the cones of embroidery thread I got cheap won't fit in the cassette that goes in my machine. But 2 seconds after the frown hit my face over that, I remembered something I saw on Pinterest that should fix the problem. People hot glue a bobbin to an empty thread spool. Then the bobbin is put on the winder, and the spool can be filled from the cone using the bobbin winder. Fortunately, I emptied a couple spools recently so I picked those out of the trash to give this idea a try. I think I will have 4 colors that will need spools modified for them, but I have quite a few spools of thread with little dabs left on them. I've been trying to use those up lately, so I know I will have more empties before long. Good thing Brother bobbins are dirt cheap and I have millions. 🙂 I may be able to figure out a way to make the cones work, but I'm not optimistic.

I got 3 ivory pockets cut out to play around with embroidery, and 8 more cut from some light green satin. Need to do at least 5 more pockets from that. I will make boy styles from all of those. They should go fast with no messing around with lace on the edges.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am back from stalking Goodwill. I brought home quite a bit of loot. We only went to three. The fourth, the largest one, was over in Bossier City across the river to the east and we were way over on the far west side of Shreveport. We had all had enough by then anyway.

The first two had very little except clothing. It was fairly priced if I were buying it to actually wear but was pricier than I wanted for my needs. At these I bought some children’s clothing, the best deal since I don’t need much of anything. The first store was the only where there was any bona fide craft stuff, and I bought pretty much all of it. There were two 45x60 cotton batts for 1.99, and two zip lock bags with assorted stuff, .99 each. One has five or six packages of bias tape, 8 strofoam eggs, some wide net ribbon, and a handkerchief I will probably toss. The other bag had a pouch I wanted made from neutral satin and brocade type fabrics. There were some Persian wool kit threads, a printed (cross stitch?) scene on very fine count, and other kit and random stuff I will most likely discard. I also got three or four ties at these stores, two spools of ribbon, a basket for the kitchen and set of coasters that I need.

Our third stop was the markdown store. The ones with me were rather freaked out by it but it reminded me of the department store bargain basements of my childhood. Every was piled in bins and you just had to dig through it. I picked up more clothing there and might have added some rejects had I known how cheap it would actually be. In addition to that I picked up an autumn wreath made of wide sparkly net ribbon in dark and medium brown, and a huge ball of extremely wide royal blue net ribbon with metallic lines. All of that was 1.69. I picked up a ring bearer’s pillow with nice satin and lace (.99?) and weirdest purchase of the day, a beaded curtain for .99. The beads are large in brown, goldfish, and off white. I probably would use any with the embroidery, but someday I want to make some wreaths and they will be great for that. If I never get to it, it’s not much lost.

I’ll get some pictures up in coming days of the “stuff” and of the fabrics when I take the clothing apart and get it into flat foldable pieces.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My next embroidery work in progress. I think I will probably just get solid colors from now on. But I will still use some of the verigated colors I have. I am doing this on a brown background so white bits will show up.

Stiching on color can be tricky. For the hearts there were some reds that did not show up well so I did not use them.

This is the size 8 pearl cotton. I am still on the fence between this thickness and something thinner. This is a larger piece. I think about six inches around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190218_173410462_1550530452720.jpg  

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a good haul, D. I never thought of neckties but that can be some nice stuff. The big GW in Duluth where we're going next month has a bargain bin room like that. I loved the one at the main SA in Minneapolis. It was packed with huge shallow bins, and overseen by a guy who was kind of scary-looking till I talked to him and found out he was very sweet and funny. No prices on anything, he just made something up when people were done shopping. Stuff was always dirt cheap. I got a new base to replace the broken one on our Kitchen Center for $1. Still have it, in fact. It was even the right color, harvest gold. Fantastic! Dang, but I love a good scrounge!

Now I want to go thrifting. Can't wait to see your pics so I can live vicariously.

I had Husby help me and I pulled the wire out of 3 spools of wired ribbon. I got 6 spools for $3 a couple years ago but it didn't work to make rosettes for the babies, which is why I wanted it. It's the ribbon on this little gown.
    2019 Stash Management-20190114_201107_1550537252881.jpg
    I think it looks nice on boy gowns. It has little tiny roses on it but they're subtle. With Husby holding on to one end, I could easily pull out the 9 feet of wire on each side of the ribbons. I condensed the reels and got rid of 2, so I managed some stash while I was at it. I also found a 50 foot (yd?) reel of blue grosgrain ribbon from GW, which I need. I forgot I had it. I'm glad I found it before I bought something else. I prefer satin but since I have it, I'm happy to use it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the grosgrain ribbon is 100 yds. Whatever, it was a great deal either way.

I found 100 yd. reels of 1/4" satin ribbon on eBay for $5.39 each. Yes, please! I ordered four, yellow, pink, blue, and white. It will last me a long time, especially the non-white colors. I will use the grosgrain for the bigger sizes sometimes, but it's 3/8" so might not work the best for the tiny stuff. I'm amazed to find it at that price in the US. I hope it's nice stuff, since I bought so much of it.

Why is it such a good feeling to be well supplied?

I was making a French knitted ropy hood string for Husby's hoody when he announced he was going to donate it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I didn’t realize you could get the wire out of ribbon. That’s one to file away for the future.

I thought the scrounge was fun too. Treasure hunting instead of shopping. Everything there is sold by weight. I had 3 pounds of clothing that came to about $5. It would have been much less but I got one adult dress that had a top encrusted with bling. That added a good bit of weight.

I will almost certainly go back some day by myself and have a leisurely rummage. Maybe in the late summer or fall. I can’t pretend I need anything - at all - but it’s pretty cheap entertainment too. I’ll have to figure out though how to get there from here. It was the one on the far west side, unknown territory to all of us. We came at it today from a different direction, with considerable suspicion of the computer directed route. I’ll have to look at a map. I can’t quite envision how or where these roads connect to those roads coming from the south. That might be an adventure all it’s own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if all wire pulls out of all ribbon. I got the first one out by myself but it was a lot easier with an assistant. I wanted to keep the wire for other uses, so didn't want to cut it. I wrapped that all on an empty spool.

The Google Maps app seems to be fairly good, for Android anyway. We haven't road tested it yet though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we are going to vegas next weekend for a few days and I want to hit some thrift shops and yarn stores. just have been working on my dd crocheted blanket treble crochet front and back so takes a while and old hands. most thrift stores here charge more then the reg stores for craft stuff so don't look much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Last night I disassembled is clothes from the second store where, I think, I also got the craft things. I’ll try to get some pictures later.

We are having a wonderful rainy day, alternating plain rain with thunderstorms. The low area by the house is already well on the way to its wetland state. That will make the herons happy. They sometimes drop by a visit. They have to go to the pond for fish but they probably find little frogs there. The rain is supposed to go on until dawn tomorrow, but that can change. Right now it has paused for a bit, but with more coming within the hour.

This is going to be a cooking day again. I have ribs and a thawed pork loin to cook, and I need to do more vegetables. Some to roast, some for stovetop cooking, and a lot to chop for salad. During breaks I’ll keep working on the stuff I got yesterday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cooked today too, if you count making Jell-O as cooking.

I worked on baby pockets but didn't get far. I ran into lots of frustration. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

I'm still messing with recipes and finding interesting stuff. Can't wait to try the dill pickle popcorn seasoning.