2019 Stash Management - Page 28
Page 28 of 194 FirstFirst ... 18252627282930313878128 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Newer thread on the spindle did the trick. I can use old thread in the bobbin OK. 11 of 18 flower blocks are quilted although some will need partial re-do (folds or tension on the back side.) But I did get a lot done today. May need more thread and thinking I will buy some yardage in a yellow print to make binding instead of buying bias quilt binding. That probably won't be for a couple of weeks.

We "sold" the old Prius and they are holding the funds for deposit on the new one. Still at least 10 days to wait. I turned in the old rental car and they gave me a newer one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, yea, me! I just stumbled across some recipes for making things with tomato powder. I've been thinking for a while about making tomato paste with it, but this little collection of recipes included stuff like sauce, soup, and something we've missed since having to quit it, tomato juice. I had fleetingly thought about that, too, but hadn't gone much beyond that first thought. I tried that out already using the suggested ratio of powder to water, and we agreed it wasn't quite right. It will never be like the canned stuff because of the hideous amount of salt that contains, but I tinkered with it a little, and we think I will be able to come up with something we will like. We especially miss tomato juice when we travel, so it will be nice if we can have a new and improved version.

Husby misses canned tomato soup, so I hope to make a good recipe for that from tomato powder, too. The recipe I found claims it tastes like Campbell's so we will find out. Husby needs to eat more veggies, and if he could have tomato soup again, that would help. I'm sure getting a lot out of my time on Pinterest lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

aches and pains put a damper on lots of things. think I lose a few days every month to that time of the month. not much can do it about it. of course other ones too lol well not much crafting but got some lion brand wool ease yarn. 9 or 10 including a half price mandala since it was missing a label so marked down

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like people got things done, even if it was only in spurts.

Finished skein #10 and started skein #11 on the p/g afgan. I'll probably end up using 14 skeins, leaving me with a couple extra. That's ok, though. I can probably use them for either scarves or in a rag-bag afgan.

I'll probably go to my wool-blend afgan once I finish this one, depending on how cold March gets. I do have a blue one I started that I will probably donate some place if I need something long enough to cover my legs (or will relatively quickly).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YYYYAAAAAASSSSSS!

I decided to try one last time to try to install our old Word 2007 software on my new laptop. Husby and I have both been trying to get it to work for weeks, off and on, with Husby working on it for hours over the weekend. We had concluded we would have to spend $150 on new software which did not make us happy. But today for some reason it asked me to configure it, then let me go through the whole process and register the software. So far it's working fine. I hope that continues. I would be very happy not to have to buy new software right now.

I also figured out I can copy my angel gown pics I've been saving, and get about 6 of them on a page. I really didn't want to have each one on a separate page, which would be way too much. All I need is a little pic to see the ideas, since it's not a detailed pattern and there's no text.

I seem to be on a run of getting things to work out my way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby came home, turned Word on, and it's still working. It's starting to feel like relief. Sure glad we didn't give up. We had resigned ourselves to buying new software when we go to Duluth. I'll give it two weeks to fail me but if it doesn't, we won't be buying anything new. I wonder if it would then be acceptable to spend the $150 next door to Best Buy at JA. Probably not.

Husby is training Storm to down, stay for his evening snacks. It's hilarious! The sass Husby is getting is phenomenal. Storm is doing what he's told, more or less, but he's making darn sure Husby knows he's not happy about it. This is only the third night and Storm is already getting it that Dad isn't going to be such a pushover anymore. It's progress. He already has to behave for me at noon, so it's not like he doesn't know how, he's just stubborn. It makes me hopeful we will eventually get him trained to behave in a campground.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Poor Storm. Itís hard not to be the center of the universe.

I did transfer the pattern to one backing piece, and decided it was not worth it. I want to embroider but not that much. I have pulled some fabrics but gone no farther. I could of course embroider on anything, but I really want to start with the crazy quilt style.

So for the present itís back to crochet. I finished one scarf. Then I started one of the baskets Iím making for Christmas. Using three strands and a big hook is tiring for my hands, so Iíve also started another scarf to alternate with the basket.

Last night I watched a YouTube on scrappy quilt strips paper pieced on 3Ē cash register tape rolls. Thatís a clever idea. Absolutely straight edges on long strips isnít easy, at least for me with my kindergartener quilting skills. I have lots of scraps so I went on the hunt for tape rolls. Amazon - nope. Few choices that width and I donít need cases of them. eBay next. I have been good and not been on it for a while. They offered me a $5 coupon for anything over $5. I have no idea why. The cheapest was a lot of five with ďtechnicallyĒ free shipping for 9.50. With the coupon it dropped it to 4.50 so I ordered it. Thatís still enough to cover lawn in quilt strips. If I used quilt as you go, I could probably manage a quilt on my standard machine because I would not have fabric collecting under the arm of the machine. Thatís something I definitely want to try. When I can sit up at a table again. Meanwhile, grab my crochet hook and keep whittling down the excessive yarn stash. Three strands at a time is a champion at using it up.

Too many projects. Too little time to do it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did crazy quilting for a little bit a while back. Now that I am getting back to embroidery, I may give it another try. I am leaning a bit more toward some of the ideas I saw in improve quilting. It is similar to crazy quilting in that random pieces are used. But the colors are less random. For example, I might have a large flower shape made up of little pieces of various different pink flowers. So the look is less random even though the individual pieces are random shapes.

I am still debating the specifics of my embroidery thread. Do I try to get the whole rainbow? One red, one orange, one yellow, etc. I do get four or five shades of my favorite color? I might eventually build up having several shades of every color. But not right now, especially when I am trying different brands and sizes to see what I like best. I am moving toward the kind of free form designs where I could use whatever colors I choose.

I also have a few simple pictures I may trace and fill in. But many of them are things that are not dependent on being a specific color.

For the wool felt blends for the back ground I would pick some white and off white. I also want one or two dark sheets. I want to try embroidering something light colored on them. A song I like has the line "The darker the night, the brighter the light." I would like to stitch that with yellow thread on a black or navy blue background. I am also planning to pick up the $5 felt scraps grab bag. I could do little pieces on the various scraps I get.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy, that’s how I’ll be doing the crazy quilting. I really dislike the random ones that just look like a mess to me. I’ve pulled fabrics from color groups - a set for yellow, set for dark blue, etc. I like that effect.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - if you are interested in variegated at all I have two recommendations.

The first is Colourcomplements (note the British spelling) on Etsy. If I remember the seller is in Canada. She has overdyed thread, both perle, including 8 and 12, and six strand floss. The color is more confined to an intensity range on many so there is not the wide swing from dark to light and so easier to use. It’s a bit pricey but I ordered some and the thread is really beautiful. The first lot I got was so impressive I ordered a second group.

The other is Threadworx on 123stitch site. Again there are many without a large light to dark spread. I have a lot of this and was using it with black work and Quaker cross stitch. Again it’s not cheap, but is very nice thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Right now I am kind of leaning away from the variegated. I plan to use what have, but going forward I think I will concentrate on solid colors. I think it is a bit like how I felt with yarn. When I was doing something that was all one yarn, I liked the multi colored yarn. But when I was doing several different yarns I like to have solid yarns of different colors.

I might try something with just one ball of multi-colored thread though.

It occurs to me that when I look at variegated thread and yarn, what I am really responding to is the color combinations. And I can create those those with individual threads. For example, I might use blue, green and blue green thread to mimic the effects of a blue to green variegated. Initially that seems like buying three threads when I could just buy one. But the individual threads would be more versatile. They could be used with more different combinations.

I am leaning now toward green, blue-green, blue, blue-purple and purple. But I am thinking of doing some cats and other animals, so maybe some more natural fur colors like brown, gray, black and white.

I have been browsing embroidery patterns on urban threads. Many of the hand embroidery patterns are only a dollar or two. Since they are download patterns, I will only get one shortly before I do it. It avoids the problem of buying lots of patterns then only using one or two of them. I am drawn to one that says "born to be mild" with a picture of a cat. Sometimes I feel like we are in a culture that idealizes adventure, boldness and the "born to be wild" ideal. People like me, whose personality runs the opposite direction, are often portrayed as boring. So it feels a bit life affirming to have something that portrays my lifestyle in a positive manner.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hooray! My knee is somewhat better today. Last night I was considering whether medical attention was in order but was a bit perplexed by how to get it since I didn’t think I would be able to get in the car. However now I’m convinced I can just ride it out unless it gets that severe again.

I finished the basket I was making last night so I have two of four done for Christmas. I will probably try to finish the scarf today or tomorrow, or start the next basket. Instead of putting the crocheting away I will probably keep a basket in progress. I have two more to make for Christmas and I want to make several more for me. I also want to keep making scarves along to donate for next winter.

Today I think I should be able to clear off the table and set up the sewing machine if I do it in short bits. Last night I transferred another hexagon pattern to muslin, and cut the fabric pieces for the first one. I just started pulling fabric tubs from the top down so the first three hexagons will be yellow, white, black. In the intervals I will crochet. The kitchen, as always, needs cleaning but I’m not up to that yet. I hope by tomorrow I will be able to start catching up on that, at least a little.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost finished with skein #11 on the p/g afgan. Won't get a chance to get anything done on it tonight as I have the Herbalism class tonight. (This is the only week when it's on a different night than usual.) I should still have the skein done by the end of the week, though. I'll probably end up putting a lot of work in on it on Saturday, as I don't really have anything planned. Although, I do have a lot of Great Courses lectures on DVD to catch up on. I'm really enjoying learning a lot of different topics through these lectures and I can do my crocheting while I watch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No crafting going on as I seem to be just tackling individual nuisance problems as they come up - getting prescription filled following insurance change, getting car insurance & rental car sorted out. Need to come up with info for parents' taxes. Laundry and shop for dog food. Drudge work.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hate drudge work. Hope you can do something fun soon.

My new machine embroidery hoops and 40-cone collection of thread arrived, after two weather delays. I'm pleased with it all. The cones fit in the cassette on my machine, which will make things easier. There is such a nice selection of colors I shouldn't need to buy anything else, unless I come across something secondhand.