2019 Stash Management - Page 31
Page 31 of 181 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233344181131 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD - I feel for Husby. That last week or two at the library was years long. I just so wanted to be done with it!

I sewed the pieces for the first hexagon. Well not the first in book to do, but the first I have put together. Last night I divided them into piles to sew with black, grey, dark brown, and off white. The first I will be working on is black fabric, but the first in that pile was a purple one. It took way too long but they should go faster now. I’m determined to sew them all before I start the embellishment or the sewing machine will go away and I’ll just do the fun stuff. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't wait to see the pics, D. I remember you wanting to be done with work, too. I'm sure it's that way for lots of people. With us it seemed like forever and that was at the beginning of the year. That time went fast but now it's dragging. I want to do stuff to make the time go faster but I get distracted by the dumbest little things that all seem to suddenly be urgent. Then those things get distracted by something before the previous things are done. At least I managed to get a load of dishes washed, finally. Pathetic.

I also got the bean dip made. I've never had bean dip. I don't know why, since we like beans. It turned out good, after I doubled most of the seasonings. I think I will add some onion flakes to future batches, too. I like this recipe because all the ingredients are shelf stable. It's also cheap to make and healthy. The main cost is a can of beans. My Corelle dish worked nicely. I used a fork to mash the beans but a mini masher would be better. I might get all extravagant and buy one at WM if I don't find one at a thrift before too long. The burritos are just the bean dip slathered on tortillas with onion, tomato, and bell pepper sprinkled over. They should work great to make ahead if I leave out the tomato, and the recipe only makes 4, so not a lot of fridge storage needed. I can roll these up in wax paper, add a side salad or coleslaw, or some fresh veggies, add some fruit for dessert, plus a tiny baby Snickers, pack everythinh in our bentos and stash in the cooler, and that will be a good healthy lunch. Hope Husby likes these because he'll probably have to eat them even if he doesn't. 😁 The burrito recipe calls for ready made bean dip, which I'm sure has too much stuff we don't need, so I was happy to find the HM recipe on Pinterest.

I'm still tinkering with the Doritos popcorn seasoning. It's good so far, but not Doritos yet. I'm enjoying the taste testing though. The spray-on fake butter is really good on popcorn, too.

Isn't it next Tuesday yet? Or spring?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got the ones done that were dark enough to use black thread. They were getting faster as I went along. The stretchy slippery ones were trickier, but not as bad as I expected. The white stitch line is the edge where it will be trimmed when finished.

Iíve also included the book I will be using. Please note that th professional ones are also not perfectly flat. Adds character.

I give up on getting these right side up. They are what they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-09c0df79-4052-412e-900a-ebcd89399fcf.jpg

2019 Stash Management-3f139bc2-f45a-4428-a75f-ef2186ae3090.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by knotme View Post
    I've been missing for a bit. But have been spending time in the most important way. Rocking the grandbaby. So snuggles and rocking and sleeping in my arms and so forth. The wedding was this last Sunday, and little miss ( grandbaby) was a hit at the wedding. The bride took the baby and placed her into the groom's arms when he wasn't expecting it and his reaction and face was priceless, the reaction captured on camera and also placed on facebook. So I have been taking time off for this and just some major relaxation.
    I have tried string piecing on the used cash register receipts and they turn black when you press the seams on them. I haven't tried that on the not used, brand new rolls. I actually have a lot of those as my dh picked up a bunch at an auction so not a lot of money used there. I have used the rolls for word strips for teaching music and words to children for our church. but like I said I still have lots of those rolls to use. This week will be more grandbaby hugs and snuggles until they head for home the 11th. ( there is a slew of sewing jobs already lined up to come in next week so then it will be back to that type of work and getting my fixes in for what I want to do around those)
    new baby snuggles are the best!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not much happening on crafting front ..not even at guides. have been kinda out of it...not much of anything..housework, laundry etc. reg stuff. did a couple rows on the cowl from airplane trip but that is it. must be planets out of whack or something.. teens breaking things attitude etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

baby is being blessed this Sunday, and we are having people over for food/dinner so I am having to put away most of my crafting/sewing stuff. got to have the kitchen table to serve food. so just cleaning happening here other than baby snuggles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think we all have day, weeks, months where we do little or no crafting. Life happens. I have been through it myself.

I do not have as much time to craft as many people here. Well my life is what it is. Too young to retire and too late to decide to be a stay at home mom. My only child is thirty-one.

Well overall my life is pretty good. I feel like being frugal has helped a lot with that. Not penny pinching but learning how to get the best for my money. My clothes are thrift store finds and Old Navy sales and stuff I made or modded. But I am genuinely happy with them. I don't feel like I have settled. Doing crafts for less. Finding cheap or free books. Having good food to eat.

Really the only thing I want is more free time. In a way I will eventually buy that by retiring earlier than many of my coworkers. So frugality is helping me get that back to.

I kind of rambled a bit there. I was going to talk about my embroidery. For now I will just post this work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Stash Management-img_20190307_053503443_1551976894925.jpg

KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very pretty, D. Now I understand what you're doing. I couldn't quite picture the hexes. Do you have any decorative stitches on your machine, or will it all be hand embroidery?

Your embroidery is coming along nicely, Kathy. You do beautiful stitching.

I have a quick Spanish rice in the little rice cooker for experimentation right now. I tried browning some SPAM in the cooker before adding everything else, but that didn't work too well. I don't think the cooker gets hot enough for frying. This is why I experiment at home, so I have a better idea what works or doesn't. I won't add SPAM again, no matter how much we love it, and probably won't try frying other stuff in the cooker, either. But I plan to keep trying different things in the cooker. I think it would be more useful in the camper than the Crockpot, and would take about the same space. I like it for making potato salad, because I can cook the eggs and potatoes in it at the same time. This rice dish is supposed to be for a wrap filling, but it would be good for a side dish, too. I just have to get the seasonings right. This recipe is a good candidate for making a mix ahead of time so I would only have to add water and a can of tomatoes at camp, no fridge space needed. I've taste tested this now and it's pretty bland. I think I may be looking for Mexican rice instead of Spanish. Oh, well, same concept, just different seasonings. I will have to make a padded case for the rice cooker.

Husby's job was posted on the system yesterday, so it's getting real now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kathy - thatís nice work. I like the color shading.

Despite the angles in the photo they really are hexagons - lol. The large muslin backing will let me work them in a hoop. The goal for today is to finish them all, and then spend the weekend on the house. Lots of decluttering to do. I donít know if I can get them all finished today but Iím going to give it a shot. Long sewing sessions really wear me down. I get bored with it really easily. They are going faster now that Iím getting a feel for what needs to be (pretty) exact and what doesnít.

So quick meals, resolutely pretending I donít see the kitchen, and lots of sewing. I am really ready for all this preliminary work to be done.

I almost finished the scarf last night, but about 8Ē from the end put it down and pressed all the pieces and muslin backings. I had them folded into packets to keep sets together so they needed ironing. To finish them, I will add a layer of fleece or batting, the a back that is just rolled over the edge and stitched down, the way the book shows. I donít have the iron on fleece so when itís finished Iíll probabky just add a few seed beads here and there, sewing through all the layers to tack then together.

SD - it will all be hand stitching.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - wishing you and your husby a good retirement. its a whole different (but good) way of life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For my embroidery I am using two different threads for the flower petals. The first four (all complete) are a yellow and white variegated. The other four (one and half done) are a yellow-orange and white variegated. The colors will be alternating, yellow, yellow-orange, yellow, yellow-orange, etc. The thread I am working with currently only has 5 grams per ball (normal is 10 grams). I was not sure if one ball would fill all 8 petals. I decided half and half would look better than having one or two petals different.

The issue with this big batch of cheap thread is that it is only sold a set. So if I run out of a color, I would need to get a whole new set to get more. I don't think I would do that. I am happy with this purchase, but I will probably go with other thread in the future. On the other hand, using up leftover bits of thread on free form projects might be fun too. I don't have any colors I strongly dislike, so it could work. However, if there is huge quality difference between this thread and the other stuff, I may not bother using this up.

It might be interesting to have some solid colors and do controlled shading on flowers. For example, many flowers have a darker/more intense color near the center. I could do something like that with thread.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, EB. Three work days, 3 hours to go. It's going to be so weird to be able to sleep later and do as we please without much of a schedule. And mid-week camping! We've been looking forward to that for years, to avoid weekend crowds. Being able to go shopping out of town during the week will be nice too, because of all the places not open on weekends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is lovely embroidery kathy. Michaels has cheap sets of embroidery floss. got some for ds 4 bucks for a big mixed pack.

actually sewed for the first time in years probably a decade. machine works except the reverse doesn't seem to want to work. a kenmore about 20yrs old. started on dd queen size blanket cover. one size the cloth is patterned and only need 2 pieces but the other size is 2 and 1/2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I’ve had a kenmore machine and liked it. It was probably of about the same vintage.

I didn’t finish the hexagons and I take back what I said about the fancy fabrics not being as hard as I expected. I hit a group that gave me a lot of quality time with my seam ripper and some bits are still going to be quite “professionally textured.” One piece of velvet was determined to be rolling hills. Whatever. At that point I pulled out all the mixed fabric pieces and with rising exasperation worked through them. When I finished the last I was more than ready to quit. I have some left to do today but they are all cotton and bright cheerful colors. It will be a better day.

It will also be a warmer day. After the arctic chill we are going to hit 75 today. It’s not supposed to rain until tomorrow so I should be able to open up the house this afternoon. It will be very humid but at least the plants will like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's warming up here, too. It was +5 this morning. Warmer now.

Are you pinning your patchwork parts, D? Are you trimming them after sewing or before? I have trouble sewing slippery fabrics, too. It's annoying. I use quilt clips sometimes and it helps in some situations. I recently bought some jumbo quilt clips for projects where I will need to clip things farther from the edge of the fabric. Haven't used them yet but love the smaller ones, so I'm expecting the same with the new ones.

With the smaller ones, I clip the pieces together and don't unclip them till the presser foot hits the side of the clip. It's REALLY annoying trying to serge satin. The serger's cutter won't cut that stuff and that causes all kinds of problems. Consequently I can only serge a 1/4" seam which, if it shifts, causes another kind of problem. Try searching Pinterest or YT for tips on sewing different types of fabrics. There are usually helpful tips if you dig enough, and IMO it's worth the time to figure out what I'm doing wrong and save myself aggravation and cussing later on.

I had a top of the line Kenmore machine, years and years ago. I drove 90 miles one way for service for that thing about once a month. I liked it but the timing was a constant problem. Back then, gas was cheap and there was no internet to help me figure out how to DIY. After about five years of that nonsense I traded the Kenmore in on my Viking 990, which has given me fairly minimal problems since 1986, considering how hard I've worked it.

The Spanish rice was a win. Husby liked it cold. I prefer it warm, but it'll work fine either way. I think I will be making that up as a mix even to use at home. I save those waxy bags from cereal and snack crackers, and I can make up mixes for camping and use the FS to seal them up for travel. That will save space and be more convenient than getting out all the seasoning ingredients at camp. I'd just have to dump the mix in the cooker, add water and a can of tomatoes, and let it cook itself. I might add some beans and cheese to it instead of the SPAM. Beans are a 0 point food and it doesn't take much cheese to make it taste good, so that would be a good protein addition. Add a side salad of some kind and it's a quick easy meal.